What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama

wutwut

Veteran
420giveaway
8 weeks 12/12

keeper #1
1.png

2.png

2-1.png

2-2.png

keeper #2
3.png

4.png

random pheno
5.png

having some issues with nutes but they are growing

skoviik

Anyone else notice caterpillars seem to prefer the Panama over other strains? They’re the only plants in the garden with them and they’re getting absolutely hammered.

They also currently smell the best out of everything in the garden.

Nope, I noticed nothing irregular regarding caterpillars with my panamas. Though I can't remember I ever had problems with caterpillars and ganja. Do you have any photos of these caterpillars?

Heavy winds with heavy rain have made my panamas lean real low and almost uprooted them. If they survive tonight and tommorow morning then they should be just fine. No point in picking them up since they could break off of the root. When the wind will die down they'll pick themselves up.

20211007_093511.jpg

Cactus Squatter

Nope, I noticed nothing irregular regarding caterpillars with my panamas. Though I can't remember I ever had problems with caterpillars and ganja. Do you have any photos of these caterpillars?

Heavy winds with heavy rain have made my panamas lean real low and almost uprooted them. If they survive tonight and tommorow morning then they should be just fine. No point in picking them up since they could break off of the root. When the wind will die down they'll pick themselves up.

next one I find I’ll snap a photo. I find them by either seeing black balls on the leaves, or damaged spots on the flower. I follow them in and boom, trail of caterpillar poop and then a chubby green bastard gorging away boring tunnels through the buds.

It had been only the Panamas, but they seem to have found a KA5H as well that I discovered this morning.

bushed

Anyone else notice caterpillars seem to prefer the Panama over other strains? They’re the only plants in the garden with them and they’re gettibsolutely hammered.

They also currently smell the best out of everything in the garden.

I've noticed in the past the caterpillars prefer the most fragrant plants, absolute nightmare as they seem to get stuck and die, this then attracts mites (does anyone know if it's the same mites that attack dead insects and plants)? This then creates a spot for mold to fester which will quickly ruin the whole branch if not spotted early.

In my country it's the tiny black catipillar that turn into the tiny moths.

Common Sense

I feel with you. Caterpillars were a total nightmare with our kale last year, they killed almost all of it. My wife and I spent hours and hours picking them off for weeks. Hundreds from the white butterflies. Whenever we thought we had absolutely all of them there were more just a couple days later. Definitely need some fine netting the next time.

skoviik

Cactus Squatter those filthy caterpillars. I feel you too and I hope you will be able to harvest as much as possible. Sadly I don't have any quick solution for you :( Egg spotting is probably the best, maybe someone knows if you could sprinkle them with something (I don't use anything so I don't know anything about that, maybe it's also too late for that).
Could your caterpillar be a cabbage moth? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_moth

I always strive to have an ugly garden full of weeds. I do not like to plant monocultures, I always mix plants (onions with carrots , beans and corn, beans and beat etc...) In polycultures, especially if you have lots of other flowers, the pest find it harder to find your plants, spend more energy on searching rather than on reproducing. It may look ugly because of all the weeds but the end result, the yield is the same. In outdoor gardening, be it ganja or other plants, I believe that biodiversity is always the foundation of success.

Cactus Squatter

Mmmmm, sweet Panama goodness. She smells amazing right now.
had Click image for larger version  Name:	903BDE5A-2F64-4E66-8530-A2FF74CBA86C.jpeg Views:	12 Size:	96.6 KB ID:	17965969 a little “mud rain” last night that unfortunately left some deposits on them, but overall looking killer.

Last edited:
Un par de Panamás.

Olor muy intenso a limón con tonos dulces. Nunca defrauda, y seguramente como todos los años sea la mejor...

Attachments

• 20211014_132104.jpg
    20211014_132104.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20211014_132226.jpg
    20211014_132226.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211014_132108.jpg
    20211014_132108.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211014_132155.jpg
    20211014_132155.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211014_132239.jpg
    20211014_132239.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 36
  • 20211014_132206.jpg
    20211014_132206.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211014_132135.jpg
    20211014_132135.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 35

skoviik

Humple W. could be...IMHO even if she doesn't finish, she's still ripe enough to be an excellent smoke. She look beautiful, can smell her throuhg my screen🤩

We've had interesting weather to say at least. Since the end of september we've had rain (max 3 days in a row, otherways every other day, at night), we've had strong winds, strong winds with strong rain and now when the rain finaly stopped it's gotten effin freezing. The last three mornings were frosty, clear windless skies at night. Today morning we had -3 celsius, yesterday and the day before 0 and -1.
I think my panamas are taking this adverstiy like champions. Not a spot of botrytis, not a spot of powder mildew. Strong winds were a blessing in disguise, drying the plants and air quickly after the rains. This morning freezed lot of other plants (corn, zuchinni etc.) but panamas only had some withered fan leaves, one banghi haze was a little bit more withered and had a couple of tiny spots of botrytis.
A dry spell of weather with sunshine is predicted for the next 7 days but morning temperatures are still predicted to be from 2-5 (maybe less) and day temperatures around 15-20.
So I went by the "better a sparrow in a hand than a pigeon on a roof" policy and harvested the most advanced panama and the most withered banghi haze.
Panama is truely a remarkably sturdy and stress resistent strain. I would say maybe even more resistent than banghi haze (at least these plants, for my spot , for this year)

These pics are from today

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211014_160900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	17966761 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211014_160529.jpg Views:	0 Size:	183.3 KB ID:	17966762 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211014_161036.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.4 KB ID:	17966763
Click image for larger version  Name:	20211014_160900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	17966761 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211014_160900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	17966761 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211014_160900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	17966761 Click image for larger version  Name:	20211014_160900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	177.0 KB ID:	17966761

paisajedehierba

The weather in your area was worse than I´ve experienced it here Skoviik. It´s good to know that Panama seems to be that resistant. Your buds are looking ripe for my liking.

skoviik

paisajedehierba well, it should be warmer but this is how the dice roled this year. A couple of more frosty mornings projected so I've decided to chop them. I would prefer to give them a couple of more days but I probably cut them at a very good time nevertheless. They had a very stong and intense smell that encouraged me to cut them :)

Humple W.

paisajedehierba well, it should be warmer but this is how the dice roled this year. A couple of more frosty mornings projected so I've decided to chop them. I would prefer to give them a couple of more days but I probably cut them at a very good time nevertheless. They had a very stong and intense smell that encouraged me to cut them :)

They're beautiful! Soil and Sun certainly give these Panama some special kind of sheen.

Humple W.

Question for dubi or any other experienced outdoor Panama growers: what do you look for to determine maturity and harvest readiness? Some of the red hairs are turning brown, and the trichomes appear mostly cloudy, but there are still quite a lot of white/light-pink hairs lower and deeper in the buds. Should I try to wait until almost all of the hairs, red or white, have turned brown? Should I go by trichome color and wait for a certain percentage of amber?

Thanks!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Hi Humple. This is my first time round with Panama so i have no direct experience but i asume she's like others and it comes down to personal preference. I took down half of my Panama last friday (pictures etc will be my NC diary soon). She was still putting up a few white pistalls and the trichs were milky. By takig some earlier i expect a more energetic, racey and (if i'm lucky) anxiety inducing high. the rest of the plant will be left until the trichs have turned amber and i expect a much more hard hitting, stoney high. Providing the weather isn't an issue, why ot take some now, some next week and some in ?weeks.

Humple W.

Hi Humple. This is my first time round with Panama so i have no direct experience but i asume she's like others and it comes down to personal preference. I took down half of my Panama last friday (pictures etc will be my NC diary soon). She was still putting up a few white pistalls and the trichs were milky. By takig some earlier i expect a more energetic, racey and (if i'm lucky) anxiety inducing high. the rest of the plant will be left until the trichs have turned amber and i expect a much more hard hitting, stoney high. Providing the weather isn't an issue, why ot take some now, some next week and some in ?weeks.

Yeah, I was thinking about a staggered harvest too. Definitely seeing a range of maturity in the buds.

Here's a lower bud that looks pretty ready.
103 (2).jpg

And here's another lower bud that looks noticably less developed.
103 (1).jpg

And here's the top bud I've been posting with my updates.
103.jpg

We got pretty damn close to a frost this morning, so I might be taking the whole thing sooner than later anyway!

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
420giveaway
Looking good. Intrestingly it seems the top bud is showing more red.
Do you have a loupe? It's, imho, the best way to tell ripeness.

Subu

It doesn't look like any of those buds are ready yet. If you hold out longer you'll end up with vastly more trichome development IMO.

You need to use a loupe, it's really the only way. Pistils also suggest it's not done.

edit: but also once the trichomes get cloudy provided you monitor amber levels you can let them hold out a bit longer and get further trich development

Last edited: