What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California Wholesale Cannabis Prices

redlaser

Veteran
Knowing you’ve worked around dispensaries, would that be the legal or traditional market?

Good idea for a thread by the way.

Edit: mistook Babbabud for Mrs. Babba, reading comprehension isn’t always reliable.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems like it would be good to get wholesale prices of both markets. If we have some licensed California growers that would like to share what their wholesale prices are it would be great. Mainly just want to hear what the prices are from all around the state of California.

wwoww

The price went up over the last few years? In small norcal towns of mendo and sohum around this time I used to pay 800-900 for top outdoor or deps. This was in 16. Some local growers were desperate to get rid of stuff and do even lower sometimes.

sourD

2016 was a crazy year. Everyone went bigger than ever because prop 64 was supposed to kick in by 2017. So much weed was grown that, for the first time ever, the country almost could not smoke it all before the 2017 outdoor harvest.

I’m seeing 8-12 across nor cal

wwoww

2016 was a crazy year. Everyone went bigger than ever because prop 64 was supposed to kick in by 2017. So much weed was grown that, for the first time ever, the country almost could not smoke it all before the 2017 outdoor harvest.

I’m seeing 8-12 across nor cal
What towns are you by?

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Still 12-14 here , might see some change after xmas when things start to thin out.

need4weed

Veteran
For UK readers, can you explain these prices for what sort of weight you are referring to

thedudefresco

A simple way to eyeball price is to look at the average range of what outdoor ounces are going for at dispensaries.

Lets say an ounce of outdoor is priced "to go" at $120.00. This is what the dispensary wants to move it at but it can give us a rough clue as to what might have been the wholesale price since retail price markups in dispensaries tend to be about 2 to 2.5x and higher in my estimation.

$120.00 / 2.5 = $48.00 wholesale price per oz (multiply by 16 for pound price of $768)

Now Lets say the same dispensary also has sungrown outdoor varieties for sale at $200.00 per oz.

$200.00/2.5 = $80 per oz ($1280.00 per pound)

So you can guestimate a range of $800-$1300 for outdoor based off of these sample prices and ofc your mileage will vary based on how many dispensaries you research.

Indoor, depending on variety and clout, can often be 2-3x more expensive than outdoor

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Now Lets say the same dispensary also has sungrown outdoor varieties for sale at $200.00 per oz.

so some of the outdoor weed is not grown in the sun?? - or is some grown in full sun all day..

personally , i think outdoor gives something extra to the plant that is not duplicated by growing under lites...

thedudefresco

so some of the outdoor weed is not grown in the sun?? - or is some grown in full sun all day..

personally , i think outdoor gives something extra to the plant that is not duplicated by growing under lites...

I should have clarified that better. But, yeah - in my post I was using the terms "Sungrown" and "outdoor" interchangeably.

It used to be the case that there was outdoor and indoor bud.

Now,it is normal to also see a third category, "Greenhouse" which is exactly what it sounds like. Bud grown in a Greenhouse. Theoretically, this should be the best type of bud because you can use Sunlight and control climate....

But, in reality, “Greenhouse” bud is, generally, gonna be assumed to be between Indoor and Outdoor quality.

When it comes to branding, "Indoor" still sounds better than "Greenhouse", though; so, I am assuming that the toppest shelf “Greenhouse” Bud is being branded as "Indoor" to command a higher price.

While I suppose that, to some people, "Sungrown" could definitely mean "Greenhouse" or "Deps", I think that the vast majority of what is being branded and sold as "Sungrown" is regular ol' outdoor.

I have always considered "Sungrown" to be nothing more than a better way to brand “outdoor” bud in a market that is becoming more refined.

So yeah. Sungrown = Outdoor IMO.

Edit: some people consider “deps” the future. What they are referring to is greenhouse grown bud which is flowered “early” to utilize spring/summer sunlight intensity during peak trichome production.

This should be considered “indoor” tho ?when talking price point; because, the benefit from indoor is the cleanliness of the space and regularity of light. Bud grown in a greenhouse can be lit artificially when it is cloudy, and covered to force flower when sun rays are at their strongest.

Last edited:

wwoww

You are right.
I remember my outdoor would get pink pistils a lot of the time. The hps doesn't have the same uv Ray spectrum as the sun that allows the plant to grow the same way. The sun is the best source of light and they don't want us to use it because it's free.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
A grower here gave his indoor plants shorter days to bring out the reds in plants that don't show at 12/12.
Some of my stock goes red outdoors but not indoors. Outdoors it's down before the day drops to 12 hours though. Without going into a long story about different plots and weather conditions, it looks like the DLI could be responsible. The amount of light recieved during that day, not how long the light was actually switched on for.

Lyfespan

socal san berdo area, we need movement in the market, or at least i do. ins at 22 need to get gone