What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Republic, anyone know anything?

yardgrazer

Anybody know anything about or tried any of the gear from First Republic seeds? They say they're VT based.

radioman

I just checked them out - I think they are kind of "Pricey" as they want between $100 - $200 for each strain (which is out of my price range)... I already have thousands of Vermont grown Dutch Passion #1 seeds in my refrigerator & I just did a seed crop this year. Yesterday I finished picking all my plants which included a couple seed plants (from a former vendor here at Icmag).... I wish Vermont had more events where people could "trade" their genetics - whether it be seeds or clones or seedlings...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both coasts are expensive! Neptune, First Republic.....and others. Hoping it takes off!

yardgrazer

Neptune's prices seem somewhat more reasonable? Admittedly it's hard to tell what's worth what price, kinda all based on what a person is willing to pay. That and damn do they have 8 gazillions seed cos.

pumpkinpie eyes

Veteran
Neptune's prices seem somewhat more reasonable? Admittedly it's hard to tell what's worth what price, kinda all based on what a person is willing to pay. That and damn do they have 8 gazillions seed cos.

good selection, neptune n sapphire. no vat to be paid. a tad expenzive. bought some on sale @ neptune.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran

^^^^^
That's called great marketing strategy, multiple sites. Not sure if franchised, but having numerous companies under one umbrella....it's excellent marketing!

Seeing how you don't have to pay Europe's tax when ordering, it all comes out in the wash. Neptune and from what I could see, First Republic seed vendor....good selections. Just wait until there's a sale, then buy!!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It seemed overpriced to me as well, but what do I know?

One striking thing that's missing on First Republic- there's absolutely NO info on strains or bean count per package! In order to be prosperous you need to know 1. Strain info (even though pics can be alluring) and 2. Price....if it's $150 for 14 seeds, then maybe doable.

They still have a learning curve to navigate.

yardgrazer

They do seem to give some basic lineage info on their own website, but still, no info about seedcount. Didn't intend to be as down on them as I was, it is cool to have a VT seedbank, maybe was secretly hoping they'd have something special about them to distinguish themselves from everyone else out there - like crossing some long cultivated local cultivars to modern fashionable stuff, or improving on old local cultivars. Maybe the VT beer and cheese scenes have just invaded my brain and raised expectations.

Drewsif

They do seem to give some basic lineage info on their own website, but still, no info about seedcount. Didn't intend to be as down on them as I was, it is cool to have a VT seedbank, maybe was secretly hoping they'd have something special about them to distinguish themselves from everyone else out there - like crossing some long cultivated local cultivars to modern fashionable stuff, or improving on old local cultivars. Maybe the VT beer and cheese scenes have just invaded my brain and raised expectations.

Well if it takes a decade or two to breed a line, why would anyone get excited about this new bagseed crap they call strains?

Ignorance is actively ruining reality. People want Dicklover Cookies crossed with Carpet Munch Kush two months after both made u derivative bagseed bag appeal clones hit Instagram. This is insanity. These joke seed companies are all a scam. Unless they've been working stuff from 20 years ago for 20 years, they are a SCAM.

Enjoy your worse-than-reggie, Neo reggie random bagseed garbage. Making fake breeders rich but selling bagseed worse than your get out of any random lb.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well if it takes a decade or two to breed a line, why would anyone get excited about this new bagseed crap they call strains?

Ignorance is actively ruining reality. People want Dicklover Cookies crossed with Carpet Munch Kush two months after both made u derivative bagseed bag appeal clones hit Instagram. This is insanity. These joke seed companies are all a scam. Unless they've been working stuff from 20 years ago for 20 years, they are a SCAM.

Enjoy your worse-than-reggie, Neo reggie random bagseed garbage. Making fake breeders rich but selling bagseed worse than your get out of any random lb.

Yikes!

Del_9_THC

Seeing how you don't have to pay Europe's tax when ordering, it all comes out in the wash. Neptune and from what I could see, First Republic seed vendor....good selections. Just wait until there's a sale, then buy!

What is the Europe tax?.....unless you live in Europe, you don't pay the VAT.

yardgrazer

I presume there's an immense bubble right now, with demand from recreational and medical states, apparently involving plenty of people willing to drop hundreds of dollars on a pack of beans. I'll be curious to see what happens to the seed market and prices should there be federal-level legalization.

E

ESTERCHASER

we got a seedbank its called the abenaki tribes misfits lmao! we used to hand them out to one another at events like waterbury flea market or the fair, chit even at the farmers market in burlington at the new location on pine street i gave away 400 open pollination p2 from MANY MOONS AGO! theres a federally protected wetland (the beltline swamp) where my family grew for 40 years! The problem on a local/personal level is trusting folks to stay consitent and friendly at times. I had a blueberry skunk top shelf cultivar that when i got hemmed up for a dwi went to a crack dealer from utica NY, I hate cocaine and how many good people have become zombies to it. then i most recently had a lady tell me she has to be careful who she does buis with here because theres folks from NYC....representing def jam? buying all the edibles....repackaging them and selling them in NYC for an inflated prices. I have 6 diff cultivars ive tried to play with but the last 15 yrs in chittenden, franklin,addison counties have seen a huge influx of "new arrivals" who in some cases are devoid of moral compasses or commen sense so im SUPER CAREFUl who i share with, an d housing, space, privacy shit even keeping your mailbnoxes from being tagged by some clowns initials..is proving problematic at best one idiot tried telling me the spraypainting of initals on someones personal prop is art....i said art tnat can get u shot at yeah!

I am all for sharing and caring....i just need to know im dealing with folks cut from the same cloth. imho :dance013:

MedFaced

Neptune's prices seem somewhat more reasonable?

They charge twice as much for the same exact strains found on euro sites. Go look at their Karma gear for example. They want $150 for the same exact pack that seedmans charges $70 for. I’ll gladly wait the extra week to save that kind of cash.

CimbaKat

Hosting a VT Gene Trading Event...?

Hosting a VT Gene Trading Event...?

Hey I moved to VT in July to start a craft hemp flower company with goals to make medical, boutique, craft, topshelf, whatever name you chose, indoor hemp flower. Not just growing biomass.. treating this flower like it's my personal meds for my cPTSD. VT has always felt like home and it offered the freedom so it made sense. I noticed despite being legal for some time theres almost nothing established besides Heady Stash and their bullshit cup that costs a couple hundred to enter... with no explanation on what the prize is...anyway, that kinda bothered me...

So the property we bought has a store on it and we plan to eventually convert it into a medical grade CBD/Headshop/Cafe hippy hangout.. cafe part is later down the line. Medical grade CBD flowerHeadshop is more imminent.

So this store is perfect for events... big giant open room plenty of room for people to talk cannabis and trade... it's been my dream since I was 16 to grow and trade and live in a cannabis friendly world and at 28... this dream is beginning to come to fruition... slowly but surely.

With that said, I've been wanting to host Cannabis events... we literally have a hall more or less and itd be free to host... maybe not totally free (food, beverage, temporary seating/tables) but people may have chairs and tables. We have a few fold up tables for holidays. we wouldn't have to rent a hall.. its private property as well. if people are intrigued and down. I'll link up and we talk how to network and make it happen. Not bullshitting... this could be the start of a wonderful tradition for our community. Even if it's just 5 of us in the begining.. that 5 people trading and linking up and talking shop. Maybe its 6 next time and 10 another.

My goals are monthly gene trading events maybe the 3rd Friday of every month? Yhe day is not important at the moment. I also thought quarterly cannabis cups would be really cool. called, drum roll please....

The Quarterly Cup! 4 cannabis cups a year, each season, fall winter, spring, summer. Wed have deadlines to submit herb. A quarter of herb required for judging. Not sure how judging would work at the moment but I'd like it to be very unbiased. I was thinking 7 judges, 7 g submissions, 1g flower each. Submissions would have to be sooner than the actual cup event so judges can appropriately judge the flower. My guess would be two weeks prior. Say there is 14 entries that's enough to judge 14 submissions, one a day. If people gotta judge 10 strains in one day, ain't nothing gonna be accurate about that lol. Judges just gonna ass out. Was thinking if your grow got fucked and you're running late, MAAAAAYBE have a 1 week window extension,
explain what happened and boom got yourself a week extra ... needs to be submitted 7 days before event and notify the host. i dont want it a week after the cup. Cup day means winners are unveiled. I kinda want it to be an organic soil grown cup as well... no hydroponics unless organic and even them I'm a jerk about it lol. Thatd really depend on what others think. I just think the future of cannabis should be soil based and be true living. With events like this, wed help promote that notion and culture. Wed have categories:
For flower
HYBRID
SATIVA
INDICA
AUTOs are included in here under the perspective category unless the judging council would want autos separate.

CONCENTRATE
I personally was thinking only Rosin maybe I'm a prude but I also wanted the herb to be strictly soil grown as well.. maybe have separate entries for hydroponic and BHO and things of that nature.

Edibles

Topical

Judging- I like the idea of a 7 judge panel... maybe one person really enjoys indicas, thus making them solid to judge indica entries. Another loves sativa, they're focus is sativa entries. You get the idea. Maybe one judge feels meh about hybrids but loves a good sativa and a good indica. Another judge doeant discriminate and loves all spectrums of flower.. I feel this will help give more accurate and fair judgments..

Blind tasting (all you know is category, hybrid, indica, sativa,) no name, no genetics, unbiased rating. Just labeled a number and you get to smell it and touch it, look at it, grind it, break it up, etc. After you judged the flower, you'll be given info on its lineage and it is no longer a secret. This would help biasedness. Say judge 5 hates Cookies, thinks is pollenchuckin bullshit but a Forum Cut Cookie is entered... off the tip head gonna be like nah... where as if its blind.. maybe his nose won't know and we get an unbiased judgement. Follow me?

My idea is VT grown flower only, but part of me wants to include new England as a whole... but i like the idea of doing some for VT.. but also like including everyone to endludge in the festivities.

Anyone feedback, concerns, ideas?

I'm a chef, vegan, so I'd be down to cater the events but wed need to pool money etc, I couldn't afford to buy all the food etc.. I can make non crazy vegan food, your basic party food. Well do an allergy inquiry for people. maybe we charge a ticket fee of $10.00 to cover food and beverage costs etc. Maybe the cup event costs a little more, $15, so we can have prize money.. honestly I'm hoping before the cups would happen, weve had already established a monthly or biweekly gene trading events and winners of cups could get cuts, seeds in addition To money maybe even win flower, etc.. having yo noy cover hall rental will make this much more affordable and better for competition because the pool for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, would be larger with not rent for venue..

Holla holla holla... I'm in Rutland btw.

GreenMt

I don’t know anything about them - buuttt I did grow some of Sherpa seeds gear outdoor - bad berry (mobxgmoxogkb) and that turned out great - reasonable prices for some solid stuff