What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dutch coffeeshops - post your latest reviews here!

NotYourSaviour

@Amsterdab16

I know this other batch you mentioned, only difference now is it's darker due to more pressing and as I wrote the overall package is a lot more feeling natural in texture compared to those blocks around lately(don't know where they're from but I think they're pressed in Europe, only speculation though); especially Green Place' batch looked like most darker moroccans around. Means handling feels a bit more like the other classic high grade moroccans around.
Old School I didn't sample as I got a bag of said Cheese Pollen but it looked like proper blonde classic hash.

@kaochiu

Enjoy your trip! Give us a feedback if you like.

Amsterdab16

@NYS:

Ok good to know, will pick some up in the near future, thanks! On the speculation over block hash if you take a look at ACD forum you'll see I got on a rant, arguing just that yesterday haha; they have a somewhat generic kinda bubble-hashy smell to me, I agree they're pressed in Europe. I thought they may have even been water extracted but now I'm not as sure of that to be honest, what do you think?

kaochiu

Veteran
Totally agree, Amsterdab, the best buds are outside coffeeshops. To be more accurate, i've got them in my jars 'cos i grow them, hehe!
That said, the only time i bought weed outside a coffeeshop was in a street market stall, round the corner from Anne Frank Huis. It was cheaper, not the worst, but not worth another go. I might look italian, so i often got some pusher around whispering "roba, roba". So those are all the outside contacts i've got.
NYS, thanks again. I intend to post here my cs tour michelin guide's style, carrying a notebook and all. Parting with 15 hard earned euros for something i produce for a tenth of that price should allow the bastard judge in me to fluorish.
Grey Area is another that some people told me, but people that open their eyes wide too quick when hearing about hype strains or some popstar visiting. How's their weed?

GoatCheese

Veteran
Grey Area is another that some people told me, but people that open their eyes wide too quick when hearing about hype strains or some popstar visiting. How's their weed?

Hit and miss for me. I have bought top grown UK Cheese from them and absoluty f-ing awfully flushed UK Cheese and then something in between. But that just about spells you what the Dam's weed scene is nowadays. alot of hit and miss deals.

Neat little shop to visit atleast once, thou, and last time i did the cheese was ok-ish. But to me, over hyped shop with hyped up prices. You'll find better prices in De Pijp area.

Kadisnky does nice 20% off if you buy 5 grams. Think you can choose two types of weed/hash to make the 5g. People like their hash selection quite abit, and the few times i have bought weed (Orange Bud, AK 47) from them it has been ok, nothing to rave about, but ok for the price.
:)

Amsterdab16

@Kaochiu

Estás actualmente en Ámsterdam actualmente tío?..., por si quieras quedar en plan de un par de dabs y porritos! :biggrin:

Amsterdab16

Btw @GC I stopped in at Kandinsky last night after much positive chatter about the their "Trans-Himalayan" nepalese temple balls over on the ACD forum.

I'm an avid rosin head, so I promptly proceded to press it, and the product was so bunk that it burst through the side of my micron screen, rather than giving way and yielding any real oil, was quite pissed. That was 12.50 euro down the drown.

On the other hand picked up some very nice classic maroc-resin at coffeeshop flashback in Amsterdam West. It along with Massawa (mentioned in this thread by cannawolf), is one of a handful of Moroccan owned establishments in Amsterdam West that serve up quality old-school style Moroccan resin, for a reasonable pride tag. Recommended.

NotYourSaviour

@Amsterdab16

Water extraction? Most ice-o-lators lack taste in my experience so too not sure about that one. Time will tell.

@Kaochiu

I agree. By the way Grey Area is a popular shop and still one of the better ones in my opinion, you're likely to find something there. Not cheap though(as Amsterdam in general). GoatCheese is nonetheless right, too. Enjoy, it's your holiday!

OGkushklinski

I really like 1ehulp , last went in February I think lol I got some jet fuel & gg4# !! they always have a good menu & a cool stoner cat ! The jet fuel is best I've smoke in Amsterdam , the gg4# was nice too but not killer . The grey area is ok , I got some cherry pie which was some ok kinda, generic looking & tasting weed really disappointing as pie face is my fav of mine . I love the vibe in dam just not been impressed with weed

GoatCheese

Veteran
Btw @GC I stopped in at Kandinsky last night after much positive chatter about the their "Trans-Himalayan" nepalese temple balls over on the ACD forum.

I'm an avid rosin head, so I promptly proceded to press it, and the product was so bunk that it burst through the side of my micron screen, rather than giving way and yielding any real oil, was quite pissed. That was 12.50 euro down the drown.

Yea, i have heard the Trans-Him. being some how off once in a while. Few years ago i read @ACD-forums, people thinking it had some wax mixed in it or something. ..usually people rave about it and recommend it when people ask about Nepalese Temple Balls. But it got good reviews after the few thubs-down-reviews, so hit-and-miss. Never tried it myself. I'm not a huge fan or asian sativa hash.

In general, i think alot of the super-soft, squidgy hash could be actually hash mixed with hash-oil (alcohol extraction). No strain is so oily as these hashes are. I bought some Rifman Durrah from the original Dampkring 6 months ago and it came in between a wax paper. Doesn't feel normal to me.
...think i'm gonna stick to dry shifted hash from now on.

GoatCheese

Veteran
In general, i think alot of the super-soft, squidgy hash could be actually hash mixed with hash-oil (alcohol extraction). No strain is so oily as these hashes are. I bought some Rifman Durrah from the original Dampkring 6 months ago and it came in between a wax paper. Doesn't feel normal to me.
...think i'm gonna stick to dry shifted hash from now on.

In this Strain Hunters Morocco Expedition they show how they turn hash into "oil paste", and i believe they mix this kind of hash paste with dry sifted pollen to make the super squidgy hash
..i'd imagine they use lower quality pollen to make the oil paste, which has more plant material in it.

They start making the oil paste @ 26:20

Strain Hunters Morocco Expedition by Green House Seed Co
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYPLTArkcU

Amsterdab16

In this Strain Hunters Morocco Expedition they show how they turn hash into "oil paste", and i believe they mix this kind of hash paste with dry sifted pollen to make the super squidgy hash
..i'd imagine they use lower quality pollen to make the oil paste, which has more plant material in it.

They start making the oil paste @ 26:20

Strain Hunters Morocco Expedition by Green House Seed Co
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipYPLTArkcU

@Goatcheese: OMG, that's so funny that you posted that video because as soon as you posted that prior comment about oil, I thought of that same video clip (had already seen it).

I've actually got on this thought train before, because several people speculate over on the ACD forum about cutting, boosting and binding agents that may be used or found - even in these "high-end" coffeeshop hashes.

Other people have speculated about various non-cannabis based oils as well, such as just basic coconut oils, or some sort of ghee things of that nature. But the bubbling, and potency of some of these hashes could suggest that they are being both "boosted" and bound by iso (or other solvent) extracted hash oils.

Who knows maybe the Moroccans have enough resin that they're making it with either BHO or solvent techs. I've met some Moroccans that dealt in wholesale in Dam, saying they've been working on hash-bho out in the Rif. Also as mentioned I've an avid hash-rosiner, and most hashes around here yield easily 50% return weight when pressed, so if the dry sifted resin can give a nice yield to be converted into to "oil", then that in turn could be mixed back in with another batch of dry sift??? :thinking:

GoatCheese

Veteran
I believe they make this paste out of low-quality hash/plants, which would other wise be sold for a low price
..but when they turn it into this oil paste, and mix it in with better quality resin, they can get better price out of the low quality stuff ..other wise they woudn't do it.

And the same goes for iceolator, bho etc. Low quality stuff purified and sold for better price.

