What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trimming season in California and how to join

DavideRF

Hi everybody,

Some days ago, i was talking with someone and he told me a story about a trimming job in California. It was a very intersting story and while we was smoking a joint, he said to me he gain 12000$ in 2 months trimming weed.

Firts question is: Is it legal? He says yes but sound strange
Then, How to join?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
It helps if you are a girl.

And if you are asked to dig a body sized hole in the middle of nowhere please think twice.

Badfishy1

How to join...
hitch hike down freeway
Lock your hair
Don’t shower
Share EVERYTHING you own including your lady
Buy a tent
Steal beer from local quicky mart
Eat granola 8x/day
After that you should be good to go

theJointedOne

Veteran
Hi everybody,

Some days ago, i was talking with someone and he told me a story about a trimming job in California. It was a very intersting story and while we was smoking a joint, he said to me he gain 12000$ in 2 months trimming weed.

Firts question is: Is it legal? He says yes but sound strange
Then, How to join?

Ask your friend if you can tag along this season.

We used to use strictly EU trimmers on our farm in mendo. Women and men, it was such a great time. For many of them it was their first time being in the US, and usually they had come into the states during the night, and driven up to the farm in the dark as well, so their first morning sunrise in the usa was in the backhills of norcal on a giant ganja farm...

it isnt always this nice,, and the work is tedious at best, really tough at worst. Conditions for living can range from very comfy to really harsh..so be prepared. Price per pound these days is $100-200 a pound trimmed.

Dont act like you know it all, work hard, and offer to help on other projects if needed, i know many many trimmers who ended up taking on other full time jobs here as farmers and farm managers ect.

good luck

DavideRF

Ask your friend if you can tag along this season.

We used to use strictly EU trimmers on our farm in mendo. Women and men, it was such a great time. For many of them it was their first time being in the US, and usually they had come into the states during the night, and driven up to the farm in the dark as well, so their first morning sunrise in the usa was in the backhills of norcal on a giant ganja farm...

it isnt always this nice,, and the work is tedious at best, really tough at worst. Conditions for living can range from very comfy to really harsh..so be prepared. Price per pound these days is $100-200 a pound trimmed.

Dont act like you know it all, work hard, and offer to help on other projects if needed, i know many many trimmers who ended up taking on other full time jobs here as farmers and farm managers ect.

good luck

Hi theJointedOne,

Thanks for the reply. Meanwhile, i've heard other stories about just you said, and i should have understood the life style for this job, but i still don't find a trusted contact. Do you have some advice to find this jobs?

Thanks

Dave

theJointedOne

Veteran
It is not really a job giving to someone with no connections. Most people that are hired are friends of friends ECT. Many many people travel here in search of trim work without any connections, usually they end up on the streets asking for work from strangers who won't hire them

DavideRF

It is not really a job giving to someone with no connections. Most people that are hired are friends of friends ECT. Many many people travel here in search of trim work without any connections, usually they end up on the streets asking for work from strangers who won't hire them

That's the reason because i'm here. Perhaps i could find someone here, at least i hope. You told "our farm in mendo", what are you talking about? and than, i don't even have idea for the weather in whole Cali, the harvest time it's the same either in north and south Cali?
I know, my english is not so good, sorry :D

theJointedOne

Veteran
I'm not going to lie to you, I ended up getting a pretty amazing job through icmag. But only because I knew a guy who knew a guy Etc you know what I mean?

My recommendation is to contact Farmers directly through private message, your chances are extremely slim to none, but not impossible. Without knowing anyone already there you really have no chance of coming over here.

The weather in Northern California this time of year ranges from crappy to beautiful. In the Emerald Triangle especially it can be wet as hell 4 days in a row, or dry and lovely until Thanksgiving which is at the end of November period after that be prepared to wear rain slicks wool socks muddy boots Etc. Not to say it's always wet but along the coast especially winter time in NorCal Ain't Easy.

LadyGuru

I would also do a Google search: California cannabis trim companies.

There are a good amount of companies that have started up here in Cali. I have seen several used on other farms in the area. I think you chances will be much higher contacting those guys, as appose to farms.

Good luck.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I would also do a Google search: California cannabis trim companies.

There are a good amount of companies that have started up here in Cali. I have seen several used on other farms in the area. I think you chances will be much higher contacting those guys, as appose to farms.

