What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Michigan Outdoor Cultivation?

cryptop

I have a longtime Detroit resident friend who wants to apply for a 500 plant MMMP license and is looking for a more rural county/city/municipality to cultivate outdoors in. Anyone know of any places that are friendly to issuing licenses and allowing outdoor? According to him most places are worried about the potential smell and are only allowing big indoor players to come in, but there's gotta be some friendly places out there.

these are places up north that have been thinking about it in the news.
Kingsley south of traverse city.
alanson, up here by Petoskey
and most of the UP is, "dont be an asshole and we look the other way."

wont growing outdoors be shorter and more of a gamble vs. setting the environment and having everything dialed in, inside?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Burton in Genesee county, south of Flint is in the process of trying to permit a 90 acre old golf course site for a massive grow so they sound like they are game but it is second only to Flint as biggest shithole in state and I can't imagine the kind of security you would need to keep weed plants safe outside in this part of the state.

you need a local permit in hand to begin the state licensing process in MI same as in Cali.

I have not heard of any localities issuing any growing permits yet but it might be happening somewhere.

almost every municipality in the state has a moratorium against commercial medical marijuana businesses.
it has been a caregiver driven business until now.

eventually some cash strapped areas will start giving out local growing permits to raise money, can't be more than a month or 2 before some shithole like Bad Axe says c'mon over here and let us ass rape you in exchange for some otherwise worthless property in a place with no jobs or clean water.:biggrin:

this is the regulation regarding local permitting needed before the state will consider your application.

LARA part 6

(d) An applicant shall submit confirmation of compliance with the municipal ordinance as required in section 205 of the act and these rules. For purposes of these rules, confirmation of compliance must be on an attestation form prepared by the department that contains all of the following information:

(i) Written affirmation that the municipality has adopted an ordinance under section 205 of the act, including, if applicable, the disclosure of any limitations on the number of each type of marihuana facility.

(ii) Description of any zoning regulations that apply to the proposed marihuana facility within the municipality.

(iii) The signature of the clerk of the municipality or his or her designee attesting that the information stated in the document is correct.

keep in mind all mmj now has to be transported through licensed truckers between growers, packagers, processors, distibutors and retailers so if you go to upper MI to grow you'll be getting hosed trying to get your product moved to the south of the state where all the people live.

Cali estimates transportation fees will add up to $300 per pound retail in their market. bend over and spread 'em!

Ready4

Veteran
Anybody that thinks they will actually be able to work within the bizarre non-framework
of the bogus "regulations" is completely delusional.
The "evildoers" that made up the regulations absolutely made them up with zero intent of having any person or company actually being able to utilize them in a profitable manner or otherwise. They took all the time originally allotted, waiting until 11:59 pm of the last day, to announce the absurd levels of licensing. These "levels of licensing" were put in place to SOLELY discourage anybody from actually trying to utilize them - all they are is roadblocks, investing any serious $$$ would be insane.
Now they will fiddlefuck around with the license applications forever and communities are rushing out to ban operations. The cost of any bud through the system will be so ridiculously high that sales will be minimal.
People who smoke/edibles were doing it long before any med laws, that will continue unabated.
By the time anything comes close to being resolved, full legal will be in place in Michigan and they will try to delay & roadblock that as much as they can.
Absolutely essential to vote out/away from Schuette and the rest of his fellow GOP maggots in Lansing.

These "levels of licensing" were put in place to SOLELY discourage anybody from actually trying to utilize them - all they are is roadblocks, investing any serious $$$ would be insane.

take off the tinfoil, the regulations were put into place so that only people with serious money and intentions would be able to take the time and pay for the fees.
Yes it sucks and it keeps the local guys out but we want it done right the first time.
my .02

growingcrazy

All I can say is good luck.

If you can't do all the leg work on your own, have a lawyer friend or an unlimited budget, it is a slim chance.

Month number 5 of twp. meetings and still no headway in my neck of the woods...

cryptop

I read recently that Oregon and Washington outdoor crops are getting only 50$ per pound wholesale and 50$ per ounce retail. That's something I'd take into consideration going forward with the possibility of recreational here as well by the end of the year ...

https://mjbizdaily.com/decimated-oversupply-oregons-wholesale-marijuana-prices-drop-50-pound/

Yeah it's inevitable the industry is going that way, however that article appears to be saying trim is going for $50, not flowers. And this potential crop would be used for extracts, not for wholesaling as flower to dispensaries.

TheMan13

Veteran
Yeah it's inevitable the industry is going that way, however that article appears to be saying trim is going for $50, not flowers. And this potential crop would be used for extracts, not for wholesaling as flower to dispensaries.

Actually he said trim and flower, but I get your point. Their huge outdoor market is clearly mass extraction driven.

"He said he’s seen outdoor grown wholesale trim and flower for processing selling for as low as $100 a pound, but $50 a pound is “absolutely” possible."

