What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New York State Legalizes Recreational Marijuana

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ALBANY, N.Y.—New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed a bill on Wednesday to legalize recreational marijuana for adults, paving the way for retail sales in the state to begin in 2022.

The possession of up to 3 ounces of marijuana was immediately legalized for people 21 and over, but proponents of the legislation said it would likely take until next year for the state to finalize regulations for retail sales. New Yorkers will also eventually be able to legally grow their own marijuana for personal use.

Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat in his third term, signed the bill after it was approved by the state Assembly and Senate on Tuesday evening. The governor announced his support for legalizing recreational marijuana in 2018, but disputes about how to structure the legal market and spend related tax revenue held up earlier legislation.
“This is a historic day in New York—one that rights the wrongs of the past by putting an end to harsh prison sentences, embraces an industry that will grow the Empire State’s economy, and prioritizes marginalized communities so those that have suffered the most will be the first to reap the benefits,” Mr. Cuomo said in a statement on Wednesday.

New York becomes the 15th state to legalize recreational marijuana, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, a Democrat, signed a bill in February legalizing and regulating cannabis use and possession in that state.

Democrats who control the state Assembly and Senate in New York announced an agreement on the legislation last week and printed the final bill this weekend. It was approved after more than six hours of debate over objections by Republican lawmakers.

Assemblyman Keith Brown, a Republican from Long Island, said he was concerned that legalizing marijuana would make it easier for teenagers to acquire the drug.

“I am deeply concerned about the potential impacts legalizing marijuana will have on young adults and our quality of life in New York state,” Mr. Brown said during a floor debate.

Assembly Majority Leader Crystal Peoples-Stokes, a Buffalo Democrat who sponsors the bill, said there would always be young people who use drugs. She said 20% of the tax revenue generated from marijuana sales—which is eventually projected to be $350 million a year—would be devoted to drug education.

State Sen. Liz Krueger, a Democrat from Manhattan who also sponsors the bill, said the law would end disparate enforcement practices that have disproportionately hurt communities of color. She said during a floor debate that the bill would reduce the illicit drug market.

“Right now, we have an enormous system of drug distribution in this state that is controlled by cartels,” she said. “To have a legalized system—which is the proposal of this legislation—ensures that the drug is safe from seed to sale.”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-york-state-legalizes-recreational-marijuana-11617203436

igrowone

Veteran
wondered how quick this would be signed
damn quick is the answer!
jesus, my grow is now legal?!
ultimate motive was Cuomo throwing over a side of beef to the impeachment wolves barking at his heels
while they're chewing on that he'll be making a little more space between them and him

igrowone

Veteran
let's put this in perspective
about 1 month ago Cuomo trotted out the old NY retail only and no grows for anybody but those who had millions for the privilege
home grow penalties would have been higher
1 month later NY has become California east coast
whiplash barely describes the situation
and the police unions barely had time to squeak out a protest

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
let's put this in perspective
about 1 month ago Cuomo trotted out the old NY retail only and no grows for anybody but those who had millions for the privilege
home grow penalties would have been higher
1 month later NY has become California east coast
whiplash barely describes the situation
and the police unions barely had time to squeak out a protest

Are they allowing home grow? One comment by politician mentioned safe from seed to harvest sounds like corporate, and regulated to the max, with massive taxes.

igrowone

Veteran
Are they allowing home grow? One comment by politician mentioned safe from seed to harvest sounds like corporate, and regulated to the max, with massive taxes.

they are allowing home grow
3 in flower and 3 in veg
home growing is legal right now, hard to believe but looks to be true
^^^ EDIT - not true just in case anybody uses this as a guide to grow in NY - 18 months more(or longer)
I haven't looked at the fine print of the bill myself, just taking the descriptions as true
think I've landed in a twilight zone episode

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
they are allowing home grow
3 in flower and 3 in veg
home growing is legal right now, hard to believe but looks to be true
I haven't looked at the fine print of the bill myself, just taking the descriptions as true
think I've landed in a twilight zone episode

Was just watching T Zone. That is where NJ is F-ed, is growing. One western state is 6 flowering. As many as wanted in veg.

igrowone

Veteran
I've done a quick read from some mainstream news sites, but should be accurate
the bill is effective immediately but much will be delayed
right now - 3 oz is legal, more in your home in a secure place
home grows 18 month delay after dispensaries get setup
6 plants for 1 person, 12 plants per household
the effective immediately did confuse me, still 3 oz legal, how'd that work out with small home grow?
enforcement probably not going to be too stiff, just my opinion on that
and medical home grows in 6 months
kind of like California over the last 20 years but in a time warp

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
3 in flower and 3 in veg doesn't make any sense for outdoor growers....They're all either in veg or flower at the same time...

And for the indoor growers, are they gonna be sending the PP (pot police) around to your house to be sure you only have 3 of each..

Also, which dumbass PP inspector is gonna determine if your plants are in veg or flower...

Hmm, if they see pre-flower pistils on your 3 vegging plants, are they gonna say that it's in flower and haul you off to the pokey?

Don't you just love being regulated by dumb-asses telling you what you can and cannot do in your own house and garden...

igrowone

Veteran
3 in flower and 3 in veg doesn't make any sense for outdoor growers....They're all either in veg or flower at the same time...

And for the indoor growers, are they gonna be sending the PP (pot police) around to your house to sure you only have 3 of each..

Also, what dumbass PP is gonna determine if your plants are in veg or flower...

Hmm, if they see pre-flower pistils on your 3 vegging plants, are they gonna say that it's in flower and haul you off to the pokey?

Don't you just love being regulated by other people telling you what you can and cannot do at your own house...

things may have been hurried here
Cuomo needed something to feed to his wolves before they come for him
the outdoor situation doesn't seem to be well thought out, or there's more to the bill then I've read so far
which isn't much, this thing came at us like a speeding missile
indoor checkups not mentioned, thinking it's more of police in your home for other reasons
and if your grow is too much more grief is dumped on top

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
You've gotta start somewhere.
Massachusetts is 12 mature females. Veg and males don't count.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not sure public smoking is allowed. The taxes on legal pot are going to be epic, this is NY we are talking about.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to run 1500+lbs to bayridge, every week from miami. Maybe now they'll be running it FROM bayridge?
roflmao.gif