What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have a 3rd of all cofee shops been closed?

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
Is it true a third of all coffee shops have been shut?

Cheers.

It will be true but not yet. Any coffee shop within 250 meters of what the Dutch classify as a school will close at the end of 2013.

Whether they will be allowed to re locate is another matter.

Lots and lots of very popular CS will close at the end of this year. If anyone is interested I'll re post a list of the shops......

Rep me if you care and I'll post....

PapstUrban

i have heard all CS in the Warmoesstraat must close to the end of this year :(

Coffeeshop 36, Baba, Greenhouse Effect, Hill Street Blues, Sheeba, Alibaba, Route 66, Coin, Consicious Dreams, Het Oerwoud, Hunters Bar and Stones Corner

very bad news from amsterdam

Puffin13

Lifetime Supporter
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As requested.... Click in the box then the list is on page 2

http://issuu.com/peterlunk/docs/antwoord_wob_verzoek_04-02-2013/1

Thanks for posting this Reg. There has been a lot of confusion about when, if and which coffeeshops closures. Your link cleared that up for me. I will pass it around to friends. It's such a shame that the government can't leave the coffeeshops alone, unless they are causing problems, which the majority of them are not; unlike bars.
Pot Peace.

I

izzywozzywizzy

I dont drink but have toput up with drunken fools everywhere causing trouble.,will they shut down the bars within 250 m of a school .drink is the scourge of Amsterdam or any city in uk not the herb.the drink industry has to much power ..peace

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
vote the fucking conservatards out of office and elect liberals...

sith44

Funny....lets get rid of the coffeeshops...meanwhile the streets are littered with whores and people offering cocaine everywhere. The Dutch government to get it its head out of its ass!

quitelost

Funny....lets get rid of the coffeeshops...meanwhile the streets are littered with whores and people offering cocaine everywhere. The Dutch government to get it its head out of its ass!
That is actually the problem, many conservative dutch people belive that the tolerant legal environment attracts tourists looking for drugs, sex creating the demand that puts whores on the street and coke pushers on corners. They may be right, but this seems to be more a result of their status a tolerant oasis in a prohibitionist world than the fault of some cannabis smokers. People think that "anything goes in Amsterdam" this is wearing down some peoples tolerance and official tolerance is all there is in Holland, cannabis remains illegal.

Sativied

Veteran
i have heard all CS in the Warmoesstraat must close to the end of this year :(

Coffeeshop 36, Baba, Greenhouse Effect, Hill Street Blues, Sheeba, Alibaba, Route 66, Coin, Consicious Dreams, Het Oerwoud, Hunters Bar and Stones Corner

very bad news from amsterdam

Since those are 12 I assume it's the 12 I've been reading about. Latest new is they are combining forces, money that is, to pay the school to move so they don't have to. It's a private school with a hundred students or so.

Sativied

Veteran
I don't know if any of those 12 shops have been closed. About a month ago several were still open, maybe all of them (haven't actually looked at all 12 but walked through the street). The city decided they don't want to close them all at once so the in total 31 coffeeshops that need to close are to be closed between July 1 2014 and Jan 1 2016. If I run into a list with a schedule showing which shop closes when, I will post it here.

A quick search shows no recent news about that idea of buying that small private school.

Sativied

Veteran
Everything is normal ATM

Shops opened

You're implying you checked all the shops which I doubt is the case.

10 shops had to close on July 1st, I don't know if that factually happened though, but several shops have already closed shop earlier this year. Including the beautiful Grasshopper.

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/3582-cannabis-amsterdams-grasshopper (contains more info about Project 1012 and why they will have to go...)

The shops in the RLD that need to close already lost a case that was supposed to prevent it in April. A judge ruled the city can close all the shops they deem necessary without giving any compensation to the coffeeshops. since the city plants to pump 140million euro in the RLD area to clean it up those coffeeshops have little to no chance. Amsterdam (on paper) already stopped the tolerance policy in 18 streets, including the Warmoesstraat (where the formerly mentioned 12 shops are including Baba) so even if there was any truth in buying that school it would be futile.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
damn! it is not sounding good for Amsterdam as things stand. i did hear that a more liberal guy was gonna take over the job of deciding how to implement the drug policy in Ams? some one even said things might be looking up again for Amsterdam as a pot smokers city? looks like i'll have to go for high times to check things out, lol.

Latest posts

Latest posts