What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Jersey weed legalization timeline: Details on when the bill rolls out

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
New Jersey weed legalization timeline: Details on when the bill rolls out

Recreational weed is finally legal in New Jersey after years of failed legislative attempts.
While the historic law signed by Gov. Phil Murphy Monday allows for the possession of up to six ounces of marijuana, it will take time for Garden State residents 21 and older to be able to legally purchase weed.
Here’s a look into the state’s rollout of the law.
When and where can I buy weed?

Give it some time. The state still has to set up a marketplace and regulations for the new industry, which Murphy said could take months.
Experts have told NJ.com that legal sales could begin in early 2022.
Purchases will initially be made at existing medical marijuana dispensaries, but only after they show they have enough dope for the nearly 100,000 patients in New Jersey.
The Cannabis Regulatory Commission, which will oversee the industry, has six months to enact its rules and regulations before it’ll start accepting new licensees for recreational businesses.
But a recent court ruling may help hasten the process — the state Department of Health may soon be able to dole out up to 24 new licenses to dispensaries, NJ.com said.
However, the new law limits the number of licenses to grow pot to 37 in the first two years.
Where will I be able to smoke it?

It’s still prohibited to use pot in public settings. But the new law calls for the creation of “consumption lounges” where you can bring your own weed to enjoy.
How much will it cost?

That depends. The price-per-ounce will fluctuate based on supply and demand.
But what’s certain are the 7 percent sales tax and an up to 2 percent municipal tax on pot sales.
An excise fee will also be imposed on cannabis growers on a sliding scale, depending on the cost per ounce. If an ounce costs $350, a $10 tax will be levied. The tax rises to $60 if the price drops to less than $250.
The law is designed so that the bulk of the sales tax — and 100 percent of the excise fee — will go to 20 designated communities of color that have been disproportionately affected by prior drug laws.
So, will I get arrested if I’m caught with pot?

Effective immediately, those in the Garden State can carry up to 6 ounces without the threat of fines or arrest.
Those under 21 are now subject to a series of written warnings — the first warning would go to themselves, the second to a parent and the third would involve a referral to a community program, such as drug education or treatment, NJ.com reported.
The new law also creates a way for pending cases involving marijuana offenses to be dismissed, and offers more protections when it comes to pot.
Police can no longer stop someone because they smell marijuana. They must also have body cameras turned on when interacting with young people and cannot detain them beyond issuing a warning.
Can I grow marijuana at home?

No. The three bills signed into law by Murphy do not allow for home-grow operations.
If I live in a neighboring state, can I buy marijuana in New Jersey?

Technically, though federal laws would prevent you from crossing state lines with it — which could prove hard to enforce.
Where else is recreational weed legal?

New Jersey joins 14 other states, as well as Guam and Washington, DC, in legalizing pot — Colorado, Arizona, South Dakota, Montana, Alaska, California, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont and Washington.
https://nypost.com/2021/02/23/a-timeline-of-when-new-jerseys-weed-legalization-bill-rolls-out/

prune

Veteran
Reading through the details, the Gov first has to appoint the new CRC, then they have 6months to design the regulatory system, then licenses can be applied for, facilities built and plants grown.

That puts earliest product on the market the second half of 2022, with long lines, beginners bud and NYC prices.

For a while though, commuter traffic through the tunnels will reverse as all NYC shoots over to Jersey City for their fix... lol

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Pretty cool but no home growing. Bummer.
That's a killer for sure. Any legalization should allow home brewing for the lack of a better word. I support my local economy and the taxman adequately @ POS and my utility bills, not the big gov't outside of that.

Gone Camping

That's a killer for sure. Any legalization should allow home brewing for the lack of a better word. I support my local economy and the taxman adequately @ POS and my utility bills, not the big gov't outside of that.

The people voted in home growing last November. The state disregarded it in favor of their preference of the almighty dollar... typical bait and switch.

NJ residents should grow a backbone and file suit.

I was looking forward to running a few minutes across the river and finally see the inside of a dispensary. I'll keep my ass here in Pa..

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
When we look at all the money it costs with regs, they are raking in the moula, all so you can legally buy shitty weed. It's a start (legalization) but I prefer the important parts to be in place 1st, not having to fight for them later, which is always more difficult to achieve.

vanilla dutch

This is great news everybody. Baby steps is important to keep in mind. Hopefully soon legislation will include growing. Lets thank the state for what they have accomplished.

Gone Camping

This is great news everybody. Baby steps is important to keep in mind. Hopefully soon legislation will include growing. Lets thank the state for what they have accomplished.

I feel as though they defrauded the voters with promise of home growing to get the bill passed.. knowing full well they would snatch back that dangling carrot once they got what THEY wanted in order to fulfill promises and line their own damn pockets. Typical NJ bullshit..

vanilla dutch

Exact opposite.they signed until the legislatiors can protect in house/state growing.luckily mmj and rec is now protected.what dontcha understand?

sshz

Can't wait to get me some over taxed, B grade swag from the dispensaries. NOT!

I do a lot of mail order business in NJ and the government can't compete in any way against my quality or prices. That's the real end of the story.

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can't wait to get me some over taxed, B grade swag from the dispensaries. NOT!

I do a lot of mail order business in NJ and the government can't compete in any way against my quality or prices. That's the real end of the story.

Black market is here to stay regardless of states' legalization.

Latest posts

Latest posts