What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

exchange rate

maverick

Going to come back over to A'dam.....I was wanting to see if anyone knew where an American can get the best exchange on his worthless dollar????

Rufid

I ordered euro's through my bank.The airport rates caused me to keep 430 euro until I return some happy day.

maverick

Thx IDD that is where i did it last time and at that noticed a fair sized difference between 2 of them there

l_d_d

No prob, usually b4 you leave its better... but it really varies... and changes all the time slightly.

I usually do a lil of both... I believe in Centraal station you can and then right across the street they have places then down Damrak/Rokin they litter the sides... theres the one right next to the Dam square... then an atm around the corner in the shopping area lol, Ive used em all.... and I still say Airport. DOnt forget, lol, when you come back make an investment and change all your leftover cash back to euros heheh

ATM's give a good rate.
But contact your bank to let them know you will be in Europe so they won't deny you due to fraud protection.
Also,ATM keypads there don't have letters on them.
BTW way, the Dollar hit a new low today. It now costs $1.41 plus exchange charge of around 3% to buy one Euro.

l_d_d

^^^^Exactly... and yes atms are good, just gotta watch charges and contacting your bank beforehand is something to do even if its just to know tha score.

Maverick, you, or anyone planning on going overseas anytime soon, or anytime period.... should get their euros now imo if you/they can. Most larger banks in larger cities will have branches with an international teller that will do this for you.

Also, anyone who has large amounts of dollars either in the bank or cash..... not a bad idea right now at all to diversify with Euros, Pounds, Rupees or Yen. RIght now the Canadian dollar.

mr.haze420

Veteran
if you want to exchange cash, go to the lorentz change booth. there is one in the dam hotel on the damrak and one on the corner of damstraat and o.z voorburgwal. best rates for cash. banks are now charging various fee's for using the atm.

G

Buying euros before departure, in the USA for instance, is usually more expensive than most options once one arrives.

ATM's present the best and most convenient way to get cash, if the location of travel is one that offers access to many ATMs. Of course, Amsterdam is one of those places.

If one does not call their Credit Card/Debit Card company and advise of dates and countries of travel problems ensue. Fraud "Protection."

They recommend making this call 1-2 weeks before departure on the Trip.

I usually follow it up with another call a couple days afterwards to make sure that the information was actually applied to my account. Usually it initially is, but not everytime.

Convention time...--------> ! The reward.

maverick

bought them here and bought them there as well and yes got the better deals once I got there.....I remember there were 2 different places that I got them at the airport, and there was quite a lot of difference offered between the 2 places

Latest posts

Latest posts