What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
quality speaks for itself. Don't get stuck on names.

I used to agree Hammer. If it was fire enough and a buyer knew what they were looking at, sure, the product should sell itself. However, with everyone and their Mom getting into the business over the past 10 years in California, there are tons of inexperienced people somehow responsible for buying. They would not know good quality if it was stuck to their wall glistening bright lime green and purple coated in sugar. They know “my shelf needs an og or a cookie”. In that case, they just look at price. Those people are stupid, but they exist and they had an effect on the flooded market back when it was truly flooded. They were imo a part of why prices fell so low, thus putting us into that “race to the bottom” situation. Nowadays more of those phonies are hanging their hats and the people who know true quality are willing to pay. All of us need to stick together and not accept bullshit numbers or it hurts us all.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who buy weed without checking it 1st?. I don't grow any of those hyped names. Don't use them to breed with either. Stupid people will attach the latest hyped name no matter what they buy if it makes more $$ .

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Who buy weed without checking it 1st?. I don't grow any of those hyped names. Don't use them to breed with either. Stupid people will attach the latest hyped name no matter what they buy if it makes more $$ .

Totally, then there are those who only buy it bc of some hyped name so people selling fake work all day long. Im not even meaning to say people dont look at it first, even the dummies do but they dont know what to look for. They see commercial work as nearly equal to something special. It used to seem just be a numbers game for a while. Im always running through unheard of things, but i keep some crowd pleasers around to keep bills paid and something in constant demand.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I should clarify, I have used others cuts to breed with. Its been a few years since I had another person cut. That will change with White Truffle coming in. Anything made wont be reproducible by others. WT is suppose to be top shelf. At least I can compare with mine.

Last edited:

Lyfespan

i had a team, to handle things, but as things started getting shitty connections were lost. im now having to jump lanes ad try to pickup the pieces. after spending to rehab rooms, update equipment andspent money in general.

like hammer i dont use hype names, i grow quality clean meds and dont care to play games or lie. i enjoy growing, i understand all aspects of this industry and have all the experience too. but i found it best to just grow, let everyone else make products, packaging and what not. i have spent thousands on people and their great marketing ideas, im done with that, making hash and all other things but growing, done.

just trying to keep doing what i love, but looks like its back to construction management

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It can be rough for anyone with no connections. Ive been doing business with the same person for years. If he died it take me a min to find someone I like again.

packerfan79

Veteran
i had a team, to handle things, but as things started getting shitty connections were lost. im now having to jump lanes ad try to pickup the pieces. after spending to rehab rooms, update equipment andspent money in general.

like hammer i dont use hype names, i grow quality clean meds and dont care to play games or lie. i enjoy growing, i understand all aspects of this industry and have all the experience too. but i found it best to just grow, let everyone else make products, packaging and what not. i have spent thousands on people and their great marketing ideas, im done with that, making hash and all other things but growing, done.

just trying to keep doing what i love, but looks like its back to construction management

Hit up the status sesh. It's in SB. you should be able to move a few packs a day.

asilsweater

Yea I went to the one on 24 and it was hella shady, that’s why I’d like to attend other more reputable spots. Shoot me the ig for them thru my inbox. Happy holidays??

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
I found this site link to be helpful and accurate. I think its important to remember where you grow it (outdoor, greenhouse, indoor) makes no difference on the price. Quality sets the price. Indoor can look like outdoor, outdoor can look like indoor, and greenhouse can go either way.

https://www.cannabisbusinesstimes.com/cannabisindex/

Where you grow it does make a difference. You can grow A+++ outs, and nobody will pay 28+ for it, not even 22+ unless it's broken down into zips.

Of course there's deps that look like ins, but nobody in CA will go for it. You can fool out of staters tho. I've seen that happen several times.

OP

PanamaRed44

Where you grow it does make a difference. You can grow A+++ outs, and nobody will pay 28+ for it, not even 22+ unless it's broken down into zips.

Of course there's deps that look like ins, but nobody in CA will go for it. You can fool out of staters tho. I've seen that happen several times.

OP

The comment I made is in reference to the prices in the link.

musigny23

where you grow it (outdoor, greenhouse, indoor) makes no difference on the price. Quality sets the price.

I wish that was true. In CA it seems that where it's grown matters more to price than any other aspect. Pretty much it's the only factor assuming the item isn't a bad example. Look back at this thread, you will see numerous posts listing price ranges for outdoor, deps, and indoor. True absolute "quality" (taste, potency, effects) hardly count at all compared to grow method and looks.

