What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

British football coach is jailed for 25 YEARS in Dubai - for CDB vape oil !

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
British football coach is jailed for 25 YEARS in Dubai after friend's vape containing cannabis oil was found in his car
  • Footballer Billy Hood, 24, from London, sentenced to 25 years in prison in Dubai
  • Police found vape liquid containing CBD oil after searching his car in January
  • Billy is anti-drugs and doesn’t smoke, and the vape belonged to a visiting friend
  • Cannabis and cannabis oil is illegal in Dubai and there is zero tolerance to drugs
PUBLISHED: 14:37, 12 October 2021 | UPDATED: 19:09, 12 October 2021

A British football coach has been jailed for 25 years in Dubai after four small bottles of vape liquid containing cannabis oil were found in his car.

Billy Hood from from Notting Hill, West London, was given the harsh sentence despite being able to prove the vape liquid belonged to a visiting friend who had mistakenly left them in his car.

The 24-year-old fitness fanatic, who is anti-drugs and doesn’t smoke, was convicted by a court of drug trafficking with intent to supply.

Police in Dubai are thought to have singled out Hood after monitoring WhatsApp messages and looking for key words related to drugs. A week before his arrest the friend who owned the vape liquid sent a message telling Hood he had mistakenly left it behind in his car.
49074297-10083977-image-m-38_1634043833531.jpg

British football coach Billy Hood, 24, from London, (pictured) has been jailed for 25 years in Dubai after four small bottles of vape liquid containing cannabis oil were found in his car

The ruler of Dubai Sheikh Mohammed was last week revealed to have used spyware to hack into the phone of his ex-wife and her lawyer Baroness Shackleton while a custody hearing was taking place at the High Court.

The United Arab Emirates are known to be users of the Israeli made spyware known as Pegasus.

Hood, who played semi-professional football for Kensington and Ealing Borough FC, was stunned when police unexpectedly turned up at his flat in January and demanded to search his home and company car.

Four small vials of vape liquid containing cannabis oil (CBD) and a vape pen were later found in the passenger door compartment.

After his arrest Hood volunteered to take a urine test for drugs which came back negative.

Vape liquid containing CBD ( cannabis oil) is sold by high street stores in the UK and perfectly legal although they must contain less than 0.2% of THC which is the ingredient that leads to users getting ‘high’.

Cannabis and cannabis oil is illegal in Dubai where there is a zero tolerance to drugs.

Billy said: 'I do not smoke vape pens, cigarettes or even sheesha. I am very anti-drugs and spend my days coaching in schools with children.

‘I had just moved to a new home in Dubai and went to get a phone charger from my car when I was suddenly approached by police.

‘They jumped out to arrest me, handcuffed me. One officers pointed a taser at me, threatening to use it if I did not cooperate.
49074301-10083977-image-m-36_1634043738098.jpg

Police in Dubai are thought to have singled out Billy (left, with his aunt) after monitoring WhatsApp messages as a week before his arrest the friend, who owned the vape liquid, sent a message telling him he had mistakenly left it behind in his car

‘They demanded I show them where the drugs were. I was shocked and confused and told them I wasn’t in possession of any drugs.’

Hood said one of the arresting officers said they were interested in him from social media but did not take his phone or computer. He maintains there was no mention of the vape liquid on social media but in one WhatsApp message.

Police also found a few thousand pounds in cash in his flat but Hood’s employers told police they had paid him they money while his bank account was being set up.

The pressure group Detained in Dubai, who are representing the family, believe the only explanation for police turning up unannounced could be authorities monitoring WhatsApp and reading the message about the vape liquid.
49074489-10083977-image-a-40_1634044134417.jpg

Vape liquid containing CBD with less than 0.2% of THC is legal in the UK, but is illegal in Dubai where there is a zero tolerance to drugs (stock image)

Hood was held at a police station for four days where he was told if he did not sign a confession written in Arabic he would never be allowed to leave.

Family members said he was so frightened and tired that he agreed not knowing he had admitted such serious crimes.

When Hood appeared before a court last week and was convicted of drug smuggling, possession and supply and given the maximum sentence.

His worried family are pinning their hopes on an appeal next week where lawyers will argue he was bullied into signing the confession and prove there is no evidence that the vape liquid was his.

His brother Alex told Mail Online: 'It has been difficult to cope with Billy’s ongoing detention and the idea that he could be in prison until he is 50.

‘You could not meet anyone more fitness focused that Billy. He has never been into drugs and does not even smoke. We never thought moving to Dubai could be a one-way ticket.’

The family are critical of the British Embassy in Dubai who they claim have not visited Billy during the nine months he has been held in jail.’

Hood’s mum Breda, 52, said:’ I have hidden myself away crying and crying when I think of what my son is going through.

‘It is impossible that he is involved in drugs and my son does not deserve this and I appeal to Sheikh Mohammed to intervene in this case. My son is innocent.’

Radha Sterling, founder of Detained in Dubai, said: Dubai police’s handing of drugs cases has resulted in numerous unfair detentions of foreign nationals.

‘We have seen people arrested and even convicted without evidence, often on the basis of a forced confession in Arabic or from some third party.

‘Drug convictions are prestigious for police leading to promotions and the courts do not need substantial evidence to secure a conviction. Foreign nationals find it almost impossible to achieve a fair hearing and false allegations are common place.’

- Poor fella gets 25 years in a Dubai jail - for some CBD vape oil a friend left in his car - jeez -

British man jailed for 25 YEARS in Dubai after friend's vape containing cannabis oil found in car | Daily Mail Online

troutman

Seed Whore
Stuff like this is crazy.

Meanwhile, I bet some Saudi Prince is playing with underage girls in Dubai with no interference by the Government.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Sad story indeed!

The Q is... if they got the info from using "spyware", what is going on about his friend, the owner of the drugs? No mention here about his outcome if any. Dubai is widely known as a zero tolerance Nation!

Unlike the US, Canada has "free pratique" across the country (inter-provincial), providing it is 30g or less. TBS, all bets are off if you cross the border. You are on your own.

To date, the US (as some states) even arrest/arrested their own citizens traveling from legal states, to non legal state (even with med cards), have been pretty lenient at border crossings, when it has come to Canadians, providing you are below the 30g "Canadian legal limit". They simply confiscate your weed, and you can go on your merry way.

That being said, you are now documented! Canadians who have a previous drug felony on their records, aren't even allowed in the US. So should you get off with a warning, you got your "foul ball", you may not be as lucky second time around.

Of course this is not the best place to discuss this, as we have seen in the past. (Sorry Trout, that is a straw man argument)! Were one group took the position of don't do it, it's not worth it, to the other side trying to tell folks how they could circumvent the law. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

We are at the dawn of legalization in the world. The damage done in the past surrounding cannabis is not about to go away over night, especially the stigma, whether or not cannabis should have never been criminalized. Albeit, the system is not perfect (at this point in time) we are miles ahead of where we were, especially where we are permitted to grow our own.

We know that legalization is noting more than a tax grab, but that doesn't entitle us to a free for all, braking the laws until they are changed, or a single person getting a med card to grow 30 plants.

The laws in Dubai have been there for a long time. We were stationed there for the duration of our involvement in GW1. Not only, was drug use/possession was frowned upon (mild word) alcohol consumption outside ones home strictly prohibited, and outside of the "Mission to Seaman" alcohol (bars) were only found in American Hotels.

A ditty...

Having travelled the world, I never felt safer walking the streets at night to include but not limited to back alleys. At the time there were areas in Canada I wouldn't even think of walking the streets at night, let alone back alleys.

I was making a purchase at a jewellery store, paid with $100s and the store occupant, said he would be back with my change. I said there goes my money. On the way out the door the clerk/owner stated, watch my store. He returned about 10 minutes later with my change and a tray with coffee, which contained can milk. I hate can milk. But, it is an insult not to accept their offering, which is a sign of thanks for doing business with him. Knowing local customs is a must IMHO, to include that the 1st customer of the day will get the best deal that day, because they use the bartering system. The harder you barter, the better the day will be IAW their religion and customs. Punishment for stealing, they cut your right hand off (normally) or which ever hand you use to eat with it, no if ands or buts. Forcing you to eat with the hand you wipe your ass with for the rest of your life.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah - ICMAG is banned in Dubai - same as any website that is based around cannabis -

Cuddles

Another example why nobody should ever go there, especially women.

Zero tolerance in such parts of the world results in:

zero IQ points/
zero common sense
zero justice

At least Boris Johnson is NOT foreign minister these days -remember what happened last time?

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I served on the tanker, where our port of call was Dubai every 21 days to refuel, re ammo and resupply. Therefore we had a mix gender crew. Our women were not permitted to where shorts ashore but did not have to cover their hair. We were told not to take pictures of the locals.

The locals were friendly, it was good business. After Saddam was defeated and ousted from Kuwait. A taxi driver one night after some partying (mild, e.g a couple of drinks) at the local Hilton, stated the war is over. It is time for you foreigners to go home. Taxi drivers were known to turn you in to the authorities.

I have been to a lot of countries were I wouldn't go as a "civy", without our "floating embassy". It is what it is folks. When in Rome do like the Romans.

Most of their work force (labour) comes from abroad. They were paid pittance on the $. We took care of the LBGs (little brown guys, (made up mostly of Indians and Pakistanis)) as that is what they went buy. They would work there for a year and go home, able to feed their families for 2/3yrs. They were extremely well paid, not by our standards mind you. If you got fired or whatever, for whatever reason. You were thrown out of the country within 24hrs and, your money and belongings remained behind. They don't phoque around. They were tireless or what seemed to be tireless workers, who never gave a second thought about personal safety on the job, as they were use to it. They are labour and hence expandable.They got the work done "subito presto". We got a lot of work done. The downside, 1 sentry per 2 LBGs.

We looked after our LBGs. Feeding them and providing them with Mr Freezees. It is hot down there, damn hot (a la Robin Williams). I remember walking around a suke and I was cold. It was 114 deg F in the shade. Local temps at the time were 130/40 deg F. Your body acclimatizes itself to the high temps. We were at war and without them, we could not have completed our missions. Even we, were working around the clock. We spent many days working past midnight, sometimes to the wee hours of the morning (when on duty). We were in port for 4 days. We were glad to head back to sea so we could relax.

A lot of foreigners over the years have met similar fates while working in the UAE and SA. We have seen news reports in the past, similar to the one Gypsy posted.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stuff like this is crazy.

Meanwhile, I bet some Saudi Prince is playing with underage girls in Dubai with no interference by the Government.

i heard they were all turned on to boys and cocaine by western agents, in a similar way to how our gov & military were subverted

Last edited:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
25 years, for intent to supply, when they presumably know it was left in his car.

I will be happy when the oil isn't such an issue. I don't want to buy it from them.

Gry

Pays to be well informed and to understand what one's position is.
Hope someone will be able to work something out once the
press loses interest, to get him home.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
25 years, for intent to supply, when they presumably know it was left in his car.

I will be happy when the oil isn't such an issue. I don't want to buy it from them.

Simple! They made an example out of him, to reinforce their position on narcotics. They got him to cop to it, with a signed confession, without a lawyer etc... I hope it gets reverse. The movie Midnight Express comes to mind.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Pays to be well informed and to understand what one's position is.
Hope someone will be able to work something out once the
press loses interest, to get him home.

Agree! Being well informed is definitely key. Italy & Greece, rumour has it you better have friends. Rumour has it if you don't have family to bring you food you starve. So we were told. Dunno! I chose not to test their system out.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Dubai is such a huge flight hub between Europe and Asia these days - so many millions of passengers transit thru that airport every year to other planes east and westbound - and now it's a big city - just be extra careful with anything drugwise that could land yourself in a similar predicament to the unfortunate young man in the article above - even check your shoes for any bits of hash that might have stuck to them - since the Dubai authorities busted some DJ for that some years back - as I recollect -

Cuddles

I served on the tanker, where our port of call was Dubai every 21 days to refuel, re ammo and resupply. Therefore we had a mix gender crew. Our women were not permitted to where shorts ashore but did not have to cover their hair. We were told not to take pictures of the locals.

The locals were friendly, it was good business. After Saddam was defeated and ousted from Kuwait. A taxi driver one night after some partying (mild, e.g a couple of drinks) at the local Hilton, stated the war is over. It is time for you foreigners to go home. Taxi drivers were known to turn you in to the authorities.

I have been to a lot of countries were I wouldn't go as a "civy", without our "floating embassy". It is what it is folks. When in Rome do like the Romans.

Most of their work force (labour) comes from abroad. They were paid pittance on the $. We took care of the LBGs (little brown guys, (made up mostly of Indians and Pakistanis)) as that is what they went buy. They would work there for a year and go home, able to feed their families for 2/3yrs. They were extremely well paid, not by our standards mind you. If you got fired or whatever, for whatever reason. You were thrown out of the country within 24hrs and, your money and belongings remained behind. They don't phoque around. They were tireless or what seemed to be tireless workers, who never gave a second thought about personal safety on the job, as they were use to it. They are labour and hence expandable.They got the work done "subito presto". We got a lot of work done. The downside, 1 sentry per 2 LBGs.

We looked after our LBGs. Feeding them and providing them with Mr Freezees. It is hot down there, damn hot (a la Robin Williams). I remember walking around a suke and I was cold. It was 114 deg F in the shade. Local temps at the time were 130/40 deg F. Your body acclimatizes itself to the high temps. We were at war and without them, we could not have completed our missions. Even we, were working around the clock. We spent many days working past midnight, sometimes to the wee hours of the morning (when on duty). We were in port for 4 days. We were glad to head back to sea so we could relax.

A lot of foreigners over the years have met similar fates while working in the UAE and SA. We have seen news reports in the past, similar to the one Gypsy posted.

it´s very interesting to hear someones personal, first hand experience and story, thanks :)

Cuddles

Another good reason to invest in renewable energy imo.

Once we all have an alternative to oil these people in the dodgy countries will loose their power. I wish our countries could / would stop doing business with them and not give them any support.
But that´s all not gonna happen any time soon.

MrFancyPlants

Another example why nobody should ever go there, especially women.

:yeahthats

It truly boggles my mind why anyone from the West would want to even visit, much less move, there. The money must be good, but, really, is going back in time to the Dark Ages worth it? Every time I start getting down on how things could be much, much better here, all it takes to cheer me up is some crazy news from a Middle Eastern theocracy, China, or Russia.

Cuddles

:yeahthats

It truly boggles my mind why anyone from the West would want to even visit, much less move, there. The money must be good, but, really, is going back in time to the Dark Ages worth it? Every time I start getting down on how things could be much, much better here, all it takes to cheer me up is some crazy news from a Middle Eastern theocracy, China, or Russia.

yep. The only good thing I recall about it, I think Dubai is that students are given money so they can study and not have to worry about money. Whereas over here to got to pay a lot of money to go to college, degrees and MAs.
But that´s it really. As a woman I´m never going there, nor to India even though I´d really like to visit, but it´s just NOT safe! :(

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you a Brit out there with a business and you get in debt and or are unable to pay your creditors then see how well that’s gonna end,,,,

Latest posts

Latest posts