What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rumors of USA Recession ? If so will Cannabis be impacted?

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Here in social there are many licensed Cannabis shops with delivery services starting at 70 an oz for mid greenhouse within an 15 mile delivery area in orange county.

With current economy downturn rumors
Will this force out more mom and pop Cannabis operations to move to other places?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
In Hemet CA (inland empire) there ws one little dive dispensary on Hwy 74. It closed. The delivery service (Da Spot) has better deals and it arrives on your driveway in no time. But what are you getting?

As for the economy, there is the free printed economy for them, low wage high infltion economy for the rest of us. IMO dope is priced by the law of supply and demand, with a little LE activity to tip the scales in favor of demand.

MedFaced

I don’t know about the next time around, but I can say I did just fine in 2008. With the new laws however, it may finally start to hit the smaller guys. A lot has changed. I would guess that black markets particularly in prohibition states will also be just fine. Being unemployed doesn’t stop folks from seeking relief and relaxation.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
BUSINESS
Pot firms face a cash crunch and no access to U.S. bankruptcy protection

MedMen recently slashed its corporate staff by more than 40%. Above, marijuana products for sale at a MedMen store in 2018. Story from need la times..
DEC. 17, 2019
3:47 PM

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
I don't know if it is appropriate to say that Cannabis leads the way or Cannabis is king or this is an example of a canary in the coal mine (litmus test or early earthquake warning).

However the economics lesson is apparent. If we look at this like any other commodity say corn or rice. We see that there are a couple big players who think they can steam roll everyone by supplying the entire crop for everyone.

What it means is lying and cheating and stealing just so that some corporate used car sales personality can brag about their shiny expensive stuff.

If I offer to sell high grade cannabis for $100 per pound, there isn't anything actually stopping me from doing that. Giving tax breaks to large commercial grows is only trying to sabotage smaller growers like me.

Because I am going to smoke cannabis no matter what. And the indoor stuff is too expensive. If I can grow it for $100 a pound then that means the commercial producers are stealing. There is only one pie, there is no such thing as magical loans or magical electric bills or magical five ounces of rosin from thin air. Real accounting

1 + 1 = 2

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
on one hand someone might think mad man should be allowed to profit

on the other hand we argue it is too much profit gouging

at the end of the day it is the same thing, hollywood store tries to sell 1/8ths of nasty indoor sh!# for more than a hundred per eigth while paying employees less than that

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
for example i get in a fight with independent ic mag growers confusedly about cannabis quality or money

or legal cannabis growing rights

and a dispensary shop that overcharges is like a sabotage plot to split us all up
so you can continue popping up more starbucks franchise shit mcsandwich prerolls

St. Phatty

People don't smoke less Cannabis during a recession.

Especially if they're laid off and have more sofa time.

There's plenty of Cann. start-ups that over did it with the debt so that will strangle them if "industry revenues" collapse.

The Gifting Industry is going strong.

Some guy bought a lamp, gave them some big Sativa buds.

WelderDan

Veteran
Recession hits us all in different ways. I'm sure it will impact both small and large growers in one way or another, as it impacts the consumer. Now how much that impact will be is unknown. Too many variables.

I do know that weed will get you through times with no money better than money will get you through times with no weed.

I also know it won't impact me much one way or the other.

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
not everyone is a cannabis smoker and my personal philosophy wasn't quite as strong or focused about this issue a couple of years ago

but if you figure living well making ends meet on your own is a goal, having property or a place your own resources

earlier in life i thought about credit debt and loans consciously, "ok this contract I'll be paying back." in hindsight, retrospect, CEOs do not pay back a loan, they receive income. we can kind of put on a pair of glasses and look at life as a game, if you borrowed your way into the white house or a new job or pair of trainers (sneakers) [shoes] that's it you did it. whether or not, or when, you think about paying what you borrowed, becomes something other than clear. it doesn't really matter. there is the kind of fighting that is violent as in armed conflict or a war. a distinct separate phenomenon at least i think completely unrelated, is the concept of debt. if you just wipe it off or say no thanks not paying that i disagree, well you aren't going to jail just look at the so called leader who just got impeached. he always brags about borrowing money... and he is a loser...

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
there is a stupid country club game going on all over where some dunce child gets a special hat and fancy birthday party when they receive a promotion at the company

and they are [practically] all related to one another

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
there is a full circle, childish idiots who are happy to brag about their own superiority, now at this moment in time looking real suspicious, guilty rather, about their actions. senior citizens hired what their relatives or shills and from where i stand now they look like the immature ones, basically afraid to step up my dad can beat up your dad like that... losers but don't worry they are printing more gold medals as we speak

art.spliff

ICMag Donor
the idea is that if it was a zoo then some people would lose, only it's already a zoo, and all the fruit is in one place there are only like three people...

MedFaced

BUSINESS
Pot firms face a cash crunch and no access to U.S. bankruptcy protection

MedMen recently slashed its corporate staff by more than 40%. Above, marijuana products for sale at a MedMen store in 2018. Story from need la times..
DEC. 17, 2019
3:47 PM

Well ya, for the pump n dump scammers. MedMen isn’t exactly the little guy. It’s a multi million dollar operation that’s running on investor cash through stock dilution practices. Im not sure they’ve ever been profitable as a company. The two dudes that started it are living like playboys flying in private jets, writing million dollar bonuses for themselves, and hemorrhaging cash that came from eager investors.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just like other vices in a recession- gaming, alcohol, tobacco, cannabis- looking for lower cost, finding a deal has always been there in a recession.

And yes, all indicators point towards recession. Even though economy 'seems' to be strong, wages have not increased much and utilities, rent, mortgages continue to climb.

T

Teddybrae

HA HA, Phatty! "The Gifting Industry ..."!

I like to receive gifts ... and give them!

Long live the Voluntary Ethic!!!

People don't smoke less Cannabis during a recession.

Especially if they're laid off and have more sofa time.

There's plenty of Cann. start-ups that over did it with the debt so that will strangle them if "industry revenues" collapse.

The Gifting Industry is going strong.

Some guy bought a lamp, gave them some big Sativa buds.

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the alcohol business there's a saying, in good times people drink. In bad times they drink more.