What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydro Store in MI?

esstilo

Hey guys,

I’m playing with the thought of opening a hydro store somewhere in Michigan. My main aim is to supply collectives/dispensary’s and MMJ growers with their growing gear. Where would the best location be to open a new hydro store in the MI area? I’m thinking about Detroit myself but I’m not from MI and haven’t been there enough.

Can someone give me some pointers?

You're more than a day late on this one buddy.

Hydro stores are everywhere these days.

But if you must...anywhere in the metro detroit area would work.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pretty much everyone ran and opened a hydro store...there is really no joke to that. In some areas there is room for more, in other areas, the ones that have opened are really competitive, and the ones that had been there all along, they just all seem to be bitter for some reason.

My answer to the question, would be this. If you want to be a "mom and pop" kinda place, or the local friendly know all hydro guy....well, there's a bunch of those. What we need is some one to come and open a megastore. Like a hydro-department store....not shop.

How much did you say you wanted to spend....hehehe.

anyway...that's the truth.

dank.Frank

esstilo

You're hitting my sweet spot dank.frank...

10.000 to 12.000 sq ft. we're thinking about opening. We already are involved in CA stores and stores in the Netherlands so we got the skills. Cash isn't really a problem as long as the business plan and location of the store are right.

I'm not afraid of small hydro stores or garden centers who sell hydro gear.

Timeline is opening shop in about 4 months

Last edited:

esstilo

Do you have any tips on an area to focus on though?

I'm currently looking at

Flint, MI
Lansing, MI
Muskegon, MI
Warren, MI

Where Warren would be my favorite based on google maps, not sure how the area is. Lot's of crime, growers ect?

C

csedge

I heard about that HTG I want to check that out I heard it is BIG. I'd recommend you com to my area and give me a nice deal so I can save a few $ and make meds cheaper for my patients ;)

Btw Warren is a nice city in terms of crime, but I've heard police are dicks and have never met a friend in Warren that grew. But that's relatively close to Ferndale and I know their down for growing and medical marijuana I believe they ok'ed the first dispensary,

Well if Location, Location, Location is the key to success... Warren i think is your best bet.

Its right at the I-75 / 696 intersection. This makes getting there really painless coming from north, south, east, or west. Check a road map if you want to see what i'm talking about.

Thats what a mega store would need.

Madison Hgts. might even be better. You could easily get affordable, large retail space near existing malls.

C

csedge

Except for all that construction on 75 never happen to go that way did today whoa its bad lol

esstilo

Thanks guys, i'm going to MI in a couple of weeks to do some research and check out some properties and now I know where I should go...

Thanks again...

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
Yea i would say go to the most populated area with the least amount of stores around it... The D may be a good area but unless your setting up shop in the hood you better have some cash to find a decent place and get some equipment...

It seems like 2 open up every day.

reddy1

ICMag Donor
75 and 696 are busy areas in the middle of the metro area, hazel park, ferndale, royal oak, southfield, farmington hills; all middle income, safe areas and lots of retail space available. canton and novi get lots of traffic and are big box friendly, new money types. do not put it in warren or macomb county, too fuckin ugly to travel to and they already got like 2 well established shops(harry's and that creepy one i can't remember the name).

basically it's wayne county=hood, macomb county=white trash, oakland county=middle and upper class, livingston county=rich and isolated.

i might think about lansing or mt. pleasant, somewhere in the middle of the state that is 2/3 hours from grand rapids, detroit, up north.

muskegon and flint are bad choices and your business would shutter like the rest of the town has. very sad.

jburns

warren is loaded with hydro shops, and harrys and bestes specifically have loyal clients from all surrounding areas.

esstilo

Yeah Warren isnt my first choice anymore, more like west to southwest of Warren, We'll see.

Talking to brokers now to see if there's some nice 10.000 ft locations available.

pushlimits

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to chime in. I have a buddy who owns a grow shop in Ann Arbor. Nice family owned place, been there for years. When they opened, there were 11 hydro shops total. This number remained the same for about 5 years. Then, one year after the Med Marj laws, there were 39. Who knows how many there are now.

They have a nice small shop, and do well enough to get by. I go there as much as I can, but they know they don't have what I need all the time, and probably never will. I usually go to the bigger stores, otherwise I'd go broke. (and they know this) Now that HTG supply opened in Taylor, they're really screwed. Unfortunately hydro business has become like large corporations, snuffing out the little guys- and HTG is Wal-Mart ladies and gentleman. (with better intentions I hope) I think I speak for most MI hydro store owners when I say- Choose wisely my friend. Good luck.

But, If you can deal with the heat- Oakland county FOR SURE, Richest and largest growing county in the U.S., think about it. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts