What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama

Thesearch

Dubi, is there any indica adulteration in the Panama freebies? I had a male that showed preflowers early on with much fatter leaves than the other two. Stem rub reminded me slightly of PCK. Or perhaps there are some more indica leaves among the Panama line?

I am currently running Panama regs along with golden tiger, super malawi haze and zamaldelica x tangie and can certainly say that at some point in its' genetic history it definitely had BLD genetics bred in. I wouldn't go so far as to accuse ACE of doing this, they have always struck me as legit, it is more likely that it happened before they got the strain. It's node distance is not pure nld, it's leaf shape in veg is not pure nld, It's branch size and angles are not pure nld and the thickness of branches is not indicative of nld either. This makes sense though as cannabis is not native to Panama. These strains were more likely brought in as nld multiuse plants, but certainly in the carribean there was bld varieties brought by Indian slaves and workers. All that said, and I don't subscribe to this belief, but ACE has been accused by others of specifically adding PCK to shorten strain times and increase yields. seems like it would just be shooting themselves in the foot with that since they define themselves by their quality sativas, and that would undoubtedly tarnish that as people find less then sativa effects compared to other sources. There are very few, if any, pure NLD or BLD varieties left on the planet, since cannabis has been bred and naturally hybridized for thousands of years.
other possibility is perhaps pollen contamination? males in the same room, pollen can end up on a different plant before collection. more rare, but entirely possible if the males varieties are not all kept isolated.

Humple W.

Personally, I confess to being a bit dubious about the distinction often made between NLD and BLD, and I'm not at all convinced that broader leaves are a satisfactory indicator of what we commonly call "indica" genetics. Between latitude, altitude, and general climate (arid, tropical, continental, etc.), and considering selection that occurs outside of the native habitat, I think it's difficult to make the case that the leaves can tell the tale. Hell, I've seen pics of Panama Red grown in the late 70's/early 80's that notably had broader leaves than what we traditionally deem "sativa" today. I think we try to oversimplify something that we don't fully understand yet!

Just my barely-educated layman's take though!

JohnnyChicago

panama14.jpg

Humple W.

My two Panama, at 4 weeks in flower as of tomorrow. Looks like I managed to pull one red and one green, which makes me quite pleased!

PXL_20210417_151218967.jpg
PXL_20210417_151457670.jpg
PXL_20210417_151559271.jpg

Humple W.

So for those who know this cultivar, do the red and green typically have the same bouquet? I can detect little difference between them - both are INTENSE lemon cleaner/lemon cady (just like all the descriptions I've read!), with the "green" smelling a little bit stronger.

Lotto

On my third run of Panama Std. clones. 2 distinct types. The one that shows red pistols finishes 6-10 earlier than the one in the picture. That one is at 63 days and showing it's Panama Goddess influence. Into the last flowering with about 2 plus weeks to go.

Humple, the smells are similar but with slight differences. I prefer the red over the other, but both are great.

Buds at 2-3 months in jars are getting better. Both a pleasure to smoke, with the red offering a bit more of a confused high. One that I would describe as best to complete one thing at a time before taking on another task.

The one with the Goddess parent needs more of a dry down before going into jars.

Attachments

• photo2042457.jpg
    photo2042457.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 34

Humple W.

On my third run of Panama Std. clones. 2 distinct types. The one that shows red pistols finishes 6-10 earlier than the one in the picture. That one is at 63 days and showing it's Panama Goddess influence. Into the last flowering with about 2 plus weeks to go.

Humple, the smells are similar but with slight differences. I prefer the red over the other, but both are great.

Buds at 2-3 months in jars are getting better. Both a pleasure to smoke, with the red offering a bit more of a confused high. One that I would describe as best to complete one thing at a time before taking on another task.

The one with the Goddess parent needs more of a dry down before going into jars.

Awesome, thanks for the insight! Just this morning I discovered another difference between the two, in that when I opened the tent, the branches of the "red" were completely flopped over from the weight of the buds, whereas the "green" - despite having noticably larger-appearing colas - isn't dense enough to weigh down the branches. A closer inspection shows the green to be more airy (though not at all larfy).

Humple W.

Here are my two Panama plants, at 7 weeks in flower as of tomorrow. Guessing 3-5 weeks left? Clearly far from a perfect run, but considering this is my first attempt with this strain, and I'm feeding it only Mega Crop v.3 (one-part), I think they're doing well enough. They do keep dropping fan leaves at a quick pace, but I'm sure they'll cross the finish-line without too much difficulty. Already looking forward to running both of them again, to see how much I can improve the next round!

PXL_20210508_151122426.jpg
​​​​​​
Here's ​a close-up of the "green".
PXL_20210508_145901428.jpg
​​​​​​
And ​here's a close-up of the "red".
PXL_20210508_150938537.jpg

Ralph W. Llama

The top is at least a foot long and I can only get my hand about 60% of the way around it. It went a full 12 weeks and is still shooting white pistils, but it’s crispy and dense. The bottoms weren’t totally done either, but there is something very satisfying about chopping a whole plant at once, plus the mold is always a worry. Better safe than sorry.

Attachments

• photo2109707.jpg
    photo2109707.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Humple W.

Looks great ralph and Humple!!
Can you please describe the smells at this stage of your grows?

Cheers
Felice

I would describe both as a super, SUPER strong lemon scent. The red I would describe as lemon candy (like sugared lemon-drop hard candies), and the green as lemon cleaner (like Lemon Pledge). The green definitely smells a little stronger to my nose, with the added edge of that chemical cleaner smell, which makes it my favorite of the two at this stage of growth.

Cleaned8272727

Latest posts

Latest posts