What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Golden Tiger

Cactus Squatter

Did you take those closes simply by placing cuttings in the dirt? I've run into a brick wall with my bubble cloner, which worked with about 50% success at first but now has a 100% failure rate even after sterilizing the setup repeatedly with bleach. Four runs in sequence and all clones died in the bubble cloner, so on to better things for this mad scientist.

The idea of simply taking cuttings and rooting them directly in dirt sure does appeal to me now. Am I right in assuming that this is exactly the way you create clones?

I’ve had great results from just sticking ace cuttings straight in dirt. Actually better than with my fog cloner.

bushed

Did you take those closes simply by placing cuttings in the dirt? I've run into a brick wall with my bubble cloner, which worked with about 50% success at first but now has a 100% failure rate even after sterilizing the setup repeatedly with bleach. Four runs in sequence and all clones died in the bubble cloner, so on to better things for this mad scientist.

The idea of simply taking cuttings and rooting them directly in dirt sure does appeal to me now. Am I right in assuming that this is exactly the way you create clones?

Golden tiger clones super easy for me, I think I remember dubi saying that's the case with most sativa genetics.

I used to use the brown stinky fungal cloning solution straight into dirt and had highish success rate. Then it just stopped working. So I decided to experiment. I bought clonex gel, cloning powder and a new bottle of fungal. I made a small bubble cloner, tried all 3 in bubble, coco and homemade organic soil.

For me the powder straight into dirt had by far the best results, worst results in bubble cloner that was about 5 years ago and I've not lost one since, don't even put them under a light just leave them out in the sun.

My overly convoluted point being experiment a bit and you will find what works best for you.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Golden tiger clones super easy for me, I think I remember dubi saying that's the case with most sativa genetics.

I used to use the brown stinky fungal cloning solution straight into dirt and had highish success rate. Then it just stopped working. So I decided to experiment. I bought clonex gel, cloning powder and a new bottle of fungal. I made a small bubble cloner, tried all 3 in bubble, coco and homemade organic soil.

For me the powder straight into dirt had by far the best results, worst results in bubble cloner that was about 5 years ago and I've not lost one since, don't even put them under a light just leave them out in the sun.

My overly convoluted point being experiment a bit and you will find what works best for you.

This reply is appreciated for sure. I'll revert to cloning gel on the cut stems then straight into a substrate of granulated worm castings in small plastic weave grow bags, lightly misting the trimmed leaves a couple of times a day. Don't have any cloning powder on hand, but probably won't order it because anything sent by mail that is packaged in white powdery form might raise eyebrows in the local post office haha.

It is odd that your experiments went from good success using cloning gel at the start, to later having no success with the same exact method. I never did figure out why my initial bubble cloner runs worked fine, only for that method to suddenly stop working despite multiple attempts to repeat that initial high success rate. Lots of variables to track in this method of plant multiplication, with more than a few red herrings to consider when cloning success suddenly stops.

I've got seedlings started up from feminized seeds of Ace Golden Tiger, Zamaldelica, and Malawi right now, and my dastardly plan is to use them all as mother plants from which I'll take multiple clones, so I am kinda anxious to arrive at a consistent cloning method before the 2022 growing season kicks in.

bushed

It was the fungal solution that stopped working, I have a feeling that they changed the recipe, but who knows. I had moved house as well between tries and was probably using a different light bulb as you say always lots of variables. In my tests clonex gel had the second best results, after the powder.

I didn't and don't mist at all, I would question this as you are trying to encourage roots, worm casting should hold plenty of moisture unless you are in a very hot dry environment.

This may vary in your country but your local hardware store garden centre should have rooting powder if you did want to try.

Good luck hope you get sorted in time.

StickyBandit

In case anyone was embarrassed about their GT grows.....check this out :shucks:

I have pulled much of the dead growth off already and added some worm castings to the surface and started watering with bat poo bloom
They are growing in standard budget potting mix and at about day 85 of flower
Not sure of their light requirements and the room is about 30°c through the day and humid
Any insights and advice will be appreciated as I may do another grow or a cross, unless people think I shouldn't be allowed to :D

Click image for larger version  Name:	GT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	18071565

Click image for larger version  Name:	GTLeft.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	18071567

Click image for larger version  Name:	GTLeft.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.1 KB ID:	18071567
Click image for larger version  Name:	GT.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	18071565

Thanks in advance for the advice :wave:

Shua1991

I have pulled much of the dead growth off already and added some worm castings to the surface and started watering with bat poo bloom
Not sure of their light requirements and the room is about 30°c through the day and humid
Any insights and advice will be appreciated as I may do another grow or a cross, unless people think I shouldn't be allowed to :D

hopefully you get some seeds off that last gal, I like the resin heads on her.
was it pollenated by a male or a herm?
if it didn't produce any bananas, if possible, try to clone and reveg, sometimes plants need more than one grow to mature. I noticed the GT likes low nutrient feed and larger pot sizes with lower than 12/12 for sped up flowering.

Boob McNoob

My arrogant experiment several years ago running GT; 90 w UFO against a comparable array of CFL Sadly didn't do a proper job of it but remain fascinated by the strain.
DSC01938.JPG

StickyBandit

hopefully you get some seeds off that last gal, I like the resin heads on her.
was it pollenated by a male or a herm?
if it didn't produce any bananas, if possible, try to clone and reveg, sometimes plants need more than one grow to mature. I noticed the GT likes low nutrient feed and larger pot sizes with lower than 12/12 for sped up flowering.

I was wondering about that
I'm not even sure it's been pollinated. I pulled the males early due to circumstances and haven't seen any bananas but they have had a very character building life so who knows :)
So, what percentage of amber trichomes indicates that it's ready?

herbgreen

Veteran

Looks Good :D The buds have resin And its going to give some good quality

That heat can be good but thc production is ideal @ 75F 25 C The plants are from africa and thailand laos It can't be too bad @30 C (85F)

Pistils still look active.......but you can see signs of them pulling back just a little in the last picture lower left they darken and turn hair like

Its the pistils Thats the main thing to watch when...... they die off and dry up and are not growing That's when its ripening up for sure

That and with how ever many amber trichs you like ...Its going to be unique!

Is this the current verion of GT??

goingrey

It looks overfertilized to me.

StickyBandit

It looks overfertilized to me.

Seems to be the popular opinion but I am unable to flush because the buckets don't have holes and I don't want to drill any.
I will use a different soil next round with less chemical fertilizer in it. Maybe something organic
I was kinda wondering if there was much I could do about what I have but I guess there's not long to go --- hopefully :)
Is GT a little more sensitive to some conditions?
Cheers

goingrey

Seems to be the popular opinion but I am unable to flush because the buckets don't have holes and I don't want to drill any.
I will use a different soil next round with less chemical fertilizer in it. Maybe something organic
I was kinda wondering if there was much I could do about what I have but I guess there's not long to go --- hopefully :)
Cheers

You could just give it plain water with no fertilizer even if you can't "flush" the media I suppose. But yeah hard to say what is the best to do in this situation.

Sativa/NLD varieties in general are more sensitive to overfertilization. Regarding GT in specific ACE says
We recommend low/moderate levels of nutrients (especially of nitrogen) for the whole cycle, and slightly higher amounts of PK at the peak of floral production in mid-flowering.

herbgreen

Veteran
Cheers

Do you have a drill ???:D

You can drill into the side @ the very bottom edge 4-8 holes

That is what's happening You are seriously spinning your wheels without drainage

And now is when need that the most

You dont have to lift the pots just hit that bottom edge with the largest diameter bit you have

These are the new GT with the hmong thai and the koh chang or is this the malawi x meo thai ?

StickyBandit

Looks Good :D The buds have resin And its going to give some good quality

That heat can be good but thc production is ideal @ 75F 25 C The plants are from africa and thailand laos It can't be too bad @30 C (85F)

Pistils still look active.......but you can see signs of them pulling back just a little in the last picture lower left they darken and turn hair like

Its the pistils Thats the main thing to watch when...... they die off and dry up and are not growing That's when its ripening up for sure

That and with how ever many amber trichs you like ...Its going to be unique!

Is this the current verion of GT??

Thank for the positive comments :good:
It's the new strain with the Hmong I believe
I know I probably should, but I don't want to put holes in the buckets if I can help it
I'm more inclined to try to perfect the way I'm doing it now at this point which is tilting the buckets to check weight for moisture content and trying to get the right recipe for different types of weed from the start and adding the right ingredients as I go. It seems like natural progression to go more organic after considering a lot of great advice, especially for the sativas
Thanks for the input :biggrin:

Shua1991

I was wondering about that
I'm not even sure it's been pollinated. I pulled the males early due to circumstances and haven't seen any bananas but they have had a very character building life so who knows :)
So, what percentage of amber trichomes indicates that it's ready?

You do not want amber trichomes, and you definitely will have seeds on the last plant pictured, i already see them. hundreds of free f2s potentially, I would give those seeds a chance.

Shua1991

Cheers

You're suffocating your plants. The root zone has to breathe. Take a knife and stab at the lower area of the pots to open op some airways.

Anaerobic bacteria live where oxygen cannot reach.

You're killing the lungs of your plants(rootzone) and the nutrients aren't taken up as a result. Act fast.

herbgreen

Veteran
Thank for the positive comments :good:
It's the new strain with the Hmong I believe
I know I probably should, but I don't want to put holes in the buckets if I can help it
I'm more inclined to try to perfect the way I'm doing it now at this point which is tilting the buckets to check weight for moisture content and trying to get the right recipe for different types of weed from the start and adding the right ingredients as I go. It seems like natural progression to go more organic after considering a lot of great advice, especially for the sativas
Thanks for the input :biggrin:

Yeah, you dont need many fertilizers

You may want to consider pots with holes or cloth smartpot bags

Or you could get hytroton stones or volcanic rocks? for down in the bottom of the buckets... It gives plants like a mini water table to tap into

somas method of rocks in the bottom and air tube but its sealed on the bottom....I can be done with large plastic storage bin

Anyway they are sealed like your buckets but with rocks in the bottom and air tube

Air it seems is what root systems crave

... also its that level of rock down there it holds water and lets roots air out and do their thing

And you take stainless window screen put it in there to keep roots from entangling the rocks :D

herbgreen

Veteran
These things speaking of fertilizer there are some very smart ideas....cultured biologix

cultured biologix is an interesting company He was on the Adam dunn show and its very intriguing science behind their line of stuff ...It seems little goes a long way

And also discusses some flaws of pure organics that lead to peoples crop testing hot....And he has interesting theories on how to grow clean cannabis

Last weeks adam dunn show w/tim mccormick ...(not todd mccormick)... tim mccormick from cultured -biologix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhQkn0PSZoA

This is the only place to ever buy their stuff I think ...seems to be priced half of what amazon charges

https://hydrobuilder.com/brands/cul...MIze7Ep_v99QIVoYJbCh1leAmLEAAYAyAAEgIaKvD_BwE

This their company site but mostly refer people to hydrobuilder to buy it

https://culturedbiologix.com/