What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weather and Covid causing mass unemployment of Rasta's - in Jamaica -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It's all gone to pot! Jamaica faces 'worst ever' marijuana shortage after heavy rains, drought and drop in farmers - with experts dubbing it a 'cultural embarrassment'

Heavy rains during last year's hurricane season pummelled marijuana fields that were later scorched in a drought, causing 'tens of thousands of dollars' in losses

Jamaica authorised regulated medical marijuana industry and decriminalised small amounts of weed in 2015
People caught with 2oz (56g) or less of cannabis are supposed to pay a small fine and face no arrest or criminal record -

Jamaica is facing a marijuana shortage, in what has been described as a 'cultural embarrassment'.

Heavy rains followed by an extended drought, an increase in local consumption and a drop in the number of marijuana farmers have caused a shortage in the island's famed but largely illegal market that experts say is the worst they have seen.

'It's a cultural embarrassment,' said Triston Thompson, chief opportunity explorer for Tacaya, a consulting and brokerage firm for the country's fledgling legal cannabis industry.

Jamaica, which foreigners have long associated with pot, reggae and Rastafarians, authorised a regulated medical marijuana industry and decriminalised small amounts of weed in 2015.

picture.php

Heavy rains followed by an extended drought, an increase in local consumption and a drop in the number of marijuana farmers have caused a shortage in the island's famed but largely illegal market that experts say is the worst they have seen. (Above, a farmer with a marijuana plant during a tour of his plantation in Jamaica's central mountain town of Nine Mile in 2013)

People caught with 2oz (56g) or less of cannabis are supposed to pay a small fine and face no arrest or criminal record.

The island also allows individuals to cultivate up to five plants, and Rastafarians are legally allowed to smoke ganja for sacramental purposes.

But enforcement is patchy as many tourists and locals continue to buy marijuana on the street, where it has grown more scarce - and more expensive.

Heavy rains during last year's hurricane season pummelled marijuana fields that were later scorched in the drought that followed, causing tens of thousands of dollars in losses, according to farmers who cultivate pot outside the legal system.

'It destroyed everything,' said Daneyel Bozra, who grows marijuana in the south west of Jamaica, in a historical village called Accompong founded by escaped 18th-century slaves known as Maroons.

Worsening the problem were strict Covid-19 measures, including a 6pm curfew that meant farmers could not tend to their fields at night as is routine, said Kenrick Wallace, 29, who cultivates two acres in Accompong with the help of 20 other farmers.

picture.php

Heavy rains during last year's hurricane season pummelled marijuana fields that were later scorched in the drought that followed, causing tens of thousands of dollars in losses, according to farmers who cultivate pot outside the legal system. (File photo)

He noted that a lack of roads forces many farmers to walk to reach their fields - and then to get water from wells and springs. Many were unable to do those chores at night due to the curfew.

Mr Wallace estimated he lost more than $18,000 in recent months and cultivated only 300lb, compared with an average of 700lb to 800lb the group normally produces.

Activists say the pandemic and a loosening of Jamaica's marijuana laws have led to an increase in local consumption that has contributed to the scarcity, even if the pandemic has put a dent in the arrival of ganja-seeking tourists.

'Last year was the worst year. We've never had this amount of loss,' Mr Thompson said. 'It's something so laughable that cannabis is short in Jamaica.'

Paul Burke, chief executive of Jamaica's Ganja Growers and Producers Association, said people are no longer afraid of being locked up now the government allows possession of small amounts.

He said the stigmatisation of ganja has diminished and more people are appreciating its claimed therapeutic and medicinal value during the pandemic.

Mr Burke also said some traditional small farmers have stopped growing in frustration because they cannot afford to meet requirements for the legal market while police continue to destroy what he described as 'good ganja fields'.

The government's Cannabis Licensing Authority - which has authorised 29 cultivators and issued 73 licences for transportation, retail, processing and other activities - said there is no shortage of marijuana in the regulated industry.

However, farmers and activists say weed sold at legal dispensaries - known as herb houses - is out of reach for many, given that it still costs five to 10 times more than pot on the street.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-marijuana-shortage-heavy-rains-drought.html

therevverend

Veteran
Now I don't feel so bad about my stuff getting hammered by the west coast smokefest last autumn. No, that's not true I still feel bad.

In these situations there's always lots of people who get hammered and a few who make out great. There's no doubt some old guy up in the hills who still grows old landrace types that can grow through hurricanes, droughts, atom bombs, without a leaf wilting. He couldn't give the stuff away until a month ago, now everyone is beating is door down to score.

bigAl25

Veteran
This makes me sad, Mon, and refutes that everything is IRIE on my favorite island to visit. My wife and I have been there over 15 times over the past 30 years. It's always a wonderful visit after the bus ride of unbelievable poverty to get to our resorts. My heart goes out to Jamaica and we will still want to visit after this covid curse is under control. Should I bring my own with me? Probably not a good idea.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Oh No!!.... Say it isn't so!

Bud and his best buddy with the Rasta man, "Bully" , up in the hills of Jamaica in 1973..
We sure smoked a lot of good ganja there with our friend!
picture.php

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
This makes me sad, Mon, and refutes that everything is IRIE on my favorite island to visit. My wife and I have been there over 15 times over the past 30 years. It's always a wonderful visit after the bus ride of unbelievable poverty to get to our resorts. My heart goes out to Jamaica and we will still want to visit after this covid curse is under control. Should I bring my own with me? Probably not a good idea.

The bus ride of unbelievable poverty? Please elaborate..? :tiphat:

Rembetis

To say that they dont have much is an understatement. Even the ones fortunate enough to have jobs have nothing. Phrases like" the haves and have nots" or working poor really hit home in a place like Jamaica. The widening wealth gap that is happening everywhere is hitting especially hard there.
My wife and I have been going since the early 80's and it has always been a very special place in our hearts. We had even planned on retiring down there at one point. We felt so bad last trip in 19 that I dont know if we will ever go back. I cant even come up with words to tell you guys how bad it is. If we do go back it will be because of the people. In spite of all the hardship they face you will never find more happy and genuine people than Jamaicans.

Be aware if you do go. Tourists have always been off limits and protected to the point that guys that didnt want to go along with that would wash up on the beach. That has all changed. It is getting desperate and there are lots of guns on the island. Last trip for the first time ever we went thru Military and Police check points. Murders are way up including tourists.

Its a sad situation

CaptainDankness

the resorts are nice but most folks live in poverty, average folks do not have much. at least that was my experience years ago

Yeah I imagine it's really hard to live in Jamaica. I watched a video of the food prices and absolutely everything is cheaper in America and you ain't making $50k a year in Jamaica very easily.

Definitely a shitty way to live for the poor, but with that climate food should be free.

Rembetis

CaptainDankness;9117978 Definitely a shitty way to live for the poor said:
Its a small island with a large population so not everyone can afford land. The other problem is if you did grow food how would you protect it long enough to harvest? Same with trying to hang on to any livestock.
The whole region is ready to blow up if they dont get some humanitarian aid in there quickly. All but a few of those islands depend on tourist dollars

bigAl25

Veteran
Dear BadTicket, It looks like my fellow JamacAmericans have answered your question without me having to elaborate. They did a good job and understand the poverty situation in Jamaica. Because of the ganja, rastas, music, friendly people and beautiful beaches it is our go to ocean resort destination. And we love the all inclusive resorts. We only adventure out if we have a paid guide from the resort on their off days. They do all the negotiations for red stripes, ganja and take you places in safety the formal tours do not. Smiley and Jeffrey are our favorites and we used them again on return trips. A $100 for the day is like their monthly salary at the resort.