Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for "Michigan Landrace" genetics

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Looking for "Michigan Landrace" genetics

    Hey everyone,

    I have a couple questions and I hope my fellow Michiganders can assist me in my search.

    Recently, a friend of mine introduced me to a concentrate that he said had been floating around the Northern LP and the UP called 'Purple Pinconning Paralyzer'. After trying the strain and falling in love with the aroma and effect, I was wondering:

    Are there old school genetics/crosses that have been floating around in these parts that could be cultivated and shared more abundantly?

    I'm unabashedly nostalgic about cannabis and while I'd love to have all the classic exotic landraces, or the hottest new GSC-cross. There is a part of me that would love nothing more than to buck the system with some strains that've just been under the radar for 30+ years or something like that. So here are my questions;

    Where should I start? And do any of you know of any strains that are still available that could be categorized as a new Michigan landrace?

    I'm not looking for a direct link to some strain guide or seedbank, I'd really like to hear the opinion of anyone that has ever grown Purple Pinconning Paralyzer or anything like that.

    Cheers!

    #2
    I'd consider a "landrace" the product of generations of open pollination of fields many hectors in size with a phenotype throw of like 1 in 10k. For example the Afghan, Malawi and Thai regions and associated landraces. I don't believe crops like that have existed in Michigan in modern times brother ;-)~

    That said, Michigan has many historically notable breeders.
    Last edited by TheMan13; 06-15-2017, 00:03.

    Comment


      #3
      And after further research, I feel that the term heirloom would better suited to the question that I'm asking.

      And with that understanding, are there any breeders or strains you would recommend me attempting to hunt down? Or do you have any more info on the strain I mentioned.

      Comment


        #4
        We have numerous old clone only cuts here in the Mitten. I think a lot of them were brought in and renamed over the years but we also have strains born and bred here.

        It is all in who you know.
        So Many Roads...

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by johnnyavacado View Post
          And after further research, I feel that the term heirloom would better suited to the question that I'm asking.

          And with that understanding, are there any breeders or strains you would recommend me attempting to hunt down? Or do you have any more info on the strain I mentioned.
          I believe the creator of Pinconning Paralyzer is a local multiple sclerosis patient named Larry Myers. As you can imaging naming a strain after your home town in the 80s was not a great idea, especially once High Times began writing about it. That said, he was raided in the late 80s and lost everything. I'm sure if you look really hard you could find both still floating around today though ;-)~

          Comment


            #6
            I really appreciate all the info!

            I'm just asking because the story behind the strain has me curious about what genetics Michigan has introduced to the world.

            I'll keep digging. This topic has me wanting to go strain hunting.

            Comment


              #7
              I believe MotaRebel Genetics (Michigan breeder) has a Purple Pinconning Paralyzer cross named Pinco Kush (P3xSFV). Good luck on your hunt.

              Comment


                #8
                Michigan Heirloom

                Contact Oasis Medical seeds. MotaRebel got his Purple Pinn. From a friend of Oasis.
                Oasis has Phifty Caliber Kush, check it out. Great strain! Headband X purle p.
                Good luck

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by MichiganCase View Post
                  Contact Oasis Medical seeds. MotaRebel got his Purple Pinn. From a friend of Oasis.
                  Oasis has Phifty Caliber Kush, check it out. Great strain! Headband X purle p.
                  Good luck
                  I appreciate the info; another good lead to follow. The Purple Pinconning is becoming a quest for me. I hope to find her soon.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    no Reason to believe oasis has the real pinconning paralyzer. I think it is BS

                    Comment


                      #11
                      you said it perfectly. Dj Short amongst those great breeders! I would like to hear thoughts on monkey paw as having Michigan origins and any stories on the Detroit Purple strain. What other notable strains can everybody think of? The people I knew running lemon paw got their genetics from the west coast. My version of the Detroit Purple story involves an ekoostik hookah show and it being a green spirit seed left in a Winnebago and spit onto in a dime bag then discovered while cleaning the winnebago out. Who even knows/grows Detroit Purple anyway?
                      Originally posted by TheMan13 View Post
                      I'd consider a "landrace" the product of generations of open pollination of fields many hectors in size with a phenotype throw of like 1 in 10k. For example the Afghan, Malawi and Thai regions and associated landraces. I don't believe crops like that have existed in Michigan in modern times brother ;-)~

                      That said, Michigan has many historically notable breeders.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by stim View Post
                        you said it perfectly. Dj Short amongst those great breeders! I would like to hear thoughts on monkey paw as having Michigan origins and any stories on the Detroit Purple strain. What other notable strains can everybody think of? The people I knew running lemon paw got their genetics from the west coast. My version of the Detroit Purple story involves an ekoostik hookah show and it being a green spirit seed left in a Winnebago and spit onto in a dime bag then discovered while cleaning the winnebago out. Who even knows/grows Detroit Purple anyway?
                        Hey . I don't think too many people still run the original Detroit purps. I was around at the beginning and your story is pretty close . Not going to rehash the whole thing but wakko found the seed in a bag of green spirit around 96'. He said it was pollinated by a purple Afghani because the guys he got it from also had purple Afghani.

                        The first time he ran it it actually hermied and he had a 10 lb + harvest with probably a million plus seeds lol . But in 96' you could still get rid of seeded stuff easily. I'm sure plenty of ppl popped those and it got renamed dozens of times . Like almost any other strain.

                        Anyway it started to lose it's vigor around 2005 and I stopped running it as did everyone I know who had it . I made dozens of crosses with it back in the day . Lost a lot of them .Still have some seeds. Popped some last year and I have 2 really nice varieties, not sure of the father's because they were unmarked.

                        I'll put up some pics next week of the 2 varieties I have. I got some pics up of past seed hunts on IG .same as my screen name.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          there are still beans around of pinconning being held by certain folks.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Thanks that's awesome. A grower I know had a what he called the dude's last bag of seeds (RIP) of the Detroit purps. He would always try to run some with his other gear and they would herm tremendously but he always put a couple in there for the nostalgia and prominence. That's a great add thanks!
                            Originally posted by Firecityseeds View Post
                            Hey . I don't think too many people still run the original Detroit purps. I was around at the beginning and your story is pretty close . Not going to rehash the whole thing but wakko found the seed in a bag of green spirit around 96'. He said it was pollinated by a purple Afghani because the guys he got it from also had purple Afghani.

                            The first time he ran it it actually hermied and he had a 10 lb + harvest with probably a million plus seeds lol . But in 96' you could still get rid of seeded stuff easily. I'm sure plenty of ppl popped those and it got renamed dozens of times . Like almost any other strain.

                            Anyway it started to lose it's vigor around 2005 and I stopped running it as did everyone I know who had it . I made dozens of crosses with it back in the day . Lost a lot of them .Still have some seeds. Popped some last year and I have 2 really nice varieties, not sure of the father's because they were unmarked.

                            I'll put up some pics next week of the 2 varieties I have. I got some pics up of past seed hunts on IG .same as my screen name.

                            Comment


                              #15

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X