What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The sacred ghee

Squiggles

thought id share a recipe for canna butter ive had floating around
came from a men at work mag around 92 before they pulled there pot section

Section 1

1. To make 1 cup of clarified butter you'll need 1¼ cup of butter. (You will lose approximately 25% of the original butter's total volume when clarifying.)
2. Place butter in a saucepan over a very low heat. Let the butter melt slowly, do not stir the butter while it is melting.

3. As the butter melts, it will separate into three layers. The top layer is a thin layer of foam, the middle layer contains the bulk of the liquid (weighing in at about 80% of the total), and the bottom layer is where the water and most of the milk solids are. This natural separation is what makes clarifying possible.
4. Skim the foam off the surface of the butter, discard the foam. Be cautious to avoid dipping the ladle into the butterfat while skimming, as the fat should remain intact.
5. At this point, there are two possible methods for removing the butterfat from the water on the bottom of the pan. The method i chose to illustrate is to decant the fat from the water.

6. Carefully and slowly pour the fat into another container. You can see the water underneath the clear yellow butterfat. If you notice any of the water slipping into the fat, you may need to re-decant your new batch of clarified butter. If there is any water in the clarified butter, and you try adding it to a hot pan, the water will immediately boil when it hits the pan, causing the hot clarified butter to splatter out of the pan and potentially burning the cook.

An alternate method for separating the fat from the water is to use a ladle and skim the fat up and out of the pan, making sure not to let any of the water get into the ladle.

Pour your newly clarified butter to a separate container, and discard the water and small amount of remaining milk fat.

7. If the clarified butter sits for a moment, you might notice more foam float to the top; use a spoon to remove this last bit of foam.

Section 2 now we have our clarified butter

1. add 300 mls water to a saucepan together with your desired extraction material id say around an oz would do

2. bring your saucepan to a low simmer add your ghee(clarified butter)

3. simmer gently for 1 hour and i mean simmer patience here will pay off

4. bring saucepan off the heat and setup your strainer and cheese cloth

strain your ghee to remove any impurites and all the plant material(careful here not to burn oneself )

Section 3

1. place fat/oil suspension into the freezer to let the Ghee set

2. place the set ghee into another pot with 1L water
and Gently simmer for 1 hour refreeze and discard water

3. repeat step 2 for 3-4 times you will have the sacred ghee

Enjoy

rexamus616

Veteran
you got any pictures of the process? sounds fairly simple.... but it would be handy.

nevermind that.... i found a site with pictures.

http://www.asiarecipe.com/clarbutter.html

and an explanation of clarified butter:

Clarified butter is anhydrous milk fat rendered from butter to separate the milk solids and water from the butterfat.[1] Typically, it is produced by melting butter and allowing the different components to separate by density. The water evaporates, some solids float to the surface and are skimmed off, and the remainder of the milk solids sink to the bottom and are left behind when the butter fat (which would then be on top) is poured off.
Commercial methods of production also include direct evaporation, but may also be accomplished by decantation and centrifugation followed by vacuum drying; or direct from cream by de-emulsification followed by centrifugation.

also:

Clarified butter has a higher smoke point than regular butter and is, therefore, preferred in some cooking applications, such as sautéing. Clarified butter also has a much longer shelf life than fresh butter.

interesting shit, man. I'll try this next time.....

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can buy cans of Ghee too, yummy :)

Thanks for the post :canabis:

Technique

Wowzers thats some good effort..

i generally do it this way.. in the biggest pot i can find..

place water half fill it or so boil water. place two blocks of butter. let it melt.
add all the weed. let it boil for a bit then simmer for hours.. usually use the bbq wok outside..

allow to cool.

find similar sized container.. pour thru a pasta strainer, press thru the strainer all the butter out with potato masher or similar.

Discard the junk..

put in fridge come back hours later when butter has turned solid again.

pierce hole in butter and tip out all the water. break up butter put in microwave to melt into whatever size container you want.

put back in fridge and allow to set and enjoy!!

about 50 grams into a cake/cookies that needs 80 or so grams usually and your out for hours.... 6-7 i believe..

happy times!

Squiggles

thanks for dropping in crew

the reason i like the ghee so much is the fact you can't detect the cannabis
if you follow the recipe to a "T" it should just taste like Ghee :D

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
I've got some spare stuff lying around and might have to try this.

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
best canna butter i have seen so far might have to give it a go with some trim :)

just dont ever eat ghee and sea food in the same day unless you wanna be sick for many many days

dgr

Squiggles,
you're putting an ounce of bud into about 1 1/4 cups of clarified butter? Is that about right? And from that, I could make a couple batches of brownies?

Thanks. Only cooked once with cannabutter. It took a lot of brownies to feel the effects.

Squiggles

thats pretty much it mate, the amount of cannabis material is up to you dependant on strength desired in the end, i work on an ounce as if say the ghee is used in brownies you would only need 1-2 pieces

you can also use it in garlic prawns, stirfry, curry any number of baked goods
as long as there is a butter/ghee componet to the recipe

ghee has a higher burning temp which is a god send in most fryed/baked savory dishes

"EDIT" Shroomy id say your experiance with Ghee and seafood would come down to bad seafood or cooking practices mate
in my resturant days i used ghee alot and im happy to say ive never poisoned anyone :)...

Technique

thanks for dropping in crew

the reason i like the ghee so much is the fact you can't detect the cannabis
if you follow the recipe to a "T" it should just taste like Ghee :D

I might have to give it a shot then, you can kinda still taste the weed in my cooking..tho not as gaggg worthy as what some people have offered me before.. i usually only needed one small cookie and your as good as done!! however my "macho" friends have done the whole.. i am not feeling anything after 1 hour and eat a couple more.. this is when things get interesting hahaha..

i might try the long simmer method i use combined with yours and see what happens!

with my trimmings these days i usually just bubble bag it.. unless i get a request off a friend to cook something up.

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
thats pretty much it mate, the amount of cannabis material is up to you dependant on strength desired in the end, i work on an ounce as if say the ghee is used in brownies you would only need 1-2 pieces

you can also use it in garlic prawns, stirfry, curry any number of baked goods
as long as there is a butter/ghee componet to the recipe

ghee has a higher burning temp which is a god send in most fryed/baked savory dishes

"EDIT" Shroomy id say your experiance with Ghee and seafood would come down to bad seafood or cooking practices mate
in my resturant days i used ghee alot and im happy to say ive never poisoned anyone :)...

maybe.. Im not to keen to give that combo a try again any time soon LOL

Squiggles

Hehe i made brownies about a month and gave them away as gifts
A mates mum found them in his freezer and had them for desert with her partner
Whils't babysitting the grandkids.

He came home to his parents giggling on the loungeroom floor watching pokemon :)
They were absolutley off their tits.

The old girl asked me for the recipe yesterday
I had to tell her and all i got was a wink and wry smile.
Nanna is now an IC member.

:tiphat:

rezinfingerz

nice thread squidz, done this b4 backed as he'll and cooked 5gm of bud in 200gm of ghhee, cooked on low simmer for 6 hrs, scraperd her outta the pan to set in the fridge and ate the next morning with bacon and eggs and tasted awesome. too say the least i was whacked off my tits and body stoned 4 2 days. my bad was got mad sick from butter consumption/ fatty bacon and threw up half of it... but i had the munchies :D. Will try ur recipe next time hehe.

Squiggles

i made up some with bubble hash from a pound of bloody epic bushie heads
2 batchies brownies and 1 mud cake hehe fuckin awesome
Coming on a MoOn WaLk Miss Jane cause i am ;)

Last edited:

Squiggles

Flashback

Flashback

Just finished a batch looking good
375 grams of butter
4 ounces trim green crack and thunder fuck

Will return with pics ??
:joint:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Awesome! Ty so much for sharing this. :) Since I'm a blood type which does not do 'dairy' well, clarified butter is one of my go to oils for edibles. Only thing I see I'd have to change is making sure the butter hits 162-166F, which means there isn't any water left when I decant. Without doing this I get 'diary' effects from oils which are still separated.

I remember reading about an interesting experiment a while back. It was one which showed clarified butter absorbed more cannabinoids per gram than olive and coconut oils. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts