What's new

My first sativa grow - Malawi and Bangi Haze

jeezooz

Thanks for popping by ND. Yes, they both appear on the right track!

Day 29F

The stretch has slowed down, leaving both Malawi and Bangi Haze at a manageable height. The earlier issues with the nutrient levels were probably caused by me adding some seaweed extract to the feed. The bottle says not a fertiliser but on the website I found out they add synthetic nutrients so Malawi was overloaded with N. Lesson learnt and all sorted now - Malawi back to 1/3 recommended H & G Cocos dosage, Bangi at 1/2, both happy.

I added a pic of the canopy to show the trim my defoliation routine consistently produces - sparse and airey with light reaching to the bottom bud sites.

Attachments

• photo2039033.jpg
    photo2039033.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 33
  • photo2039034.jpg
    photo2039034.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 29
  • photo2039035.jpg
    photo2039035.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 31

jeezooz

Dzieki Jan.

Day 35F.

Cruising. Bangi Haze running 1/3 organic, both plants happy and thriving.

Attachments

• photo2041179.jpg
    photo2041179.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
  • photo2041181.jpg
    photo2041181.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 21

jeezooz

Day 41F

No change to the maintenance, both plants happy.and maturing well.

The stash is getting low so I had to sample Bangi Haze early to see how it is coming along. Chose the most resinous buds, dried on the lights for 8 hours, rolled and blazed with my gf. The buzz is warm, mostly head high of good duration. The strength was about average - which iis remarkable considering the plant has another 3-4 weeks to go. Encouraged, I have now stolen a few Malawi buds so you can expect another early smoke report soon...

Attachments

• photo2042686.jpg
    photo2042686.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 34
  • photo2042687.jpg
    photo2042687.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 34
  • photo2042688.jpg
    photo2042688.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 32

jeezooz

Cheers guys, I am so happy to be sharing this beautiful grow here.

Now the promised smoke report. So Bangi Haze - 6 weeks into flowering - was already of decent complexity and strength but Malawi is a cut above. It is already close to top shelf potential, how else would you rate a 4 hrs trip without a hint of anxiety?

In the shroom world trips are rated in levels. 1 is similar to a good, positive weed session. 2 closed eye visuals, 3 open eye visuals, 4 morphing and 5 ego death. So Malawi is already like 1.5 - this beautiful feeling of suspense that keeps going for hours. And the plant is only half way through the flowering!

jeezooz

I have been pinching the ripe buds off both plants and noticed that Malawi is actually further along than BH. This surprises me because it is supposed to flower longer. Bangi Haze is different - it has loads of buds everywhere but still not fattening (Day 48F). The top BH colas foxtailed lately and grew another inch or two. Trichs are largely milky though so hopefully the buds will fill up in time

jeezooz

Day 56F

Happy times in the tent. Malawi produces harder buds but Bangi trichs are more milky - maybe 2 more weeks to go.

I will wet trim and dry in branches on the mesh rack. The coated sugar leaves and popcorn buds will be washed with iso to make wax. I have recently started vaping dry herb and apparently one can bump up the potency by adding wax so will try that.

Ordered the Zamal Auto seeds for the next grow - a side by side bottled vs organic liquid feed trial, should be fun

Attachments

• photo2045925.jpg
    photo2045925.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 29
  • photo2045926.jpg
    photo2045926.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 30
  • photo2045927.jpg
    photo2045927.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 28

Podenco

Thanks. Going well. These big leaves high in the bud of Bangi are typical it seems, I had them too and it really sets the strain apart.

P

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the updates jeezooz you can be proud of this cycle, really nice flowers and the best is yet to come in the last weeks!

jeezooz

Appreciate your comments, dubi. I think I am getting addicted to growing sativas :)

Here is the frog-eye view down from the lights level

Attachments

• photo2046706.jpg
    photo2046706.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 24

jeezooz

So Bangi Haze came down last night, followed by a three hour trim and tidy up operation. At 65 days from switch the trichomes were mostly cloudy with a bunch clear and a few ambers. Probably early by most growers standards but this is my preference. The buds were firm enough and juicy. I am not good with eyeball estimates but maybe 5-6 oz dry?

Lonely Malawi in the tent awaiting its turn

Attachments

• photo2048134.jpg
    photo2048134.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 36
  • photo2048135.jpg
    photo2048135.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 28
  • photo2048136.jpg
    photo2048136.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

jeezooz

10 weeks from the flip my fruity Malawi pheno is almost done. Looks like a reasonable yield too. Will update after the harvest this weekend.

Attachments

• photo2048932.jpg
    photo2048932.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 21
  • photo2048933.jpg
    photo2048933.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 22
  • photo2048934.jpg
    photo2048934.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 22

jeezooz

Just finished processing the Malawi so some quick thoughts. Very beautiful bud structure - trimming it was a Zen like experience. I had one blurple light unit in the tent and did not realise that the buds had actually turned purple. Sooo pretty.

The yield looks like 8 oz. Bangi was maybe 6 oz and we have pinched another oz off the growing plants so close to a pound all up with the top grade trim. This is great for two plants which I only vegged 25 days and harvested 74 days later.

The final smoke reports and grow wrap up to come

Attachments

• photo2049728.jpg
    photo2049728.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

jeezooz

This was the most enjoyable grow of the maybe eight I have completed. My plan for managing the stretch - top above 4th plus aggressive lst - has worked. The tent environment was largely spot on and one or two feeding wobbles will be chalked up as learning.

Now the final smoke reports.

BangI Haze is currently a few days into cure, after a week of drying in the grow room. It is absolutely delightful, relaxed, stimulating and fun to blaze. Potent without being overwhelming, a 3 sessions a day type weed. The flavours start lemony then get sweeter and taper out around 210C. Simply a great everyday smoke.

The fruity Malawi is currently drying but my gf and I sampled it a few times over the last month. It always produced this suspended reality feel where one just watches stuff happen and the buds from the final harvest are very potent. It has some amazing honey flavours in the vape. My current fave is a mix of both strains.

Thank you for following this grow and finding time to post.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
A pleasure to follow such beautiful ride jeezooz glad the grow has been an enjoyable experience and that you and your gf are already enjoying your well deserved Bangi Haze and fruity Malawi harvest ;) Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with all of us :thank you: