What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hating the new site. A lot.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
What is the logic of putting a thread like "question for sam the skunkman on the original haze", which has over 5000 replies, and was started in 2008, under New Topics?

Absolem

How do I change my sig?

and

How can I look up a specific users posts in a thread?

Is the site fully functioning or is it still a work in progress?

midwestkid

Veteran
I don't know if it's just me, but I cannot search anything?

any search sends me to a gray page that says...
invalid page URL.

I'm not very good with tech of any sort, so hopefully it's just me.
really painful upgrade experience for me.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Nothing like upgrading the very best cannabis site on the web, and making things that were once easy to do very difficult, and other things nearly impossible..

PANIKZ

Vendor
Veteran
Nothing like upgrading the very best cannabis site on the web, and making things that were once easy to do very difficult, and other things nearly impossible..

Theres still lots of work to be done on the site we are waiting on ATUK to sort some family issues out and carry on with some amendments

madalasatori

Veteran
I hated it at first but it’s growing on me now I’ve figured how to use it. Preferred the old green background I find the white harder on my red old eyes

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Its on your profile page, its subscribers or subscriptions, the smaller number one for me lol.

Skinny Leaf

Veteran
I still can't find my old gallery. This was a major downgrade from the previous version. Was there something wrong with the other software? If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Something to do with security certificates. Pity they couldn't buy some fakes from the dark web, like a lot will be doing with covid passports.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The old software wasn't exactly great. Little holes in security were being found and posting pics from your PC was long-winded.

I can't say a good word for the new software. I have used many forums over the years and this is outstanding, for the wrong reasons. There are forums for forum admins, where they chat about forum software like we chat about plants. This choice of software was a mistake. It's probably finished off the company behind it, who themselves don't use it. What more can you say?

I like the users here. Their is knowledge between us. The mods don't show a personal agenda. Battles for supremacy are infrequent. The number of posts manageable, not overwhelming or lacking. It's slowing down though. People are not happy. Space for revenue isn't needed if the number of users declines. Some more progress is needed. Stripping back the endless choices of search result reporting and just making the search work would be good. Quote boxes and typeface choices in answer boxes. The picture handling is no better, it's again many choices to get one result that's broken. There are no guru's for this software to employ though. The salesman doesn't even use it. It's a load of modules they had India work on as individual projects. Got them in, and found they don't work together. Then started patching. They themselves use their own work, V3 not V5, which has evolved to look much like this with many plugin's that V5 was meant to encompass in one lump.

I missed this whip round for a server, it's news to me. I'm in for a whip round though. I have £100 here..

thailer

Xenforo software is $165 I’m told. It works great and is easy to navigate even for people who aren’t used to this type of forum and to admin/mod it sounds like even dumb breeders can buy a forum and set it up. The pic quality is better than this updated version of bulletin too.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I wonder how hard it would be to move from this, or rather the old working version, to something from a different family.
I know the chat part is important to Gypsy and quite a few others that seem to use chat not the boards. Anything we are to use needs chat or a chat plug-in. Which few seem to.
$165 is bugger all. The labour though... but at least using the old backups could facilitate a new forum going live while this was still up. Then users could move over what they wanted to keep themselves. Personally... what I have done here holds no interest. The search doesn't work anyway, so it's all lost.

A few people are going to have to offer up $20 before this could be taken seriously. There has been a lot of work done, that this proposal wants to scrap. However I do know some platforms make moving a pretty much automated process, to gain customers.

Latest posts

Latest posts