What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed in the 80s and 90s

slacker

In early 80's had "blonde nib " or Lebanese hash and like an above poster said "Lumbo" more late 70's . Kona bud, Panama red, Maui bud wich was exceptional.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Back around '84-'85 there was black brick weed. To this day, some of the most potent product I've smoked. Would kill for some seeds.

Simon

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
In the 90s in the suburbs around buffalo, we would get brown regular weed until about September October until the area would get flooded with amazing locally grown dank of several varieties only known by the name of the grower ex. Todd-bud. There was always roadkill skunk my buddies dad used to grow which is nothing like anything modern I've grown/smoked. Then the good weed would go dry in about February then the regs would creep back in which was a sad time of year. Every once in a while someone would find a stash of the killer during the regs time but it would go quickly. There are some amazing growers in the country around buffalo and would kill to get some of those roadkill skunk genetics. If you ever smoked it, you would definitely know it. Every year at the same time, in front of a certain house on a certain country road the foul scent of dead skunk arises but there is no skunk anywhere and it smells that way 6 months out of the year....are you still there??

This is exactly what I remember from the area. I was fortunate to know some growers and my own, but might have moved some of others if'n ya know, so I got all the above stated experience. Cool post man, takes me back. I was totally that skunk house for a hot min lol.

And that's why it's gone. We got ahold of some blueberry that was just as potent, quick, tasted better, and didn't send you to prison with the stench. Couldn't toss those skunks fast enough. In hindsight.....FUUUUUUUUCKKKKK!!! haha

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back around '84-'85 there was black brick weed. To this day, some of the most potent product I've smoked. Would kill for some seeds.

Simon

This brings back memories in 84-85 UK.. I was using plenty bricks in the miners strike paid for it though in the end but was worth it ..:good::D

Cvh

Supermod
White Widow in the late 90's. Straight from the best sources from Holland.
Back then the weed and hash was still very good in Holland.
I miss those times in Amsterdam in the late 90's and early 2000...

geneva_sativa

In the 90s in the suburbs around buffalo, we would get brown regular weed until about September October until the area would get flooded with amazing locally grown dank of several varieties only known by the name of the grower ex. Todd-bud. There was always roadkill skunk my buddies dad used to grow which is nothing like anything modern I've grown/smoked. Then the good weed would go dry in about February then the regs would creep back in which was a sad time of year. Every once in a while someone would find a stash of the killer during the regs time but it would go quickly. There are some amazing growers in the country around buffalo and would kill to get some of those roadkill skunk genetics. If you ever smoked it, you would definitely know it. Every year at the same time, in front of a certain house on a certain country road the foul scent of dead skunk arises but there is no skunk anywhere and it smells that way 6 months out of the year....are you still there??

My neighbor used to grow that in 80's,,, i know he moved to a town in the middle ny, lol, and was selling a lot of clones

I hear people try and say it was just nostalgia, or younger nostrils, lol

No, that stuff was crazy

SelectaZooly

I grew up in the 80’ as a teenager in the Netherlands. Lived in a small town of around 30k inhabitants. We got our first coffeeshop in 1986. I was 15 back then.

There was a menu of around 10 different kinds of hash and weed. We had a choice of pakistani, afghani, (fungi) kashmiri black hashish. Red an yellow leb, different morrocan varieties like zero zero, pollem, ketama and sputnik. Only a few varieties of weed like columbian, mexican, malawi, hawaian were available and the occasional outdoor local weed which was getting better and better due to changing from cultivating bird feed to modern hybrids.

The imported weeds were all brick weed full of seed and of low quality. Mostly around (back then) 3 to 6 guilders per gram. We would always prefer the mostly very good hashish!

Then a few years later the indoor skunk sensimilla arrived followed by super skunk and northern lights. And the very potent outdoor viking and purple came to the scene. Sometimes you found a few seeds in a bud. We started growing those and clones from the growshops who sold them under the counter. That’s when I quite my coffeeshop skunk habit. We grew enough good weed for a years worth of stash!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
In the 80s it's hard to say. Brick weed. Stick&seed. Flat press that fluffed up and soap that was just solvent abuse towards the later years. About 1990 names like Northern lights were common as the sensi catalogue was being published. By 92 I was in the game properly, growing Big Bud and lots of bag seed from nice things. A few people around me were doing rooms and houses and about 95 I was buying seeds myself and became truly self sufficient using names like Sheva and sk#1 while still popping good bag seed and working anything good that friends had.

I could list names from the 80s but it's just what you were told. Nobody was really going to bring it in and say where from. Likewise in the 90s people didn't want you reproducing their efforts. Names were just invented for punters who like to hear one. I think it was late 90s when red and yellow cotton was in the bricks to make it look like Thai. Even now most of the Cali we see is Crit. I just didn't know enough to really know in the 80s. People that did seem to know have proven themselves clueless over the years.

There was a greater palette of flavours in the 90s. Things could come out with surprisingly individual character. The gap between brick weed seeds done indoors and the hybrids was smaller to. Almost non-existent. As the selective breeding programs hadn't moved far at all from the fields where they started.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
My first smoke was squidgy black. I moved in near the front line, so went down to see what that looked like. Was beckoned into an alley and offered some shoelaces from a match box. I took them back home, but didn't even smoke lol I had to get someone else to roll it. That was a bit of a gateway to harder substances. I started smoking the addictive cigarettes to get over my coughing. I smoked them cancer sticks for over 10 years. Proving that weed really is a gateway drug. Though I'm not sure that's the message behind drugs awareness.

heirloomganja

First was Skunk, but like some brick more, especially minty Thai, but also smoked good Jamaican, Philippino, Indonesian.

Jasper Palmer

It wasn't the first kind bud I smoked, but I was living in a big house in Boston in the early-mid nineties and I had a pretty awesome connection for ounces and QPs (pretty girls who associated with coke dealers)... there was this one super potent bud that stank of pine. That was some memorable herb in a time in which none of the stuff ever had a name.

Besides that I remember when I was first smoking, a few years prior to the pine bud, that I bought an eighth that cost $62.50. Mostly memorable because of the price. I think it was nice herb, but heck if I really recall.

yardgrazer I was in Boston in the early-mid 90s and I remember that same stuff--big fluffy bright green buds that smelled of pine and sweetness, with a bright clean head high and no sleepy aftermath. I wonder if we both got it from the same source. Anyway I've been hunting for that lately and haven't been able to find it--yet. My suspicion is it's one of the classic northern Cali sativas like Northern Lights or maybe a Haze, cured with faster drying than the usual stuff we see today.

44:86N

I lived in columbia MO 91-94.. smoked columbian and some skunk there too..

I lived in Columbia MO 85-91... we used to smoke this imported stuff we called "Tutti Fruiti," it smelled like oranges. Someone who grew up there said it's the same weed Columbia's been smoking for 20 years. I rather liked it.

I did once run across some incredible "Panama Red," a friend scored in the parking lot of the old Blue Note (up on the business loop) on a Wednesday Dance Party night. We went back to my place, pulled several bongs, and, um, wound up pulling some more with a few dudes who weren't actually there...

I knew one of the guys who lived with some of the members of "Blue Dixie," up on Bouchelle, pretty close to College Ave. They got freaked out by "Operation Green Merchant," because they had bought a bunch of Hydro-farm stuff shipped via UPS, so they wacked a whole crop of really amazing stuff from the Super Sativa Seed Club. It was a melange, and all of it was top notch.

And then there was what must have been someone's IBL Colombian Gold, which I affectionately referred to as "Tasty Gold." One night, I was given the job to clean the seeds out of an ounce while everyone else got dinner ready. I kept most of it (the seeds), and started some on what would be my first successful run. I did it with a partner, his house, my skills. That stuff grew this amazing plant with these wack little horns for floral structures right at the stem internodes. Very strange. Haven't seen anything like that since. But that stuff. Holy Mother of God. The most psychedelic weed I have ever smoked. One of my friends called it "Genetically Altered Super Pot." After smoking down one night, I woke up inside a dream 4 times before I finally, really, woke up.
I think.

Yeah, those was the days.

I was one of the "Swing House" cats.

Lived in San Fran 91-93, too. Panhandle Park. Haight St. Yum.

Thanks for the memories!

Last edited:

Legalcdn

I lived in Columbia MO 85-91... we used to smoke this imported stuff we called "Tutti Fruiti," it smelled like oranges. Someone who grew up there said it's the same weed Columbia's been smoking for 20 years. I rather liked it.

I did once run across some incredible "Panama Red," a friend scored in the parking lot of the old Blue Note (up on the business loop) on a Wednesday Dance Party night. We went back to my place, pulled several bongs, and, um, wound up pulling some more with a few dudes who weren't actually there...

I knew one of the guys who lived with some of the members of "Blue Dixie," up on Bouchelle, pretty close to College Ave. They got freaked out by "Operation Green Merchant," because they had bought a bunch of Hydro-farm stuff shipped via UPS, so they wacked a whole crop of really amazing stuff from the Super Sativa Seed Club. It was a melange, and all of it was top notch.

And then there was what must have been someone's IBL Colombian Gold, which I affectionately referred to as "Tasty Gold." One night, I was given the job to clean the seeds out of an ounce while everyone else got dinner ready. I kept most of it (the seeds), and started some on what would be my first successful run. I did it with a partner, his house, my skills. That stuff grew this amazing plant with these wack little horns for floral structures right at the stem internodes. Very strange. Haven't seen anything like that since. But that stuff. Holy Mother of God. The most psychedelic weed I have ever smoked. One of my friends called it "Genetically Altered Super Pot." After smoking down one night, I woke up inside a dream 4 times before I finally, really, woke up.
I think.

Yeah, those was the days.

I was one of the "Swing House" cats.

Lived in San Fran 91-93, too. Panhandle Park. Haight St. Yum.

Thanks for the memories!

I remember the tutti fruiti. Blue note, we must have crossed paths because i was there always on Wednesday. Then off to harpos for thursday, then always late night food at Shakespeare's pizza (i knew the owner). I went to Columbia College but partied all over, people liked the canadian accent.

44:86N

I remember the tutti fruiti. Blue note, we must have crossed paths because i was there always on Wednesday. Then off to harpos for thursday, then always late night food at Shakespeare's pizza (i knew the owner). I went to Columbia College but partied all over, people liked the canadian accent.

I was off to CA. late summer '91.

But, lunches, pizza by the slice at Shakespeare's. Good stuff.

I do remember Harpo's. We went dancing at Shattered a lot. Great dive of a place!

Columbia was/is a killer town, an oasis in a vast desert. Columbia College, Stephens Women's College (I dated several Stephens girls), and the University, made for a great mix.

And great weed, too!

madalasatori

Veteran
Super skunk when I was around 15 in the mid nineties. The guy who sold it to me told me it was class A. I actually got nicked with it! Can also remember I broke my hand (it was a bad week) and the super skunk totally got rid of the pain, never smoked weeed with that effect since

piper

1973, winter, 5 guys standing in the middle of a frozen creek under a bridge, in the suburbs of Buffalo, NY smoking a joint of Jamaican, which we deseeded inside a mcdonalds and we paid $25.00 for an ounce.

I still live in the same house, same area, I miss those days, I thought the weed was much better, no hybrids, today I have my farm in the basement :)

Latest posts

Latest posts