Ready4

Veteran
take off the tinfoil, the regulations were put into place so that only people with serious money and intentions would be able to take the time and pay for the fees.
Yes it sucks and it keeps the local guys out but we want it done right the first time.
my .02
lol Lets see if you can make it work then. Do you know ANYBODY that has ANY license from that yet ? Can you not see them drag it out forever and how they are doing EVERYTHING they can to discourage anybody ?
The idea that it was "done right" is beyond laughable. It was created by the same people who fought tooth & nail against it for years.
By the time anything gets done, it will be fully legal in Michigan.
This is all a huge waste of time and a very bad business decision by any who even attempt it - I wish anybody luck but the hard reality of losing significant $$$ can be devastating.
Stay safe & healthy all ! :tiphat:

Ready4

Veteran
In today's news : "The first time the Michigan Medical Licensing Board began considering applications for marijuana businesses in the state ended on Thursday with nobody getting approval."
Anybody that thinks the State of Michigan cares about the people who benefit from MM is a total fool. These GOP led cretins will do everything they can to stall and block the entire program. Right now, they are shutting down the dispensaries while granting zero approvals to stay open.
Vote them all out in November - they are your enemies !

eric2028

Veteran
If you were opened before and applied for the license you can stay opened under emergency rules. I believe it’s rule 19. Also if it wasn’t said before I’m pretty sure outdoor grows aren’t permitted to be licensed by the state under the commercial law.

TheMan13

Veteran
@Ready4 I do not believe you have a firm grasp on the establishment politics behind MMFLA, "legalization" and/or lawfare/regulatory capture in general.

When I think of these NORML lawyers getting political/partisan and joining the DNC in 2016 I can only shake my head. I cannot help but consider the difference between symbiotic and parasitic relationships, maybe you should do the same ;-)~

Ready4

Veteran
@Ready4 I do not believe you have a firm grasp on the establishment politics behind MMFLA, "legalization" and/or lawfare/regulatory capture in general.

When I think of these NORML lawyers getting political/partisan and joining the DNC in 2016 I can only shake my head. I cannot help but consider the difference between symbiotic and parasitic relationships, maybe you should do the same ;-)~

What you believe regarding my "firm grasp" is 100% irrelevant, you are completely delusional, at best.
You lecturing anybody is laughable.
Their actions speak far louder than their fake intentions.

Ready4

Veteran
FYI

[youtubeif]LP8f-tvDsQQ[/youtubeif]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP8f-tvDsQQ

"What's obvious to one is perhaps not obvious to another."

And.... you post a 4 year old Youtube that has absolutely zero to do with this discussion, a national issue of possible re-scheduling vs an already approved State Law issue . Typical 100% uselessness from you.

I will clarify it clearly for you.
You are not a "social warrior" or an MJ activist that has achieved anything in the least for 'the people" = get over
that delusion. You attended some meetings, babbled some opinions, and then considered yourself as part of the "WE" who was "negotiating for the best deal".

Except the people in power had zero need to negotiate with anybody - they accepted "input" while rolling their eyes and did what they wanted to irregardless of any "input".
And the people in power, who are running the whole show, are AG Billy Schuette and Sen. Ricky Jones, the very worst people imaginable who have fought against the MMJ since the very first rumors of such a law being put on the ballot before the voters and have done all they can to subvert the law. Only the huge mandate of the MMJ law passing in all 63 counties, by the largest margin of ANY issue ever passed by the voters of Michigan, caused them any pause.

The current fiasco had 52 weeks to set a framework.
They waited until the 51 1/2 week to announce the framework.
Now, 5 months later, there have been ZERO licenses approved...
The idea that they were EVER sincere about this working for "the people" is hilarious.
But they have had time to "Meanwhile, the state has sent more than 200 cease and desist letters to medical marijuana businesses across the state, telling them that since they haven’t applied for a license, they’re operating outside of the medical marijuana law."
And Dept. of Licensing officials, accompanied by State Police, have shut down over 140 dispensaries this month across the State.
The counties where dispensaries have been allowed in large numbers, Wayne, Genessee, Washtenaw, Jackson are all run by Democrats PA's/Sheriffs.
Oakland, Livingston, Kent Counties = all GOP, we have seen what happened there.
To make effective change, we need to vote out the GOP who are the enemies of MMJ and have fought it from before the start.

So when you get a license and can successfully run a business under this scam of a framework, then come back with something.
When even ONE business can show success, without shelling out 2 million, then come back with something.
The entire framework is a complete joke and only in place to discourage any intelligent business folks and for the clowns to say "Well we tried to make it work...."

TheMan13

Veteran
I'm not trying to or have I ever insinuated Bill Schuette, Jeff Sessions or the RNC are friends of cannabis. That would simply be ignorant or in others words, the other half of my point in which you are proving ...

When I hear Sessions utter his Reefer Madness ignorance today I shake my head, but I honestly believe that he truly believes that propaganda. He's definately not the only one in his generation and that's sad.

In that clip as you note from 4 years ago a vast majority of states had medicinal laws and 10% recreational. That's unprecedented and a notable time in the history of cannabis, the drug war and our modern "justice system". When I watch/hear Holder clearly obstruct the law/justice and refuse to answer the clear and direct question under oath with a lawyered statement like "What's obvious to one is perhaps not obvious to another.", I can only follow the cash back to DNC special interests (can't you?). That's a tragedy of justice ...

Riddle me this political genius: Why didn't MI Legalize make the ballot in 2016 and who exactly lobbied for/negotiated the terms of MMFLA you are complaining about that just magically appeared and passed through Lansing at about that same time?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts