What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hosting a VT Cannabis Cup/Gene Trading Events

CimbaKat

Hey I moved to VT in July to start a craft hemp flower company with goals to make medical, boutique, craft, topshelf, whatever name you chose, indoor hemp flower. Not just growing biomass.. treating this flower like it's my personal meds for my cPTSD. VT has always felt like home and it offered the freedom so it made sense. I noticed despite being legal for some time theres almost nothing established besides Heady Stash and their bullshit cup that costs a couple hundred to enter... with no explanation on what the prize is...anyway, that kinda bothered me...

So the property we bought has a store on it and we plan to eventually convert it into a medical grade CBD/Headshop/Cafe hippy hangout.. cafe part is later down the line. Medical grade CBD flowerHeadshop is more imminent.

So this store is perfect for events... big giant open room plenty of room for people to talk cannabis and trade... it's been my dream since I was 16 to grow and trade and live in a cannabis friendly world and at 28... this dream is beginning to come to fruition... slowly but surely.

With that said, I've been wanting to host Cannabis events... we literally have a hall more or less and itd be free to host... maybe not totally free (food, beverage, temporary seating/tables) but people may have chairs and tables. We have a few fold up tables for holidays. we wouldn't have to rent a hall.. its private property as well. if people are intrigued and down. I'll link up and we talk how to network and make it happen. Not bullshitting... this could be the start of a wonderful tradition for our community. Even if it's just 5 of us in the begining.. that 5 people trading and linking up and talking shop. Maybe its 6 next time and 10 another.

My goals are monthly gene trading events maybe the 3rd Friday of every month? Yhe day is not important at the moment. I also thought quarterly cannabis cups would be really cool. called, drum roll please....

The Quarterly Cup! 4 cannabis cups a year, each season, fall winter, spring, summer. Wed have deadlines to submit herb. A quarter of herb required for judging. Not sure how judging would work at the moment but I'd like it to be very unbiased. I was thinking 7 judges, 7 g submissions, 1g flower each. Submissions would have to be sooner than the actual cup event so judges can appropriately judge the flower. My guess would be two weeks prior. Say there is 14 entries that's enough to judge 14 submissions, one a day. If people gotta judge 10 strains in one day, ain't nothing gonna be accurate about that lol. Judges just gonna ass out. Was thinking if your grow got fucked and you're running late, MAAAAAYBE have a 1 week window extension,
explain what happened and boom got yourself a week extra ... needs to be submitted 7 days before event and notify the host. i dont want it a week after the cup. Cup day means winners are unveiled. I kinda want it to be an organic soil grown cup as well... no hydroponics unless organic and even them I'm a jerk about it lol. Thatd really depend on what others think. I just think the future of cannabis should be soil based and be true living. With events like this, wed help promote that notion and culture. Wed have categories:
For flower
HYBRID
SATIVA
INDICA
AUTOs are included in here under the perspective category unless the judging council would want autos separate.

CONCENTRATE
I personally was thinking only Rosin maybe I'm a prude but I also wanted the herb to be strictly soil grown as well.. maybe have separate entries for hydroponic and BHO and things of that nature.

Edibles

Topical

Judging- I like the idea of a 7 judge panel... maybe one person really enjoys indicas, thus making them solid to judge indica entries. Another loves sativa, they're focus is sativa entries. You get the idea. Maybe one judge feels meh about hybrids but loves a good sativa and a good indica. Another judge doeant discriminate and loves all spectrums of flower.. I feel this will help give more accurate and fair judgments..

Wed come up with judging criteria.

Blind tasting (all you know is category, hybrid, indica, sativa,) no name, no genetics, unbiased rating. Just labeled a number and you get to smell it and touch it, look at it, grind it, break it up, etc. After you judged the flower, you'll be given info on its lineage and it is no longer a secret. This would help biasedness. Say judge 5 hates Cookies, thinks is pollenchuckin bullshit but a Forum Cut Cookie is entered... off the tip head gonna be like nah... where as if its blind.. maybe his nose won't know and we get an unbiased judgement. Follow me?

My idea is VT grown flower only, but part of me wants to include new England as a whole... but i like the idea of doing some for VT.. but also like including everyone to endludge in the festivities.

Anyone feedback, concerns, ideas?
Should lab testing be a requirement...? I say yes but then it costs people $75? Which sucks.

I'm a chef, vegan, so I'd be down to cater the events but wed need to pool money etc, I couldn't afford to buy all the food etc.. I can make non crazy vegan food, your basic party food. Well do an allergy inquiry for people. maybe we charge a ticket fee of $10.00 to cover food and beverage costs etc. Maybe the cup event costs a little more, $15, so we can have prize money.. honestly I'm hoping before the cups would happen, weve had already established a monthly or biweekly gene trading events and winners of cups could get cuts, seeds in addition To money maybe even win flower, etc.. not having to cover hall rental will make this much more affordable and better for competition because the pool for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, would be larger with not rent for venue..

Holla holla holla... I'm in Rutland btw.

Last edited:
E

ESTERCHASER

rutland is the armpit of vermont and inundated with knuckleheads selling crack nowadays, that being said your push is the right one! i can remember driving through older rutvegas (rutland) and seeing abar LITERALLY on every corner! Maybe having an event like the old reagee fest that got so large we ran outa room for it after too long could work as well> ???

what would really be beneficial is a spot to meet like minded folks without a comp. i just wanna shoot the shit and meet new folks, maybe see how many natives are still around like me.

CimbaKat

God so much hate VT for poor old Rutland it is silly.. lol. funny VTers have this rep for being nice but yall shit on the homeless, down trotted and drug addicted.. People gotta live outside of their green mountain bubble. Rutland is no different than any other city in any other state, or even in any other country. I dont get it.

I'm from NJ and Patterson, New Brunswick, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Woodbridge, Perth Amboy, Piscatsway, North and south Plainfield, Hoboken, pretty much any city major or small is like Rutland. I mean New Brunswick NJ is about the same size as Rutland, a little smaller but with triple the population.. and just as much drugs plus gang and gun violence, hella prostitution... commercial ave been the spot for prostitutes since I was a child.. fuk man, NBPD was running a brothel... and mad police got arrested.. police brutality once a few years they beat someone to death... always a blackman. Horrible scum bag pigs. MS13, Latin Kings, Piru, Bloods, Crips. Mainly MS13 who are abominable. Was a beautiful mural in NB and fuckin MS13 tagged it everywhere.. scary shit honestly.. in New Brunswick NJ I used to walk around with a "fuck with me imma kill you face" when I was hustling. In Rutland theres none of that, Atleast that I haven't seen, maybe I'm wrong, only been here since july. To me, Rutland is actually pretty nice if you see other cities in the country. You have your nice parts, historic districts, affluent parts of town. main strip, hole in the walls, inbetweens and dilapidated ghettos. I really expected so much worse when I moved here after reading about it.. lol but it's like anywhere else in NJ. We got the Port and heroin like a mofucka... that war on terror dope.. killin the garden state. Plus hella cocaine now.. massive influx of cocaine its crazy...

Its Just kinda weird seeing all the hate for Rutland. I think its beautiful.. we have epic mountain views with mesmerizing sunsets and sunrises. I wake up and take the dogs out and I see mountains and am blasted by the smell of evergreens. Sherbert looking skies multiple times a week. Fall foliage, wonderful but short summer, its beautiful place. Fuckin amazing.

No body in NJ really bitches the way VTers do about Rutland except for ritzy white people but I've also noticed VT is literally 90% white like Colorado so that could explain it.. Every coworker I've worked with thus far is so judgemental when I say I live in Rutland. It's kinda lame.. like really? C'mon grow up. "Oh you're from Rutland... hows... that..? "Ugh Rutland, whats that like...?" Oh... Rutland...? Idk maybe its cultural differences. I'm from a place where the entire state is pretty much urban.. I grew up with cousins in the projects, went to church smackdabbed in the hood. My wife worked at a law firm and heard gunshots all the time lol. I seen police stand offs with dudes blocking off like 5 blocks... It was always normal to me and felt like home even though I lived 5 mins away in the burbs.

.personally I'm like fuck Poultney... lol. That bumblefuck town is worse than Rutland for me... everyone in that town is literally related on some hills have eyes shit. I'd hate to breakdown there and end up being a nacho topping at a dive bar. I wonder how many small VT towns are filled with uncle brothers and sister cousins lol. Job I worked at 75%+ of the staff was related lol and then they told me the entire town is essentially one big inbred family.. i was like... ooooooh. Wow that's interesting... quit that shit lol, commute was awful, boss was a drunk, was a shithole anyway. Just weird. No one in NJ talks shit to your face about where you're from lol. It's just rude and NJ has the cruddiest, rudest, meanest, cold, calloused people you could imagine. Just odd. This weird uppity attitude.

Rutland is doughnut shaped, city in the center, town around it. We're in farmland of rutland, the rim of the doughnut. Not the city. Were like 5 mins from downtown but located in mountain farmland. To me Even the city is not bad people shoot dope, sell sex everywhere... fuckin Alaska got the same problem lol. crack is everywhere... yeah y'all got meth which is more midwest, northwestern issue but i was shocked hearing all the shit talk about Rutland City, it's a nice city. only shitty spot ive found is Walmartpart of town.. and Walmart is alwats the shitty part of town, everywhere you go lol. Fuck Walmart.

Getting back to the topic at hand, As far as the charge at the doors goes, like I said, I cannot afford to supply food and beverages. The cover at the door is to literally just cover refreshments and food unless we organize and people bring food and beverage like a family party. The point is to have monthly meet ups, socialize, network, exchange genetics, ideas, growing methods, etc. Not make money. I want a community started for the community. I personally would rather a cover at the door go to the homeless population of Rutland, towards food for the needy, winter clothing. Maybe a big meal at a shelter.. Its fuckin depressing seeing so many people asking for just food and water, never asking for money... in NJ most homeless people want cash..and are addicted to crack and go buy crack. in VT they want food. Just want water... It's sad man. I keep water bottles in the car now..

If you're actually interested in making this happen just holla... wed have 4 to 5 people including you and my family.. which is a start, be nice to get 10+ people and start.

mowood3479

Veteran
I’d go, fairly local
been looking to make some trades
Looking for a fast finishing industrial hemp cut for outdoor production in vt
Cbd >10% or anything super dank/ interesting

Last edited:

HerbChambers

I like the idea of meet-up/genetics trade. Maybe a little further than I’d want to travel more than once a month.

I do think the idea of a cup 4 times a year is overkill. Maybe split up the categories you mentioned over 4 separate events, but all those categories, 4 times a year in a state with a population of 600,000 will be a stretch.

Mowood tell me about that sweet island skunk. Has the cut been around a while? We used to get zips of sweet island skunk around 2010 that was up there with some of the best weed I ever smoked.

E

ESTERCHASER

hate?

hate?

God so much hate VT for poor old Rutland it is silly.. lol. funny VTers have this rep for being nice but yall shit on the homeless, down trotted and drug addicted.. People gotta live outside of their green mountain bubble. Rutland is no different than any other city in any other state, or even in any other country. I dont get it.

I'm from NJ and Patterson, New Brunswick, Trenton, Newark, Jersey City, Woodbridge, Perth Amboy, Piscatsway, North and south Plainfield, Hoboken, pretty much any city major or small is like Rutland. I mean New Brunswick NJ is about the same size as Rutland, a little smaller but with triple the population.. and just as much drugs plus gang and gun violence, hella prostitution... commercial ave been the spot for prostitutes since I was a child.. fuk man, NBPD was running a brothel... and mad police got arrested.. police brutality once a few years they beat someone to death... always a blackman. Horrible scum bag pigs. MS13, Latin Kings, Piru, Bloods, Crips. Mainly MS13 who are abominable. Was a beautiful mural in NB and fuckin MS13 tagged it everywhere.. scary shit honestly.. in New Brunswick NJ I used to walk around with a "fuck with me imma kill you face" when I was hustling. In Rutland theres none of that, Atleast that I haven't seen, maybe I'm wrong, only been here since july. To me, Rutland is actually pretty nice if you see other cities in the country. You have your nice parts, historic districts, affluent parts of town. main strip, hole in the walls, inbetweens and dilapidated ghettos. I really expected so much worse when I moved here after reading about it.. lol but it's like anywhere else in NJ. We got the Port and heroin like a mofucka... that war on terror dope.. killin the garden state. Plus hella cocaine now.. massive influx of cocaine its crazy...

Its Just kinda weird seeing all the hate for Rutland. I think its beautiful.. we have epic mountain views with mesmerizing sunsets and sunrises. I wake up and take the dogs out and I see mountains and am blasted by the smell of evergreens. Sherbert looking skies multiple times a week. Fall foliage, wonderful but short summer, its beautiful place. Fuckin amazing.

No body in NJ really bitches the way VTers do about Rutland except for ritzy white people but I've also noticed VT is literally 90% white like Colorado so that could explain it.. Every coworker I've worked with thus far is so judgemental when I say I live in Rutland. It's kinda lame.. like really? C'mon grow up. "Oh you're from Rutland... hows... that..? "Ugh Rutland, whats that like...?" Oh... Rutland...? Idk maybe its cultural differences. I'm from a place where the entire state is pretty much urban.. I grew up with cousins in the projects, went to church smackdabbed in the hood. My wife worked at a law firm and heard gunshots all the time lol. I seen police stand offs with dudes blocking off like 5 blocks... It was always normal to me and felt like home even though I lived 5 mins away in the burbs.

.personally I'm like fuck Poultney... lol. That bumblefuck town is worse than Rutland for me... everyone in that town is literally related on some hills have eyes shit. I'd hate to breakdown there and end up being a nacho topping at a dive bar. I wonder how many small VT towns are filled with uncle brothers and sister cousins lol. Job I worked at 75%+ of the staff was related lol and then they told me the entire town is essentially one big inbred family.. i was like... ooooooh. Wow that's interesting... quit that shit lol, commute was awful, boss was a drunk, was a shithole anyway. Just weird. No one in NJ talks shit to your face about where you're from lol. It's just rude and NJ has the cruddiest, rudest, meanest, cold, calloused people you could imagine. Just odd. This weird uppity attitude.

Rutland is doughnut shaped, city in the center, town around it. We're in farmland of rutland, the rim of the doughnut. Not the city. Were like 5 mins from downtown but located in mountain farmland. To me Even the city is not bad people shoot dope, sell sex everywhere... fuckin Alaska got the same problem lol. crack is everywhere... yeah y'all got meth which is more midwest, northwestern issue but i was shocked hearing all the shit talk about Rutland City, it's a nice city. only shitty spot ive found is Walmartpart of town.. and Walmart is alwats the shitty part of town, everywhere you go lol. Fuck Walmart.

Getting back to the topic at hand, As far as the charge at the doors goes, like I said, I cannot afford to supply food and beverages. The cover at the door is to literally just cover refreshments and food unless we organize and people bring food and beverage like a family party. The point is to have monthly meet ups, socialize, network, exchange genetics, ideas, growing methods, etc. Not make money. I want a community started for the community. I personally would rather a cover at the door go to the homeless population of Rutland, towards food for the needy, winter clothing. Maybe a big meal at a shelter.. Its fuckin depressing seeing so many people asking for just food and water, never asking for money... in NJ most homeless people want cash..and are addicted to crack and go buy crack. in VT they want food. Just want water... It's sad man. I keep water bottles in the car now..

If you're actually interested in making this happen just holla... wed have 4 to 5 people including you and my family.. which is a start, be nice to get 10+ people and start.

once again.....this is a perfect example of why natives dont mess with new arrivals........:tiphat:

90% of vermont is white? you done genetuc testing on these folks? or are misconceptions something that goes hand in hand with misdirected hostility!? I find it quite amusing you read my post and start rationalizing your idea of vermont! I graduated from richard stockton state and im nt white buddy, the native americans never succeeded these lands....folks came here and said oh how nice it is here......MINE! Go figure! theres places in jersey just as nice as your "perfect landscape" you describe.....jesus crist if anything is 90% whitre its smithville NJ or MARGATE< VETNOR>>>PLEASE!

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
It seems like a pretty good idea to me. There's junkies everywhere, so what.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Potheads looking down on people addicted to drugs just strikes me as, well, to put it nicely, completely fucked up. I'm about 2 hours out of Rutland, but I don't have any elite genetics really.

Try contacting Gene Traders they've had successful events in central & western mass not far from Rutland they might be into it & message me also I'm in VT about once a week to snowboard we can meet up & go over some stuff cuz I think I can help

E

ESTERCHASER

huh

huh

Potheads looking down on people addicted to drugs just strikes me as, well, to put it nicely, completely fucked up. I'm about 2 hours out of Rutland, but I don't have any elite genetics really.

no your right, i should put a sign on my front porch that says anytime you heroin junkies smell pot growing or think you see a grow operation going over here break in please! I think its more to do with the fact that ALOT of drug addicts from NY NH MASS come to vermont cause they can get housed, and suboxone thrown at them like snowflakes!
rather then gain employment like the rest bof us suckers...they choose to cruise the neighborhoods to steal, its happened on my street 15 tims since 2016 and the reality is they are addicts in the clinic(that domt fuken work apparently) still using! Im here to judge the addiction but i am gonna deal with ya if you try to steal my families stuff! See i used to work outside of rutalnd with jamaicans picking apples...its pretty bad even back then when they would NEVER wanna live in rutland.........I suggest you explore the entire state and its folks before you fall on your sword for rutland! seems to me even their mayor and his kids shooting up one another then shooting up the police dept is proof rutland is a fuken circus!

They gotta get miro fukberger outa office in burlington, he is a gentrifying scumbag!

all im reading is out of staters who moved to vermont making excuses for what they feel is right. You wanna swap genetics GREAT! go to mass and have at it! Natives who know one another been trading up here forevah!

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I'm not falling on my sword for anything. I'm saying maybe if shaved apes treated each other with a modicum of respect this planet wouldn't be such a shithole. But this thread is about trading genetics in Vermont. And like I said, I'm close to vermont, but doubt I have anything anybody wants, unless it's GG#4.

E

ESTERCHASER

yeah i hear you loud and clear! Nothing like being a native (first nations) seeing the lands taken by whites, then they allow the rest of the world to do what they want here for the most part now, seems to me shaved apes have no clue how to keep natural resources or RESPECT THE LANDS!

I am a mixed bag of native nuts i guess........ill go beat myself and chain up to the water heater now!

radioman

Where is this Gene Trading supposed to be held at? Rutland? When?... I tried to read this thread but I didn't really get the details... As far as Drugs go - I've done just about all of them. I've drank my share of Booze and smoked my share of tobacco too. I haven't had a drink or drug since 2002. Weed smoking & growing is part of my recovery - it helped quit tobacco, alcohol & the prescription drugs that the Doctors were feeding Me...