What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Easier way to place photos in posts?

The Hermit

Hi all. I'm trying to find an easier way to place photos within a post and I feel like I must be missing something because it shouldn't be this difficult!

Currently, I'm uploading my images from my hard drive to my albums (in itself a process that seems to have way too much clicking involved to be intuitive), then I add them to the post using the camera icon and clicking "Select from Photo Album" but all that does is add a thumbnail of the photo to the box underneath the post, I just can't work out how to place it within the post itself.

The fix I'm using (until I can find an easier way) is to publish the post with the image imported but not placed in the post. Then, once it's published, I click "edit" and the image thumbnail appears in the box below the post but this time offering me the options of Thumbnail, Small, Medium, Large, Full Size, or Remove. So, I click on Large, which always gives me an error first time (Invalid Request) and just drops a thumbnail into the post, not a Large image like I asked. So now I have to delete this unwanted thumbnail from the post and then click "Large" for a second time, which works this time, for some bizarre reason. So I can get the images in the post but it takes about 3 times as long as it should.

I don't believe I'm the only one having this problem.
Has anyone got any ideas on how to make this process a little less painful?
It's really starting to piss me off, it should be very easy but it's anything but!
Hopefully I've just been missing some important step in the process.
Peace y'all.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
The fix I'm using (until I can find an easier way) is to publish the post with the image imported but not placed in the post. Then, once it's published, I click "edit" and the image thumbnail appears in the box below the post but this time offering me the options of Thumbnail, Small, Medium, Large, Full Size, or Remove. So, I click on Large, which always gives me an error first time (Invalid Request) and just drops a thumbnail into the post, not a Large image like I asked. So now I have to delete this unwanted thumbnail from the post and then click "Large" for a second time, which works this time, for some bizarre reason. So I can get the images in the post but it takes about 3 times as long as it should.

That is exactly the fix I have been using as well.

The Hermit

Thanks for sharing those but they deal with deleting images from posts and albums, not posting them & placing them within posts, which is my issue.
Are there any more useful videos where these came from? ATUK ? 🙏

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Thanks for sharing those but they deal with deleting images from posts and albums, not posting them & placing them within posts, which is my issue.
Are there any more useful videos where these came from? ATUK ? 🙏

Not that I have seen. I feel your pain because going on 3 months, this should have been rectified by now :(

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Yeah I have a back log of like 100 images I’ve just given up on even posting. From day one I feel like this has just been considered as small bugs that will be patched soon. Seems to me like the whole website design is trash and takes longer to do EVERYTHING. Not sure how this is a update at all.

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The software bods at vBulletin were good, but got lazy and had India write this version. They farmed out the work in modules. Then when they gathered them all in, they didn't work together. Much patching was done to make a working software to sell. They don't use it themselves though.

This is why when when replying you have a whole host of methods available, but non you want. Facilities in edit that should of been in compose. No basics like quote tags. Nobody single person sat down and made it.

It's like we build a car. I'm going to make the doors. You make the pedals. They can make a gearbox. She can find an engine. He can get some wheels. I'm sure it will all fit together, because we all know what a car looks like, right? So then we all turn up to assemble our car, And I thought the window switches would be on the center console, but the guy that made that thought switches go in the doors. The clutch pedal was a work of art, but the gearbox automatic. Whoever thought we were building a 3 wheeler needs looking at., and the engines an outboard. Yes we will make it work, but I'm going to keep driving my old one I think..

Never fear... there is talk of another migration. Which looks like the only option tbh. This can't really be fixed, it's just banging one's head against the wall.

Great outdoors

I agree it is brutal posting pictures and you have to really want it to go through with it.
As has been said previously I can see a ton of downsides to the new format and no upsides.

The Hermit

The software bods at vBulletin were good, but got lazy and had India write this version. They farmed out the work in modules. Then when they gathered them all in, they didn't work together. Much patching was done to make a working software to sell. They don't use it themselves though.

This is why when when replying you have a whole host of methods available, but non you want. Facilities in edit that should of been in compose. No basics like quote tags. Nobody single person sat down and made it.

It's like we build a car. I'm going to make the doors. You make the pedals. They can make a gearbox. She can find an engine. He can get some wheels. I'm sure it will all fit together, because we all know what a car looks like, right? So then we all turn up to assemble our car, And I thought the window switches would be on the center console, but the guy that made that thought switches go in the doors. The clutch pedal was a work of art, but the gearbox automatic. Whoever thought we were building a 3 wheeler needs looking at., and the engines an outboard. Yes we will make it work, but I'm going to keep driving my old one I think..

Never fear... there is talk of another migration. Which looks like the only option tbh. This can't really be fixed, it's just banging one's head against the wall.

An absolute genius analogy here... you deserve a medal, this had me on the floor crying although if I'm honest, the tears were a mix of laughter and pain!

Latest posts

Latest posts