What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

5-panel drug screen?

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
One of the most common ways that drug users try to cheat on a drug test is to use synthetic urine or urine from someone else who is “clean.” In order to stay ahead of these companies, drug testing labs have developed different “validity” tests to detect certain markers within urine samples to ensure that the sample given by the donor is actually from them.

Here are a few ways that drug testing labs are able to validate a sample - courtesy of Quest Diagnostics

Temperature – The first way that labs test for cheaters is by checking the temperature to make sure it is within the correct range. Samples that are either too hot or too cold will be immediately rejected.

Creatinine – A substance produced by the kidneys. Labs will measure samples and reject ones that do not meet required levels.

Oxidants - Substances that either oxidize drugs or drug metabolites to prevent detection during a drug test, or affect the reagents in the drug test itself (e.g. Nitrates, Bleach, iodine, halogens, or peroxide). This is the most common way donors try to cheat.

pH – Human urine tends to have a neutral pH balance. Urine outside of the normal range will raise a red flag.

Gravity/Density – Urine has a standard density range in comparison to water. Labs will measure the specimen’s density to ensure authenticity.

In an instance where a sample has been adulterated, as indicated by one of these markers, the donor will be recommended to re-test. Employers may choose whether or not to re-test. In most situations, they do.

rob feature

quest-diagnostics-SVT-levels-chart.jpg

I assume, if it's Quest, I'll be taking the non-regulated

nickman

Veteran
I was popped once because the specimen I had got too cold after having to wait a lot longer than expected to take the Pee test... I even had a warmer wrapped around it... I hate having to deal with that bullshit...

I don’t drink, I like to smoke weed... I think that’s kinda safer anyway... the person that drinks after work can still wake up in the morning hung over and still half drunk...

I’ve never woken up in the morning still high from smoking weed the night before...!!!...

Good luck buddy...

rob feature

I don’t drink, I like to smoke weed... I think that’s kinda safer anyway... the person that drinks after work can still wake up in the morning hung over and still half drunk...

I’ve never woken up in the morning still high from smoking weed the night before...!!!...

Good luck buddy...

At least half of why I'm bailing from my gig now - I work with a bunch of drunks who can't show up on time and don't care about their work. And nobody cares.

and thanks for the luck shot - it never hurts

madalasatori

Veteran
Crazy situation, I live in the U.K. where weed is illegal and yet nobody (except police, train drivers etc) gets tested. Yet in Colorado where it’s legal you have this bullshit. Funny old world we live in

And rob I work with a load of drunks too, all they talk about is how much they drunk at the weekend/are going to drink the next weekend

rob feature

So I decided to go with Quick Fix after talking to a bunch of local folks. Right off the bat I noticed 2 issues which could screw someone up. First of all, the temperature strip is not waterproof. I bought a couple kits - one for practice and one for the big game. The first kit I placed in 100F water for about 15 minutes and it destroyed the temp strip. Good news is I can use my big Bubba coffee mug to keep the contents at temperature 'till I get somewhere. I'm toting around a digital thermometer as well.

2nd issue so far is that the bottle sprung a leak at the cap seal. I did have it sitting under my leg for a while to see how long it would take to warm that way (about 20 minutes), but it's not confidence inspiring to say the least. As I did not inspect the seal first, I have no idea if it came that way out of the box. Gonna go out and buy a jock strap with a cup pocket to keep this thing in.

X

xavier7995

Good luck, sucks about weird quality issues, did it come with the little code or whatever that you can verify it is legit from them? I got mine at some licensed headshop.

I just microwaved it to get it to temp (above actually...to account for drive time) and used both a digital thermometer and the little indicator strip to make sure it was good before heading in.

Man i am dreading the damn inevitable drug test that comes with job hunting. Such is life, fake it once and then in the clear till finding a new company.

Magnificat

Here is what I would do if you can find some clean urine...

I bought small squeeze bottles and those fishtank thermometers who stick to the side to monitor temps as the test will check that you are within range. I also used the same bottles where I collected 3 samples of fresh urine from friends who don't smoke. Freeze it and thaw it on test day.

In the meantime you need to know timing factors. So I would take the bottles I would test with, being same bottles I planned to use for the test. Microwave them with water for various time frames and watch the clock and temps and see how long it would take to get in the range of normal.

Once you have a list of times, you need to know how long it takes to get to the place. It helps to have someone do the driving so you can focus on the time frames. expect a small delay before you have to give the same but drug testing usually only requires a few minutes of check in and right into the bathroom.

finally, on test day... I made a sling using blue painters tape that I could attach to hold in place and it would sit in the crotch area just above your junk so it will remain hidden. Also, the bottles are small and flat so they hide well. Go into the place, check the temps, and first piss in the toilet, then squeeze into sample bottle (it even sounds right), then finish pissing in the toilet for real.. walk out, hand them the sample, and they will temp test it, some sample bottles already have temp strips on them.

And just go for it and good luck.

rob feature

Thanks for all the great advice folks!

I got a little more information today and it's looking like a best-case scenario:

Services
(1):Regulation: NON-DOT

Reason for Test:Pre-employment

(1). eCup

I got to pick the location - a local clinic that's about a mile from home. That should help with transport - very nice that I don't have far to go. Still going to keep the bottle in 100 degree water in an insulated mug - in a plastic bag. I bought a jock strap with a cup pocket for about 12 bucks which holds the cup perfectly - one side of the bottle against my baby makers and the other, with the heater, on the outside.

I especially dig the advice about making it sound like I'm actually peeing. I did think of that, but could see it being the sort of afterthought that might get ya flagged.

I'm going to go do this tomorrow. I have a 24 hour window - just show up whenever and let 'er rip. I was hella nervous right after getting the notification, but after thinking it over for a bit and getting prepared the best I can I think I have a fighting chance. I'll know in 15 minutes. It's a cup type of thing - they dip it right there. No lab.

Thanks once again for all the great advice & I'll make sure to stop back by & hopefully sing the praises of Quick Fix.

rob feature

Well, I took the test almost 3 hours ago. Results for negative screens are supposedly sent within 15 minutes. So of course I start reading and am finding LOTS of people who got popped by the e-cup for nitrites with 6.2. The collection went flawlessly - perfect temperature and no bobbles. No indication from the nurses. No sniffing or shaking of the sample - it went right into a machine on the counter. I got to do it in the privacy of a bathroom with a fan with no observer and the 2 collectors talking outside (both in another room). Haven't heard from my recruiter yet, but I"m starting to think I got sent to the lab - which will come back probably either inconclusive or non-human. Or maybe someone just got busy and hasn't gotten a hold of me yet but this recruiter has been pretty quick to follow up. This is no good for the nerves.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, I took the test almost 3 hours ago. Results for negative screens are supposedly sent within 15 minutes. So of course I start reading and am finding LOTS of people who got popped by the e-cup for nitrites with 6.2. The collection went flawlessly - perfect temperature and no bobbles. No indication from the nurses. No sniffing or shaking of the sample - it went right into a machine on the counter. I got to do it in the privacy of a bathroom with a fan with no observer and the 2 collectors talking outside (both in another room). Haven't heard from my recruiter yet, but I"m starting to think I got sent to the lab - which will come back probably either inconclusive or non-human. Or maybe someone just got busy and hasn't gotten a hold of me yet but this recruiter has been pretty quick to follow up. This is no good for the nerves.

Hope it's the latter. Depending on testing cup, it can show results almost instantaneously. Maybe sent to lab to see the ng/mL (density) or range.

rob feature

Yeah, hopefully so. I did tell him not too long before that I was probably going camping at some point - just to make sure I could fill out any paperwork needed before getting away. He sent that paperwork over about 2 hours later (day before the test). Still it would be nice to know. But I think it would not be the best move to call & ask how my drug screen went :biggrin:

rob feature

So whether or not I get through this one, I learned a few things that I thought I'd pass along for anyone reading this in the future & may benefit from it. I'll certainly follow them again if I wind up in another substitution situation and of course you'll get a detailed outcome of this one as it emerges. If I do fuck up here it won't be due to the collection procedure. It went as well as it could have possibly gone. So this is my best advice to get through that part.

- At least for the fellas - get a jock strap with a pocket (for cups). It took me a while to find one with a pocket though. I was able to find a Shock Doctor 218 at the local sporting goods store for a dozen bux. I found it essential to pulling off the sub. I took a few hours, which I recommend, walking around the house with a bottle and a hot pack in front of my junk - sitting down and standing up and mock filling out paperwork. It gave me not only the confidence I needed to go in and face 8 people for a screen with fake piss hidden only by canvas pants and keep my cool, but also kept everything perfectly aligned and hidden. I was completely comfortable despite having a bottle and heater up front.

- Do a few practice rounds. Imagine yourself standing outside a door and trying to interpret what's going on inside. Some people will do just that I"m sure. Not only that, but if you're adjusting your crotch as you walk, that's going to give you away. Know what it's going to feel like. Know what it's going to be like to make the donation. Why learn on the fly? Check temps each round. Consider that letting the bottle suck back in to let the rest of the product out is going to make a sucking noise if you keep it turned upside down. Consider that dropping anything in the toilet is going to turn your hands blue.

- Have a couple insulated containers around? Use them. I used one to keep my sample in warm water and another with hot water to bump the temp if needed. Just playing around with this on the bench, you should be able to keep yer stuff warm all day long.

- In my experience the hand warmers are good for several hours and do a fantastic job of maintaining temperature at around 100F. In fact one of them is still warm from this morning - the ones that came with the fake whiz. If using the jock strap method, I suggest leaving the heater and rubber band in the jock strap after removing to fill the cup. That way you're fumbling with less stuff and there's less chance you have to fish something out of the terlet with your now blue hands.

- A Digital thermometer will give you further peace of mind. I found both the test strips to be dead on with the digital thermometer, but it's handy for checking water temp if you're using the above method instead of a microwave. Oh, I also mentioned earlier that water disabled the 1st test strip. It came back and it worked fine once it dried out. However if using hot water to keep the specimen warm, keep it in a bag so that the strip stays dry.

- Don't Panic. Easy for me to say, right? This may be one of the most stressful moments some of us will encounter in our adult lives. An opportunity arises, oh shit I have to pass a drug screen - a LOT is riding on this. As unfortunate as this process is, it happens to a lot of us. One major thing that helps with this is preparation. Practice. The peace of mind that you're going into this as prepared as you can possibly be and probably better prepared than your collector. If you can keep a cool head. Different things work for different people. I leaned on preparation - which included no coffee - not an easy feat. Not only is pissing a lot not a factor, but jitters are reduced if not eliminated. But whatever works for you. Meditation, exercise, sleep...whatever. It's only a few minutes and back to your day. Get it in your head that it's no big deal and you'll do fine. At least the presentation. As far as the chemical part - jury's still out

forkup

I went thru something similar recently. Drinking water and the 'cleanout' type kits do not work. I used a testkit from fred meyers to confirm that I was 'hot'. I rigged up a small plastic bottle with a nozzle (nasal spray bottle). I got clean pee from a friend, then tested that to be certain it was clean. I taped the bottle to the crotch of my shorts to alleviate my fear of dropping it. I tested the setup using an infrared thermometer to make sure the pee was warm enough after carrying it around an hour or so in my shorts. When I went in for the test the guy left the door open to a small bathroom as he stood outside and I simply squirted the bottle's contents into his test cup. Passed with flying colors. Good luck to you!

rob feature

Thanks forkup.

I still haven't heard anything about the screen but someone in the office wrote me this morning to get the rest of the paperwork going. I got it all done and kept in touch with them all day through the process via email and phone. They could still be awaiting lab results, but are moving forward with me nonetheless. I'm not in the clear yet for all I know but they haven't told me to piss up a rope either.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I believe that you are!!

Congratulations on a job well done!!

I remember the first time I had the pleasure.

Scared as hell and shaking.

I almost had a heart attack when the bottle was emptying and made a sound.

I was certain that the jig was up until I came out of the bathroom and realized the attendant probably just thought I farted.

I hope the job is just right.

Del_9_THC

I won't claim to be an expert, here, but in the course of my employment, I have reviewed/analysed tens of thousands of toxicology reports, so I have a great deal of experience. My two cents worth is as follows:

First off, they likely won't find any THC in your system, but they might find 11-hyroxy-thc, a thc metabolite. Cannabinoids are lipophillic (I.e. Fat soluable) so urine tests usually don't find great amounts, if any at all. (They could find some metabolites, if administered shortly after consumption, but if you abstain for one week, any remaining metabolite would not be hanging around in your urine in great amounts for that long) Blood/saliva tests?....maybe...Again, if you have abstained for longer than a week, it is doubtful they would find any. Indeed, I would challenge any of these findings as "false positives"....but the employer, who may not be scientifically literate, might not buy into that argument.

I am not saying that it is impossible that they will find any metabolites, but the likelihood greatly decreases over time.

If you have a week, then, abstain and do not hang around friends or anyone who is smoking.

Second, if any metabolites were found, since you live in a legal recreation state, you could claim that you were at a party around people who were using. This could buy you time, possibly for a second test if any metabolites were found....in which case you would abstain so next test you come out clean.

Another issue is that you could claim you are taking meds which show up as a false positive on the thc test.....I won't say which ones, so that this excuse does not become common place and hence no longer works....hint: look up treatments for GERD.🤔

If you can have a good argument for false positive results, you might a get a second chance....and that means layoff until,you sign the contract.

Note: Some tests are, indeed super sensitive, but often those super sensitive tests also give rise to the greatest numbers of false positives, so, paradoxically, in some cases, they could be the least accurate.

Tests which might be highly reliable for cannabinoids (I.e. Liver samples) are not going to be taken from living subjects. 😉 Even blood samples, would be a rare type of test to administer. Any time someone is going to jab a needle into your arm, an intelligent person would refuse such a test unless it was administered by a licensed medical person, such as a nurse or physician.

Good luck!

rob feature

Good stuff y'all. Thanks once again for all the great posts.

I finally got word about the drug screen specifically. Not sure why it took so long (maybe it went to the lab?), but I Passed! :dance013: :woohoo:
I"m just glad nobody was here when I got the message. I did a pretty ridiculous dance, a bit of screaming and hawwing, and probably some other potentially embarrassing things. I'm not sure why but it felt like a huge accomplishment. It was probably more along the lines of a huge relief. I know I have the job and that seriously relieves most of the stress I have been carrying. Now to go celebrate with a nice lunch and a long bike ride.

I do love a happy ending :biggrin:

Mountain Wizard

Awesome. Good job! Just wanted to add one note. They also sell "underwear" to conceal the urine bottle. They're like nylon or polyester or whatever like bike riding shorts style, with a long sleeve down the front that goes all the way down and under your jewels. You can literally reach down in and take the top off ( better than using squirt top) pour it in the cup and replace it without it ever even being seen! The sleeve is big enough for a sub sandwich, and stretchy so very easy. It's a little more than a jock strap, but if you don't have loose pants on, the straps can be seen around the top of the thighs. Glad you passed bro!