What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis-related VT News Stories

radioman

Phil Scott is the only Republican that I like & I plan on voting for him in the next election. I saw his News Conference when the Retail Sales question came up. I think that he will sign the bill into law. I met Phil years ago when he was first running for Lt. Governor - I didn't vote for him then & I didn't vote for him when he first ran for Governor. However, He has won Me over. I think that he is the best Governor that Vermont has ever had in the time that I have lived here...

Sunshineinabag

Fletcher allen in Burlington has monopolized healthcare in my area and sadly it's allowed them to falloff the earth when it comes to diligent healthcare......ill go to dartmouth first

yardgrazer

Not a fan of Phil Scott... although obviously he's done a decent job when it comes to Covid. The "big" TV station said he plans to sign it, or at least not veto it.

radioman

I like Dave Zuckerman too - but he doesn't have a chance against Phil. Yardgazer - I don't know if You know Phil, but He is a really nice guy & so is Dave. You won't see either one of them play "dirty politics" like Trump & his crew. I think with Dave - I think He just wants to be done with Politics & work on his farm. Maybe he feels he has done all he can do in Politics - I wish that He would stay on as Lt. Governor. I don't plan on voting for Scott Milne for Lt. Governor - so I will probably vote for Molly Gray or one of the independents - No Republicans will get my vote other than Phil...

yardgrazer

Oh, for sure, I wouldn't ever put Phil Scott in the same boat as Trump and I'm sure he's a very affable fellow. I know plenty of avowed liberals who are planning on voting for him (Zuckerman's past vaccine statements, even if disavowed, still haunt him). I also know it's a Vermont thing, splitting the ticket, but it's not for me. Also, while I'm sure he'll do his best to keep things calm and steady, he's pretty interested in cutting school budgets, and while he talks about the tax burden on higher income Vermonters, when it comes down to it often feels like he's talking about "business owners" and farmers and not other higher income Vermonter families. Sure, Zuckerman would also tax the shit out of us, but at least it might feel like the money is going to things I actually value.

Also moot point because obviously Scott is going to win.

radioman

Wow Yardgrazer - You are really up on the issues! I just like Phil Scott because he rides a motorcycle & drives a race car! I have joked with him that I won't pay his tax on legal weed. I don't really care about schools - my daughter doesn't live in Vermont & has kids of her own. I really don't care about businesses either - I retired when I was 35 and I have enough money to last me the rest of my life. What does "splitting the ticket" mean - I just vote for the person, not the party - however no Republicans will get my vote this year. I don't pay any taxes either so I really don't care what they do about that either. I suppose if I had kids, a job or owned land - I would... Right now I'm 2,000 miles away from Vermont but I'm coming back in a couple weeks. Thanks for your views!...

yardgrazer

Well, the Gubner said he'd make a decision, and his decision was to do nothing and allow the bill to become law. Vermont will have "adult use"/recreational dispensary sales starting around October 2022.

yardgrazer

https://vtdigger.org/2020/11/24/pot-prosecution-of-paralyzed-nek-man-raises-policy-concerns/

Ugh, Vermont sucks really bad sometimes. The illusion is of some wonderful liberal wonderland, the reality is incompetent old farts in Montpelier taking care of their friends while ordinary Vermonters languish. Just look at the law they wrote, it's the definition of arbitrary and capricious. You can tell who butters Sears' bread, his friends who own med dispensaries. He doesn't even bother trying to hide it, he comes right out and says it.

Also, the fucked up situation with the cops here. In many places in VT there's the state po and there's the county sheriff, but the latter don't work for the people, it's a business where they try to break even. Wonder how much they stand to get off busting this poor dude?

Sunshineinabag

https://vtdigger.org/2020/11/24/pot-prosecution-of-paralyzed-nek-man-raises-policy-concerns/

Ugh, Vermont sucks really bad sometimes. The illusion is of some wonderful liberal wonderland, the reality is incompetent old farts in Montpelier taking care of their friends while ordinary Vermonters languish. Just look at the law they wrote, it's the definition of arbitrary and capricious. You can tell who butters Sears' bread, his friends who own med dispensaries. He doesn't even bother trying to hide it, he comes right out and says it.

Also, the fucked up situation with the cops here. In many places in VT there's the state po and there's the county sheriff, but the latter don't work for the people, it's a business where they try to break even. Wonder how much they stand to get off busting this poor dude?

I dont even feel comfortable asking him why he gets med canna because he is an adult vermonter and it's his buis period. My family go back along damn way in vt....the host of across the fence is a fan member for example ...just found out ten yes ago lol. Montpeculair has never been for the people.nearest I ever saw in VT was local community taking care of one another sans VT or govt help......then folks move up "concerned" things fall apart and everything is about " what can me and my friends benefit outa this mentality" instead of a how can I help my community be self sufficient because if my fed govtvis any clue govt is the last thing you should rely on.
I've been waiting along time to be able to work in the canna/arboriculture world but shane lynn is quite the douchebag in my experience. I care about lake champlain....my homelands.....the people therein that want it to be their home....their actions will show their motivations. Hopefully I can find something to do with canna here. I enjoy it and could talk it allday!
This entire year I've seen some pretty absurd and over the top ridiculously stupid things said and asked for by folks both new and native.

radioman

That's F***'d up that The Guy got arrested along with most of his plants being taken away by The Police. The Guy is in a wheelchair and just growing the plants were probably a therapy for him. I'm against the "plant limit law" anyway... This year I had 25 Females outside along with 15 "Seed Plants". Some of my plants that had access to water - grew like Christmas trees. However I had some plants up on "The Ridge" {that never got any water} & they were "cool looking" small plants with big buds but less than 1oz. for each plant. So with the current law - I can legally grow 2 giant plants but I can't grow 3 dwarf plants in my backyard?...
My views are - Everyone should be allowed a 10' x 10' indoor grow room & Outside - 30 female plants, no matter the size of the plants. The whole Medical Use Law should be expanded & changed as well. People shouldn't have to lie or fake an illness to be able to access Medical Grade Cannabis...
For Me - Weed being "Legal" doesn't really change things much for Me. I'm not going to follow the Rules. I'm going to grow more than what is allowed by Law and I'm going to posses more than 1 ounce...

yardgrazer

Apparently there were 100 applicants for three spots on the Control Board (does pay a handsome sum). Digger ran an article that theorized legal sales may be delayed months or even a year because appointing the board is taking longer than was originally planned (the Governor has been a little preoccupied with some other thing).

yardgrazer

Two pieces on the topic in the last couple of days, one on VPR about towns holding "Opt In" votes on Tuesday (e.g. Brattleboro, Middlebury, etc) and the delays in setting up the CCC (including some doubt as to whether the Gub will get his final list of candidates to the legislature before the end of this session) and one on the Digger site about the legislature working to make some changes to the law to address equity and small farmers. Pretty light stuff, but semi interesting all the same.

FJ2000

That's F***'d up that The Guy got arrested along with most of his plants being taken away by The Police. The Guy is in a wheelchair and just growing the plants were probably a therapy for him. I'm against the "plant limit law" anyway... This year I had 25 Females outside along with 15 "Seed Plants". Some of my plants that had access to water - grew like Christmas trees. However I had some plants up on "The Ridge" {that never got any water} & they were "cool looking" small plants with big buds but less than 1oz. for each plant. So with the current law - I can legally grow 2 giant plants but I can't grow 3 dwarf plants in my backyard?...
My views are - Everyone should be allowed a 10' x 10' indoor grow room & Outside - 30 female plants, no matter the size of the plants. The whole Medical Use Law should be expanded & changed as well. People shouldn't have to lie or fake an illness to be able to access Medical Grade Cannabis...
For Me - Weed being "Legal" doesn't really change things much for Me. I'm not going to follow the Rules. I'm going to grow more than what is allowed by Law and I'm going to posses more than 1 ounce...

I spend a lot of time up in Orleans county, if he kept his plants out of sight from the road, he would have been fine. They’re not really looking to break balls on dudes like this, it was just “in your face”...hopefully/likely this will get tossed.

Sunshineinabag

Liberal wonderland
Only their money counts

yardgrazer

The question that remains for me is whether the county sheriffs get paid when they make a bust like that. You could see it as "in their face" or as "easy pickings" (low investment, potential income for the office).

Hopefully the state's attorney or whoever will knock it down to something minor and make it go away.

yardgrazer

Per the Digger yesterday, sounds like Montpelier has given up on amending the law (this session) to allow for small producers (and to some extent even mandate smaller producers by limiting overall growing area). Article made it sound like "the plan" is to leave it up to the CCC to make regulations allowing for small producers.

Also read an article in... the Rutland paper maybe... that said the state was still taking applications for CCC board membership. I'm fairly sure the state set an application deadline back in December, but who knows?

yardgrazer

Multiple news stories repeating much the same information about the three appointments Scott just made to the CCC. About what I was expecting in terms of choices, but I'm glad they're at least relatively young (you never know in VT) and at least with the chair seemingly reform minded.

One thing that has me confused/a little concerned... during the Governor's regular (mostly Covid) press conference the other day a reporter asked about cannabis being changed from an agricultural product to a commercial product. I have yet to find anything more about that change, hoping such a change wont lead to restrictions on cultivation.

yardgrazer

They ran a story on the Control Commission yesterday on VT Edition... still plugging away, but they don't even have office space yet and it's still in doubt whether they'll be ready for legal sales by Oct of next year.y

They talked a little about the CCC wanting to promote craft cannabis, but VPR failed to make a connection between the threat posed by legalization on the federal level and craft cannabis operations. With the way the CCC has dragged their feet on getting this going those producers are losing valuable time.

Latest posts

Latest posts