What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What happened to that sticky dank stuff?

I'm around northern/central California.

I swear the best herb I smoked was back around 2005 to 2010-ish ("black market").

I'm not saying I don't come across some impressive stuff from time to time these days...

....but back around then everything I came across was consistently dank and quality. It seemed like top notch quality stuff was more widespread back around then.

Back then I remember the herb actually being sticky and gooey. It had super loud aroma, and the flavor was very pronounced and lasted through a bowl and down to the roach of a joint.

I remember getting strains like Jack Herer, Afgoo, Allen Wrench, Kali Mist, Master Kush, Silver Haze, Purple Urkle, Sensi Star, Trainwreck, White Rhino, God's Gift, OGK....

...Lots of others but those are some of what comes to my mind at the moment. I just remember the aromas and flavors being so much more rich & "wholesome" than most of the stuff I cross paths with these days.

Maybe most of the herb I was getting back then was coming from just a few growers in the area that had their grows dialed in...?...Maybe the few people I get "black market" weed from these days just don't buy from quality sources?...I haven't been all that impressed with stuff in weed store's either, some of it is "decent"/average.

But back in my early days of smoking, back around 2005 to 2010, I just remember such crazy loud smells, such rich flavors, and I remember the herb actually being STICKY back then...I rarely ever come across herb these days that's actually sticky (unless I grow it myself).

And it was everywhere...it didn't matter who's weed I was smoking, seemed like super fuego stuff was everywhere back then.

But I do remember it being much more expensive...probably because I was young and a small time buyer back then, just getting dimes & dubs & 8ths lol...But I remember dubs for me were only like 1.2g back then, it was super dank stuff tho.

Is it just me or was top notch quality stuff more wide spread around nor-cal back then?

Just rambling and sounding like an ol' head, "back in my day....." lol.

fvasquez

Prop 64 killed good dispensary weed, IMO. Everything in the dispensaries is dry, most likely from the testing and regulations that are required now. You can still get lucky if you grab something that just got put on the shelf, but if you don't smoke it all in a day or two it will very quickly lose its bag appeal (and in my experience, a bit of potency as well).

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
It was new to you back then, so everything was as good as or better than anything that came before. Now its old hat, and you're looking to be impressed still. Its all just weed. Find what you like and stay in that area of the spectrum and you'll stay satisfied, but if you're never happy till you get something that's better than you've ever had before, its going to be hard for you to stay happy for long.

soil margin

Veteran
You got a lot more mediocre weed being grown, without much more super dank stuff being grown. So now you’ve gotta swim through oceans of commercial grade herb before occasionally finding some of the best stuff.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I'm around northern/central California.

I swear the best herb I smoked was back around 2005 to 2010-ish ("black market").

I'm not saying I don't come across some impressive stuff from time to time these days...

....but back around then everything I came across was consistently dank and quality. It seemed like top notch quality stuff was more widespread back around then.

Back then I remember the herb actually being sticky and gooey. It had super loud aroma, and the flavor was very pronounced and lasted through a bowl and down to the roach of a joint.

I remember getting strains like Jack Herer, Afgoo, Allen Wrench, Kali Mist, Master Kush, Silver Haze, Purple Urkle, Sensi Star, Trainwreck, White Rhino, God's Gift, OGK....

...Lots of others but those are some of what comes to my mind at the moment. I just remember the aromas and flavors being so much more rich & "wholesome" than most of the stuff I cross paths with these days.

Maybe most of the herb I was getting back then was coming from just a few growers in the area that had their grows dialed in...?...Maybe the few people I get "black market" weed from these days just don't buy from quality sources?...I haven't been all that impressed with stuff in weed store's either, some of it is "decent"/average.

But back in my early days of smoking, back around 2005 to 2010, I just remember such crazy loud smells, such rich flavors, and I remember the herb actually being STICKY back then...I rarely ever come across herb these days that's actually sticky (unless I grow it myself).

And it was everywhere...it didn't matter who's weed I was smoking, seemed like super fuego stuff was everywhere back then.

But I do remember it being much more expensive...probably because I was young and a small time buyer back then, just getting dimes & dubs & 8ths lol...But I remember dubs for me were only like 1.2g back then, it was super dank stuff tho.

Is it just me or was top notch quality stuff more wide spread around nor-cal back then?

Just rambling and sounding like an ol' head, "back in my day....." lol.

When THC testing got popular in 09-10 many of my Faves stopped showing up on shelves as medical growers dropped them for strains with better numbers.

the other problem was strains like the original OGK got dumped for S1's and crosses that yielded more or had better numbers in spite of the effects suffering.

I'll add to your list, in 10 -11 I stopped seeing some faves like Snowcap, Grapefruit, Dutch Crunch, Pineapple Trainwreck, Salmon Creek, Redwood Kush...

back in the days before you could get a THC test we all selected for shit like great effects, great nose, sticky resin, pretty colors but now THC percentage and Hi terp numbers sell the weed in the stores.

it will get even worse now that you can't smell before you buy.

I still think there's plenty of great strains being found that satisfy me but I do miss them oldies.

my cali med card ran out in '13 and I'm due for a return trip but all I want from there now are copies of that old gear.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
back in the days before you could get a THC test we all selected for shit like great effects, great nose, sticky resin, pretty colors but now THC percentage and Hi terp numbers sell the weed in the stores.

Totally correct. Blind testing of cannabis strains shows people select the lower THC, higher terpene content, cannabis. It's also unfortunate that choosing the lower THC dispensary selections has zero guarantee of higher terpene production/retention. :( Very good point!

When one gram of your owngrown overpowers all the smells in a dispensary (in minutes), you know there's something wrong. There has been a lot of 'bland' strain creation going on. I assure you though, you'd likely enjoy just about every strain a dispensary has to offer. Unfortunately, about the only way to find out would be to properly grow it.

Overfed, wrong environment, sprayed during flower, harvested early, handled poorly, only prohibition and ignorance can keep it running.

:tiphat:

MedResearcher

Veteran
Harder, slower, to trim sticky canna. Now days everyone is in a rush, to push volume. So they dry super fast, extra dry, then trim the hell out of it and bag it up.

As long as its dense as hell, trimmed to the bone, and flavor of the month the masses eat it up.

Slow cure, sticky icky... thing of the past sadly.

Mr^^

Mr. J

It's all been machine trimmed. The sticky all got stuck in the machine. It's awful, really.

sshz

I've been saying this for years and years and when i do, people jump right the f*ck down my throat.........weed in the 80's was way better than most anything available now. As a 30+ year grower and 40+ year smoker, breeding today comes down to sales and they care little about quality. Back then breeders really put in the work to do what was necessary to work for high quality stuff- today, they say they care and then take a strain out 1 generation and start selling untested seeds. LOL

People do not realize it's not about how high of THC level you can reach......top strains back then were in the low 20% and were all around better than days stuff. There are exceptions of course, but they are rare and almost impossible to secure.

Nevil was a breeding god (and had the contacts to purchase the best breeding material anywhere on the planet).

Douglas.Curtis

I've been saying this for years and years and when i do, people jump right the f*ck down my throat.........weed in the 80's was way better than most anything available now.
In my memory yes, the terpene and cannabinoid profiles were much more complex. The 'quality' of the cannabis was still poor, at least in comparison to what is possible.

Commercial cannabis quality is even lower quality than most black market quality. On the black market, price is determined by quality. When the quality is low, people complain and pay less. Too low of quality and they choose another dealer.

In a dispensary, the price difference between top shelf (garbage) and lower shelf (garbage) is only a few dollars. If you complain, they show you the door. Most people are limited in the number of dispensaries they can use, so the business model works for them.

Ultimately, I blame the destruction of cannabis quality on the huge influx of cash cropper grow information now available. Super CO2, overfed, under/over mature, stressed plants, grown in hot wet conditions. Almost any cannabis strain is still sticky dank, when grown correctly. ;)

MindEater

Breeding/growing volatile low Brix high Thc terpene-centric Cannabis. Growing for terpenes, which don't have flavor or cb activity, instead of sugars alcohols, acids and other [sticky] substances that do. Growing for thc, which was never the high of Cannabis, until breeders with thc test strips completely fucked the gene pool.

Cotton mouth is no longer a given. Not every strain has a "basic hash flavor" when grown and dried poorly, like they used to. Today's genetics 90% suck, today's growers 95%

Thc, a break down product, overtook endocannabinoid-stimulating esters and thiols, and cbg. Because more thc make da weed better, says da government, and big pharma. Hurray for science. The biggest most easy to identify piece of the puzzle = the entire picture. Yeah boy, fucking science rocks, can we get a round of applause for corporate propaganda? More Marinol please!

Now cbn is overtaking thc, marketed as cbd or indica or what ever buzzword is on the television news story, I'm not sure they have as tight a grasp on the bullshit marketing of shitty weed as they think. Eventually someone is gonna ask "hey what's the difference between that indica and this sativa, dem Cannabinoids and turps is da sames numbers!"

Not to mention people are fucking stupid. Smelled a clean UK cheese in a dispo and the budtender thought it was moldy or something. Then smelled a tropical strain that smelled exactly like Serenade, and oh buddy it's fucking dank!

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Perhaps folks tumbling their nugs has something to do with it?

THIS!!!!

I walked into a. Collective up the street.... I said I was only looking for clones and seeds....

The girl said no...

About 2 min later some other girls began taking the lower and mids and began tumbling the jars right in Front of me...

I went over to the keif jars they were making and got my first patient discount for an 8 dollar gram of kief.

Douglas.Curtis

About 2 min later some other girls began taking the lower and mids and began tumbling the jars right in Front of me...
Shaking jars. What a sad scene, and such an instant show of 'low quality' cannabis.

There's ZERO point in shaking my jars. The cannabis is so sticky, all the flowers get stuck together and don't shake apart.

Ready4

Veteran
Dispensaries are very lame. The loud sticky gooey buds you used to get were very recently harvested and not completely dried out & cured. I give some to woman I know who spokes it with her 2 adult age daughters - they asked me why what I gave them got them so much higher - they said it was not loud/stinky - I told them it has been curing for many months and it has more strong sativa than the "picked too early, dried too quick" "black market bud" they get. lol

Douglas.Curtis

Even after a year, your jars should still be loud and stinky. Break one of the flowers and it should be almost like harvest day again.

What RH are your jars for storage? 55-60RH?