As far as I'm concerned this standard for pricing makes no sense. I've been involved with this since the late 70s. I've seen the prices move up and down over that time. Mostly they moved based simply on supply and demand relative to a general "quality" assessment. Price categories did exist, such as brick weed or Mexican, Thai sticks or stickless and homegrown. Indoor did not exist till after about 1987-88. It was the first product to really deviate from quality determining price. Cost to produce became the main factor for indoor which wasn't a factor for other production methods.

How that evolved is a story of its own.

Indoor can look like outdoor, outdoor can look like indoor, and greenhouse can go either way.

Not really true but sort of and the less experienced the viewer the more it can the case. There are many who can't reliably determine which is which and yet if you reveal it to them they instantly assign the current price levels to them regardless of actual real quality. Makes. No. Sense.

IMO the way the market has decided to price is perverse in many ways. Cost to produce shouldn't count much at all. It's something the grower chooses and must make work, not expect consumers to pay for. Indoor can be produced repeatedly all year round yet full season sun grown has just a single run per year. Seems that would make top quality examples the most valuable but it's not.

wwoww

Are you guys getting these prices off locals or immigrants? What do you think about Mexican growers. Their outdoor was pretty good every time I went through them and cheaper than any where else I could find

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think we all can agree quality should drive prices.. Ea person has there own opinion what quality is.. If you have experienced a wide range of genetics going back the last 50 years you will know what I'm talking about.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its about overhead. Quality does drive price, great indoor fetches higher numbers than shitty ones. Same goes for outs. However, if any of us decided we wanted to grow 100lbs all at once in California.....the sun is fucking free. Sure there is overhead with doing it outdoor, but cost that out and then do the same for indoor with added electric bills. Indoor will always cost more because it costs more to produce and makes for a product with more quality control. If a bunch of birds decide to shit on your outdoor, that sucks, indoor, it hits the roof.....

musigny23

Its about overhead. Quality does drive price, great indoor fetches higher numbers than shitty ones. Same goes for outs. However, if any of us decided we wanted to grow 100lbs all at once in California.....the sun is fucking free. Sure there is overhead with doing it outdoor, but cost that out and then do the same for indoor with added electric bills. Indoor will always cost more because it costs more to produce and makes for a product with more quality control. If a bunch of birds decide to shit on your outdoor, that sucks, indoor, it hits the roof.....

The idea that production cost should drive price differences between indoor and outdoor is a fallacy. That indoor should cost more because indoor growers think it costs more (that depends on how you figure it) to produce is nonsense. Consumers do not care at all about grower overhead costs but they've been duped by indoor growers to accept that idea.

And just how do you cost outdoor, exactly? What gets counted and what doesn't? Price of the land? Cost of the 4 wheel drive pickup? Costs related to water supply and storage? For one season or multiple ones? There are many factors to consider. Narrowing it down to gear and electric bills vs "free sun" is way too simplistic and wrong. Sun isn't free because land isn't free. Sun is also not unlimited. Much of the planet gets adequate sun just 6-7 months a year.

The notion that indoor provides more quality control is another dubious notion and whether it does or doesn't is irrelevant to pricing. What good is that control when it limits the quality of the terpenes obtainable? There are terp profiles indoor cannot achieve.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The idea that production cost should drive price differences between indoor and outdoor is a fallacy. That indoor should cost more because indoor growers think it costs more (that depends on how you figure it) to produce is nonsense. Consumers do not care at all about grower overhead costs but they've been duped by indoor growers to accept that idea.

And just how do you cost outdoor, exactly? What gets counted and what doesn't? Price of the land? Cost of the 4 wheel drive pickup? Costs related to water supply and storage? For one season or multiple ones? There are many factors to consider. Narrowing it down to gear and electric bills vs "free sun" is way too simplistic and wrong. Sun isn't free because land isn't free. Sun is also not unlimited. Much of the planet gets adequate sun just 6-7 months a year.

The notion that indoor provides more quality control is another dubious notion and whether it does or doesn't is irrelevant to pricing. What good is that control when it limits the quality of the terpenes obtainable? There are terp profiles indoor cannot achieve.

Well, i just couldnt disagree more. Quality control is a dubious notion and is irrelevant to pricing? I could go on to dismantle your other comments but... we can stop here. Well just have to agree to disagree, have a terrific day.