What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
the inflationary nature of regulatory cost increases in a "legal" market are not at the producers discretion...

Agreed. Whether you wish to serve the high end market, not so much.

the fallacy herein is the comparison to produce.
let me know how high you get off of cukes ;)
Exactly my point. You place extraneous parameters on a comparison, effectively making it [your] fallacy.

Compare weed to whatever you want. The black market aspect retains higher pricing until virtual capitalism supply-and-demand does the opposite.

TheOutlawTree

Its funny cuz the same people that bitch about falling prices are the ones scrambling to produce as much half ass shit as they can, freaking out about money, so they chop early without flushing. This very behavior is what continually lowers the price. I don't care how broke you are, you should still be trying to produce the best product possible. Quality over quantity.

I know of a few people with large grows in NorCal that feel like they have this limited opportunity to push out tons and make cash before the market completely dries. Sorry, but I'm here for the long haul, this isn't a get rich quick scheme, get in and get out. This is a lifetime passion for me, and anyone who just sees this as their next con game is sorely mistaken. When big pharma comes in, they will have the quantity game on lock, but it will take them years and years (if ever) to get the quality on lock, so focus on quality.

Exactly, its all about quality on the west coast. If the non-reightous people out there are going to complain, than move to the east where you can grow a ton of mediocre herb an get rid of it with no problem.

The way i see it, this is a modern day gold rush, and eventually the rush is going to end. The govt or big pharma will eventually realize how much money they can make and take over for the most part.

However In order for the govt to man up an legalize, they will have to realize one thing.... That half of the police force, prison guards, DEA, and many other govt / state authoritys will need to be fired. And i think this is a huge reason it will stay illegal for years to come, cuz in my opinion, our government is turnin more an more fascist year by year. The U.S govt wants as many people as possible working for them.

There are so many problems with our society/govt it makes me sick to my stomach when i think about it.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
also alot of the guys dumping prices for cheap in cali are stealing power and growing way over limits, thereby reducing their costs.

I hate to see growers getting busted. I just hope it's the players adding criminal aspects, making it tougher for people that purchase costs. I'm not the judge but legit growers are being squeezed by exploitation. Cali is a burgeoning capitalist market. Unfortunately, players will be regulated to benefit the whole.

I hate to observe the paradox but busting the criminal ops will help supply and demand problems for non-criminal growers.

My wish is that the criminal element sees the same playing field of legitimacy. Instead of peeps going to jail the criminal element will see nothing much to exploit. Then things won't be so tough on folks making a livelihood growing quality.

Tela

Unless your income is less than 36k a year, you are ripping off taxpayers by signing up for the CARE program and are purely in it for the money. I suspect most growers in the CARE program also do not pay their federal and local income taxes so they are double fucking legitimate taxpayer citizens. Greedy, lazy, and ignorant as far as i'm concerned. Man up and pay your share. If you have marginal growing skills, this should not be a problem. Otherwise you are as scummy as the folks running credit card scams, boosters, and rippers.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Say that to Jeffery Immelt. GE made 14.2 billion in profits and paid zero in taxes. And they got 3 billion + in additional breaks. John Stewart jokes that's a -60% tax rate for GE. Is the math right? Who gives a flip. They're also in the process of stripping what remains of US workers' benefits.

IMO, you can't squeeze the legit grower out of business. They'll stop what they do best when the margin no longer sustains their effort.

Ditto!

Quality is an issue indoors, as there are still tons of dipshits growing lousy weed and selling it to tightwads at a discount. Growing costs are increasing constantly. But the price is coming down? Dispensaries getting closed left and right will raise prices on the street too.

I hope the assholes who got into this to get rich
are sitting on 1000 pounds of worthless crumbly outdoor, and have to move back to their home state since they clearly can't cut it here.

/Born and raised in NorCal.
So why are you growing 16kw in your basement? For kicks and mass giveaways? Or have you somehow earned your keep over transplants due to some locality thing, is that what you're saying?

I respect your grows and appreciate your wisdom. But I think you are a bit full of it here man.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
So why are you growing 16kw in your basement? For kicks and mass giveaways? Or have you somehow earned your keep over transplants due to some locality thing, is that what you're saying?

I respect your grows and appreciate your wisdom. But I think you are a bit full of it here man.

I do give a lot of medicine away every month, yes. the rest I take donations for, and use to pay my workers (roughly $3500/mo), rent ($1800/mo for the basement) power ($4k) and things like nutes, new bulbs, soil, new carbon scrubbers, and a million other things. The basement costs a grand total of $10K per month to operate, inclusive.

I am certainly not rich, I don't own a house, only thing I actually own is an old pickup truck that needs a new engine, and I can't afford to replace it.

Don't be so quick to judge.

And yes, I think people that grew up here, have ties and roots here, have more right to grow than those that moved here to make a quick buck. If you were from here you'd feel the same way.

D

decarboxylator

And yes, I think people that grew up here, have ties and roots here, have more right to grow than those that moved here to make a quick buck. If you were from here you'd feel the same way.

LMAO... especially from a chemy grower. The organic heads from around the world are moving to CA to grow organic herb in the sunshine and under lights. America's history (and especially CA) is built on these migrations, ie the gold rush. You must be high :rolleyes: or struggling to keep up. Many of us came here to plant roots, buy land, and grow. The quick buck folks, well they sure exist, I just don't know them.

By the way, no judging here. Get your hustle on brah. Homies gotta eat.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Unless your income is less than 36k a year, you are ripping off taxpayers by signing up for the CARE program and are purely in it for the money. I suspect most growers in the CARE program also do not pay their federal and local income taxes so they are double fucking legitimate taxpayer citizens. Greedy, lazy, and ignorant as far as i'm concerned. Man up and pay your share. If you have marginal growing skills, this should not be a problem. Otherwise you are as scummy as the folks running credit card scams, boosters, and rippers.

so its ok for the mega wealthy corporations to get billion dollar tax breaks but not ok for a middle class grower to save a few grand by signing up for care??

doesnt make sense...i dont see how a grower using CARE is the same as someone skimming credit cards...no where close.

also...what are you commercial warehouse guys paying per 1k in your area....i heard a friend of freind got a warehouse with care but i cant find any info on it...says care is only for qualified households on the website.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Sigh. Lots of people grow indoors for the better security, myself included. Indoor organics are so rare (especially on any kind of scale) that's it's pretty much unheard of.

Outdoor = organics.
Indoor = chems.

I'm not struggling, but I pay everyone involved a very good wage, including trimmers. The high rent I pay kept one family from losing their home. I don't steal power or utilize the CARE program, I pay full price for power. I grow mostly elite strains, ethically and carefully produced, to be consumed by myself, my patients, and my loved ones. My weed is stronger and tastier than just about everything else I see out here, and provided for very reasonable donations.

I'm not in this to get rich, I have a full-time job. I grow because my wife is disabled and can't work, so I do it to make ends meet. I'm a third-generation NorCal grower, and am saddened by the current state of affairs. Organized crime, violence, power theft, all are unwelcome attributes to our beloved NorCal culture.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
IMO, we'll see less scrutiny in grower pricing when this reform game plays out. Buyers will reflect what's hot and sales will reflect demand. If you're lucky and or savvy enough to have the right stuff at the right time, coupled with the ability to make it sing, it'll ring in the form of sellers price. "You want it, you buy it." Then, the market will support or squeeze that price.

Long story short, it's as broad as it is long. We'll fall into the slots we make or the ones we're squeezed into. I'll probably never be able to afford the best of the best but it'll still be available. Hope so, anyway.

D

decarboxylator

Sigh. Lots of people grow indoors for the better security, myself included. Indoor organics are so rare (especially on any kind of scale) that's it's pretty much unheard of.

Outdoor = organics.
Indoor = chems.

I'm not struggling, but I pay everyone involved a very good wage, including trimmers. The high rent I pay kept one family from losing their home. I don't steal power or utilize the CARE program, I pay full price for power. I grow mostly elite strains, ethically and carefully produced, to be consumed by myself, my patients, and my loved ones. My weed is stronger and tastier than just about everything else I see out here, and provided for very reasonable donations.

I'm not in this to get rich, I have a full-time job. I grow because my wife is disabled and can't work, so I do it to make ends meet. I'm a third-generation NorCal grower, and am saddened by the current state of affairs. Organized crime, violence, power theft, all are unwelcome attributes to our beloved NorCal culture.
That's all well and good, except for your silly assertion that indoor=chems. I'm still LOLing on that one.

I'm third gen, not from CA. I learned about medical mj when my grama was growing for my grandpa's terminal cancer. I've been groomed since childhood to grow pot organically. Indoors, outdoors, greenhouse, the moon, doesn't matter, organic. I was in high school when 215 passed and already on my third round. I turned 18, went to organic farm college, and here we are. A decade plus later CA is my home. I've taught grow classes all over the bay, worked at a dispensary or two, and now just do my thang. I love it here. I feel at home for the first time in my life. I go mushroom hunting and foraging weekly. Can you say "perfect climate" :)

D

decarboxylator

IMO, we'll see less scrutiny in grower pricing when this reform game plays out. Buyers will reflect what's hot and sales will reflect demand. If you're lucky and or savvy enough to have the right stuff at the right time, coupled with the ability to make it sing, it'll ring in the form of sellers price. "You want it, you buy it." Then, the market will support or squeeze that price.

Long story short, it's as broad as it is long. We'll fall into the slots we make or the ones we're squeezed into. I'll probably never be able to afford the best of the best but it'll still be available. Hope so, anyway.

I think some of the power players, the larry's og or whatever, will stay in high demand. and the name will cement it's place in the market. it's all about brand recognition over the long term. there will be fads, and staples. judging from what I've seen from the breeders, there will be "strain wars".

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
so its ok for the mega wealthy corporations to get billion dollar tax breaks but not ok for a middle class grower to save a few grand by signing up for care??

doesnt make sense...i dont see how a grower using CARE is the same as someone skimming credit cards...no where close.

also...what are you commercial warehouse guys paying per 1k in your area....i heard a friend of freind got a warehouse with care but i cant find any info on it...says care is only for qualified households on the website.

I agree with the above. Regulation needs to help the less than mega growers. Otherwise, the money and economy gets squeezed to the top. Part of the free market is being able to determine what a product sells for. Grower/seller and buyer pride is merely physiological until quality and market distribution aspects apply.

As much as I feel that future reforms will temper pricing, we'll get to a point where the man says no to further price considerations. And if the respective man happens to be a better cost manager that's gravy, not place for ethical judgement. IMO, the market will support or squeeze the price.

Growing weed suffers perils like food markets. Boom and bust cycles are tempered to keep those we need in the business of doing what they do best. We might see subsidies that actually pay the grower to indefinitely not grow weed in order to sustain long term marketability.

IMO, power subsidies shouldn't aggregate to consumer savings as much as it should help maintain the grower's ability to continue as a supplier. The market will fluctuate and so may the price.

ion

anybody that thinks your "tax dollars" go for anything tangible in the U.S.-anian economy needs to quit drinking the kool-aid....like the mental midgets that complain about people on welfare. .....spend a coupla minutes and look up how much JPmorgan cashes in off of processing food stamps for us.gov .....more peasants=more $$ ...........deficit? one of the biggest money-makers here...replaced the great american working force, you could say.....think it'll ever be "paid off"?....no. *** pot prices......hate to be nouvaeu cliche,but black swans are gonna become so numerous that white swans will be the new black swan......

--what do you think the price would be if grows sucking more than 20KwH/daily could not be profitable?

--what do you think the price would be if there's rolling blackouts this summer?.....say east coast and west coast..

--how many growers can provide their own supplements(everything you add to plants during the grow)...and power for lights?(no gennies..)

with all thats going on...economic fuckery/escalating u.s. "democracy" spreading/global radiation release/climate+solar activity.....plus many other issues......id say quit worrying where the prices will go.......id say figure out a way to keep the lights on for 3-5 days w/o having juice....(or gas)

Quality=Value, Value will continue to drop on the lower quality product...
High quality will still demand fair market value.
Step you're game up or you're game over period!!!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I think some of the power players, the larry's og or whatever, will stay in high demand. and the name will cement it's place in the market. it's all about brand recognition over the long term. there will be fads, and staples. judging from what I've seen from the breeders, there will be "strain wars".

I agree. We've got a good situation going on here at IC. Many professional growers showing their tricks of the trade.

I see variety and knowledge being more retained in the future more so than now.

This may not be an apt comparison. I know a former grower that did 8.5 of 10 years for distribution. He showed me pics of very large outdoor plants and said it was easy, the plants did it all themselves. I'm sure he was generalizing.

Then he showed me a few pics of liquor stills and said it takes decades of hands on experience to improve the product.

I see those who retain the best quality coupled with the best skills commanding the top shelf. IMO, IC won't see as much coveted info as we enjoy today.

Latest posts

Latest posts