What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How does a person start a seed company in California?

Hempy McNoodle

Greetings All,

I have been wanting to start a small or microscale seed company in California, but have found it very difficult to find info pertaining to this topic. Can anyone help me to navigate the laws liscenses, regulations, etc and discuss some of the main challenges if any? Is it easy to do? Or, is it nearly impossible? Any experiences, thoughts, or insights are greatly appreciated. Thanks!:tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore
Owning a small seed shop would be cool. :)

1. A website is a must these days.

2. I imagine you'll get lots of emails over time. So unless you like replying in a timely fashion people will get upset.

3. Are these seeds you'll be selling be produced by yourself or do you plan on selling other breeders?

4. You may want to talk to breeders you like to find if you can sell their seeds and get discounts for purchasing from them.

5. Try to come up with an original business name.

I'm sure there's a bazillion other things to deal with like stupid business license, taxes,etc...

Good Luck

radioman

I'm not sure if you can yet legally sell seeds in the U.S. yet. You would have to use the U.S. Post Office & go by the USDA rules. Whenever I buy seeds in the mail - like vegetables or flowers - they are always "Regulated" with an official label... It's something that should be worked on in the Federal level. I live in Vermont - it is a legal state now - I should be legally able to buy (high THC) Cannabis Seeds from another Legal State. I know the Legal Hemp growers buy seeds from Oregon...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not sure if you can yet legally sell seeds in the U.S. yet. You would have to use the U.S. Post Office & go by the USDA rules. Whenever I buy seeds in the mail - like vegetables or flowers - they are always "Regulated" with an official label... It's something that should be worked on in the Federal level. I live in Vermont - it is a legal state now - I should be legally able to buy (high THC) Cannabis Seeds from another Legal State. I know the Legal Hemp growers buy seeds from Oregon...

We've been selling and mailing for well over a decade. Under the radar, yet plan for a website. Word-of-mouth, seed sites, a good reputation have helped us along the way. Prefer direct sales vs. seed banks taking 50% off the bat.

To do it legitimately, I'm not familiar with CA laws. NORML or small business groups could help pave a path.

Vandenberg

No customs when bought domestically

No customs when bought domestically

Mail order from u.s. Seed companies within U.S. Borders is definitely a thing :)
Technically, under U.S. Law,, due to the fact that there isn't any THC content in a cannabis seed, "Souvenir" genetic seed collecting is very technically legal. Definitely legal under California law.
One seed or a million seeds their isn't any thc content until sprouted.

Licensing in California as a producer is very complicated and very expensive.
Be prepared to write checks with lots of zeros on them, repeatedly, all day long, initially.
The environmental studies alone of where your secure growing facilities will be does get pricey real quick.
The money in this game, I speculate, is in supplying the emerging Hemp industry with the Genetics that will make them money.

Their was a site called Strain ly where many an independent Pollen Chucker were able to sell their souvenirs, as of this posting (09/2020) they are in the process of shutting down due to financial drain reasons (going broke) :). Other sites may arise, but currently Instagram has pollen chuckers galore from what I understand.
A ripoffs paradise potentially, no seller rating system over there.

Guaranteed disease free "Tissue Culture" Specimens is what is happening now for Commercial Mother Plant stock.

I don't mean to be a dreamstealer, but it takes more than dream to be able to accomplish this legally.
If your rich already, Good Luck and carry on.:)
Many rich people have invested in various Cannabis enterprises only too find out that ship has sailed already and they now find themselves broke. That and throw in a few yearly apocalypse's just to make it interesting and your having fun now. ;) :(
The manufacturing of value added products seem to be a successful strategy for many.

I know of some medical Grower friends, in a soon to be legal state, who are growing automatic seeds to give away in the retirement communities of the state, so as to have the Seniors plant the new Meds in their Vegetable gardens right next to the Peas and Corn.

As it turns out, a lot of these Old fart, fuddy duddies were certified Hippies back in the day and still know what to do with a pack of ZigZags, given the opportunity.

Happy gardening,
Vandenberg :)

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
60% of my customers come from mobile devices. So a reactive site is needed. At least. Honestly, a site and a mobile app is best. My 21 year old son and his buddies won't buy anything unless it's through an app. And that means 2 apps (Android and iOS)

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
in Cali to meet state regs you need a cannabis nursery license to make and market seeds into the medical or recreational regulated market.

i have not seen any seeds for sale in licensed stores yet, just clones.

USA black market seeds are not legal at all, just tolerated in a time when the USPS is the biggest mover of black market herb from west to east.

don't kid yourself that calling it a novelty or birdseed makes it legal, if there was big money to confiscate they would be chasing it.

ten years ago Marc got 5 years here for seeds...
Canada's 'prince of pot' gets five years in U.S. prison
https://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/10/marc.emery.sentencing/index.html

Oregon is pretty cheap to get licensed but the market there can't be good for selling them legally, i'd imagine...

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's easy. Just wait til your plants herm, then announce to the world that your dad invented OGkush on a Pacific island, steal some pictures off the internet, and start a website.

rolandomota

Veteran
Not much I think just make seeds and vend them as anything just not for growing the seed seller has that covered with agreement upon purchase of seeds for not growing HA! it's that simple

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's easy. Just wait til your plants herm, then announce to the world that your dad invented OGkush on a Pacific island, steal some pictures off the internet, and start a website.

Haven't heard that story.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Reputation has something to do with it, too.....recall a few breeders on SeedBay selling subpar seeds back in 2012-2015.

120Octane

your mode

A. Be illegal, try to splash yourself around, seems tried and true, that is dollar or 2 a bean and prey one day you stuble over something you cannot capitilize on...Let's be real about it and honest...

Do you think any of the known breeders are going to support you when your taking money from them?

B. Legal...Drop a couple million in a nuresery license, grab some hype bullshit and sell cuts so you can survive as you work your projects...

I hear taking money and starting a rap label up, rent everything like studio time, women, jewlry, a house and cars and few pairs on nike's can do well. Come out with the next bullshit cookie cross, pound down events nation wide so you can sell gear is the tried and true...

In other words, the odds of doing it and being successfull are beyound the right of the decimal point...

Take it for what its worth, you would be better off buying a McDonalds franchise than you are being a successful breeder....

Not throwing shade at anyone...It is obvious you donot history, you do not know how or why things are this way today....If you do not know history then how do you plan on being a success...promise you every cheap shady shitty broke dick way has been done...and how many breeders are there really today? Damn few worth there weight, 95% are just like a certian breeder that is retiring? Why because everything he sold was actually stolen and now he is out of seeds...He cannnot breed does not know how....

Look at it not canna...how many thousands of people a year want to work for a race team, but the chances are so slim its damn near unobtanium...weed isway worse now everyone is involved, do not do research and think splashing 2 wads of bullshit makes gold...

I am saying be real about it...stay off the emotional high you are better...you are not and look at 95%ofcanna with a fish hook in its cheek cause some nut job claims super soil works the agranomiics shows it is just to dense and ratio's are garbage...man does it sell dreams of failures....you have to be smarter and more capable....its not juans lawn mowing service after all ..

Hempy McNoodle

Wow, I forgot all about this thread. So many great comments and lots of good info shared. Thanks everyone! Well, since I'm poor, I guess my best bet would be to just sit on a busy sidewalk with a sign that says: Cannabis Seeds $1ea... Instagram sounds like an okay option too, I guess (not for me, maybe). I mostly want to sell landrace reproductions. So, probably best to not go commercial (especially if I'm just reproducing something purchased from another vendor such as The Real Seed Co or Tropical Seeds Co). I want to keep the sacred genetics alive and spread the joy and maybe put some food in my belly or pay for the cost of growing at least. Fuck the commercial scale economic lock-out bullshit! Weed is getting crappier and crappier at the dispensaries.

What are the ethical considerations of selling landrace reproductions (non-commercially) that were obtained from another breeder? I've seen someone auctioning a thai reproduction that was from The real seed co's seed stock. I feel that if a person is open and honest and gives credit, it should be okay, right? I'm interested in what peoples thoughts are on that. I reproduced the Sinai strain for instance. Would it be wrong to sell them for $1ea on the sidewalk? Or, advertised on a telephone poll flyer??