What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help me plan my Boston overnight?

Gone Camping

My wife and I will be passing through Boston ~ Oct 10th, after a stop at a local dispensary. :biggrin: My first experience..

Would love some local guidance on where to stay and eat. Figure the Harbor area for the scenery. I don't mind spending the money for a great meal and lodging, this is part of our 34th anniversary getaway. Lodging with a nice view, water or elevated city preferred.

Plan is depart Philly area early afternoon on the 9th, head north to the Northampton Ma area for a cheap motel. Following am hit the dispensary there (bud's rec.. open to other suggestion) and east into Boston. Enjoy the area and head up to New Hampshire's White Mountains for a few more days before returning home.

So where would y'all take your wives? I did McD's last year..

:tiphat:

Phished880

If your really looking to impressed the wife the harbor hotel is fantastic. Otherwise I’d suggestion something in Fort Point. Food options..... Toro- hands down my fav in the city. Row 34 for seafood. Trillium Brewing in Fort Point for world class beer and good food. If you have any other interests or cuisine preferences I can give you more to explore.

yardgrazer

You didn't mention what kind of products you'd be buying at the dispensary. IMHO NETA is good for extracts, and edibles. I haven't purchased herb there in awhile, but I didn't think it was great. If you specifically want flower, the parent company is evil but the only place in the 91 corridor area whose flower impressed me is PatriotCare, 20 minutes further north in Greenfield (staff are nicer IMO). Bonus the parking situation is easier, which isn't to say parking is much of an issue near NETA, there's street parking on Rte 5.

I'd probably still stay in the Northampton area, there are more restaurant options there, and if you have more time, the Smith College Museum of Art.

Upsides of Greenfield are you can take Route 2 into the Boston area... much of which is a little more scenic than the Turnpike (I-90). Can get traficky, but that's Greater Boston for ya. Pike will also be traficky unless you hit it at off hours. Also, there is the People's Pint in Greenfield (bar/restaurant, serve their own quite good beers, food is good IMO). On the other hand, Greenfield is a bit on the gritty side. Certainly never had any safety issues myself, but it isn't college-town Northampton.

If you drive past worcester and are looking for flower, good chemistry is probably going to have the best selection. If you go rte 2 and head to boston that way, there is sanctuary med in gardner right off the highway, plenty of parking and you can order ahead on leafly.

Gone Camping

If your really looking to impressed the wife the harbor hotel is fantastic. Otherwise I’d suggestion something in Fort Point. Food options..... Toro- hands down my fav in the city. Row 34 for seafood. Trillium Brewing in Fort Point for world class beer and good food. If you have any other interests or cuisine preferences I can give you more to explore.

Harbor Hotel looks fantastic, but at $795 a night I think it's a bit too fantastic. I'd prefer something 3-$400, and I see some larger chains with decent rooms in the range.

I'm all in for seafood.. wife may prefer a good steak. I'll check out your suggestions. Thanks!

You didn't mention what kind of products you'd be buying at the dispensary. IMHO NETA is good for extracts, and edibles. I haven't purchased herb there in awhile, but I didn't think it was great. If you specifically want flower, the parent company is evil but the only place in the 91 corridor area whose flower impressed me is PatriotCare, 20 minutes further north in Greenfield (staff are nicer IMO). Bonus the parking situation is easier, which isn't to say parking is much of an issue near NETA, there's street parking on Rte 5.

I'd probably still stay in the Northampton area, there are more restaurant options there, and if you have more time, the Smith College Museum of Art.

Upsides of Greenfield are you can take Route 2 into the Boston area... much of which is a little more scenic than the Turnpike (I-90). Can get traficky, but that's Greater Boston for ya. Pike will also be traficky unless you hit it at off hours. Also, there is the People's Pint in Greenfield (bar/restaurant, serve their own quite good beers, food is good IMO). On the other hand, Greenfield is a bit on the gritty side. Certainly never had any safety issues myself, but it isn't college-town Northampton.

Flower.. I also haven't been very impressed with the offerings from NETA when my bud visit's. I'll look into the other you mentioned.

Let me look into your other suggestions with the Mrs. Thanks yardgrazer

If you drive past worcester and are looking for flower, good chemistry is probably going to have the best selection. If you go rte 2 and head to boston that way, there is sanctuary med in gardner right off the highway, plenty of parking and you can order ahead on leafly.

I'll look into this as well.. thanks

Appreciate the input everyone, i'm noticing the nicer accomodations in NH are doubling their rates on the weekends.. leaf peeper season. Mrs and I are looking at possibly doing this during the week and eliminate the double rates and potential crowds.

Also found a few nice cabins/cottages on Airbnb etc..

If you want something really special, i recommend the stonehedge inn. If you go to this link:

https://www.stonehedgeinnandspa.com/rooms

Pick a room. You go to reservation site. They now offer a cannabis friendly 420 package. It does not include the cannabis, but you can freely use in your room if you are mindful of other guests. You'll find that is a problem in a lot of places.

The food and wine there are outstanding. Wife and I have been there several times, bottle service from their wine cellar right to your room. Not an awful drive to boston either, close enough to NH to go see scenery there. Prices way better than downtown.

highsteppa

Veteran
The Arnold arboretum in Jamaica plain is a great spot to check out. Lmk if you need info on the whites region you can get herb right across the border.

festerous

Veteran
How about staying at the Lizzie Borden bed and breakfast in fall river?
Rates are reasonable, and it would be a unique experience.

CaptainDankness

For Boston all I've done is the zoo and aquarium, not a whole lot too special to do in Boston unless you like sports and want to see some serious fans. Lol, best not to wear a Yankees hat. Lol

Now NH that time of year, you have to hit the Kancamagus Highway, maybe Mt. Washington and they got a pretty cool state park in Franconia Notch, they even have a train somewhere around there kind of expensive but it looks romantic and they have dinners and shit, I'd imagine you might need a reservation during that time of year, just so many damn leaf peepers. Lol

Gone Camping

If you want something really special, i recommend the stonehedge inn. If you go to this link:

https://www.stonehedgeinnandspa.com/rooms

Pick a room. You go to reservation site. They now offer a cannabis friendly 420 package. It does not include the cannabis, but you can freely use in your room if you are mindful of other guests. You'll find that is a problem in a lot of places.

The food and wine there are outstanding. Wife and I have been there several times, bottle service from their wine cellar right to your room. Not an awful drive to boston either, close enough to NH to go see scenery there. Prices way better than downtown.

I really don't have a need for 420 accomodations, Mrs does not indulge and i'll bring some of my own for catching a buzz when I can. I want to bring some dispensary weed home to share with a few friends.. and compare to what they think of my homegrown.

But it looks like a fantastic place.

The Arnold arboretum in Jamaica plain is a great spot to check out. Lmk if you need info on the whites region you can get herb right across the border.

In Maine? I had a thought of running into Bethal to see if a bridge has been repaired leading to a campsite i'v visited a few times.

How about staying at the Lizzie Borden bed and breakfast in fall river?
Rates are reasonable, and it would be a unique experience.

Nah... :biggrin:

For Boston all I've done is the zoo and aquarium, not a whole lot too special to do in Boston unless you like sports and want to see some serious fans. Lol, best not to wear a Yankees hat. Lol

Now NH that time of year, you have to hit the Kancamagus Highway, maybe Mt. Washington and they got a pretty cool state park in Franconia Notch, they even have a train somewhere around there kind of expensive but it looks romantic and they have dinners and shit, I'd imagine you might need a reservation during that time of year, just so many damn leaf peepers. Lol

Wife may wear her Eagles Jersey..

Aquarium is on the list of something we would like to see prior to a nice dinner.

The Kanc' is a priority and the reason i'll run to Lincoln from Boston. Wife has never seen a Moose so i hope she gets the chance, i'll be running the Kanc starting at dawn on the way to Mount Washington area. I'v driven it a dozen times or more, always a joy.

I remember a Christmas type shop somewhere up there, that's another priority to take her. Big into holiday decorations and the like so i'll bring extra funds for that stop.

Thanks all! :tiphat:

Museum of science is pretty cool too, or even just a walk around the harvard square area if the weather is nice.

Kanc is just an awesome run especially if you have a car with some sticky tires.

At stonehedge you get the rooms for way less w/o the 420 option. One of the best wine cellars in the country, but you can always find incredible tasting options below $100. Rooms are really nice and the high end ones have hot tubs, one we stayed in had a private screened in porch too.

yardgrazer

Excuse the advice if you've been to Boston and have a plan...

If you're both okay with doing a little walking, I'd probably take the T Green line out to Hynes/Auditorium, walk a bit of Newbury, cross to Boylston on Dartmouth Street to Copley Square, maybe take a quick visit to the reading room of the Boston Public Library (old building facing Copley Square). Could go to the observation deck ($) of the Hancock Tower on Clarendon (cross streets in the Back Bay area of Boston are alphabetical... Hereford to Arlington in the direction you're walking). Take Boylston or Newbury down to Arlington, and walk through the Public Garden. Cross Charles Street into the Common, bear left if and up the hill to the top, you'll come out to Boylston across from the State House, with the Robert Gould Shaw memorial behind you. Can walk down Beacon, which becomes School Street (passing the historic Parker House Hotel and Kings Chapel at Tremont). At the bottom of School, turn left on Washington Street, it'll bring you to the Old State House (at State Street). Make a right, downhill, on State, and you'll immediately come to Congress Street. Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market are just down Congress to the left. North End and the Greenway is beyond Quincy Market (as is the Aquarium).

If you really like walking, you could start in Kenmore Square and add Charlestown by worming your way around the Haymarket to North Washington Street. Boston is a great place for walking. Plenty of other ideas for various parts of the city.

yardgrazer

PS: Also, random advert, but the major area website had a feature piece about a new hotel near North Station. Odds are October is their high season, but it sounded pretty lux and relatively decently priced for being in Boston-proper (I drove a cab for awhile years ago, I suspect it's much better than it used to be, but Boston isn't great for hotel room pricing - I drove lots of people out to "Boston hotels" that weren't in Boston, and weren't even that accessible to Boston). It's called "citizenM" for whatever it's worth, sounds like high season could be as high as the low 400s. "Article" said it can be cheaper though. Not sure what parking would cost you though.

If you want cheaper and don't mind being out in a somewhat remote spot in the burbs, but very close to the T... Hotel Indigo in Newton is decent, free parking, and adjacent to Riverside station on the Green D Line. Also, right off of I-95 and very close to I-90, so good for getting out to the south and west (and you can take I-95 north, or north and then switch to I-93). That's a relatively long ride into town, but it's not terrible. Keep in mind the T doesn't run all night or anything.

CrossBones

Private room at the local Youth Hostel. International vibe with the backpackers. Cheap and Always Entertaining..

There are also House boats at the Constitution Marina for nightly rentals..

Camping in Salem "Winter Island Park" North of Boston or South at Wompatuck State Park..

Ritz Carlton's Concierge floor is always nice..

Gone Camping

Museum of science is pretty cool too, or even just a walk around the harvard square area if the weather is nice.

Kanc is just an awesome run especially if you have a car with some sticky tires.

At stonehedge you get the rooms for way less w/o the 420 option. One of the best wine cellars in the country, but you can always find incredible tasting options below $100. Rooms are really nice and the high end ones have hot tubs, one we stayed in had a private screened in porch too.

Mildly lifted Jeep Grand Cherokee.. I pull a modified offroad pop up camper when I head out with the guys. Mrs likes cabin rentals but not camping in the backcountry.

I will find a hot tub and a good bottle to go along with a joint at some point this trip. Bad back for years now..

Maine?

Jamaica Plain is an area of Boston. "The Whites" = White Mountains of New Hampshire.

I misread, thought you meant across the border in Maine.. my bad. Does Maine have rec now?

Excuse the advice if you've been to Boston and have a plan...

If you're both okay with doing a little walking, I'd probably take the T Green line out to Hynes/Auditorium, walk a bit of Newbury, cross to Boylston on Dartmouth Street to Copley Square, maybe take a quick visit to the reading room of the Boston Public Library (old building facing Copley Square). Could go to the observation deck ($) of the Hancock Tower on Clarendon (cross streets in the Back Bay area of Boston are alphabetical... Hereford to Arlington in the direction you're walking). Take Boylston or Newbury down to Arlington, and walk through the Public Garden. Cross Charles Street into the Common, bear left if and up the hill to the top, you'll come out to Boylston across from the State House, with the Robert Gould Shaw memorial behind you. Can walk down Beacon, which becomes School Street (passing the historic Parker House Hotel and Kings Chapel at Tremont). At the bottom of School, turn left on Washington Street, it'll bring you to the Old State House (at State Street). Make a right, downhill, on State, and you'll immediately come to Congress Street. Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market are just down Congress to the left. North End and the Greenway is beyond Quincy Market (as is the Aquarium).

If you really like walking, you could start in Kenmore Square and add Charlestown by worming your way around the Haymarket to North Washington Street. Boston is a great place for walking. Plenty of other ideas for various parts of the city.

Walking distances is difficult for me, and the wife has a sore knee at times. I do appreciate the input however! She's leaning to see the Aquarium, whale watch cruise (oct?) then dinner and drinks. She might be a bit enthusiastic with that itinerary however. Water taxi around the harbor might have to the cruise she'll get this trip. Were not all that far so another trip up is not difficult.

PS: Also, random advert, but the major area website had a feature piece about a new hotel near North Station. Odds are October is their high season, but it sounded pretty lux and relatively decently priced for being in Boston-proper (I drove a cab for awhile years ago, I suspect it's much better than it used to be, but Boston isn't great for hotel room pricing - I drove lots of people out to "Boston hotels" that weren't in Boston, and weren't even that accessible to Boston). It's called "citizenM" for whatever it's worth, sounds like high season could be as high as the low 400s. "Article" said it can be cheaper though. Not sure what parking would cost you though.

If you want cheaper and don't mind being out in a somewhat remote spot in the burbs, but very close to the T... Hotel Indigo in Newton is decent, free parking, and adjacent to Riverside station on the Green D Line. Also, right off of I-95 and very close to I-90, so good for getting out to the south and west (and you can take I-95 north, or north and then switch to I-93). That's a relatively long ride into town, but it's not terrible. Keep in mind the T doesn't run all night or anything.

More to look into!

Private room at the local Youth Hostel. International vibe with the backpackers. Cheap and Always Entertaining..

There are also House boats at the Constitution Marina for nightly rentals..

Camping in Salem "Winter Island Park" North of Boston or South at Wompatuck State Park..

Ritz Carlton's Concierge floor is always nice..

The boat rental was a good suggestion... found a 40' Silverton Motor Yacht for a couple hundred. We both grew up with parents owning cabin cruisers and I worked in a Marina for years. This may be just the ticket for an overnight that we probably wont spend a lot of time at.. always nice views on the water at night. This might be just the ticket!

Thanks again everyone.. we both appreciate it!

Found some nice cabins and cottages on Airbnb that just might be what we do in the White's.

X

xavier7995

You might like checking out Georges island, it was a ferry ride from south station or something. Cool revolutionary war fort you can walk around, fairly cheap as well. Its worth it to take one of the tours of historic rev war stuff around downtown, you can also just grab a map and follow the painted lines around yourself. Cambridge is cool to check out. The train can get you pretty much everywhere. Sam adams brewery was a good time.

Edit: its sort of a drinking town. There is good live music all the time. Been a while since i lived there, but the middle east in cambridge usually had good bands.

yardgrazer

Last time I checked Georges Island ferries leave from beside the Aquarium? Admittedly it has been many years since I actually looked, and now that I'm saying it, I also recall Boston Harbor Cruises having a dock at the Boston Harbor Hotel. That and the fort isn't Revolutionary War era, believe it's 19th century. Definitely used as a prison for Confederate POWs during the Civil War.

Plenty of good beer in Boston. Long time since it was just Sam's and Harpoon, what with Trillium, Aeronaut, etc. I think it's Aeronaut that has a beer garden on the greenway (the "big dig" park they built over the central artery, after they tore down the old elevated highway).

That said, haven't been to Philly in well over a decade, and I can't say I've spent that much time in Boston recently, but I suspect Philly might still be a better food town.

X

xavier7995

Well damn...you are right, not revolutionary war...aquarium sounds right as well. I blame the reefer for hazy recollections.

Latest posts

Latest posts