What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger

treewizard

I meant to do a report for it too. Honestly the main difference that I've noticed is taste. The Thai pheno has a sweet tangerine sort of flavor to it. During flowering, there were times that it smelled like some straight up neroli oil.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks a lot for your smoke and harvest report treewizard :)

Golden Tiger is evidently powerful, im glad you apreciate the deepness and complexity of the high, Golden Tiger is a great choice for those growers looking for a very strong sativa experience but avoiding typical haze-dutch hybrids.

As you experienced, aromas are oily, fruity (orange) musky and a bit woody-incensey.

I like a lot Golden Tiger because its complex crazy psychedelic effect, it's the most hallucinogenic and easy laugh weed i've tried in the past years. Please, let us know how does the other plant smoke! I have enjoyed a lot reading your report, hope you are enjoying there too!! Best wishes.

This is for the Malawi pheno. So I cleaned my piece out and iced it down. I smoked a bowl earlier for effects and I'm about to do another 1/2 (this shit really is potent and I have to go to chemistry in 30 min.)
This stuff is complex and unique enough that it takes a 2nd helping(even though I've been smoking it for about a month now) to be able to really quantify the scent and taste. The scent I think I have settled on describing it as skunk with an undertone of orange zest. Although this bud has a funk all it's own that you will just have to smell for yourself.
The taste is very light and unique. Its like musk with a hint of light incense and an undertone of orange zest.
The effects are very good. Lots of nuances to them. Not at all like G13-Haze or a similar strain with lots of punch but overwhelming or edgy or just kind of 2D. It is strong with no real edge. I'm a pretty heavy smoker and I prefer sativas mostly. I need my indicas and hybrids too don't get me wrong. I can smoke this stuff and function. Its walking the edge at times if you help yourself to 2nds or 3rds though. I would say that it doesn't stimulate thought, rather it lets thoughts flow. What this translates to is that I have found that its the only sativa I have that I can smoke before bed. It doesn't put you to sleep obviously, but it doesn't get in the way either. It comes on pretty quickly but then it keeps coming. It takes a while to fully kick in. That can get you into trouble. I'll edit later for duration.
Man this shit is spacey. Where the fuck did my morning go? Also this stuff makes things more amusing imo.
Here's my Thai pheno and an aromatherapeutic device some of you may recognize..

treewizard

It always good to hear from you man! I have been busy as fuck with school. I meant to do a follow up the next day. I will get one tomorrow morning with a clean palate. I have at least 3 more generations of Golden Tiger lined up already. There will be more to come. I want the next one to be a monster. I keep overestimating stretch. This plant is extremely manageable so long as you don't mind LST.

treewizard

OK, so I lied. All I have left from that pheno is a little shake. I will do a smoke report when I have more. Obviously that will be a while, but it will happen.

idiit

Veteran
i'm running gt outdoors this year as a pure strain and some hybrids. it's been unusually dry hot july like weather here and the gt's seem to like it. dubi said this strain could possibly be an excellent platform and i'm testing out that premise. the best performing hybrids right now are a gt/kodiak gold-99aww cross i made. hopefully the kodiak gold can bring some extra late fall hardiness and bud structure to this wonderful golden tiger strain. malawi/meo thai, huge yields, great potency, great effects. how much sexier can it get?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
i'm running gt outdoors this year as a pure strain and some hybrids. it's been unusually dry hot july like weather here and the gt's seem to like it. dubi said this strain could possibly be an excellent platform and i'm testing out that premise. the best performing hybrids right now are a gt/kodiak gold-99aww cross i made. hopefully the kodiak gold can bring some extra late fall hardiness and bud structure to this wonderful golden tiger strain. malawi/meo thai, huge yields, great potency, great effects. how much sexier can it get?

Hello idiit :)

Im glad to hear you are working on your own Golden Tiger selections and hybrids :) If you want a new sativa line with very high potency, yield and vigour then GT is an excellent strain for selections, especially for outdoor selections. She handles perfectly all kind of hot conditions, warm or dry.

Please, keep us updated with your outdoor grows and hybrids. Best wishes!

idiit

Veteran
i'll do that. i've got a few hz/nl, kg-'98aww and blackseed crossed into golden tiger. i also have a couple of pure gt's. i love a strong trippy high. the smell of gt under a cmh lamp (uv) was very exotic and the bud formation was suprisingly dense for a lr sat. my outdoor garden is in an area that is notoriously hard to grow decent bud outdoors so hardiness is important.blackseed and kg are pretty famous for their survival genetics and yield potential. it'll be my pleasure to document the girls as they get along. thanks for making this strain available. idiit.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High idiit,

Golden Tiger is very vigorous and resistant sativa but cos its strong malawi influence is a bit sensible against powdery mildew, we recommend to apply S pulverization after first 20 days of flowering. Thanks for your feedback, please let us know how does the season finish there. Best wishes!

idiit

Veteran
the blackseed and kg supposedly are genetically resistant to blights. i'm running clones and seedlings to see if seedling vigor stands up to various forms of budrot better than straight clones. ultimately i'm looking for potency, yield, bud structure, effects and some dankness, but hardiness is an absolute must. summers are hot, humid with no rain going into falls that alternate between crisp sunny conditions to very overcast dripping wet excessively humid conditions. i suspect from my first run with the pure gt that the high can be taken up with an electric hybrid (sativa skunk1, or an electric power kush) and also down with a more narcotic powerful strain (herijuana, iranian short season, authentic nl5). i'll be happy to post pictures and appraisals at the end of this od season. this year i'll just run the hybrids that i've already mentioned and go from there with next year's selections. i've treated all plants prior to starting outdoors with a spray containing bayer aspirin (initiates plant's latent defense mechanisms) and seacrop that contains archaea that supposedly ward off plant diseases). in addition i'm using an organic amendment program that should ensure very good nutrition for the girls as i've read that the best defense against disease is proper nutrition. i'm learning as i go and will post my results. thanks again for this special strain dubi. idiit.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hello idiit,

Indeed your outdoor growing conditions sounds very close to our weather so you shouldnt have any problem growing golden tiger there.

I can not guarantee it from first hand experience but a few colleages use aspirine to help revegging plants, not sure if it will delay your flowering ...

idiit

Veteran
finally got some much needed rain (no water source at this location for watering) and checked on the garden with the pure gt. golden tiger survived the ridiculously early hot drought conditions while they were still establishing their root systems. almost all other varieties died. i believe that this garden needed much more humus than i supplied to augment the poor sandy clay soil there. i'll bring in lots of premade supersoil for next years grow. bottom line, golden tiger and blackseed were survivors of an early drought condition in the exact same garden where smcg and manga rosa hybrids did not. the hybrid for the mr and smcg was a very dank the white-'98aww pheno. the kodiak gold-'98aww/gt hybrid is still the best looking but it is in a spot that's near a shade line and stays moister. i also had numerous other varieties besides mr and smcg hybrids that all failed. i'll post pictures after the garden is harvested out of security concerns. we don't get powdery mildew outdoors here. i've run gardens in this area for 20+ years. the big concern here is the horrible brown bud rot fungus that can totally devastate the harvest . the harvest window normally extends well into november so i think gt has lots of time to finish. i'll keep up progress reports. idiit.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Sorry to hear it idiit,

It's hard to take care of this distant guerrilla gardens without a water source. Wish the survivors still produce a big harvest of quality buds for winter time.

Im so glad the Golden Tigers survived the heat and dry stress, that's for sure: Golden Tiger LOVES outdoors! :D

Cant wait to hear about your Golden Tiger progresses. Thanks for the update and best wishes for the hot summer.

idiit

Veteran
last year was tough. couple outdoor gt's made it in. was a little disappointed at the potency levels after they dried, not cured. the smell, taste, bud formation (lime green rock nugs) was excellent. good resin. i went to pure organics last year and didn't have it down. anyway, let the gts cure 90 days and absolutely loved the tremendous potency for late night smoke. let the nugs cure another month or two and i found the high to be very enjoyable. trippy. took me places i can't get to straight yet :) . i'm at it again this year and am getting much better results with my improving organic technique. i owe you some pics and haven't forgotten. we got trees coming this year. multiple locations for redundancy. i even got one pheno that looks meao thai dom.

P

Peacer

prepare for this lady sativa
this is the start - picture one month old...
picture.php

and this is two weeks after repotting best 5 seeds into a combination of compost and cocos, its really fast growing plant :laughing:
picture.php

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
High idiit,

You are right, i also believe golden tiger needs a good curing to show all her potential, especially in the high, i've been smoking some cured golden tiger's lately too from past outdoor season. The high is very deep and long lasting, it will dig up very inside of your consciousness without mercy, she completly changes your perception for the rest of the day, and there's no way back till next day hehehehhe ... it's not a light experience that's for sure! I'm glad you are growing a few more this season ;) Best wishes!

idiit

Veteran
You are right, i also believe golden tiger needs a good curing to show all her potential, especially in the high, i've been smoking some cured golden tiger's lately too from past outdoor season. The high is very deep and long lasting, it will dig up very inside of your consciousness without mercy, she completly changes your perception for the rest of the day, and there's no way back till next day hehehehhe ... it's not a light experience that's for sure! I'm glad you are growing a few more this season Best wishes!

thks dubi. the grail strains available in seed form seem to require a prolonged search for the special pheno out of 100's/1,000's of seedlings in some cases. gt was pretty uniform in the f1s. you don't have to search thru thousands of specimens for the 6 month cure high; it's pretty much homogenous from my experience in all my gt f1s. i am running 4 female f2's outside this year and have 1 pheno that has very slender leaves with no red stem coloration. it's not nearly as bushy and not as vigorous as the f1 gts. another has more slender leaves than the regular malawi dominant f1's but not as extreme as the mt looking pheno.. the other two f2s resemble the f1s as far as i can tell. my first point is that i am getting a very enjoyable high from the f1s that is trippy and long lasting. i describe the high to my friends as getting lost in a very pleasant place, wanting to remember the experience afterwards but not being able to repeatedly each time i smoke it (no tolerance build up ). the 6 month cure enables a very sought after high in my opinion.

it would be interesting to bring some spice/church incense aromas/flavors into this strain with a little smcg influence. this might be one avenue for "the grail seekers".

dubi, tell me a little about the meao thai high, duration, potency. i'm looking to use my mt looking pheno for some hybrids for some upbeat daytime/early evening type smoke.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
thks dubi. the grail strains available in seed form seem to require a prolonged search for the special pheno out of 100's/1,000's of seedlings in some cases. gt was pretty uniform in the f1s. you don't have to search thru thousands of specimens for the 6 month cure high; it's pretty much homogenous from my experience in all my gt f1s. i am running 4 female f2's outside this year and have 1 pheno that has very slender leaves with no red stem coloration. it's not nearly as bushy and not as vigorous as the f1 gts. another has more slender leaves than the regular malawi dominant f1's but not as extreme as the mt looking pheno.. the other two f2s resemble the f1s as far as i can tell. my first point is that i am getting a very enjoyable high from the f1s that is trippy and long lasting. i describe the high to my friends as getting lost in a very pleasant place, wanting to remember the experience afterwards but not being able to repeatedly each time i smoke it (no tolerance build up ). the 6 month cure enables a very sought after high in my opinion.

it would be interesting to bring some spice/church incense aromas/flavors into this strain with a little smcg influence. this might be one avenue for "the grail seekers".

dubi, tell me a little about the meao thai high, duration, potency. i'm looking to use my mt looking pheno for some hybrids for some upbeat daytime/early evening type smoke.

It's always fun to explore the F2 generation, im glad you are working on yours! I also feel the original F1 Golden Tiger is pretty consistant, most of the phenos (75 %) will be killer malawi dominant ( 12-13 weeks flowering time), around 15 % will be more thai looking and dominant (14 weeks) and there's a less frequent (10 %) early flowering pheno (10 -11 weeks). We have produced F2 seeds from all the phenos past season.

The slender more delicate expressions are very thai dominant, they need quite less Nitrogen than the other phenos.

I get what you mean, i also love the spicy incensey sativas but it was not the goal with the golden tiger, there are already lot of good dutch incensey sativa dominant plants and i wanted golden tiger with a different personality, very african and with mostly malawi essence, but you can always cross golden tiger with a good haze, nepalese, colombian, mexican ... any good sativa with this kind of spicy incensey aromas and probably achieve something very close to what you are looking for ....

The meo thai is not less strong or long lasting than golden tiger or malawi but the high is much clear and less dirty in the body, better smoke for morning-mid day time, i guess malawi or golden tiger are more for late evening/night :)