What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wholesale pot prices plummet. Now there starting to get better

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Most selling pot here in Cali are neither saint nor sinner, just folks trying to get along. But yea, $400 an oz. is a bad joke imo. That was the going rate at the local dispensary by me. I do not judge the dispensary for their prices, just saying that is hell of a lot for a plant.

The dispensary got raided and closed for being a profit driven business under the guise of non profit. The city fined them $1000 a day when they were open. The dispensary filed legal charges to get that money back..... you guessed it, the city busted them soon after.

I wish they would just legalize the shit, this is bringing the worst out of some people. Thankfully I can grow for just a few bucks a crop not counting all the hardware I had to get to get started. There is almost a depression here in parts of Cali., lots have no other options for income but to sell.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i don't claim to be some sort of business guy or anything but its all just mathematics right?
you need x to stay afloat and you can sell y to net those x amount of bucks by selling weed at z rate.

you say you only get 50% of it and the rest is for the vendor? cut out the middle man, and then undercut, you don't make money by selling your product (the same product as everyone else) at the same price and win. no competition no reason to choose. i see 4 gas stations at the same intersection shell, bp, marathon, raceway all selling the same gas at the same price. why would i choose amoco over shell? because their gas is supposedly clearer? possibly but in a pinch im going to the one that's closest and easiest to get into.

if all the dispensaries are selling the same shit at the same price i don't care where i go , whichever is closest and easiest to maneuver into. they made it easier for you guys to legally be commercial did they not? loopholes and shit about caregiving and whatnot? what's stopping you from offering higher... or your level of quality to private "patients" at a steep discount over the competition? volume will override costs over time.

you can sell 5 ounces a week at $400 each or you can sell 10 ounces a week at 300 and make more money. your choice. small constant gains over time are always better than large temporary gains. think about that old ancient chinese (i think he was chinese anyway) guy who was awarded anything he wanted and he asked the king to give him one grain of rice on the first square of a chessboard and then double the amount for each succeeding square rather than take a big bag of gold.

or some shit like that. the moral of the story is slow and steady wins the race, you guys are burning your rocket fuel out the gate and this is a marathon.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
if you guys are the robin hoods of the weed world you claim to be why are you guys complaining about prices falling? you are giving it away to all the sick people for free right, and everyone else who just wants some connoisseur has to pay. why can't they pay $30 for an eight? why does it need to be $60+ so you can make your profit.

you guys must live isolated lives to have it so totally wrong about how it really is on the ground level. people would love to grow their own, who wouldn't rather have free weed than paying through the nose for it? just because people aren't flooding ICMAG doesn't mean they aren't out there. when i came looking for info on how to grow weed over 10 years ago there was like 5 sites around, overgrow, i think this site might have been around, and like 3 other site with a handful of people on them overgrow was what this site is trying to be. almost got as many people here as were there. but over those last 10 years weed growing has blown up to the point that america went into canada another sovereign country and arrested marc emery and brought him back illegally to serve time in america for a crime that wasn't illegal where he is from in canada. there's a million websites selling seeds, and a million more telling you how to grow them.

why are all these things in place if no one want's to get their hands dirty and grow? who is funding all these seed companies?

c'mon son fuck outta here with that bullshit. just say we like $$$ and call it a day.

nomaad

Veteran
Plenty of people want to grow, man... you just have no sense of perspective. 15% of a million is 150K people. That leaves 850K people.

You lose credibility with every post. Please reserach the 13 common fallacious arguments.

nomaad

Veteran
Only about 15% of people in the US are capable of doing anything for themselves besides showing up for work and heating shit up in the microwave. Almost everybody just does what they have to and are happy to buy and pay for every other thing.

And you say I'm isolated from the world. How isolated is it to believe that even a slight majority of smokers wants to grow their own? You may associate with lots of DIYers (people tend to associate with others like them), but that doesn't make them the majority of the marketplace. This idea is not just wrong, its incomprehensible. You're simply mad to base your argument on such an assumption. I am not saying one way is right or wrong... simply that this is the way it is.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
yeah isn't it, i grow in 2 square feet of space with a 70w hps. laugh away hahaha :pointlaug
i don't care about popularity, only care about speaking my mind. im glad prices are/were plummeting maybe this legalization thing is finally going to work and we can come out of the shadows and not have to hide that we grow plants and like to get high off of them for various reasons. people thinking weed is all about guns and shooting and violence and black market prices won't really help that. dispensaries getting robbed for some of that millions of dollars a year profit showing up on the news every other day won't either. i don't live in cali but i do get your news. i wouldn't want weed legal either if thought al that came along with it was violence and death.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
considering what i work with, yes i am goddamn crushing it. sorry i don't have a 600 watt lamps and ample room to grow weed like you. i only have a small cabinet and high temps to work with.

nomaad

Veteran
And who amongst us denies liking the living we make? Our pricing operates on simple supply and demand. Considering 20% annual drops for the last 3 years, gluts, shortages and constant changes in law, only a business intent on failure would not accept the price that the market will bare.

There are plenty of unscrupulous growers who exploit people and the plant, but they generally grow shit weed. (Can I hear an AMEN?) There are also middlemen and dealers raping you every week calling that shit weed Kush and selling it to you for 60/8th. That's not even close characterizing to the contingent of commercial growers on IC.

Only about 15% of people in the US are capable of doing anything for themselves besides showing up for work and heating shit up in the microwave.

So sad, so true........I read a while back that among those under 30 in America that drink coffee every day, the vast majority NEVER make it at home.......they'd rather spend $3 or $4 a time or two a day at Starbucks.

Personally, I don't see why anyone ever buys mj....but I am glad that they do! The last time I bought any was the Fall of '73, the first green cannabis without seeds I'd ever seen. It came from Salmon Creek in SoHum, and was marketed as "Oaxacan" tops, highgrade Mexican, as there was such a stigma attached to "homegrown" at the time. At the time, I thought $50 an oz. was outrageous. I split one with a friend...left the country for 3 years, came back and started growing my own in '79, and have been self-sufficient ever since, no matter where I've lived.
It is a pretty easy thing to grow your own fine cannabis, but it is also pretty easy to make your own coffee.........

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Last warning. Civility is not optional it's required.

Thread's closed for a cool down period.

........(Insert "Final Jeopardy" theme song here).......

And, we're back. Play nice.

Last edited:

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
Coffee in California

Coffee in California

This is how we do it.

We select our fresh green coffee beans from all over the planet. We get some of the best available beans from small family growers. Some beans are so rare, there is only a couple acres.

picture.php

How about some Kona from Moki's Farm?
picture.php

picture.php

I roast the coffee to whatever I feel like at the time. Heres a 12.6 minute dark roast
picture.php

picture.php

I always serve it with this:

Hawaiian Raw washed Sugar
picture.php

Last edited:

MrBlue2

Good genetics are still around in Cali....If growers would realize that Sativas are where its at and spend a little extra time growing them out then maybe, just maybe the market will balance itself out and the $3200/lb will go for well grown Indicas. :joint:

Many of the popular strains being grown in cali are sativas or at least sativa dom hybrids. Almost everything out here gets crossed with a sativa to increase vigor and yield. Strains like blue dream, ssh, sssdh, grape ape, sour diesel, headband, train wreck etc. are everywhere.

As far as the pure sativas go, your never gonna get them to catch on for comercial growers. unless you can get lil wayne to talk about a 120 day thai in one of his songs. there will never be enough demand to drive the price up to were it needs to be to make it worth while.

think about it. if you compare a 100 day strain that will give you a pound per light with a 50 day strain that will give you a pound per light. you wind up with twice as much of the 50 day indica. if the indica sells for 3000 per pound the 100 day sativa would have to fetch 6000 per pound to make it equal out. Another thing to factor in is that long flowering sativas are much more difficult to grow and if something gets messed up there is quite a bit more time lost.

somoz

Veteran
i can't wait till weed is legal and people who don't grow don't have to pay these outrageous prices to you pirates.
you guys are supposed to be part of the solution not part of the problem.

You seem very angry and bitter with things, I hope you find some resolution with your thoughts and feelings. I don't want to immerse myself too heavily into this dialogue but I'm sure you know of this thing called alcohol? The majority of the population is allowed to brew their own beer, but do you see everybody and their mother doing it? Just because it is legal doesn't necessarily imply that people will do it themselves. That's kinda putting the cart before the horse.

Now, for the case at hand we are talking about something that is not federally legal and a lot of big growers put their ass on the line to provide a product that a great many people enjoy and need for medicinal purposes. Yes, they get compensated for it but they also have to hustle for it and in the process employ and provide for them and theirs.

I'm not going to state woe is us poor growers but if you run a field or 10 lights or any sort of operation that is beyond just your personal there are a plethora of factors that come into the equation in order to get that said product to market. It can be at times physically, emotionally, and mentally draining. When you can't discuss your work openly it creates a disconnect and that can be frustrating as well but more to the point, is that ultimately, it just takes a lot of work to produce high end killer green on a larger scale.

If that's something you don't believe then all I would say is try it and let us know how it works out.

Prices prices prices. This year is going to be waaay more forgiving than past and will probably be a quick reprieve until next year.....I think next year the market is going to get bombed out big time. My feelings are that be happy and be grateful if you have the right people sorting you out because prices will rise and prices will drop but in the end if you love what you're doing and are getting a decent slice of the pie, life is good.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts