What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NM Governor creates group for marijuana legalization

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham has announced the creation of the Cannabis Legalization Working Group, a convening of stakeholders and policy experts who will study best practices from other states that have legalized cannabis.

The group – led by Albuquerque City Councilor Pat Davis – will make recommendations that will be incorporated into legislation to be introduced next year.

“I want New Mexico’s introduction and management of recreational cannabis to be the envy of the country,” Lujan Grisham said. “We can and will incorporate lessons learned from other states so that New Mexico provides for a well-regulated industry that, crucially, does not infringe on or harm our expanding medical cannabis program, upon which so many New Mexicans rely.”

The working group includes state agency leaders who will oversee the implementation and regulation of legalized cannabis, elected officials from both major parties, representatives of the medical cannabis industry as well as tribal, labor, banking and law enforcement representatives.

“New Mexico has been on the forefront of marijuana policy for more than a decade, and I am confident that this working group can help chart a path to recreational cannabis in New Mexico in a way that accomplishes the governor’s goals,” Davis said.

Legislative proposals to legalize the sale and consumption of recreational cannabis failed to advance through the legislature earlier this year.

Lujan Grisham said she will place the matter of legalization on the agenda for the next legislative session in January 2020.
https://www.kob.com/albuquerque-new...oup-to-study-marijuana-legalization-/5406795/

I'm contacting Pat Davis, having worked on canvassing for him last year, PLUS email my state representative that is pro cannabis. Strongly suggest you all do similar.

There's a Leafly article I'll send them regarding to grow or not, taxes, etc. Might bring/swing the vote to allow grows since MMJ patients can do that.

https://www.leafly.com/news/politics/10-things-new-cannabis-legalization-law-shaleen-title

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sent emails yesterday evening and received responses from both Pat Davis and my state representative this morning. They'll look at all possibilities to draft a good bill- both sound enthusiastic and thankful HB did not pass in 2019.

I mentioned allowing small home grows (pay production license fee as you do in NM MMJ), keeping producers local as Uncle Fishsticks mentioned to me, and by having home grows, allow seed shops. Expungement, and other ideas from Mass. article (Leaf Fly), modeling after that state.They can take a percentage from seeds sales, as well.

Cautiously hopeful.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Back in the day I hung out at Albuquerque a bunch and they had quite a problem with people drinking and driving too much. I hope the Politicos address this well so people don't drive high too much.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Weekly Alibi's Leaflet: Cannabis Dream Team Convenes

On Wednesday, July 10, Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham’s newly assembled cannabis legalization team—comprised of local elected representatives, industry professionals and city, state and county officials—convened for its first strategy session in Santa Fe at the Governor’s Office. The working group’s prime mover is Albuquerque City Councilor Pat Davis. As the Albuquerque Journal reports, Davis referenced 63 cannabis-centric bills introduced at the Roundhouse since 2012 to illustrate the wealth of local data being analyzed by the group, which aims to host four public meetings to examine prior legislative efforts and devise a path forward. Soliciting stakeholder feedback is also a stated objective of the working group.

In voicing her support for recreational cannabis, Lujan Grisham has repeatedly emphasized the importance of addressing all relevant public safety issues and potential ramifications for the more than 70,000 patients presently enrolled in New Mexico’s medical cannabis program. Statewide, indicators of public approval of recreational cannabis have increased steadily over the past few years. The same Journal article cites the daily newspaper’s Sept. 2018 poll of registered New Mexico voters, which found that 60 percent of respondents “would support legislation to legalize recreational marijuana use and tax its sales.” Although support varied geographically, “a majority of those polled in every region said they would support legalizing cannabis.” The working group will make its recommendation to the governor before the close of October. The next public meeting is slated for Aug. 14 in Albuquerque.

I sent the Leafly blog to Pat Davis. Also asked for GYO, sm. production license as MMJ recipients have, having producers be locals.

Going to include Veteran's Grow Groups (there are 3, one of which we donated to for vets)....another reason for GYO clause.

Any ideas (besides obvious taxation), you can offer, seeing what's worked in rec states....or not, I'll write up and send on to Pat. He asked for continued input.

Thanks in advance.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
New Mexico marijuana task force proposes licensing companies

September 11, 2019 03:13 PM

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) -'A New Mexico task force studying proposal options to legalize recreational cannabis has opposed state-operated marijuana stores.

