What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Illinois becomes the 11th state to legalize marijuana

G

After having sampled both California and Colorado's rec market, as well as Michigan medical offerings, I'm not even the least bit curious about travelling an hour south to overpay for their garbage.
Id just like to try what passes as dispensary quality as a benchmark of sorts to mine. There is a grand total of 4 people including wife and I who know and only a few more that have sampled my grow.
Where will southern locations be ?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the advice. I heard the potency limit is lower for out of state customers, so we are getting lower grade herb. Not sure if that is correct. I need to recheck the mpp article about the law.

amannamedtruth

Veteran
Id just like to try what passes as dispensary quality as a benchmark of sorts to mine. There is a grand total of 4 people including wife and I who know and only a few more that have sampled my grow.
Where will southern locations be ?

There is some alright stuff in the dispensaries. I got my card mostly to have cover for the smell of weed in case of something dire happen g and so I could purchase decent concentrates.

G

I do want to try some gummies that would alleged to of good quality. Tried a few black market ones that were shit.

AbbieDoobie

I’m currently vaping some Illinois medical Gelato. It’s fucking legit. Just picked up an oz of some bomb Skywalker. I’ve been in the program 3 years. There’s some good shit, just gotta know what’s what.

shithawk420

Veteran
I've tried some of the dispensary stuff but I was not impressed.joliet weed I think.i don't know.so what are the prices and what do I sell my " black market" stuff for? I was told it wasn't worth 300 an ounce but I see 20 dollar grams in dupage county of the same quality.im confused

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you can pick up O's on the black market of good weed for $160, us homegrowers kind of get the shaft.

shithawk420

Veteran
Yeah,I've seen O's going for that price and I see stuff going for more.so i guess it's safe to assume that unless your growing tons of weed there's no point in even selling.seems like every hipster came out of the woodwork selling Colorado weed.and has popped up and fucked us over.thingds are gonna be real different in IL.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
https://risecannabis.com/dispensary-location/illinois/effingham/

MEDICAL | RECREATIONAL DISPENSARY

Adult Use – RiSE, formally The Clinic Effingham, is a marijuana dispensary location open at 1101 Ford Ave in Effingham
IL, 62401.
RiSE dispensary menu products are available for adult recreational use for people 21 years of age and for Illinois MMJ Patients diagnosed with a Qualifying Condition that received an Illinois MedCard from a Certified MMJ Doctor.
Please enjoy products from this cannabis store responsibly!

Reviews

Website

RiSE Products

Rise, previously The Clinic Effingham, medical and recreational menu products have not been uploaded. Please contact us to add your menu and update your page.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hopefully they can mail it to me and I won't have to drive 2 hrs. Wanting to get Bubba Fett. Looks good!

How excited are you guys? Wonder if they have seed available for purchase. I don't see it on their website. Seed may only be available to medical patients, I would assume. :smoke:

Bubba Fett

Details
THC 32.72%
Effects: relaxed, pain relief, sleep aid, nighttime
Flavors: sweet, earth

Description
Bubba Fett (easily confused with the Boba Fett strain), appears to be an exclusive, Boulder, Colorado-bred, (many attest) fairly potent, (probably) not-ideal-for-lower-tolerance-consumers, calming and deeply contemplative, Indica-Dominant, sweet earth and Kush, evening hybrid mix of Pre-98 Bubba Kush and Stardawg said (by many) to (swiftly and ultimately) promote sleep.

LouDog420

Isn't it amazing how IL is able to grow other states' strains and end up with THC %'s 5-10% higher than everyone else. They must be doing something right with something special in that IL air ;) /s... Or the lab tests are full of shit, with only 2 labs, it's pay to play...

Expect $70-80/eighths of flower, but they probably won't even have any flower available for sale due to supply shortages. There's only 60k patients purchasing and they can't keep up with supply (only 21 cultivation licenses in the entire state, CO has over 1,500 and half the population). That doesn't factor in the potential 1 million purchasers in a week's time. Edibles and cartridges only will probably be all adult use menus. 500mg carts for $65-80. 100mg edible packages for $35+

It's a rip off, and you'll probably wait hours in line just for the privilege to purchase overpriced and mediocre gear. That's hoping they don't sell out before you get to the front. And they will sell out, either Jan 2nd, or Jan 6th. But wait for the news like it's a shock or something. Albeit, the carts are nice if you go Revolution, Ataraxia, or Cresco, and get the ones cut with real terps.

I'm privy to all wholesale purchasing for a dispensary in IL and know current med wholesale prices and quality. Add on the rec tax (anywhere from 10-25% plus local municipal of up to 6%, with general sales taxes, with 7% wholesale tax, you're looking at a 40%+ effective tax rate). Current wholesale price (not retail, wholesale), for medical is $24-30/eighth, so double that minimum for retail. With the same wholesale price, and you end up with that piece of shit program...

Seeds are only for med patients, and only 1 or 2 cultivators I know of plan to sell them at this time, and probably not until a couple months into the new year.

Last edited:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
With the demand you said is waiting to pounce, why is wholesale pricing expressed in 1/8 oz when they will probably be buying by the pack? Is it the old "street value" trick of saying it all could be sold by the 1/8th, so they get a higher number to tax?

LouDog420

When there's only 21 cultivators they get to write the rules. It's ridiculous ordering by the eighth or gram...

Want to purchase 10 lbs?? Great, use our order form and order 1,280 eighths...

They require prepack in IL, so that's part of the reason since they arrived packaged and sealed at retail stores by law, but mostly because no one in IL has any idea WTF they're doing...

We used to be able to order 10lbs at a time. Due to the shortages, lately we're not able to purchase any flower for weeks at a time, and when it does come in, it's sometimes less than a single patient's allotment (2.5 oz)... We'd gladly spend hundreds of thousands in cash money on legal flower, but it's simply not there, and almost all growers are vertically integrated, so of course they sell to themselves first.

When you look at why... GTI is partnered with PAX that is partly owned by a Pritzker. Revolution hired a lady with the last name Gingrich who is married to a house rep (Kelly Cassidy) that was the bill sponsor for adult use. And the rest of the cultivators threw money at the problem to push through specific wording that essentially gives the current growers a monopoly. With high wholesale prices, cultivators have been able to purchase 75%+ of the medical dispensaries, so they own the means of production and a large majority of retail stores. Due to 280E and the tax implications, they have an incentive to keep wholesale prices high and concentrate all profits on the production side of the operations and keep the dispensary at break even to lower their overall tax burden.

IL made it so there won't be any new licensed cultivators until 2021 (40 licensed in July 2020 then build out plus harvest time). And when they are licensed, they can only max out at 5ksf flower, increased in 3ksf increments up to an absolute maximum of 14ksf. The current cultivators can expand up to approximately 250ksf flower (no typo)... It's IL, it's corrupt, and the market is about to fall flat on its face. The same growers that can't supply the current medical purchasers (only 60,000) are the only ones that are going to be supply all of IL rec (approx 1 million) for ALL of 2020, and many of the medical growers aren't expanding or aren't even getting the license to sell rec, because its $750,000 to the state in fees before anything else.

It's a perfect storm of corruption, lack of free market, and price collusion all on the backs of medical patients. Very predatory... Black market will be thriving like never before though ;)

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When there's only 21 cultivators they get to write the rules. It's ridiculous ordering by the eighth or gram...

Want to purchase 10 lbs?? Great, use our order form and order 1,280 eighths...

They require prepack in IL, so that's part of the reason since they arrived packaged and sealed at retail stores by law, but mostly because no one in IL has any idea WTF they're doing...

We used to be able to order 10lbs at a time. Due to the shortages, lately we're not able to purchase any flower for weeks at a time, and when it does come in, it's sometimes less than a single patient's allotment (2.5 oz)... We'd gladly spend hundreds of thousands in cash money on legal flower, but it's simply not there, and almost all growers are vertically integrated, so of course they sell to themselves first.

When you look at why... GTI is partnered with PAX that is partly owned by a Pritzker. Revolution hired a lady with the last name Gingrich who is married to a house rep (Kelly Cassidy) that was the bill sponsor for adult use. And the rest of the cultivators threw money at the problem to push through specific wording that essentially gives the current growers a monopoly. With high wholesale prices, cultivators have been able to purchase 75%+ of the medical dispensaries, so they own the means of production and a large majority of retail stores. Due to 280E and the tax implications, they have an incentive to keep wholesale prices high and concentrate all profits on the production side of the operations and keep the dispensary at break even to lower their overall tax burden.

IL made it so there won't be any new licensed cultivators until 2021 (40 licensed in July 2020 then build out plus harvest time). And when they are licensed, they can only max out at 5ksf flower, increased in 3ksf increments up to an absolute maximum of 14ksf. The current cultivators can expand up to approximately 250ksf flower (no typo)... It's IL, it's corrupt, and the market is about to fall flat on its face. The same growers that can't supply the current medical purchasers (only 60,000) are the only ones that are going to be supply all of IL rec (approx 1 million) for ALL of 2020, and many of the medical growers aren't expanding or aren't even getting the license to sell rec, because its $750,000 to the state in fees before anything else.

It's a perfect storm of corruption, lack of free market, and price collusion all on the backs of medical patients. Very predatory... Black market will be thriving like never before though ;)
In other words, business as usual for the city of Chicago.

How many governors have gone to prison in the last 30 years? 5?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
And the consumers once again are the ones getting the break. They can say "this bag was bought legally" when caught in a car stop or something. Yeah, black market will thrive. I am not sure that the delivery services in SoCal aren't really black market guys acting all legal. I still get a text msg daily on specials one guy I used has. The buy was always at curbside using cash. About $5/gr bud, 25-40 /zip shake. The roadside dispensary closed.

I have a saying that I developed from hanging out here and seeing all the crap going down in this "industry":

Weed and greed do not mix.

IL is a broke corrupt state run by greedy politicians. State workers need to be worried about their pensions.

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws%20-%202019-12-26T094132.978.jpg

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws%20-%202019-12-26T094223.564.jpg

If you do have any assets the IL guv could tax, this might be a good time to move IMO. BTW, fed debt is a lot worse ($21 trillion divided by 350 million people, of which maybe 100 mil pay taxes), and then there is medicare/medicaid. That ads to the state debt a IL citizen "owes".

I bet there will be some nice pot farms down by Kankakee. Excellent soil in IL.

Last edited:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Decided to hold off for now and read about it on the news. I'm planning to go check out the dispensary in Effingham this summer when I go to the lake. Long lines and potential shortages make it not worth the 2 hour drive. Will have to wait.... Thankfully I have a Deep Chunk afghan based hybrid line called Sativa Candy Spice I have worked for 10 years praise God of Salvation! :smoke:

When you can pick up O's on the black market of good weed for $160, us homegrowers kind of get the shaft.

In some parts of Oregon right now yr lucky (maybe I have shitty friends) to get 100 an oz for living soil/no spray/bomb as fuck full term ripe flower, dried right, and cured in glass. It's an expensive hobby here basically. Whether a $30 oz is actually smokable here is irrelevant. Everybody sees the '$30-50' oz in the shop ads and thinks you should be thrilled to get a fucking 10 spot and an overwrought thank you. I guess you can make it work if you know ppl with money, but everybody I know here is broke as fuck and works three jobs. Growing in my town? You might as well start a band or a photography business and work for 'exposure' lol.

Last edited:

bigAl25

Veteran
How about a positive review on the Illinois rec market. They severely underestimated demand and have been out of any recreational product since January 2. Thrive in Harrisburg has restocked only edibles and vape carts. They handed out tickets with a 30 minute entry time to the rec line outside. We went in town and had a good lunch to kill time since we got there at noon. Returned on time and walked in for the screening process. Their prices are double what CA charges for vape carts ( $70 verses $35) that I obtained at Lake Tahoe just a few weeks ago. Their tax structure ended up being at least 30% on top of the retail price and they limited all rec buyers to only 3 total items in any combination. Very nice staff and building, but you will overpay right now . To buy safe vape carts, I'll pay the price and intend to bring back more of them on any Nevada or CA trips in the future. They had no flower for sale to rec customers. Give them a few months and maybe the supply will catch up with demand. Some medical strains showed 28 to 30 % THC on their web site. Two friends and I made it a road trip through the poor agriculture section of Southern Illinois. WE overpaid , but at 1 hr and 30 minutes we had a wonderful time and certainly overpaid for our ganja products. They need to lower their tax rate on rec, but that will come when other neighboring states start selling rec.

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whatever can be said about the IL programs, it doesn't even begin to scratch the surface and it's immeasurably worse.

Imagine $20MM facilities built from scratch that when they're not producing product nowhere near the quality of a first round of an ICMag newbie, they're losing entire rounds to PM/Mold, touting their "Blue Dream shake" 30% test results, which cultivation ownership has told me first hand is as simple as an extra couple hundred paid to the labs.

Now add on top white collar non industry financial groups that essentially have bought all of the cultivation centers and more than 50% of the dispo's. Then add on top the legislators responsible for the adult use bill essentially allowing the cultivators to write it, granting them an oligopoly, while both simultaneously producing "Demand Studies" that proclaimed a handful of cultivators with a footprint at the time of 260k sq. ft. were able to supply and service the 2nd largest adult use market in the U.S (120MM including tourism) for 2-4 years, despite shortages serving 50k medical patients. All while ignoring an actually extremely reputable and accurate study calling for 4-5MM sq. ft. flower, which of course now that it's passed and they have their oligopoly, now openly state the same findings as what is required. (De Souza, Tribune, 4MM sq. ft. +)

Add on top adult use sponsors receiving benefits up to and including family members obtaining 6 figure executive positions with the cultivators (Cassidy/Gingrich/Revolution), a Governor who's family has financial interests in one of the cultivator vendors (Pritzker/PAX), and cultivation management obtaining senior advisory positions in the administration.

Now throw on top adult use launch, and the cultivators essentially telling some dispo's "fuck off, we don't have to sell to you", while channeling their product to their own dispo's, despite all being clear violations of the rules and regs which their licenses are conditional upon. Then you have the lip service from legislators about "patient protections after Jan 1st" (but not the 6 months before......lol), all of which, again, are violations of the rules and regs (the law...) and zero discipline from any regulatory agencies essentially no matter what anyone does, anywhere, anytime, with regulators actually telling those dispensaries who complain of no product "There is no shortage, your mistaken, everything is fine", and then afterwards denying the conversations even took place.

Throw on top cultivators charging dispo's 30 8th wholesale (for 1 or 1,000), now even raising the prices for dispo's when they decide to offer a dispo a flower order of 10-40 grams when 10-20-30 lbs needed, but then appear in the media talking about their 271,000 transactions in 4-5-6 days which included the flower which they claimed did not exist for the past 6 months for patients. (Again, another violation subject to discipline according to the actual rules which don't seem to apply lol).....

Unfortunately......that would not even begin to scratch the surface.

A bigger group of scumbags I truly have never seen in my very long life, and I've seen am all :biglaugh: .....

Now you have additional licensing rounds which they initially fought being dominated by the very same stakeholders under the guise of "incubator programs for social equity applicants", with the very same groups submitting hundreds upon hundreds of apps using SE "strawman" situations.....and of course half the cultivators touting their 35-38% test results which are of course impossible to verify (in state) as there is no open industry and competition, and the other half stumbling around trying to sell their inferior products for $4,000lb wholesale. Because of course, they can simply "call it whatever they like and market it to the patients". Yes, every first time novice grower can do a run and put out 38% product :biglaugh: :smoke:.

That of course is the ones who are actually operational 5 years after licensing (Feb 2015), despite the actual law stating that is yet again more violations, as many facilities are still not producing 5 years later. (JGrown no production, IL Grown has 5k out of 95k, IGF 90k only 3k operational all these years, GTI 2nd site still down, Rev 2nd site sold to Ascend recently, and so on.....)

Still not even scratching the surface.

It has truly been the saddest thing to watch unfold, all the while as seriously ill patients have problems accessing even an 1/8th of flower in some cases, while everyone talks about "it will eventually be fine".

Bright side? That was the bright side :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts