What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maine Indoor Grow

Levitationofme

I am going to help a friend set up a small grow indoors in the fine State of Maine. Keeping it simple and small scale.

What are the unique problems encountered up there?
Water Quality is that a big issue?

Just curious.

Planning on growing in Coco Coir, with LED in a Grow Tent.

:biggrin:

Hobby420

It would depend which part of Main... Water shouldn't be an issue in most of the state but, again, that would depend on which part. Inland, humidity can be a concern but nothing that can't be overcome. I am not far away (and inland) and run a dehumidifier on a humidistat in my grow room. It can also get hot during the summer so I run the lights on at night and dark cycle during the day which works great for temperature control. A lot of farming in Maine so access to growing supplies is a non-issue. Not sure what else I could add.
H420

RoostaPhish

Veteran
Water can be great in some locations 50ppm or so, others like where i am now can have hundreds of parts per million, with a shit ton of iron at my place. High humidity is an issue in warm months, and does a complete 180 in cold months. So dry that it wont register on hygrometers and will make your nose bleed. Powdery is common in humid areas in the summer time as well. And botrysis can be common in the fall. Both problems are usually only common in indoor grows if using air from outside that isn't properly filtered and controlled, or from contact contamination due to improper cleanliness.

Hobby420

....And botrysis can be common in the fall. Both problems are usually only common in indoor grows if using air from outside that isn't properly filtered and controlled, or from contact contamination due to improper cleanliness.

Great point ToostaPhish... I use a Filtrete™ Healthy Living Elite Allergen electrostatic filter with a Microparticle Performance Rating (MPR) of 2200 for my passive intake. It is 16x20 and works well with the 420cfm extraction fan. The air, particularly in the summer/fall time, can bring some nasty shite (biological contaminants/critters) into the grow room up north.

H420

Muleskinner

Veteran
For indoor growers the best thing you can do in New England is take the summer off. I always try to harvest my last plant in late May or early June. Then start seeds or clones in late August/September. This will protect you from 98% of bug exposure, and mold and PM as well. The indoor air is only humid in July and August.

this schedule also means that all your light energy and electricity costs go towards heating the house in the cooler months. After legalization it will make sense to grow inside in the cooler months and do an outdoor summer crop.

MurdaMishou

Temps cant be a problem when you're pulling air in from the outside during winter months. Water is fine, nothing you can't fix with some ph up or down