What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Growing Sativa' in Eastern Washington

rhage2

I have researched this and haven't really found an answer, so thought I would post it and maybe someone with more experience than me would be "kind" enough to give me some input.

I am really wanting a break from growing indoor indica strains and would like to grow some outdoor Sativa' here in the Inland Northwest.

I am wondering if I am biting off more than I can chew, or is it possible that I can start some indoors and get them to finish by the middle of October.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

r2

geneva_sativa

it can be done if you use light deprivation.

you have got the sun and daytime temps, but evening drops can get tricky.

there are also some sativa leaning hybrids that will be close to finish at 46 or 47 north without light deprivation.

check the Outdoor Strainguide sticky in outdoor section if you haven't yet

russjcan

When is your first day of frost? I lived in Spokane and outdoor anything is just about impossible unless you use autoflowering strains.

rhage2

Thank you for the replies Geneva_Sativa and Russjcan.

I think after your replies and researching it even more, my best approach is to grow something a little more suited to colder climates, like maybe White Rhino, or Matanuska Thunderfuck. The strain I was really wanting to run - Nanan Bouclou - wouldn't make the cut.

regards,

r2

im outside spokane as well, we can get frost in the middle of Oct, Frost is not an issue its a freeze that will kill plants, inadditon its the rains in Oct, we will get few weeks of rain, everyone panics and cuts plants down bud size is smaller ive harvested outdoor plants at late as Nov 7th, they were frosty with ice crystals. And they put on much more weight, if you can cover them during the rain and frost you can finish them out. I had a outdoor 14 foot tall pure sativa that i learned the hard way, the plant needed 30-40 days more of good sun to finish and this was at the end of Oct. and the weather at the time was very rainy and cloudy. It was too big to get covered. I do now lean toward growing hybrids and indicas outside.

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
i'm in the middle...of state
have finished... outdoors

headband
wifi
gg4
afoogey x Kandahar

so : Yes... sativa leaning hybrids are the way togo....

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Well grown Autos and Super Autos are easily as good as most people's regular strains, but you must let them really mature properly

Light Dep, as others have said

Also, indoor clones, run on 18 or 24h, once properly acclimatised to the UV of the Sun, can be put out and usually go into flower, even in 14 and 15h light, so you can use this to trigger outdoor crops early.

ACE/Cannabiogen pure worked Sativas are known to flower 2 weeks quicker from Clone, grow mothers, take all the bottoms as clones, force the mothers, root the shoots in 24h, plant out a carpet that is going to trigger early

Female Seeds Easy Sativa and Mandala No1 IIRC are 2 early finishing Sativas

thejact55

Hey terrapreta: the 14' tall sativa- that wasn't a nanda devi by chance was it??

I have grown in the spokane area, I can get a 9-10 week indoor strain to finish outside. Anything beyond that, is risking it. I'm solely landrace oriented, keep my sativas indoors and indica outdoors.

Outdoor last couple years that finished: some of these aren't landrace, obviously
RSC Sinai
RSC Chitrali Kush
RSC lebanese
ACE Paki purple Kush
Seedsman blueberry
Seedsman cheese

I've been toying around with flowering indoors until early September then putting them outside, but then what's the point really, it just indoor bud pretty much by then.

Thejact55, No it was an Afghani Haze, Thats what the bag of seeds said i don't remember who who the breeder was, it really needed at least several more weeks of good warm sunny weather to finish out the budd were all really small and didnt fill out much.

From clones Ive have finished out blueberry outside turned out real nice, i grew 1 chitrail kush too but she needed more time as well. The flowers were the neatest red/ purple color.

You may have issues going from inside to then outside, unless youve already had success but i think the change in light from indoor to the natural sun stunts and shocks the plants too much to do them justice. I tried taking outdoor plants that were flowering in late September and took them inside and they didnt do well at all i should have just kept them outside.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I have researched this and haven't really found an answer, so thought I would post it and maybe someone with more experience than me would be "kind" enough to give me some input.

I am really wanting a break from growing indoor indica strains and would like to grow some outdoor Sativa' here in the Inland Northwest.

I am wondering if I am biting off more than I can chew, or is it possible that I can start some indoors and get them to finish by the middle of October.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

r2

I'd try Alice or Queen Mother from Delicatessen, avail thru Ace & probably some others. There's a little bit of Pakistani way back in the lineage but not much.

squatty

Anyone hear of Kiona Tropical and Heirloom Cannabis? I've just heard of them and never tried any of their product. I believe they grow sativa in the area. I'm not sure if I can share their website but it has some wonderful sounding strains.

therevverend

Veteran
Hadn't heard of them before. Took a look at their website. They say they use a 'Solarig' brand roof for their greenhouses and what not. I looked up solarig, they claim it filters out some of the UV light. They say this 'greatly reduces the risk of fungal diseases like boytritis'. They also say it deters insects like aphids. No idea if this is true or not but it would be worth looking into.
They say they use light deprivation, it would be a big help to finishing the long flowering strains they carry. Their retailers are all over the state, wouldn't be hard to find some of their products to try.
They are based out of Benton City near Tri Cities. It is the ideal area for long flowering strains, has the longest growing season on Washington state. Lots of hot days during the summer. It's near the Columbia River so it usually doesn't freeze until the first or second week of November in most places. It can also be windy which is helpful in keeping the plants from getting soggy.
So far north so late in the season the hours of daylight get short. Combined with the cool temperatures it'd be hit and miss on what could finish without a greenhouse. But I think there are many sativas that would finish nicely.

thejact55

Really cool revverend. Might have to find a way to support that dudes cause. Wouldnt mind having some chats with him too.

therevverend

Veteran
Tried out Mextiza (Oaxaca x Nep Jam), a Cannabiogen strain, last summer and it did great. It got hit by a bit of powdery mildew late but had excellent mold resistance, almost none after being soaking wet for a week. Otherwise it's a perfect sativa for Washington state, finishes Oct 1-11. Bangi Haze is another good one.

sdd420

Veteran
Kiona has a lot of really good strains and are as good a smoke as you can get in any dispensary

Shooters

I purchased some Ace Panama Fems that finished in 8-9 weeks indoors and am growing all three in my greenhouse from clone. They are huge! I've been breeding my own NLD here to create my own IBLs that are more likely to finish in my micro climate in SW Washington on the wet side. I live in a rain forest so I rarely do anything outside but due to the start up of a medical co-op I put some out there that I will cover with a temporary hoop house.

Latest posts

Latest posts