The Durrah from Dampkring really felt like a mixture of normal pollen and this paste, cause there was visible resin in the hash, but it was dark and very, very soft and quite similar to the paste they're making on the video.

I have also read the speculation about what they mix in the uber-soft types of hash, some suggested animal fats like you mentioned, but i doubt it, cause the few soft Rifman hashs i have tried still burned cleanly and had no wierd taste.

Sure they can mix animal fats and god knows what into low quality street hash, but i doubt they would mix it in with 15 euro/g coffeeshop-hash, sold in the top places.
..so they use shitty hash, turned into oil paste and get top price out of it:biggrin:

kaochiu

Veteran
Hello, back in the jungle. First my apologies to Amsterdab, sorry mate, it would have been be cool to meet, but was totally out of connection, not even a telephone, and just seen your message here. At the end it was five of us going there, so the more the merrier.
We went just twice to the centruum, the rest of the time stayed at De Pijp. Arrived like 10am on friday, and had to wait until 12 for the appartment. So, straight to Katsu for the welcome toke. I had the notebook.
Katsu.
Mango Haze. Best looks of the lot, that was my start. Fruity hazy, fine grass, 10e for 0'7gr
OGKush. I didn't like it, tried much better. 1 gram for 10e
Strawberry Haze Ice. My pal bought it, i've just had a toke, uneventful. 20e 0'7gr
Strawberry Haze. Nothing to do next to the mango. 0'7gr x 10e
Cherry Pie. It was on top of their list. Nothing special, really. 1'4gr x 20e
Amnesia Ice. Like the sthzi, pal bought it. Nothing to call home about.
Lemon Skunk. Please walk on, nothing to see here.
Flower Power. Average weed.
The last three were also bought by friend, 10e of each, but can't remember the weight. We seen new people tending behind the counter every time, but all of them nice and polite and patient. Good ice-coffee, nice ambience in the morning. The grass is ok, well presented, average-up quality, but i'd go straight for the mango haze.

Club Media.
Champagne Haze. Was quite ok, nice hazey grapey. 1gr x 12e
24K Gold. Strongish, nice taste, bit like green plums. 1gr x 16e
Tropical. Strongish stone but plane taste. It was cloudy that day in the tropics.
SuperSilver Haze. Like champagne haze, but without champagne. 2e cheaper taste. 10ex1gr
Pot of Gold. Acrid smell, sour and spicy taste... let's say pot of bronze. 10ex1gr
Kandy Kush. With free nutrients, sweet coughs. (didn't write the price)
We went three times there. The first we went just two of us, it was early and it was empty, but with a nice budtender girl, patient and letting us choose with the nose. Inside a woman with a dog, also nice and polite, we quite liked the place, so we came back with the others. It was empty again and we were very well attended. The third time was also the last, though. It starts with this new superbussiness girl asking for ID's to everyone. The other four range between 23 and 27, and i'm 50. I was waiting politely until she finished, when she asked mine too. I said, don't i look over 21? She answered she had to see my ID by law. This other guy next to her said boringly "don't blame us, blame the king". I dunno if they meant Arjan, or perhaps they both were real patriots on a mission of law protecting the oh so important coffeeshops from potential terrorists, but either way i visited plenty and never ever have been asked for ID, so i akwardly start showing it to them from a distance. As she insisted, i said, "no". Sheppered the lot outside before buying fuck all and never went back there. Pricks. ID my arse. Several hundred euros were therefore spent somewhere else. I've got no patience for stupid.

De Graal.
High Rise. Another haze, close to mango. Strongish. 13e x 1gr
Lemon Kush. Better smell than taste. Nothing great. 13e x 1gr
Silver Bubble. Washed down hazey taste, but good high 13 x 1gr
Chocolope Kush. Bah! Nothing special really, strongish but not memorable 14e x 1gr
Good comfortable place, but too hot inside upstairs if you don't get next to the door. Played chess and lost because the chameleon was staring at me like asking for something. Service was ok most of the times, not cheery but also non-intrusive. All in all, a nice place for chillin.

BushDocter
Tangie. First really nice grass of the trip. Tangerinish smell and taste, good happy high. Maybe the tangie genetics are the best of the lot on offer to Amsterdam tourism. 17'5e x 1gr
NYCD. Average, nothing special. 15e x 1gr
Blue Cheese. Quite good too, at least seemed well flushed. 25e x 2gr
OG Skywalker. As the NYCD, smoke gone uneventfully 25e x 2gr
We sit in the outest table in the terrace, then one of us went inside to choose with the mission of bringing the best on offer and the mango loozas. Didn't go inside nor was tended, so no opinion.

Boerenjongens
Platinum Cookies x Tangie. Nice one, clean and tasty. I think were 15e x 1gr
Banana Glue. Was looking for the hyped GG#4, but guess wot! i found a banana. 15e x 1gr
Mr Budtender's other job is a supervisor in a DIY shop. Polite, but serious and effective, i've felt like asking for wiring tape and some bolts. Then going up to this air conditioned chamber. There were cohibas on display, but strictly no tobacco allowed, or so they said, (in english, but with a dutch accent). He wasn't jongen anymore, nor was looking like any boer, more like from Brooklyn. Three euro for a espresso and no lap dance. Not bad all in all, but the general feel wasn't like smoking a joint in a bar without the waiter calling the cops, which is the reason why i like coffeeshops in the morning.

Stones
Sour Mango. Crappy at 14e x 1gr
Nothing to add. Can't remember the service. I was tired and wanted to go home.

Mellow Yellow
Blueberry Haze. Average up, good and clean haze relaxed down with blueberry. Seemed just what it was. Didn't write the price and can't remember.

1eHulp
Girl Scout Cookies. Fine, never tried it on its own, but i've got a coogie's mother so i'm not totally unfamiliar with the genetics. I prefer mine, but it was nice enough, tasting of olives. 15e x 1gr
Sour Diesel. Likewise GSC, got the Riri cut. Comparatively, this SD at 13e is below average. Good potency but washed down taste.
Sunday morning, people was coming in and out, but not too busy and plenty room. Service was a nice amiable girl and this guy who was a quick dispatcher, so i stick with the girl. As i put a "bah" face when smoking the SD, she tried to sell me stuff with lines like "do you want something stronger?" Ooooh! Yes my dear, what have you got two euro stronger? Oh! Venom SD! I'll have a mango looza instead, love.

Grey Area
Yeti Dawg. Silly names galore for a nice strain, very chemmy and strong
DJGold. Tangie aroma and plentyful sweet and spicy taste.
Pinneaple Haze. Nice smell, again fruity-hazey
Silver Bubble. Nice all round haze but dryer and sweeter
Iceolator Tangie. My friend liked it but i was too stoned and didn't tried.
I'm not sure about prices as the shop was packed and we rather waited outside, leaving the most ready of us (let's call him Skinny Freddy) with the mission of scoring the best dope on offer. He spent 100e altogether and got us that list.

Carmona.
This was the last nite, and we were at home at 10pm. Skinny Freddy went out to buy ciggies and found the Carmona by chance. He came with the most amazing herb ever. Sour Apple Haze. Well, as you opened the bag, it was like crushing a dozen apples. Supper apple. I'm not saying apple-like, nor appleish. I mean applesap looza. It was obviously somehow spiked. SkinnyFreddy was ripped off, but i just couldn't believe something like that could be sold in a coffeeshop. So my other friend and me went there to check up. The place was empty, but for the budtender and a couple of friends having a takeaway dinner. I had to ask for the strawberry haze, and well before it pulled it out the stench of bubblegum (not the weed, i mean strawberry boomer chewing gum taiwanese air freshener) was far too much, and we started laughing. We just left buying nothing, c'mon!!!! We threw away the other gram too. He said nothing.

So, best i've tried was the Tangie Bushdocter, Mango Haze from Katsu and the Grey Area ones. Weather like in summer, Amsterdam seemed alive and kicking. More expensive than ever, that too. Coffeeshops are mechanical with little entrepreneurial spirit and likely stocked from the same rancid old school dealer-distributor offering the same old shit. Also still attractive to the eyes of the non-cannabis tourist as another touristic sight. They will last a good while yet, but this time it felt like little ghettoes. As for choice, only hazes support the general quality aspect, and you can guess many are the same, just renamed. Still, going to Amsterdam and trying cannabis seem a healthy part of the tourist industry. Beautiful city. And gorgeous dutch girls in their bikes, mamma mia! that's prize winning genetics, not the fuckin weed. See you again and wish you best, Amsterdam.

NotYourSaviour

Detailed and also hilarious write-up, Kaochiu:)! Your honesty is much appreciated(as your humour:biggrin:)!

Firstly I have to say in case of Club Media you're the fool then though as you have to take your ID with you doesn't matter where in the Netherlands, it's dutch law(think a lot of people don't know about that). Regarding coffeeshops they can get closed down when they have an inspection of the authorities and one of their customers can't produce an ID during that then.
Undoubtedly stupid and exaggerated as fuck but they closed down so many coffeeshops in the last years for various lame reasons(distance to schools and all that)as they want to improve the image of Amsterdam so every chance is welcome(just look at what's happening to the red light district there). So some coffeeshops are quite strict on this(even though as you reported not all staff was asking for this at Club Media so can really understand your annoyance and most coffeeshops are not that strict only with youngsters. You can see again this dutch coffeeshop scene tends to be quite inconsistent in general. ).
As said especially at your age it's ridiculous to say the very least!

Secondly, you pretty much took the words out of my mouth regarding general situation of coffeeshop supply these days(just look at this thread)and your experiencies with most of the shops you visited.
Since a couple of years weed is mostly average at best, especially classics. Hazes are a different story but too often far from being outstanding. Powerful reviews then as you're growing at home and have a somewhat growing background myself too so often wonder what crappy weed some people grow when they rave about weed in the Netherlands while they're growers themselves(no matter what time of year, perhaps they're sort of fooled by the fact you can openly smoke there and for many it's a holiday they don't want to question), apart from the average tourist only having access to pretty commercial weed at their homes(no offence intended!). Dutch politicans need to wake up.
Tend to still go there for the vibe and hash mostly, can really claim that as know most of the relevant shops myself. Nuff said about that crap.

Funny Grey Area was one of the few offering something after your taste to some point, bit surprised about Bushdocter but each to their own(tend to buy moroccan hash there every now and then).

Seems you had a good time and nothing else matters:)!

Amsterdab16

Coffeeshop weeds is on its deathbed these days it would seem.

I do agree if you're the average joe tourist (canna-tourist) come to Amsterdam for the hash, and (relatively) liberal and open smoking culture, as a Yank we certainly have the most developed and comprehensive laws permitting the recreations producing, consuming and purchasing of cannabis - however there's still no city safer in the world for blazing a fatty on the streets than Amsterdam.

I digress, if you find the right sources outside of coffeeshops, the quality tends to be better (at least from my sources I can always have confidence in the product being properly flushed and cured), and certainly much cheaper.

I can get top-quality hazes for 7 per gram, as well as few other choice strains. (versus 9-10 in coffeeshops)

Slightly more exotic "name-brands" fetch 8 per gram (Casey Jones, Silver Kush, Cali Orange to name a few). (versus 11-14 in coffeeshops)

Finally every once in a while I can get something from someone local, who grows some serious up to date name-brand stuff. (Typically karma genetics) and this stuff will go for 9-10 per g (versus 14-16 in coffeeshops).

However I find that private sources have a harder time competing with coffeeshops on both price and quality for hash, although I know of a few that can beat their prices for sure.

Amsterdab16

Just picked up some Karma OG & Biker Kush from the private-connect, much looking forward to getting off shift and heading home to sample them between my bong, volcano and a pure cone, yum :D

GoatCheese

Veteran
Nice reporting, Kaochiu

Yea, your report just about summs it up ..sometimes you can find really nice weed in A'dam, but usually it's quite avarage in quality. Plants are nice, but the flushing before harvest is usually done half arsed :moon:

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
so, no one is in any other the other Dutch towns or cities? I thought some of you were, musta read that wrong.

what I find near me (30 miles south of Adam) is the quality and prices are a little better as it's predominantly locals market not visitors so consistency needs to be higher. What I also find though is the further south you go the less variety you see and although there are some nice examples of the old Dutch hazes floating about, you don't see hardly anything in terms of the newer hyped US strains (Cookies, OG, Chem) sometimes, but really not very often. Generally though I find the imported hash can be better in some of the southern towns, though many (including the town near me) insist on seeing ID and in some places insist on Dutch ID (no tourists) which is failing badly.

The other thing to note is that in Adam you're looking at an industry, weed is grown on an industrial scale for that market, as such you can't grow 20k plants to the same standards as you can 20 and this reflects in the quality available there. More and more coffeeshop owners I talk to are actually desperate to meet more 1 and 2 light guys, as they know full well, that's where the quality will always be.

Amsterdab16

Hmm I've seen many of the "camp" that out of Amsterdam you find better quality...

My personal take on that is that it's complete bullshit. Though there are many poor saps (re: first-time smokers enjoying the novelty of "toleration") who are easily satisfied by a less than ideal showing of herb quality, Amsterdam once was (and still to in extent is one of the) a Cannabis Mecca. That being said it attracts some of the most well-versed stoners the world over. So the standard needed to impress them is one the whole much higher than that needed to impress even the "regular" Dutch smokers (who despite Amsterdam and their established tradition of "tolerance" are not a very cannabis-appreciating culture when all is said and done).

The top-shelf strains seen on most coffeeshop menus (the OGs & the GSC, GG#4, etc) are guaranteed not grown on a commercial-scale (this should be quite self-evident as one of the driving forces behind the steep price). I know people around the industry so I know this to be fact, but the common sense logic on that should speak for itself.

I as stated personally no longer pick up my bud from coffeeshops. I deal with my main provider who's a broker between several more small-scale growers (they produce enough for what he needs to distribute) several of them focus on more semi-classic strains (casey jones, cali orange) so those are available to pick up ever few months but once they're out it's the waiting game again. Some of the others such as hazes stay constantly on tap because they're passed around a collective that shares clones are growing duties so something is always ready to be on offer.

My guy only deals with honest growers who take the time to properly trim, cure and flush their nugs before making them available for purchase. That being said I can get solid well-flushed bud for much cheaper than any coffeeshop in or out of Amsterdam. Still usually if you go to the right coffeeshops you'll get a good flushed product (although sadly, that is indeed becoming less and less the case)

As far as price comparison between Amsterdam and other towns I find that if you no the right places to go, then the value (price to quality index) is much higher than anywhere outside of Amsterdam (the only shops that offer as good of value as Boerejongens when all is said and done are ones like Blue Tomato in Hoorn, which is wait for it - owend by Boerejongens.)

All of these points considered I will concur that for more classic import hashes you may find both better quality and pricing outside of Amsterdam, which is a plus. However, as Amsterdam is always at the forefront of new cannabis trends in NL (as you said the GSC type strains are typically only found in Dam), Amsterdam is the place to be when looking for these new age bloc hashes (Moroccan Import hash, possibly ice-o-lator'd, grown from Dutch genetics).

Latest posts

Latest posts