What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hold out ? Or call it a good run ? What the plan for Icmag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Ads would ruin the site and probably screw up security if google got involved. Best to stick with donations.

What is hurting this site (when it works) is uneven mod pressure, mostly against conservatives, while the commies get free run. That will stymie future donations from conservatives, at least one I know. Maybe the commies will let loose of some of their stimmy, but I doubt it.

I deleted my last account due to the obvious Ultra Right Wing tone that I felt had taken over, particularly during the US election. I thought most mods were Right Wing. We all have our own predjudices. You'd call me a commie no doubt, yet I think I'm slightly left of centre.

This site was better when it was a grow site. I liked the good growers and those who were generous and unselfish with their time and information. Also, I didn't know everyones politics.

Anyway, I will likely stick around. It's sad so many good people left though, following the political shitstorm and the site upgrade.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I deleted my last account due to the obvious Ultra Right Wing tone that I felt had taken over, particularly during the US election. I thought most mods were Right Wing. We all have our own predjudices. You'd call me a commie no doubt, yet I think I'm slightly left of centre.

This site was better when it was a grow site. I liked the good growers and those who were generous and unselfish with their time and information. Also, I didn't know everyones politics.

Anyway, I will likely stick around. It's sad so many good people left though, following the political shitstorm and the site upgrade.

Agreed. The addition of politics (with a right wing bias) to this site has been very negative and divisive imo, and i agree TPTB seem to mostly be right wing as well. If i wasn;t so ingrained here with my hobby seed business etc i would have left... but even so it has made me feel conflicted as to whether i should really still be here or not. such a shame.
VG

Great outdoors

Same feeling here. There is a heavy right wing bias between the ownership and many of the mods here. Not to mention the only threads the mods/ ownership seem to post on are political threads. I would be much happier if the site went back to it's roots and dedicated itself to weed. Instead the cannabis content seems to have become an afterthought. It really has just become another place for the right to try and spread disinformation and conspiracies than anything else. What happened to the good old days when the right wouldn't be caught dead near a weed site. Fucking hippies, lol.
I have thought many times of just canning the site, but hope for better times forward has kept me here so far.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Same feeling here. There is a heavy right wing bias between the ownership and many of the mods here. Not to mention the only threads the mods/ ownership seem to post on are political threads. .................

Interesting, you've been here for 1 yr. and 1 month, a relative newbie!

As far as "heavy right wing bias", I'm a Mod and I Mod in the SC, I'm also a 3rd generation lifelong liberal Democrat and unclefishsticks appears to be a liberal also.

Most of the Conservatives in the SC left long ago because of their perceived left wing bias, so who's to say? :shucks:

I will agree that the the addition of the SC has divided people but no one is forcing anyone to go there or post! ;)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I've been here 12 years, spent countless hours adding content to the site as well as learning from fellow growers... and now i feel like a hypocrite for still being here when the place is being used as a vehicle for far-right propaganda. it sucks. lots of very good growers and friends have already left or hardly come any more. SC is run by Gypsy who makes his 'pet' threads stickies.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
What is devisive is the NWO takeover, and the people who like it and people who don't - well they are not going to agree much. It is natural for people to resist change at the point of a gun, knowing their country and Constitution have been usurped. I don't see how the site can be called conservative when the commies get a sticky just for the asking.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What is devisive is the NWO takeover, and the people who like it and people who don't - well they are not going to agree much. It is natural for people to resist change at the point of a gun, knowing their country and Constitution have been usurped. I don't see how the site can be called conservative when the commies get a sticky just for the asking.

Thanks for providing an example of the dumb, divisive, conspiracy driven BS that has ruined the best weed site on the internet. FFS!
Stoners buying into that sort of nonsense is the best argument against legalization that i've ever heard!

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
...............the place is being used as a vehicle for far-right propaganda....

....... it's in the eye of the beholder, everyone has their biases, the place is being used for everyone to express their opinion, no matter how someone else wants to label it!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
....... it's in the eye of the beholder, everyone has their biases, the place is being used for everyone to express their opinion, no matter how someone else wants to label it!

No, it is biased and you should be objective enough to see that. Gypsy knows, but right wing propaganda is clearly more more important to him these days than the reputation of ICmag as a weed site. I can see why he does it, i'm sure it's good 'fishing' for him, but it doesn't make it right.
VG

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
OK, we'll have to agree to disagree as this is really a topic for the Speaker's Corner so feel free to start a thread there, the SC could surely use some new material other than Covid! ;).

Great outdoors

As far as "heavy right wing bias", I'm a Mod and I Mod in the SC, I'm also a 3rd generation lifelong liberal Democrat and unclefishsticks appears to be a liberal also.

Most of the Conservatives in the SC left long ago because of their perceived left wing bias, so who's to say? :shucks:

I will agree that the the addition of the SC has divided people but no one is forcing anyone to go there or post! ;)

Well I may be relatively new to joining the site, but that doesn't stop me from reading old content. I'm way old school and wouldn't even think of clicking on a weed website before it was legal.
I have been a member of several sport forums through the years and have seen them digress in the same manner. Many have moved on with other social media and it seems the right wing rhetoric seems to creep in any space they can find.
I comment on the odd post in SC, mostly for humors sake. But when I want to talk about Cannabis, I don't need political comments coming in. It has a tendency to spill over as the majority of the traffic these days is on SC.
It would just be nice to see a Cannabis site in which more than half the traffic was actually about Cannabis.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If it was possible, not that I think it is, a membership probation period of say 5 years before being able to post in SC would be ideal. That way people have got to grips with their grow, made a few friends, and value their account. Such people are less likely to start new shit or flaming others. I'm politically central, I see mods and members way out in both left and right field. I've got friends and those I don't respond to in each field. Sadly, the less people know, the more sure they are that they are right. If only everyone would just listen to me, lol. :biglaugh:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
lol, I hear ya GMT, what I'd like is to be able to ban out-of-line posters from posting in the SC rather than banning from the entire site! :flowers2:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Ookay then, message received.

..... no message, just a simple fact! The SC here was started because politics in the real world was heating up and poster's feelings were seeping out into the Toker's Den and grow threads, where no politics were allowed, as on almost all pot sites.

The SC was supposed to be the solution to a problem, peeps wanted to discuss politics and after you've been growing for X number of years there isn't that much to talk about, which is why many post in the SC exclusively rather than in grow threads.

......... but let's face it, the whole World's gone mad, there are no permanent solutions to any of the problems, just shiny ideas that 'make sense' until they don't! :biggrin:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
The SC was supposed to be the solution to a problem, peeps wanted to discuss politics and after you've been growing for X number of years there isn't that much to talk about, which is why many post in the SC exclusively rather than in grow threads.

The real problem is us. You. Me. Everybody. Ask yourself . . .

How many grow threads have I read recently?
How many growing problems have I tried to help answer?
How much am I contributing to the grow content on this forum?

antheis

Veteran
..... no message, just a simple fact! The SC here was started because politics in the real world was heating up and poster's feelings were seeping out into the Toker's Den and grow threads, where no politics were allowed, as on almost all pot sites.

......... but let's face it, the whole World's gone mad, there are no permanent solutions to any of the problems, just shiny ideas that 'make sense' until they don't! :biggrin:

nah, you told him to fuck off.
maybe you didn't mean to, maybe its just the way you're expected to moderate. maybe this is why this site fucking sucks now.
everyone talks about how much great wealth is on this site and it'd be a loss if it disappeared, and until recently i would have agreed. now the search sucks something fierce and any good information is backed up on internet archives.
the speakers corner definitely pushed this site into a deeper dive.

Status
Not open for further replies.