What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

mojave green

rockin in the free world
Veteran
The idea that production cost should drive price differences between indoor and outdoor is a fallacy. That indoor should cost more because indoor growers think it costs more (that depends on how you figure it) to produce is nonsense. Consumers do not care at all about grower overhead costs but they've been duped by indoor growers to accept that idea.

And just how do you cost outdoor, exactly? What gets counted and what doesn't? Price of the land? Cost of the 4 wheel drive pickup? Costs related to water supply and storage? For one season or multiple ones? There are many factors to consider. Narrowing it down to gear and electric bills vs "free sun" is way too simplistic and wrong. Sun isn't free because land isn't free. Sun is also not unlimited. Much of the planet gets adequate sun just 6-7 months a year.

The notion that indoor provides more quality control is another dubious notion and whether it does or doesn't is irrelevant to pricing. What good is that control when it limits the quality of the terpenes obtainable? There are terp profiles indoor cannot achieve.
I can run a 200 sq ft greenhouse for half the cost of a 200 sq ft indoor op.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
. What good is that control when it limits the quality of the terpenes obtainable? There are terp profiles indoor cannot achieve.

you can disagree with every point music makes, but his last point is rite-on .... outdoor weed has something that indoor can duplicate...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
i guess its the terp's... if i'm growing the same plant indoors n outdoors, and both r grown well, i always pick outdoors - i think the sun adds something to the high, that indoors cant replicate..

Indoor gets a shot of UVC for a couple hours a day for 2 weeks before harvest to address that.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Price is in the eyes of the beholder. If someone buys your packs consistently there happy with the price/Quality. If someones buys your packs for 4k all the time I don't think anyone's gonna complain lol.

If any can pass there outdoor as indoor you can bet there gonna do that. There's a hell of a lot more sub par outdoor than indoor IMO.

'Boogieman'

The best I smoked was grown outdoors, and the worst I smoked was also grown outdoors. I would pay more for high quality grown outdoors rather than indoors as I believe it's better.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can understand the idea that the sun could provide light that creates some additional terps/flavor. However, this is not always the case. Ive grown a lot of what i currently run indoor, outdoor previously. Some of my strains did great some didnt even come close to the same level of flavor I can get indoors. Also, is having bugs, fallen debris from trees, windblown silt, bird shit, beetles and moths etc in your herb worth that little extra bit of terps? How about weather? Youre at the end of your year and you get hit with tons of rain, happens a lot. Or better yet smoke taint now. If your main tops get loaded with pm or rot, do you think everyone just throws it all away? No, most do their best to hide it and seal good material into a bag with moldy shit which coats everything in mold spores even if you cant see it. Ive seen literally 1000s of packs of outdoor and yes, some is rather clean. But ive found pretty gross shit in there too. The loudest and tastiest herbs ive ever smoked were indoor. Ive been growing for 20 years. Ive been a judge at the cannabis cup. Ive run countless strains from clone and seed indoor and outdoor. Id rather smoke ins where i know there was quality and cleanliness control. Cant be downwind from someone spraying roundup if youre indoors. Ive said it before, take a nug and stick it outside for 10 weeks, come back and look at it. Do the same with a bud indoors.

Last edited:

HHILL

There’s also that artificial light can’t produce all the compounds that sunlight does, such as THCV as I recall. But apples to oranges, I always prefer my backyard organic homegrown.

Outddor/greenhouse/indoor.... that’s where the market is right now. In 25 years it will be much different I’d imagine.

120Octane

A well designed green house can grow weed just as good as any indoor.

If you walk through a doorway then you are indoors....period...

No outdoor no walking through a door way weed is going north or $2K...You pull visquine over some pvc you got a ghetto indoor..still not going over $2K....

Fact remains $10 eight is what sun grownor outs go for..cause its shit....indoor grown piss poor still gets $5 a Gram....do the math 5X454 thats north of $2k

If you are a real farmer you can get twice the price....All the organics revelations and chakra crystals are some tasty sales practices for emotional marketing but most people call it bullshit.....

Bottom line is you can have shitty indoor and still make as much as the top outs bring.....why waste the timefor bottom barrel prices...Trust me I am not in a med/rec state.....I see ppl scramble for the cheapist and think they are a rapper/hustler and soon learn what broke is......

Honestly whats the point of selling 1 lb for 1600 on a good daywhen you can sell a qp and make atleast 1600....I know alot of people on this site do not understand economics well...myself I rather sell 16 at 400 than sell 4 pounds to break the mark the qp set.....

To the boo hoo people that say you cannot get 400 a zip well do learn how yo be a better farmer and boost quality high...Otganics not doing it and neither is any bottle..My point is 5 out of 100 can grow high quality weed and we get paid well vs some nasty ass outs

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you walk through a doorway then you are indoors....period...

No outdoor no walking through a door way weed is going north or $2K...You pull visquine over some pvc you got a ghetto indoor..still not going over $2K....

Fact remains $10 eight is what sun grownor outs go for..cause its shit....indoor grown piss poor still gets $5 a Gram....do the math 5X454 thats north of $2k

If you are a real farmer you can get twice the price....All the organics revelations and chakra crystals are some tasty sales practices for emotional marketing but most people call it bullshit.....

Bottom line is you can have shitty indoor and still make as much as the top outs bring.....why waste the timefor bottom barrel prices...Trust me I am not in a med/rec state.....I see ppl scramble for the cheapist and think they are a rapper/hustler and soon learn what broke is......

Honestly whats the point of selling 1 lb for 1600 on a good daywhen you can sell a qp and make atleast 1600....I know alot of people on this site do not understand economics well...myself I rather sell 16 at 400 than sell 4 pounds to break the mark the qp set.....

To the boo hoo people that say you cannot get 400 a zip well do learn how yo be a better farmer and boost quality high...Otganics not doing it and neither is any bottle..My point is 5 out of 100 can grow high quality weed and we get paid well vs some nasty ass outs

I wouldn't know about the shady shit others do to fake indoor weed. A well design green house isn't a hoop house lol. Here its 2klb for top shelf real indoor. Knowing a good none commercial grower goes a long way getting the really good packs. No need to be greedy. Treat your buyers well you have a life long business relationship. Im sure some in illegal states will pay $400oz. That shit ain't gonna happen in Cali lol.

Lyfespan

I wouldn't know about the shady shit others do to fake indoor weed. A well design green house isn't a hoop house lol. Here its 2klb for top shelf real indoor. Knowing a good none commercial grower goes a long way getting the really good packs. No need to be greedy. Treat your buyers well you have a life long business relationship. Im sure some in illegal states will pay $400oz. That shit ain't gonna happen in Cali lol.

100-150 an oz maybe here in socal

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
"No need to be greedy. Treat your buyers well you have a life long business relationship."

As a guy on the other end of this, that is gospel. My farmer is straying from the true path.

packerfan79

Veteran
100-150 an oz maybe here in socal

I was at 200 an ounce till 2020s price hike. I still charge 200 for the weed I grow. But the weed i buy for resale is 240 an ounce. Indoor only. I have bought really nice outdoor a few times and it didn't sell for shit.

My long-term customers seem to appreciate that I haven't raised the price on the bud I grow. The newer customers don't seem to get it. I am considering charging 240 for all but my long-term customers. Most of my long-term customers have been with me for 10 years or so.

I have probably doubled my customer base this year