What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NY growers and manufacturers get a new potency tax scheme.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Do you suspect that NY's coming recreational weed will be the nations worst quality AND the highest priced???

Of course it will with a 13% sales tax AND an excise tax that growers will pay when they sell their weed and that an edible or concentrate maker will pay when they sell their product.

The deal that legislative leaders brokered with Cuomo (D) calls for a 13% sales tax, 9% of which would go to the state and 4% to the localities, Krueger said. Distributors additionally would collect an excise tax of as much as 3 cents per milligram of THC, the active ingredient in cannabis, with a sliding scale based on the type of product and its potency.

the excise tax in California is per ounce of weed sold and paid by the grower regardless of the potency, $9.65 per ounce of flower.

Cultivation Tax Rates California:

As of January 1, 2020, the tax on cannabis flower per dry weight per ounce will increase from $9.25 to $9.65. Marijuana leaves per dry weight per ounce will increase from $2.75 to $2.97, and fresh cannabis plants per ounce will increase from $1.29 to $1.35.

The rates apply to cannabis that a cultivator sells or transfers to a manufacturer or a distributor.

NY's scheme of 3 cents per milligram would cost a grower of 20% potency bud $170 per ounce in excise tax at that rate, even a penny per milligram would be $56 per ounce tax on the grower.

Regardless of the amount per milligram taxed on the grower the sad truth is that growers will make more money growing mids than high potency weed.

only in NY...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
...(snipped a lot of good stuff)
only in NY...

leave it to ny to ruin the fun
so of course the grower will have to pay for the testing, driving up his costs and slowing down the time it takes for him to get product to market
/i imagine a backlog for quite a while when the labs open up
also, who sets the standards for the tests?
ive seen a few articles about the different testing methods use and there isnt a real consistent method ive seen
/different labs are doing their own thing
i could be wrong on this because i dont keep up on the latest testing news but if its going to cost you to test over a certain percentage i think they need to have a consisten model for testing
/i test all my weed extensively using the latest rolling paper and glass bong/ pipe tech

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
You'll see lots of leafy bud to drive up weight and lower overall potency of the sale item.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
<NY's scheme of 3 cents per milligram would cost a grower of 20% potency bud $170 per ounce in excise tax at that rate, even a penny per milligram would be $56 per ounce tax on the grower.>

Here we go again with weighing the whole flower for THC percent, instead of the oil extract.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420giveaway
add in the wholesale price plus retail mark-up and you are looking at prices that exceed the blk'mrkt

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I'm happy I'm outa NY... money grabbin peckerwoods. Bottom line is, black market, high %, product will cost more..
and the recreational low% (in NY) will be sold to the uninitiated. Edibles here in Florida are a joke and will be too in NY.. I have to eat 8 dispensary theragels to get a buzz.

On the label---->
RECOMMENDED DOSE: Take one theragel, then wait two hours for effect". THC = 0.32% (96mg) and they're talking about reducing these maximum percentages.
This reduction in THC percentage by 30% or so from current maximums. This will, ultimately, cost the patent/user 2-3 times the cost to get the relief they require..

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Yeah snook north vt is pretty much ny to me

That's a sad statement SS.. Both states are fantastic to visit for the nature they present; the people individually are good people but political stances of either aren't my cup of tea.

EDIT: and I'm sorry to bring politics into this discussion..