What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BP gone Hydro

BigPhil

Veteran
So a little about my background, Been growing in coco for 8-10 years hand water'd in a 8 x 8 tent.
Thought it was time I mixed it up a little and treated myself to an Alien RDWC 6 36lt pots.

I haven't made any grow threads for 8 years, Because it's something new might as well pop my Hydro cherry with you lot :D

I was wanting to grow 707 truthband I had 6 freebies sat in my bean tub for a while, I started them off in jiffy pellets, That was my 1st mistake lol as one popped and never grew any roots one was mutant and couldn't grow more than 3 leafs. So now I have a little mixture in my tent of one truthband (I have 2 more in my veg tent) 2 red russian's and 3 L.A amnesia's.

As you can see in my pics the 36liter pots may be a bit of an overkill but should be fine and I'm looking forward too seeing how they turn out. The pump that came with the kit was pants and started sounding like a bag of ball brearings getting thrown about in a dustbin after 2 weeks.... Lucky for me I bought a better a pump as a spare. oase pontec 2000lt pump came with a 3 year guarantee.

Water chiller is set up and ran it 2 weeks prior to use with no problems.

Welcome to my tread and hope you all enjoy the journey with me :tiphat:

Last edited:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Count me in too BigPhil and i know we are going to see some Big buds from you best of luck :tiphat:

BigPhil

Veteran
Count me in too BigPhil and i know we are going to see some Big buds from you best of luck :tiphat:

Thanks DarkSide been researching as much as I can. I know different seeds are not ideal, But I have no mothers at the moment. In Jan I had to cut everything down and pack away. But I have a bunch of great seeds I know I will find a keeper out of every packet. To be fair the 707 truthband will be worth keeping as well :)

Best of luck with this run Big Phil,,s2

Thank you Sir, I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out and smoking some kick ass bud again. A little more down the line, I'd like to have a go at making some beans. About 2 years ago I grown out some Bodhi Lions Milk

The pictures are not the best. But I found the taste unique and the high heavy hitting, It reminded me of some of the older highs. I don't want to lose that so I'm saving the 8 seeds I have left and hope to make some yummy bean's with them.

My res I am having problems with keeping cool. I think I am going to make a tea and see if that keeps the water quality in good shape. If it doesn't I might just by pass the Res and not use it at all. I have moved it away from the water chiller as that kicks out some heat!

I will update with new pictures every week so everyone can see how it's coming along. Welcome and enjoy the show :tiphat:

BigPhil

Veteran
I want to talk about what I am feeding. I am using GHE 3 part at the at a dose of 0.6ml a liter of each. my system holds 175 liter, I've put in 200 ml of Rhizotonic and 30ml of Silver roots Excelurator. original PH was 5.4 and after a day has risen to 5.6 and stayed the same since. My water is not R/O and quite hard so have hard water nutes.

For the tea I have put 10 liters of bottled water in a 15liter bucket. I don't trust the water that much as it has an ec of 0.4. So I bubbling that over night as we speak to rid it of any chlorine if it has any.. My tea will consist of

1-1.5 cups of worm casting's put into an old sock.
0.5 of a scoop of great white shark
2.5 ml of roots Excelurator
30ml of Rhizotonic
And 13 ml of Moloasses per 24 hour brew time

By the time the tea is ready, The system will be ready for a water change. I will also up the feed slightly to 0.8ml per liter.

Running 2 600w with an 8 inch extractor shifting 1000m/3 of air per hour have a 4inch intake and as you can see the fan that I have strapped up because there was no room to have it standing. The fan itself is really quite with no vibration. I have used 20mm washing machine rubber matts under each pot and everything that vibrates outside my grow area.

Yesterday morning I found loads of flies in my bathroom ceiling I smoked boomed the little fookers and have ordered a bottle of Tanlin to mix in with my feed just to be safe. I haven't seen any in my garden but it is best to be safe than sorry!

Here is a picture of a couple of the dead little pests! :dueling: :tiphat:

Dank Demon

Growing herb is a way of life!
Veteran
The very Best of luck to you BP!! When I tried water after doing coco for years it went tits big style lol, soon switched back to coco!! The slightest fluctuation in the e.c or ph and the plants will show instantly as no buffer. Hope your blingy system pulls through!

BigPhil

Veteran
The very Best of luck to you BP!! When I tried water after doing coco for years it went tits big style lol, soon switched back to coco!! The slightest fluctuation in the e.c or ph and the plants will show instantly as no buffer. Hope your blingy system pulls through!

Yeah I hope it goes well as well lol. I would feel a bit embarrassed if they ended up on their death beds lol. But as it is they are looking pretty good, Have some nice white roots coming out. Since I added the roots exelorator can see a big difference in root growth what a great product. The tea should be even better! I was going to try for a full ph swing so they get all the nutes they want, But I guess they are 2 small at the moment to make that much of change to the PH.

Nice to see you here Dank Demon

potty1

Why the tea?
I've grown dwc for many years and tried most things.
The only thing I have in my water these days is ionic grow/bloom.
Honestly simplicity is key here.
As for your temps/res temp I cover everything with newspapers to stop the radiated heat until the canopy covers over your buckets.you can damp them down to keep up the humidity in early veg if you want but the main thing is deflecting heat.
Last thing from me...once your roots get down allow the water level to drop over the week till about half before topping up.
New users keeping the water topped up is the thing that fucks most dwc grows Imo.
Its the gap between the solution and the net pot which is 100%humidity where your feeder/white hair roots develop.this gap operates like aeroponics and is the key to dwc Imo.
Good luck.

BigPhil

Veteran
Why the tea?
I've grown dwc for many years and tried most things.
The only thing I have in my water these days is ionic grow/bloom.
Honestly simplicity is key here.
As for your temps/res temp I cover everything with newspapers to stop the radiated heat until the canopy covers over your buckets.you can damp them down to keep up the humidity in early veg if you want but the main thing is deflecting heat.
Last thing from me...once your roots get down allow the water level to drop over the week till about half before topping up.
New users keeping the water topped up is the thing that fucks most dwc grows Imo.
Its the gap between the solution and the net pot which is 100%humidity where your feeder/white hair roots develop.this gap operates like aeroponics and is the key to dwc Imo.
Good luck.

Cheers man this thread will explain better than I can https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=283038

It is a tea designed for hydro system's. The tea was originally suggested to me by someone who has been growing in DWC for 20 year's so I looked into it. I wanted to use the tea for some explosive root grow and to see if it would keep my Rez water in better condition. I didn't follow the recipe 100% I couldn't source everything.
I have a water chiller set up to my header tank so the water temps are fine in my system. And thanks for the info on the gap. I was going to start to research about that over the next couple of day's I alway's appreciate any info.

Last edited:

BigPhil

Veteran
Good afternoon people

Little update been a week, I know vegging plants are not much to look at but here's some pics anyway. It looks like they are doing okay. The girls have been on the same feed of 0.6ml per liter, PH of 5.6 that hasn't changed at all and the E.C has stayed the same. My E.C from the tap is 0.7 with 0.6ml of the 3 parts of feed and rooting additives the E.C is 1.4

707 Truthband

Red Russians xxl

L.A amnesia

Crappy out of focus pic of the red russian roots.

Here is a pic of one of the 707 truthband's In my veg tent, I have ringed what I normally look for in early stages of picking out the better genetics. I have found in the past that leaves with like 2 points and NOT one to be slightly better than the geno's with single points, Lets call them teeth.

My Rez with the tea in after 2 days feels pretty slimy again. So thrown in a bit of bleach and leaving that for 6 hours before draining and cleaning out!. I have however ordered some insulation material 5mm thick coming rolled up, So when that has come I will rap it up, Cool the Rez water and see if that helps.

Have a nice weekend folks. BP

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
420giveaway
Good afternoon people

Little update been a week, I know vegging plants are not much to look at but here's some pics anyway. It looks like they are doing okay. The girls have been on the same feed of 0.6ml per liter, PH of 5.6 that hasn't changed at all and the E.C has stayed the same. My E.C from the tap is 0.7 with 0.6ml of the 3 parts of feed and rooting additives the E.C is 1.4

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=8804&pictureid=2043765&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
707 Truthband

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=8804&pictureid=2043767&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Red Russians xxl

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=8804&pictureid=2043766&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
L.A amnesia

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=8804&pictureid=2043768&thumb=1]View Image[/url]
Crappy out of focus pic of the red russian roots.

Here is a pic of one of the 707 truthband's In my veg tent, I have ringed what I normally look for in early stages of picking out the better genetics. I have found in the past that leaves with like 2 points and NOT one to be slightly better than the geno's with single points, Lets call them teeth.
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=8804&pictureid=2043769&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

My Rez with the tea in after 2 days feels pretty slimy again. So thrown in a bit of bleach and leaving that for 6 hours before draining and cleaning out!. I have however ordered some insulation material 5mm thick coming rolled up, So when that has come I will rap it up, Cool the Rez water and see if that helps.

Have a nice weekend folks. BP

Looking good BP you say bleach in system maybes try food grade hydrogen peroxide a bit safer i would think, thats all i use if need be.. works well. but i heard others adding bleach in too guess whatever works best, either way its looking well nice .:tiphat:

BigPhil

Veteran
she looks good so far. keep up the nice work.

Thank you Mars :D. Will do :tiphat:

Looking good BP you say bleach in system maybes try food grade hydrogen peroxide a bit safer i would think, thats all i use if need be.. works well. but i heard others adding bleach in too guess whatever works best, either way its looking well nice .:tiphat:

Hay Darksider

No bleach in the actual system that is clean inside the pots, air pipes etc. The chiller is doing it's job
Just the top up Rez that sits there with just a small air pump. I can grow without it I guess, But have got some insulation coming in the post. Thing is I lost my job in Feb and invested all my saving's to stop me spending it after I lost my job lol, Freaked out a bit.
So I'm bit brasic as the moment and trying to work with what I have. I'll have a look into the hydrogen peroxide though.

Cloneman

Veteran
Just the top up Rez that sits there with just a small air pump. I can grow without it I guess, But have got some insulation coming in the post.

I use an aquarium recirculating pump in my rez keeps it much fresher. Gave up on the air pumps years ago, they can drag in stuff from the air which can contaminate your rez/top up, plus they're a PIA.

Good luck mate

BigPhil

Veteran
Cheers Cloneman bro.

Yeah that makes sense. Not bringing anything into it from the air.

Latest posts

Latest posts