Good luck.

Unlikely they hire out of country workers unless they have proper work permits/visa/ect

If you knew whats up bro youd know all the eu trimmers in the triangle 99% of them get tourist not work visas. Much easier to grab a job with a real ganja farm if you are just cruising through the country than some corporate slackky company gonna make you fill out a w2 lol

LadyGuru

Unlikely they hire out of country workers unless they have proper work permits/visa/ect

If you knew whats up bro youd know all the eu trimmers in the triangle 99% of them get tourist not work visas. Much easier to grab a job with a real ganja farm if you are just cruising through the country than some corporate slackky company gonna make you fill out a w2 lol

yea, what you describe is the old paradigm. Most people want to be able to buy a house, buy a car, gain credit. The only way to do that is to join the legal work force. I can only imagine being an out of country trimmer, and how you would be treated. Many horror stories of people closing trimmers in semi trailers for a week, locked from the outside. Good luck on getting paid also.

I know their are programs for out of country Ag workers to get visa's, and they take care of the taxes for you. Lots of farmers have been using this network for decades. :tiphat: Cannabis farmers are just now figuring it out. Very cheap labor.

theJointedOne

Veteran
yea, what you describe is the old paradigm. Most people want to be able to buy a house, buy a car, gain credit. The only way to do that is to join the legal work force. I can only imagine being an out of country trimmer, and how you would be treated. Many horror stories of people closing trimmers in semi trailers for a week, locked from the outside. Good luck on getting paid also.

I know their are programs for out of country Ag workers to get visa's, and they take care of the taxes for you. Lots of farmers have been using this network for decades. :tiphat: Cannabis farmers are just now figuring it out. Very cheap labor.

Well i prefer to pay fair, not cheap. I know some asshole who i wont mention who has large following on ig, used to be an asshole around here...anyway he pays his labor min wage..MIN WAGE!! what a douche you know?

Some fkin asshole neighbor of mine yesterday braggin how he only have to pay to Mexican dudes 15 bucks an hour for BOTH to work on his new 200k pool setup..so sad

And you talk about horror stories..imagine getting paid min wage to sit and trim and not be provided housing, food, all the organic chron you could smoke, laughs, good times, swimming holes, bbq's after work, halloween parties, thanksgiving parties, xmas parties...We had the time of our lives on those hills during those years, and the trimmers happily came back every year, some even married and stayed. Everyone made good money, some made great, all made enough to do what they wanted for the year...travel, invest, give..ect....had to be there i guess..it was real

Most EU trimmers I know just showed up and hung out at the gas station or coffee shop and begged for work but that was a few years ago. Ever since then, they have work lined up before they get here. They work hard then travel the rest of the world for 9 months. There are definitely still people rolling into town looking for work and I think they find it because I never see them standing around at the gas station for more than a day. And ya, they are on tourist visas.

I think seasonal labor visas have gotten tough for any business to get these days but I’m pretty sure cannabis workers in Cali must be 21 and California residents. Its crazy to think a trimmer at a licensed farm is going to buy a house with their meager wages. New paradigm? New Group of “working poor”.

DavideRF

If i want to travel there to try, which is the best time for the harvest? It s always tge same in the entire California?

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
If i want to travel there to try, which is the best time for the harvest? It s always tge same in the entire California?

Go now

Go to Garberville and start there

You'll learn from trimmers you meet what the going rate is and the people you don't want to work for

LadyGuru

Well i prefer to pay fair, not cheap. I know some asshole who i wont mention who has large following on ig, used to be an asshole around here...anyway he pays his labor min wage..MIN WAGE!! what a douche you know?

Some fkin asshole neighbor of mine yesterday braggin how he only have to pay to Mexican dudes 15 bucks an hour for BOTH to work on his new 200k pool setup..so sad

And you talk about horror stories..imagine getting paid min wage to sit and trim and not be provided housing, food, all the organic chron you could smoke, laughs, good times, swimming holes, bbq's after work, halloween parties, thanksgiving parties, xmas parties...We had the time of our lives on those hills during those years, and the trimmers happily came back every year, some even married and stayed. Everyone made good money, some made great, all made enough to do what they wanted for the year...travel, invest, give..ect....had to be there i guess..it was real

Warning to the OP

Anybody promises you the above, proceed with caution...... If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. :tiphat: