What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Aussie Flora and Fauna thread ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
i found them to be very aggressive too ,
least i wasnt imagining it ,, lol .

i had a massive one jump at me 3 times in a row , quite a distance too before he marched back to his hole , well i interfered with him on the way back to be honest and cant say im proud of what i did now i have more respect and know more about them

i was just a bit scared and intended to weed where he came from ,
didnt want to come across him again ,, lol ..

ive been much more forgiving with them since ,
heres one i found , well my grand son found ,
on the wall in my back room ,
no where near the size of the one i found in the jungle,
but still a good size spider ..

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Green Tree Snake

Green Tree Snake

Came visiting just before some rain.

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
he/she is a beauty teddy ,
i love how fast they climb up a tree

always feels good to have those guys around , well except the odd one you ve seen on your veranda that can kill ya .. lol ..

G

Native bee? On a bolted wombok flower. I snapped a flower off to eat and he was so entranced he followed me and landed on the flower as I was holding it.
picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
looks like a bee to me too dots ,
there are so many kinds of native bee , most would be surprised at how many ,
they really seem to like the flowers from the chinese cabbages , pak choy , bok choy etc ,
heres a little chap i found on some of mine ,
and one of the bees from the hives i have checking out a peach blossom ..

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hehe thanks, here we have a lot of these

Syrphidae are flying like flies, they are a lot of different sub species, some are really big.
They can look to bees, and wasps for sure.

T

Teddybrae

Have never seen those blue bees, Wal. We have a blue flying insect but bigger than that. Good pictures!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Have never seen those blue bees, Wal. We have a blue flying insect but bigger than that. Good pictures!
yea first time for me seeing those also teddy ,
since we have had hives here we see a lot more bees of all types ..

heres a bit of what i think is petrified wood with opal in the centre ,
i have a smaller bit u can see the grain a bit better i might add later if i can find it ..

picture.php

picture.php

T

Teddybrae

Can't give you rep, Wal. Must not have posted enuf since I was here last.

But what I wanted to say was we deliberately plant things for the native bees, wasps etc because it's been so fukn dry. I like going to a tree I know of which has native bees inside ... and listening to the many many bees in there. Found them on some Spotted Gum sap ooze the other day ... they must get sugar from that.

I have a man-made native hive too but the bees won't come by themselves and it costs $500 to buy a Queen. So it sits empty on my verandah like a Memorial to dying Nature.

Ooroo!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Hey teddy ,
yes i plant many things the bees like also lately ,,

i noticed the eu bees i have , their activity seems to encourage the native bees also ,
i have seen many varities of native bee now ,

yesterday i saw a green headed one , which ive never seen , nor had anyone i showed ,
he was so fast so hard to get a picture but ill see what i can come up with later ..

the queens for the bee you are talking about , they are black bees ??

my buddy i do bees with is pretty knowledgeable on bees ,
if t here is an easier way than spending $500 bux , ill let you know ,
we intend to start keeping native bees too , just making a hive that is easily harvested seems the hardest part, but he tells me he has a good plan for that ...

T

Teddybrae

This is a very good offer, Cobra! Yes, the little black ones that live in logs or trees. (It's funny. They're tiny but the collected pollen on their legs can easily be seen.) Let me know what yr Mate sez. He may have ideas about attracting a Queen to my hive.

By the way the consecutive floods and then subsequent consecutive droughts seem to have done for the eurobees in our forest. It used to be common to find their hives in Blue gum trees (River Red Gums if yr down south) but no longer are they visitors to our garden.

By the way have you noticed that Mangoes are pollinated by flies not bees? (Maybe by wasps too but I 'm dumb about that.) Our main Mango is in flower (early) and it stinks. I fertilised it with NutriTech's stuff and it has flowered like crazy this season.

Ooroo!

T

Teddybrae

Good morning Wallymod!

Here's a pic of the Bees in question last summer when I was trying to hydrate them. I have posted this pic before here so take it down if you wish. Ooroo!

picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
This is a very good offer, Cobra! Yes, the little black ones that live in logs or trees. (It's funny. They're tiny but the collected pollen on their legs can easily be seen.) Let me know what yr Mate sez. He may have ideas about attracting a Queen to my hive.

By the way the consecutive floods and then subsequent consecutive droughts seem to have done for the eurobees in our forest. It used to be common to find their hives in Blue gum trees (River Red Gums if yr down south) but no longer are they visitors to our garden.

By the way have you noticed that Mangoes are pollinated by flies not bees? (Maybe by wasps too but I 'm dumb about that.) Our main Mango is in flower (early) and it stinks. I fertilised it with NutriTech's stuff and it has flowered like crazy this season.

Ooroo!
hey teddy ,
i asked old mate , he said put your hive near a native hive and rub some of the propolis from the front of the native hive on the opening of your hive ,
that should lure them and they will take care of the rest apparently, hopefully this saves spending so much on getting a queen , eu queen bees are only about $25 usually , a bit of a bargain compared to what you said about the native queens ...

i have a few mangoes , but they are only young and no flowers this season , maybe next one and ill take a good look when they do flower to see whats doing the pollination here ..

Status
Not open for further replies.