What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

Medical marijuana facing a backlash http://bit.ly/8YbYLI

They are looking to avoid what happened in California, which allowed the pot industry to grow so out of control that at one point Los Angeles had more medical marijuana shops than Starbucks — about 1,000 by one count.

"Yeah, it's out of control — and it needs control, if not extinction," Montana Sen. Jim Shockley said Friday. "There's no control over distribution. There's no control over who's growing it. There's no control in dosage."

Fourteen states have legalized medical marijuana, beginning with California in 1996, and the District of Columbia followed suit this month. The laws allow chronically ill people to buy marijuana with permission from a doctor.

But many of these states passed their laws without working out the details. And they weren't ready for the boom in pot shops that occurred this past year after the Obama administration announced it wouldn't prosecute medical marijuana users.

With the dire economic situation in our country,
medical marijuana is just about the only game in town.

Is there any wonder as to the explosion of dispensaries
and growers, in California, and elsewhere.

If anything, this is presenting a learning experience,
to the cities, counties, and states,
that there is much work to be done in the way of
putting laws in place to protect the public during this onslaught.

One only needs to glance at CA's news on the mmj turmoil
to understand that CONTROL is badly needed.

in the meantime, there are corporations forming
in every nook, and cranny, in California, and elsewhere,
in the rush to capitalize on the marijuana boom.

unfortunately, the growers will end up as workers,
rather than owners, of these corporations.

there's far too much negative publicity, being generated,
about marijuana. this will likely increase in the lead-up
to the November election.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Uhmmmm.... if you believe there are/were more pot shops in LA than Starbucks you are very gullible indeed. Who needs to Google it to see that for what it is? A lie.

Control is what the gov has had since the 20's! How has that wroked for the pot community. It is a growing and evolving thing that needs less control not more. Why should the states all of a sudden make a mint in the windfall of taxes, business lic, and bullshit beuracracy that is sure to follow any further gov involvment?

SeniorB - I already had that exercise and switched to building instead of conceptualizing. Works much better for my bottom line!!

Medical Pot Trips Up Cities
Montana Towns Fight to Rein In Industry Amid Store Boom, Spate of Violence

BILLINGS, Mont.—Cities across this state are rushing to contain a pot-store boom and an uptick in related violence that underscore the struggles of local governments nationwide to manage the growing medical-marijuana industry.

This month, the Billings City Council approved a temporary moratorium on the opening of new marijuana storefronts, shortly after firebombs were tossed at two such businesses and "Not in Our Town" was spray painted on both buildings.

Kalispell recently banned any new medical-marijuana stores in the city following the bludgeoning death of a patient that authorities believe was related to the theft of medical-marijuana plants. Next month, the Great Falls City Commission will consider whether to extend an existing moratorium on medical-marijuana businesses or ban them altogether after the town saw the patient count mushroom "completely out of hand," according to Great Falls Mayor Michael Winters.

"It's an absolute nightmare," Billings Mayor Tom Hanel said from his downtown office. "My prediction is it's only going to get worse if we continue to allow it." Still, medical-marijuana advocates are urging restraint, concerned about the impact of changes on the sick and pain-stricken.

View Full Image

Associated Press
Authorities earlier this month investigate the firebombing of Montana Theraputics, a medical-marijuana business in Billings.

Fourteen states plus the District of Columbia have passed laws intended to give certain ill people legal access to medical marijuana. But, in many instances, municipalities are left to figure out how to implement state laws that are often vague when it comes to the day-to-day operations of the medical-pot business. Those laws have led to confusion in communities and pushed states including Colorado and Maine to clarify what is legal for the industry.

And Los Angeles, which didn't cap the number of dispensaries in the city for more than a decade after the state legalized medical marijuana, has just launched a get-tough policy designed to control hundreds of medical-marijuana dispensaries.

In 2004, Montanans voted overwhelmingly in favor of a law allowing "patients" and "caregivers" to legally possess some marijuana plants and usable marijuana. Patients must first obtain a state-issued medical-marijuana card after a physician certifies that they have a "debilitating medical condition," such as cancer or severe nausea. Patients can either grow marijuana plants themselves or select a caregiver to provide it.

Several states are considering easing marijuana laws to decriminalize possession as well as profit from its sale. WSJ's Ashby Jones details what's behind the movement in a February interview with Kelsey Hubbard on the News Hub

Like some other states, Montana saw the industry expand rapidly after the U.S. Justice Department in October told federal prosecutors nationwide to refrain from going after medical-marijuana users and distributors who were in compliance with state law. Since September, the number of people registered as medical-marijuana patients in the state has more than tripled to nearly 14,000, according to Montana's Department of Public Health and Human Services.

Some Montanans argue the law is resulting in too-easy access to the plant for those who want to smoke it recreationally under the guise of being ill. Under particular scrutiny are traveling medical-marijuana clinics where caregivers set up in hotels and display products while prospective patients wait in line to receive a recommendation from a physician, usually for a fee.

"Before the doors even open, the parking lot has 300 kids throwing Frisbees and playing Hacky-Sack," said Mark Long, narcotics chief for the Montana Department of Justice.

Montana state legislators recently convened a committee to study ways to more effectively regulate the medical-marijuana business. The legislature plans to take up the issue in January.

"The stakes are high for a lot of these patients," said Tom Daubert, a lobbyist who orchestrated the 2004 ballot initiative that created the medical-marijuana business in Montana. Mr. Daubert also helps operate one of the state's biggest marijuana grow operations at Montana Cannabis outside Helena.

Montana law is unclear on several issues, such as whether a person can be arrested for possessing marijuana if they have applied for—but haven't received—a medical marijuana card. "Nobody knows what's legal and what isn't in a lot of situations," said Mr. Long.

In Billings, population 104,000, the number of medical-marijuana businesses has risen to about 80 from a handful in October, city officials said. The city said Thursday that it would close 25 stores it says aren't registered properly with the state.

"This is a legitimate business," said Kathy Adler, manager of Billings-based New Frontier Patient Care, which isn't among those being closed. "It should be treated no differently than any other business."

Last week, Mr. Daubert sat in a Montana Cannabis office in Billings near a hardy marijuana plant and a desk scattered with marijuana leaflets and marijuana-laced crisped-rice treats.

Kati Wetch, a 20-year old medical-marijuana patient with a painful genetic disorder that affects her brain stem, came in to pick up her regular supply. "I feel like a whole new person," she said. "My neurosurgeon told me to keep smoking."

Mr. Daubert said his main concern is keeping the drug accessible to patients like Ms. Wetch. He said he is working with law enforcement and lawmakers to help craft better rules. "I'm not surprised that there's some backlash," he said. But "it would be a serious mistake to drive all of this underground."

comments http://bit.ly/cReLyp

http://bit.ly/9Vrefo

If the "mmj dispensary" treated it as a farmers market and had a set fee per day/week/month for a spot to "share" your wares... Whatever you want to call it ;) LOL

Could also have a monthly MMJ cup... The top of the list get the best spots in the place... And... You know what happens to the rest :tiphat:

It still gets smoked... =)

F_T_P!

That's because 10 years ago the herb was worth 5K-6K per lbs. The 2K per lbs. shwag that gets sold in dispensaries, that they try to pass off as "medical" quality herbs, still sells for $100-$140 per quarter oz.

Gotta admit even here the so called dispencaries weed and concoctions SUCK MONKEYS BALLS in terms of potency!!!!

Glad I can grow my own. I know whats NOT in it!

I.R....

mrktwiz

This is why my killer stuff never see's Cali anymore....ADAPT or die.

I only keep enough for my small patient list, friends and head stash, rest goes to..................

Meh, you guys are still getting 3200-3400 for the good stuff right?

So what if you get 4K in the Midwest, or 4800 on the east coast? If you can find a mule to make that trek cost effective for that kind of differential, damn!

mrktwiz

Meh, you guys are still getting 3200-3400 for the good stuff right?

So what if you get 4K in the Midwest, or 4800 on the east coast? If you can find a mule to make that trek cost effective for that kind of differential, damn!

I know I'll get flamed for this, but....

in MY little world here Northern Cali. no one is getting $3200-$3400 for even top notch OG Kush, (because I have some atm). If I want, I can sling it 1/8th or a 1/4 at a time and get more than $4K a lb overall but that is a major pita and I have to listen to a bunch of pot snobs whine and bitch (not my idea of fun). Frosty Blackberry Kush is going for $2,800 and that is about the top dollar you can get.

I have another "channel" I go through to get a price that I am comfortable with, but hey (shrug) thats me, if your getting $3.2 - $3.4 per lb, hook a brother up!

Electrician

Yep prices are fucked, My bros been giving away headbands, and Trainwreck for 2,500 and its indoor bomb! The prices are only going to continue to drop.

D

decarboxylator

I know I'll get flamed for this, but....

in MY little world here Northern Cali. no one is getting $3200-$3400 for even top notch OG Kush, (because I have some atm). If I want, I can sling it 1/8th or a 1/4 at a time and get more than $4K a lb overall but that is a major pita and I have to listen to a bunch of pot snobs whine and bitch (not my idea of fun). Frosty Blackberry Kush is going for $2,800 and that is about the top dollar you can get.

I have another "channel" I go through to get a price that I am comfortable with, but hey (shrug) thats me, if your getting $3.2 - $3.4 per lb, hook a brother up!

that's pretty accurate around here too. it's how it a go. some dispensaries are still paying more to long term vendors...

timmypark

The clubs at Santa Ana, CA are clustered around each other like herpes. They are killing each other with their low prices. They do $10g for top shelf, $200 oz...WOW, its amazingly cheap. But it can be cheaper. Imagine $1 gram? woooooweeee!!!!

danut

The price, if it had never been made illegal to begin with, would be about four dollars per pound. Like a vegetable.

The difference between $4 and $4000 is kept in place by putting thousands of people in jail. Even killing some.

It's blood money.