What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maine Caregiver's Liscense

DocCrow

I am moving back to Maine. I am considering getting set up as a caregiver. How difficult is it to get approved as a caregiver? How long does it take. I know how much $ it is. Is it hard to find patients? Just looking for some insight.

f64

Not sure the total expense involved but here in Maine it seems that in order to be designated as a legal cannabis caregiver it helps (in fact it may be required) to have been selected by a legal cannabis patient to fulfill that role for them. In fact, being selected by a patient to be their caregiver may be the singular initial requiring factor, besides, of course, the application fees and criminal background check.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
There was some kind of expo in Portland a month or two ago and apparently (I didnt go - didnt know about it - and I was in Portland that day - Arg!) DHS was there taking caretaker applications.

The guy I know who went, said there were lots of people looking for/wanting to become a caregiver.

I do believe its correct that you need to have someone who wants you to be their caregiver prior to applying.

coldcanna

Veteran
I haven't heard it being all that difficult to get the license, the one thing that DHHS is looking for would be drug related felonies on your record. It will prob take a month or 2 to have everything come back to you from the state, and from what I've been told by a few caregivers there are plenty of patients out there, if anything there's a shortage of caregivers. Google "maine caregivers" and it will come up with a couple trade organizations that help you find patients. I was told you do have to have 1 patient designate you to get the paperwork rolling, but when you fill it out you can buy all 5 tags and just find people later

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Just a few quick questions on the application process. You can send in the application with the patient slots empty and they won't process the paperwork until you have at least one patient? Or they will start the process but won't give you your license until you have at least one patient?

Would it be better to go to expos and find a patient first and then send in the application?

Just a few quick questions on the application process. You can send in the application with the patient slots empty and they won't process the paperwork until you have at least one patient? Or they will start the process but won't give you your license until you have at least one patient?

Would it be better to go to expos and find a patient first and then send in the application?
I've been visited, they check to see the slot registered and then they ask to see the designation forms. Yes they asked to see the designation forms with my patients names on them and yes they checked to see if they were valid. They seemed pretty thorough in their job. We have the patient sign the designation form then we send in the paperwork, they become valid when they recieve your paperwork. Dont forget your once a yr background check form and money. If a patient asks for his designation form back because he is going some place else then you must give it back and you have ten days to remove those plants or reassign them to another patient you put in that registered slot.

How difficult is it to find patients? I am wondering if the caregiver organizations really do help.

"They take yer money and give you a nightmare" " yes this guy was a nightmare" - anonymous caregiver friend.

lol, I know a few folks who made this step. Goodluck, you may make out that way. Lots of times you end up with a bad patient / caregiver relationship if you dont establish some sort of rules of your own at the beginning. We wont travel, they come to me. No you cant see the grow physically, you can see the inroom camera tho'. We're not open sundays! We're available for pickup from 9am-9pm everday but sunday. Tell patients you'll give them an ounce if they recommend another patient and that patient retains you as a caregiver for atleast one harvest. Quality speaks volumes, if you got the dank they will come. Word of mouth. My wife and I have a waiting list up to 7 patients now. I cant help them but other patients do I suppose... none of my biz. Keep your prices under $200 for killer dank and you'll be full in no time!

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
How do you guys feel about people advertising their caregiving services on craigslist? Seems a little..I don't know, sketchy? :dunno:

How do you guys feel about people advertising their caregiving services on craigslist? Seems a little..I don't know, sketchy? :dunno:

Yeah a little sketchy, but if you have quality it will advertise itself. We moved to a new area, got one patient.. word of mouth filled all our slots... >quality and price yer shit under $200. Any more than $200 bucks an ounce is "greed". Only greedy disagree.

Sure wish they would raise the number of patients we could grow for. Getting sick of saying no. They wont go anywhere else, just patiently wait on the list and call atleast once a week. I try referring them to other caregivers in the area to no avail.

to the orginal poster: you can actually have 5 patients, plus your "personal" six plants. when you register you can register as having NO patients. the background check is $31 dollars. so essentially you can be a non-growing caregiver for $31 and your personal certification is usually 200 bucks. (give or take). each patient you take on you must pay $240/year to the state and update your form. as a caregiver you can have your grow inspected and it must meet certain protocols. 6' fence, etc..