What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New York officials reach agreement to legalize marijuana

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/new-yo...ize-marijuana/

Weed all about it!

New York State lawmakers struck a deal Wednesday to legalize marijuana, legislative sources said — just hours after Gov. Cuomo called the move “essential” to the state’s social and economic well-being.

The reform measures will be included in the laws that are set to be proposed as part of the state budget due on April 1, the sources said.

The deal would allow New Yorkers over the age of 21 to legally buy and possess up to three ounces of pot for their personal use, with sales by licensed dispensaries to begin as early as December 2022, sources said.

Recreational stoners could even cultivate up to six plants each, or a dozen per household, but a big bummer in the agreement would make them wait to start growing their own until 18 months after the first dispensary opens, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle said.

Plans call for a 9 percent state tax on retail sales that could generate $300 million a year in new revenues, state Sen. Liz Krueger (D-Manhattan) told The Post.

Cities, towns and villages that don’t opt out of allowing local sales or deliveries could also tack on another 4 percent tax.

The deal includes the creation of a new state regulatory agency, the Office of Cannabis Management, to license growers, retail sales, delivery and on-premises consumption, Krueger said.

Still-unresolved issues include how the tax money would be distributed beyond funding the new agency, with plans calling for 40 percent dedicated to school aid, 40 percent to social-equity grants and the remaining 20 to treatment and public education.

In addition, Cuomo wanted the agency under his control but the plan calls for it to answer to a five-member board with three gubernatorial appointees and one each selected by the state Senate and Assembly, respectively, Krueger said.

During a news conference earlier Thursday, Cuomo said he was making marijuana legalization a top priority in budget negotiations with lawmakers.

“This year we have to get it done, and getting it done by the time the budget is passed is essential,” he said.

“Cannabis is not just social equity, it’s also revenue for the state.”

Cuomo bluntly admitted that weed should have been legalized “years ago” and — in an extraordinary acknowledgment — blamed himself for the state’s official prohibition of pot.

“We’ve been trying to legalize cannabis for three years. I’ve failed every year,” he said.

“We’re close. Close three times before. If we were playing horseshoes, we would be in good shape. But this is not horseshoes. You either get it done and sign a bill, or you don’t.”

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
What are they gonna do if they catch ya growing in the 18 months? LOL. Cuomo is trying to make a distraction.

igrowone

Veteran
Dear God - Thank You!
I know 18 months seems lame, but that's a huge turn around from Andy, the hater of all things cannabis
gonna need to see the details on this, and more patience

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
What are they gonna do if they catch ya growing in the 18 months? LOL. Cuomo is trying to make a distraction.

From a business perspective, that's actually a good thing for dispensaries. Shops opened up here at the same time as home growers, and many of their potential clients grew their own. If they held off a bit, shops could have had a window to establish themselves.

If you grow a couple reasonable plants, I don't see anything more than a fine to make up for the lost taxes the plant would normally generate. If you get stupid, expect giant fines and a criminal charge for repeat offenders.

Grow, but don't do 6 Mendo Dope style plants. That's just dumb.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
On this side of the border, the stimmy has people buying grow supplies, tents, lights, etc. Many are going organic. Nationwide shortage of worms. Maybe the sweet spot is selling the stuff growers need, as well as bud Probably a lot less hassle selling the supplies.

When you work from home, is there still a drug test?

troutman

Seed Whore
I'm sure they'll all wait 18 months.

When I got my grow permit the plants were miraculously already flowering. :biggrin:

Cuddles

this is great news. I got famiily in NY but they don´t do weed at all. I do and I´m in the wrong part of the world 😒
gonna ask them and see what they think

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/new-yo...ize-marijuana/

Weed all about it!

New York State lawmakers struck a deal Wednesday to legalize marijuana, legislative sources said — just hours after Gov. Cuomo called the move “essential” to the state’s social and economic well-being.

The reform measures will be included in the laws that are set to be proposed as part of the state budget due on April 1, the sources said.

The deal would allow New Yorkers over the age of 21 to legally buy and possess up to three ounces of pot for their personal use, with sales by licensed dispensaries to begin as early as December 2022, sources said.

Recreational stoners could even cultivate up to six plants each, or a dozen per household, but a big bummer in the agreement would make them wait to start growing their own until 18 months after the first dispensary opens, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle said.

Plans call for a 9 percent state tax on retail sales that could generate $300 million a year in new revenues, state Sen. Liz Krueger (D-Manhattan) told The Post.

Cities, towns and villages that don’t opt out of allowing local sales or deliveries could also tack on another 4 percent tax.

The deal includes the creation of a new state regulatory agency, the Office of Cannabis Management, to license growers, retail sales, delivery and on-premises consumption, Krueger said.

Still-unresolved issues include how the tax money would be distributed beyond funding the new agency, with plans calling for 40 percent dedicated to school aid, 40 percent to social-equity grants and the remaining 20 to treatment and public education.

In addition, Cuomo wanted the agency under his control but the plan calls for it to answer to a five-member board with three gubernatorial appointees and one each selected by the state Senate and Assembly, respectively, Krueger said.

During a news conference earlier Thursday, Cuomo said he was making marijuana legalization a top priority in budget negotiations with lawmakers.

“This year we have to get it done, and getting it done by the time the budget is passed is essential,” he said.

“Cannabis is not just social equity, it’s also revenue for the state.”

Cuomo bluntly admitted that weed should have been legalized “years ago” and — in an extraordinary acknowledgment — blamed himself for the state’s official prohibition of pot.

“We’ve been trying to legalize cannabis for three years. I’ve failed every year,” he said.

“We’re close. Close three times before. If we were playing horseshoes, we would be in good shape. But this is not horseshoes. You either get it done and sign a bill, or you don’t.”

Bravo! Any state that legalize is good a good thing (in general). Considering NY has the highest state tax of the country, I wouldn't want to buy "legal weed" there, after seeing how much a gram cost in legal markets. The option of growing your own is always a good thing. At least they have a decent plant count :)

troutman

Seed Whore
Wonder how that happened? :biggrin:

It's not my fault Health Canada can't keep up. :laughing:

Like honestly, what other prescription do you have to run by them? If you get a narcotic pain killer prescription it can be
filled the same day at a pharmacy. To me Health Canada is intentionally violating our medical rights with their intervention.

Latest posts

Latest posts