What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California! Tax greed driving black market

OregonBorn

LOS ANGELES (AP) — California is increasing business tax rates on legal marijuana, a move that stunned struggling companies that have been pleading with the state to do just the opposite. Hefty marijuana taxes that can approach 50 percent in some communities have been blamed for pushing shoppers into California’s tax-free illegal market, which is thriving. Industry analysts estimate that $3 are spent in the illegal market for every $1 in the legal one.

The California Cannabis Industry Association said in a statement that its members are “stunned and outraged.” The group said the higher taxes that will take effect Jan. 1 will make it even worse for a legal industry struggling under the weight of heavy regulation and fees, local bans on pot sales and growing and a booming underground marketplace. “Widening the price ... gap between illicit and regulated products will further drive consumers to the illicit market at a time when illicit products are demonstrably putting people’s lives at risk,” the group said, referring to the national vaping health crisis. Los Angeles dispensary owner Jerred Kiloh, who heads the United Cannabis Business Association, said the increased levies added to the heavily taxed market “seems like a slap in the face.”

The changes involve taxes paid by legal businesses, which ultimately get passed along to consumers at the retail counter. Josh Drayton of the cannabis association predicted that an eighth-ounce purchase of marijuana buds, typically priced around $40 to $45, would be pushed up to $50 or more in the new year. For consumers, “ultimately, they’ll feel that at the register,” Drayton said. A major change involves what’s known as the mark-up rate, which is used when calculating taxes in certain business transactions, such as when a retailer purchases wholesale cannabis that will in turn be sold to consumers. The mark-up rate is being pushed up over 30 percent from its current mark.

Casey Wells, a spokesman for the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration, said in a statement that the new rate was determined after the agency analyzed thousands of transactions in California’s computerized marijuana-tracking system. Separately, cultivation tax rates are being increased by inflation, as required by law. For example, the tax on an ounce of dry buds will climb to $9.65 from $9.25, an increase of just over 4 percent. Last week, the state’s top cannabis regulator, Lori Ajax, told an industry conference that the legal marketplace can expect more strain and turbulence for at least a couple of years as it deals with sustained competition from illegal sales, industry layoffs and fallout from a national vaping crisis. California Assemblyman Rob Bonta said in a statement that the state should be cutting marijuana taxes to encourage more businesses to move into the regulated market. “This short-sighted move ignores the realities that licensed businesses are at the breaking point, with many struggling to survive,” the Oakland Democrat said.

The above is from:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/california-boosts-pot-taxes-shocking-205620449.html

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Time them fuckers stood up to guberment and closed shop. Not about to happen I know but continual bitching about the situation doesn't get anything done. Besides who really gives a hoot about CA? (in general)

soil margin

Veteran
Just keep raising the tax rate until 99.9% of cannabis consumers are using the black market. Once they start getting 0 tax revenue, they will start to remember that you can only be so greedy before you kill the golden goose.

OregonBorn

You can still grow 6 rec weed plants, but many counties in California have banned growing outdoors. Monterey Co. tried to require a fee permit to grow rec weed, but that was tossed out. So they banned outdoor personal rec weed growing. Riverside Co. passed a law banning all growing of weed, but that was/is superseded by the state law allowing personal grows. Some counties there have also added restrictions, like no CO2 use indoors, or no light use that can be seen from outside your residence. The wording of many of the grow laws are really ambiguous. The laws also keep changing there.

OregonBorn

And, not to be outdone, the House Judiciary Committee this week passed the MORE Act. The Marijuana Opportunity, Reinvestment and Expungement Act would remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act, require the federal courts to expunge federal marijuana charges and convictions, and[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] e[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]stablish a 5% federal tax on Cannabis and Cannabis products.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So tax the marijuana tax!
[/FONT]

EsterEssence

Veteran
As I said in the other thread prop 64 allows cities to opt out of having dispensary’s in their city, which many have, So if you can’t find a dispensary near you and there is black market cannabis right down the street, that is also cheaper where are people going to go...

right

Check out this Queen of dragons reciept 75 $ oz i spent$125 Ended up paying $142 after taxes city and state

Attachments

• IMG 4253
    IMG 4253
    72.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 15747859552761813968874.jpg
    15747859552761813968874.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 100

redlaser

Veteran
You can still grow 6 rec weed plants, but many counties in California have banned growing outdoors. Monterey Co. tried to require a fee permit to grow rec weed, but that was tossed out. So they banned outdoor personal rec weed growing. Riverside Co. passed a law banning all growing of weed, but that was/is superseded by the state law allowing personal grows. Some counties there have also added restrictions, like no CO2 use indoors, or no light use that can be seen from outside your residence. The wording of many of the grow laws are really ambiguous. The laws also keep changing there.
Most counties ban any outdoor growing, even for the personal six plants. Supposedly they cannot ban you from growing them indoors, but landlords can forbid it. Cannot be in a “living” space. No bedrooms or bathroom or kitchens. Basically can only be done in a garage or detached building that is all up to code for all systems needed for the grow.
More taxes are hard to justify on an overtaxed program, people that aren’t rich cannot afford the current legal setup.

A lot of county supervisors don’t have a clue about cannabis, much less how to implement a new licensing system. I’ve gone to a few supervisor meetings, and have a friend who attends all of them. He is actually trying to educate the receptive ones, and seems like he has made some progress in that area. Has actually had a couple out to his place to show his grow to, kind of de-stigmatize it for them.

He also grows a few large plants outside, in full sun, despite an outdoor ban w/o a license. And he tells the supervisors that he’s doing it. He’s doing it out of principle, but also knows there are thousands of bigger fish that will likely be visited before he is.

It’s still a calculated gamble, especially since another local grower was almost as equally outspoken, and sheriff went to his place and cleaned him out of hundreds of plants and pounds.
No charges because he had the medical paperwork to support it a few years back, just fucking robbed him.

MedFaced

Check out this Queen of dragons reciept 75 $ oz i spent$125 Ended up paying $142 after taxes city and state

That’s not too bad. I see a couple grams of concentrate there as well. What is the quality like for both?

right

Concentrates where fire , and the weed was really good , it's just that the flower looked ugly .
I'm only complaining about the taxes. I was 215 for years and I have a hard time justifying tax for meds.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Shit, that's only about 12%. Average price per oz in Ohio.... $538.00 Mostly tax. A grower here must pay $200,000.00 PER YEAR in tax (license fee) to grow.

Black market is flourishing here and the dispensaries are empty.

Greed is the worst sin. Lust is my favorite. :)

right

I just picked this one up out here in the 'high desert '$100

Attachments

• 20191126_193533.jpg
    20191126_193533.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 83

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Last time I was down in the IE the little pot shop had closed. Delivery is where it is at there now. Got a guy on speed dial who is always texting out specials and deals.

Not sure how the quality is regarding chems and pesticides on the flowers. No real labeling besides a claim on strain name.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Last time I was down in the IE the little pot shop had closed. Delivery is where it is at there now. Got a guy on speed dial who is always texting out specials and deals.

Not sure how the quality is regarding chems and pesticides on the flowers. No real labeling besides a claim on strain name.

last time i was in san diego, i drove to a pot store...closed, then a 2nd..closed, n a 3rd...closed... finally ordered from eaze n it was delivered in 45mins (what a great country)... bought '3' eights, n some pre-rolled... it was good weed... def not great... on a par with the stuff we grow... in that respect, a bit disappointing... always looking for wacky-weed

MedFaced

Concentrates where fire , and the weed was really good , it's just that the flower looked ugly .
I'm only complaining about the taxes. I was 215 for years and I have a hard time justifying tax for meds.

Been 215 since 06ish. Taxes suck. It’s weird getting used to.

I just picked this one up out here in the 'high desert '$100

Nice! That a delivery service? Lots of relatives in Morongo and they seem to do really well out that ways.

right

Been 215 since 06ish. Taxes suck. It’s weird getting used to.

Nice! That a delivery service? Lots of relatives in Morongo and they seem to do really well out that ways.

That's one of the local deliverys .$100 and that's including the taxes.
I was 215 since 07 or 08 , got it through a doc in McKinley Ville.
I just don't see the point now.