The Cannabis Legalization Working Group set up by Democratic Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham have proposed the state license companies that would grow and sell marijuana, and operate their stores.

The task force says the recommendations are similar to what's already in place for the medical cannabis program.

Members opposed the idea of local governments banning marijuana sales entirely, but say they would still permit cities to impose zoning restrictions and similar regulations.

A bill to legalize recreational cannabis passed the House this year, but did not clear the Senate.

The working group announced plans to give the governor a recommendation in October that could be considered in interim legislative committee meetings.'

Probably means that lucky handful with deep pockets. Sent Pat Davis chair person for committee and my State Rep a recommendation for VETS GROW chapters, allow small production licenses as MMJ already does or GYO....and choose LOCAL markets if/when sales begin, not out-of-state growers moving in.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NM Cannabis Legislation Work Group Recommendations

NM Cannabis Legislation Work Group Recommendations

In my email:
Drug Policy Alliance

As a member of Governor Lujan Grisham’s Cannabis Legalization Work Group, I’m excited to let you know that we just released our recommendations as we move toward legalizing cannabis in New Mexico next year.

This report comes after a very busy and productive summer gaining insight and feedback from supporters like you. The Work Group studied 12 states with cannabis programs, held 30 hours of public meetings across New Mexico, met with patients, advocates and professionals, and received hundreds of pages of public comments throughout the process.

Thanks to those of you who made your voices heard!

Many of the recommendations reflect DPA's priorities, including creating equity in the marketplace, reinvesting back into communities most harmed by prohibition, protecting the medical cannabis program, safeguarding children, and establishing strong consumer protections.

We are pleased that the Working Group specifically endorsed:
Allowing persons with previous controlled substance convictions to participate as licensees and/or workers if they are otherwise eligible.
Automatically expunging cannabis possession convictions.
Dedicating revenue to helping communities and small businesses access capital needed to start and grow NM-based businesses.
Dedicating new revenue to funds to support housing, job training and education programs statewide.
Keep licensing fees low & allow for “micro business” licenses. These allow small family farms and entrepreneurs to enter the market with lower capital costs.
Working with local community colleges on certifications/training to ensure that zip code or income is not a barrier to accessing industry skills.
Decriminalizing the grow of six or fewer plants to remove felony criminal implications for low-level personal production.
We have a responsibility through legalization to repair the harms to communities most impacted by prohibition and ensure that equity, along with social and economic justice, are at the heart of any cannabis legalization proposal.

We’re grateful the Governor’s office involved us in this process by inviting us to be a part of the working group. And we’re eager to continue working with you to help shape New Mexico’s policies as we look to become the 12th state in the country to legalize and regulate cannabis.

Sincerely,

Emily Kaltenbach
State Director, New Mexico
Drug Policy Alliance

Is that what my eyes are reading (again!)??? <see BOLD>

Here's Recommendations to peruse.

https://marijuanaworkgroup.com/report/

Last edited:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
spent some time talking to rep rubio tonight and will be passing on those recommendations to her and should have more opportunities to talk to her further...

rolandomota

Veteran
Wow the future is looking great just over my horizon hopefully this will be the extra push for stupid ass Texas to make it medical and Shortly after that recreational I don't have money or the will to move to nm even though it's like a 45 min drive lol

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow the future is looking great just over my horizon hopefully this will be the extra push for stupid ass Texas to make it medical and Shortly after that recreational I don't have money or the will to move to nm even though it's like a 45 min drive lol

Excellent! Besides decriminalization growing 6 plants, it'd be great to be able to buy seeds in rec shops or smoke shops, Vet Grow Projects, and boost economy with a Cannabis festival, not Hemp...went in July at Balloon Fiesta Park. Lame and over priced.
NM should look into similar Festival like Michigan and California has!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
spent some time talking to rep rubio tonight and will be passing on those recommendations to her and should have more opportunities to talk to her further...

Yes, the more legislative folks know, the better to vote. I've voiced suggestions via email for consideration.

Been heralding VET GROWS for several years, and 6 plants decriminalized.....small family farms.....it sounds very logical.

Hope there's a clause for seed sales somehow and festivals.