What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

914safbmx

i'm hearing numbers going up for quality outs, and staying the same for dumpy ones. are things thinning out already or are people pulling my leg? the junk seems to be plentiful this year but if shopping for anything decent you gotta piece it all together chunk by chunk. still talking outs and cheaper GH btw

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hammer.... "vending to strangers it's too risky at my age"....agree buddy, being careful more important than anything. Good luck and best withes..DD

CrushnYuba

So all these people were saying 4+ a unit for ins. Now I'm hearing 22. Did the market dip big time or are they just different markets?

HL45

Veteran
Saw real deal top shelf aaaplus fly at 4 in LA. Same folks had quality indoor on their desk from 2 to 26..
last year highest ticket I heard from a trusted source was 65 in LA... people coming in to " get the zahzah"

Markets all over the place....

its more about who ya know vs what ya have, but alot of what people consider amazing indoor is not up to par with the stuff that's getting 4 plus. Great weed no doubt but theres a few more levels to this..

Tons of good looking great smelling greenhouse stuff that doesnt smoke well. 12 to 18..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots can affect the price. The longer it sits the less it's worth. Price's change all the time. A fresh batch that sold for 3 won't fetch the same after a few months.

musigny23

Lots can affect the price. The longer it sits the less it's worth. Price's change all the time. A fresh batch that sold for 3 won't fetch the same after a few months.

True for indoor but well grown outdoor narrow leaf types like hazes get better with a few months of proper curing. Done right, there should be no loss of value.

Brother Nature

A little off topic, but why is it that wholesale prices drop with the age of the bud? The general consensus of the cannabis community, from what I've seen, is that bud is better when 'cured' (I don't fully believe this, but seems the majority do) so why would a pack have a lower price after a month or two of curing compared to fresh off the plant? Does it have anything to do with processing it into rosin, shatter, etc... and retaining terp profiles?

podiboy

A little off topic, but why is it that wholesale prices drop with the age of the bud? The general consensus of the cannabis community, from what I've seen, is that bud is better when 'cured' (I don't fully believe this, but seems the majority do) so why would a pack have a lower price after a month or two of curing compared to fresh off the plant? Does it have anything to do with processing it into rosin, shatter, etc... and retaining terp profiles?

Just my opinion but the oxidation/degradation that occurs for MOST weed over time is what drives the price down. I still see outs that were dried correctly, stored in the dark between 40 and 50 degrees with a humidity around 60%, gassed/burped at least a couple of times per week, freshly trimmed and they look every bit as bright green as fresh deps AND they have the extended cure so smell and taste better. Calling them outs probably affects the price in addition to them being not quite as frosty as the new deps. Again, i am guessing a lot of it is stored at 70+ degrees in someone's bedroom closet, thus the darkening, flavor loss and deserved price drop. We are also talking now 7 months since the fall harvest, pretty sure December can't be considered inferior to October when taken care of reasonably well but market dynamics, excess supply, first to market n such could affect the price. As far as I know, only trim, smalls and seconds gets turned into shatter/wax, not sure about rosin but it makes me cringe to imagine a beautiful round bud being crushed and seared into a black smear.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

The older the flowers are the potency, terpenes decrease, this is a proven fact. . Storing weed long-term is not a good practice. I've said it many times curing is not good over 30 days on quality weed. . Ive been around a long time, cured every way you can think of. Ive never had any of my quality weed get better from long term curing. At best it just makes your smoke smoother. Curing was a practice used to help make bad batches better in taste (less harsh). Ive said this many times. It was never intended to be used on quality flowers. Over the years people have misinterpreted its use. I could never figure out why so many think it's an improvement unless the bud they smoking isn't the best to start with. As we know people in general believe some crazy shit.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Then what outgasses and makes jars burp?

LOL, You make the jars burp.. This was pretty funny to ask.,., Curing causes the plants moisture to move from deep inside to out. Ea time you burp the jar it releases the built up moisture. If you just burp and close this process takes a long time to reach the proper flower humidity. The longer you leave the jar open the faster the moisture evaporates. You should keep your flowers at 58% rh . Never put wet flower in a jar to cure. It must be partially dried before you start. Those of us good at this can do it easily.

My farmer buddy used to keep his best OD until April

If he did this on purpose he should know his best isn't as good as it was when fresh(less than 30 days old))

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Supply meets demand. They also supposedly had deps shortly thereafter like about a month or two, at least that was the story. I just came in here to see how much I was saving b y growing. Looks like the stimmy has prices firm.

I like the heads on the plants in my tent - intact.

musigny23

The older the flowers are the potency, terpenes decrease, this is a proven fact. . Storing weed long-term is not a good practice. I've said it many times curing is not good over 30 days on quality weed. . Ive been around a long time, cured every way you can think of. Ive never had any of my quality weed get better from long term curing. At best it just makes your smoke smoother. Curing was a practice used to help make bad batches better in taste (less harsh). Ive said this many times. It was never intended to be used on quality flowers. Over the years people have misinterpreted its use. I could never figure out why so many think it's an improvement unless the bud they smoking isn't the best to start with. As we know people in general believe some crazy shit.

Please provide your valid scientific proof. Remember some primary terps might decrease while secondary ones increase. That's why people age wines and cheeses. Fresh and primary has it's profile which is more basic and well cured often presents more layers of complexity. They see value in those changes. The fresh and the aged coexist as equally valid depending on what you prefer. And by the way, saying something many times doesn't make it true. We have an X-Prez who demonstrates that daily. So you prefer fresh, ok, good for you. When a person prefers a cured bud over a fresh primary one, for them it's better.

I've been around a pretty long time too and in that time I learned not to speak in blanket absolutes and insist my taste preferences are the "correct" ones.. My exhibit No. 1 on curing would be Thai Sticks. Never less than 2 or 3 months old in the US and the best were legendary smoke and they commanded a premium price.

PanamaRed44

Please provide your valid scientific proof. Remember some primary terps might decrease while secondary ones increase. That's why people age wines and cheeses. Fresh and primary has it's profile which is more basic and well cured often presents more layers of complexity. They see value in those changes. The fresh and the aged coexist as equally valid depending on what you prefer. And by the way, saying something many times doesn't make it true. We have an X-Prez who demonstrates that daily. So you prefer fresh, ok, good for you. When a person prefers a cured bud over a fresh primary one, for them it's better.

I've been around a pretty long time too and in that time I learned not to speak in blanket absolutes and insist my taste preferences are the "correct" ones.. My exhibit No. 1 on curing would be Thai Sticks. Never less than 2 or 3 months old in the US and the best were legendary smoke and they commanded a premium price.

It comes down to opinion on this one. I'm somewhat surprised nobody is talking about how NorCal is flooded with outs right now and deps are about to come down. Lots of people are going to be left sitting on last years crop.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Cannabis degrades over time, its a fact. The longer it sits the more of everything it loses or converts. Anyone that thinks otherwise is an idiot. Cannabis is not wine. If you need proof do it yourselves by sending off samples at timed intervals. Using Thai Stick as an example means nothing as you have no clue how strong it is when fresh or any other imported weed. Curing(longer than 30 days) quality cannabis doesn't make it unusable, it changes its high type. It's still high quality weed. THC degrades to CBN over time which makes it very sedative, so everyone perceives it as better when it knocks you out. This is not better. Doesn't matter what someone else posts or what facts there are. You will believe what you wish to believe regardless of someone else's prof lol.

Last edited: