What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

TP-grower

Hi, sorry i was very busy but here some pics of my current grow with now only 5 ACE s Malawi IBL and 2 Tajikistani Hp F3 + 2 Power Glue (GG 4 x G13HP F1) from New420Guy + 5 Hashplant D (Chem Dx88G13Hp F1) from Bodhi.
All starts small

Attachments

• SAM_0856.jpg
    SAM_0856.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 33
  • SAM_0915.jpg
    SAM_0915.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 37
  • SAM_0920.jpg
    SAM_0920.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
  • SAM_0916.jpg
    SAM_0916.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 37
  • SAM_0917.jpg
    SAM_0917.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 35
  • SAM_0918.jpg
    SAM_0918.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 31

nldfarmer

quick malawi review

quick malawi review

I thought that I should leave some notes on some Malawis I grew last year so I have something to reference when I breed with them.

Overall, the Malawi, like almost all Ace strains match the description very well. Extremely powerful full blooded sativas that have me a little concerned about their power considering the ones I smoked were seeded and not cured.

No complaints really, I will point out that they do start off looking like hybrids from seed, but you would feel silly thinking they had any indica after going through flowering. The clones in veg look completely different than the plants from seed.

I planted 6 seeds and got 6 plants, 100% germination from a batch circa 2017. Plants 3 and 6 hermed lightly, I'm pretty certain my tent has small light leaks and the dual LED lights are not timed the same. The ones that hermed were under the light that starts up ~15 minutes late which seemed to stress them out a little bit. Either that or the mites caused it. It was not full blown and could have been picked out or sterile but I felt not worth the risk. I like to leave little grow errors like this intact to try to find any suspect genes.

The rest were standout examples that matched up well with the description:

#1 - VIGOROUS New Killer pheno type, nice aromas compared to old killer but not fruit heavy. Heavy branching, clone mom is 4+ feet in a 1 gal pot with no nutrients or effort. 10-11 week flower time.
#2 - OLD KILLER - Wood, Oil, wood, and more oil aromas. I understand the "rude" aroma that Dubi associates with the Old Killer, but to me the aroma is one of danger, seriousness, and intrigue. By far my favorite pheno, I am working on femming and will pollinate its sisters with its pollen. 11-12 week flower time.
#4 - COMPACT New Killer pheno, same aroma as #1 but 1/2 the size of #1 and single cola. 10-11 week flower time.
#5 - RECESSIVE Pheno ?! - Not sure how far back this goes but #5 was the only one that was significantly different than the rest. No particular vigor, but once I took a clone it naturally bushed up unlike the others. Very very long flower time, I estimate 16 weeks 12/12. Black pepper/hash/incense and spicy aromas and a piercing sativa high without the debilitating feeling of the others. Also trying to mother this one, as I suspect this is where the gorgeous soaring sativa high comes from.

No photos at the moment, I took some but they're lost to the crazy year that was 2020. I'll try snapping some of the #2 and #5 as I work with them throughout the year. #2 seems to be the most woody which I am looking for to make haze-likes, while #5 seems to be a good base for a long flowering sativa :yummy:

Packs from ace are so nice, easy to find winners, I still have 4 malawi std seeds :D

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Very healthy garden TP-grower :yes: All the best!

Excellent development olday :) Tamed Malawi phenos like yours don't need such long flowering times, usually 11-12 weeks is ok, kindly post some pics in a couple of weeks since the latest pics were taken.

Hi nldfarmer :wave: Thanks a lot for sharing your insights about your Malawis, glad you are satisfied with the experience despite 2 had some hermie tendencies. I have never heard feedback about Malawi fem release or regular version grown outdoors and producing hermie plants, but the regular version is not so refined like the fem version in this regard.

Your descriptions of the different phenos are very accurate, being New Malawi Killer phenos more terpy, and with 10-11 week flowering time (i like to wait for the extra 1-2 weeks of flowering time for best resin production and denser flowers) and the Old Malawi Killer phenos taking a bit more of time (slightly bigger size too) and with those signature woody oily African sativas aromas of the strain. My hardcore-smoker colleagues still prefer the unmatched potency of Old Killer phenos.

Interesting you comment about the late flowering pheno, its not a common pheno in the fem version since the fem version has been breed towards more tamed phenos in size and with shorter flowering times, but the regular version still offers less frequently recessive (as you correctly pointed out) long flowering phenos as you described, that go a bit on the opposite direction of my selections.

Legalcdn

These are clones from Malawi FEM P4 i believe (seeds puchased via distributor 2019).

Canna coco, buffered, ph 6, drenched mosquito dunk water as gnat prevention, 11 liter containers with DE food grade dusted heavy with grow rocks on top , DTW, Jacks 321, scrog is 61x76cm (24x30 inches) each.

Left plant is day 10 in flower and right is 3 days. I count when i see onset on pistils. The light is 220w (11 x 19w bridgelux EB strips gen 2) driven at 1050ma in series. Light is 30cm (12 inches) off canopy. Trying to keep everything level.i will be adding autowater system this week as hand watering sucks.

I love the malawi.

picture.php

Legalcdn

Looks great brother! Nice and even. How long did you veg them?

I vegged the left 4 weeks in a 1.5 gal 6liter) pot. The right was vegged 5 weeks as i was queueing them up. Bangi haze finished, added new malawi, 7 days later, previous malawi finished and new left malawi was transplanted. The right one was brought on board and then tranplanted.

Last malawi needs 5 last branches trimmed and then weighed. I think 7-8oz total. My bangi haze did 7oz..ish.. i still need to final weight.

:watchplant:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Lovely SCROG Legalcdn :) Very well dialed in! Looking forward to follow your progresses with her in flowering stage!

Azeotrope

Veteran
I love the look of Malawi. This is day 10 of 12/12. Larger plants in this bed are Malawi.

Smaller (younger) plants are GoldenTiger(f) x Snow Moon(m).

No matter what I have grown or do grow, Malawi is always the go to for power/quality & yield. Just perfect!

Attachments

• AC4E02B6-E2CC-4B99-95A8-3AC032A912A6.jpg
    AC4E02B6-E2CC-4B99-95A8-3AC032A912A6.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 3B6DED60-48F0-4B95-9E8D-ACA38AF15BA0.jpg
    3B6DED60-48F0-4B95-9E8D-ACA38AF15BA0.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 61B34951-0AB4-45A5-8848-B11691046252.jpg
    61B34951-0AB4-45A5-8848-B11691046252.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 63BE86C9-1F3A-4FB5-995D-CB2B78AD5F6C.jpg
    63BE86C9-1F3A-4FB5-995D-CB2B78AD5F6C.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 26

Legalcdn

Azeotrope, they look great. Golden tiger should be outstanding.

Its amazing to think a little seed can produce this. Good breeders equal good weed if grown right.
Malawi Fem clones.
Day 28 (35 from 12/12) from 1st pistils
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Nexus7

Looking good there legalcdn! Lots of sugar already!

Any idea which pheno it is you have and how long it goes?

Legalcdn

Looking good there legalcdn! Lots of sugar already!

Any idea which pheno it is you have and how long it goes?

She is a green pheno. No real woody or oil smell. Fruity smells are there..mango , sweet carrot.. i use to bake and the smell has some rising yeast smells but more fruity. My last malawi (same clone) is sitting in jars. The terps change week to week.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Very promising development Legalcdn! :yes: Sounds like you got a Maalwi fruity pheno based on your description of her terpenes.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Malawi feminized out of stock

Malawi feminized out of stock

Hi,

Malawi fem is out of stock here at the source, if everything goes well we will have fresh fem stock in a couple of months. Meanwhile, you can get the last Malawi fem packs through our official retailers.

Malawi regular is still available.

Nexus7

Hola amigos de Malawi,

I've noticed some premature browning and withering of the pistils on just the tips of a few flowering tops.

Just wondering if it's someting to be concerned about or just a trait of this strain. The plant otherwise looks healthy overall.

Also with the flowering time given is that from flip or first pistils?

My pheno has darker broader leaves, is relatively stout and fast flowerung with little stretch. New killer I guess?

Normal pistils above. Brown & withered below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210313_131810.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	17800825
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210313_131810.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	17800825

Last edited:

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Hola amigos de Malawi,

I've noticed some premature browning and withering of the pistils on just the tips of a few flowering tops.

Just wondering if it's someting to be concerned about or just a trait of this strain. The plant otherwise looks healthy overall.

Also with the flowering time given is that from flip or first pistils?

My pheno has darker broader leaves, is relatively stout and fast flowerung with little stretch. New killer I guess?

Normal pistils above. Brown & withered below.

Any chance of a male in proximity? Temperature? You’ve got some great early trichome coverage!