What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Setting up a Headshop in the uk

GGNo2

Me and a friend were talking last night about how tough it is to get seeds locally. We both grow and live in a small town which is and it's surrounding area full of growers.
Most of which are not happy or suspicious of ordering seeds online.
The friend in question has never purchased seeds online and would drive miles to pay cash.

Anyway we got talking about setting up a Headshop in town to supply the usual pipes, bongs and papers but also to stock a small selection of seeds.

Now I've been looking into it as it is something that between us could be set up quite easily and quickly.
The thing I'm concerned about is the grey area in law. Theres a law that makes supplying items that make drugs available for consumption illegal but there's no definition of what these items actually are in UK law.
This is why headshops can set up legally BUT it seems if a local council or police force are asresholes they can Infact shut you down and even bring prosecution.

I read about a shop in Leeds called Fantasia that in 2014 was raided, stock as in pipes bongs and grinders were confiscated and the owner and employee were fined £800.

My question is to anybody with any experience of headshops, is it worth it? Would we get shut down or is it just a local issue? We do kind of have a dick council and police force and headshops that have opened and disappeared locally in the last decade.

Cheers

potty1

I was under the impression your not aloud to sell seeds In the same shop as paraphernalia.
Also there's not enough cash in it to run from a fixed premises (hence why most headshops punt out stuff "under the counter")

GGNo2

I was under the impression your not aloud to sell seeds In the same shop as paraphernalia.
Also there's not enough cash in it to run from a fixed premises (hence why most headshops punt out stuff "under the counter")

You know what I seem to recall reading this sometime ago but I know of a few headshops that indeed sold seeds and paraphernalia. I've even know of grow shops that have sold seeds.
More research needed I guess, like I say the whole business of headshops in general seems a bit shaky in UK law.

My friend is dead set on the idea and I would like to get in on it with him but I'm not as bullheaded as him. I'm cautious to a fault.
I don't want to spend 1000s to have it all taken away before we even get profitable if we ever got profitable.

I think the main problem headshops had locally was location. They were always in some dumpy area out of the way.
My friends plan was to open one more central, our town centre is failing, plenty of empty units on the highstreet and low rates to attract new businesses.
I just don't think personally that our council would welcome a Headshop with open arms.

GGNo2

Just had another quick read. You can sell seeds along with paraphernalia but you can't sell seeds from the same premises that supplies grow equipment. So grow shops ain't allowed to sell seeds tut tut we have some naughty local grow shops or did anyway.

I also just read about another Headshop owner who was prosecuted for selling seeds. Even when selling seeds is legal in the UK.
Its crazy.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It depends a lot on the local council - if they want to cause problems for you - then they will - if you live in a more liberal minded, and governed area then that is unlikely - what sort of council are you under? - conservative/labour/lib-dems?

For over a decade I was in the head-shop - seed-shop - grow-shop - tattoo/piercing bizz in the UK - and also had the Seedboutique in Amsterdam.

GGNo2

It depends a lot on the local council - if they want to cause problems for you - then they will - if you live in a more liberal minded, and governed area then that is unlikely - what sort of council are you under? - conservative/labour/lib-dems?

For over a decade I was in the head-shop - seed-shop - grow-shop - tattoo/piercing bizz in the UK - and also had the Seedboutique in Amsterdam.

You see at the moment we are a labour council but only just. Our town was being watched by the whole of the uk in the European elections this year to see who won our seat and Labour snatched it.
Unfortunately though on the whole our town is tory minded and very Conservative in its ways.

Like I say, I've seen headshops come and go locally but have never know why they disappeared. One minute they're there and the next it's a hair dressers or a European food shop.

Maybe I just need to track Down a previous owner and see what went tits up for them.
I mean some I think it may have been a location issue with not much traffic but if one was to be set up more central in town I think it could do well.

I do fear our council would be the downfall.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Try and set up a regular coffee shop - that also sells head-shop stuff and seeds - you could probably also sell all the CBD products - even legal CBD flowers - and if you can make a go of it - then you will be well placed - if ever they legalize cannabis (THC) to be sold in coffee shops - but first - If you have a local lib/dem council rep - then have a word with him/her - the lib/dems are all for legalization of cannabis - and might be able to give you some sound advice about your area.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As far as Ian aware,,,you can sell beans and head stuff but no hydro or grow stuff ,,,
My dear old friend “ Dr Chronic” (the original DC) had the council come down to his head shop and it was seeds/ headstuff or growing supplies but ya can sell both,,,,
He got rid of all the grow bits,,,I copped quite a few bits I never used and kept his seeds, bongs ,etc , this was iaround 2003,,,,
So things may have changed now,,,
All the best OP,,,,,,,s2

GGNo2

Try and set up a regular coffee shop - that also sells head-shop stuff and seeds - you could probably also sell all the CBD products - even legal CBD flowers - and if you can make a go of it - then you will be well placed - if ever they legalize cannabis (THC) to be sold in coffee shops - but first - If you have a local lib/dem council rep - then have a word with him/her - the lib/dems are all for legalization of cannabis - and might be able to give you some sound advice about your area.

Brilliant thank you. I will pass this on to my friend. If we do decide that next year we're going to do this I will be contacting our local lib dem 1st to get a feel for the water.

The cbd flowers thing, wasn't a guy in the UK just prosecuted for selling the cbd flowers?
We had actually planned to have a coffee and seating area so the coffee shop does sound like a winner.
Thanks for the imput it's greatly appreciated :tiphat:

GGNo2

As far as Ian aware,,,you can sell beans and head stuff but no hydro or grow stuff ,,,
My dear old friend “ Dr Chronic” (the original DC) had the council come down to his head shop and it was seeds/ headstuff or growing supplies but ya can sell both,,,,
He got rid of all the grow bits,,,I copped quite a few bits I never used and kept his seeds, bongs ,etc , this was iaround 2003,,,,
So things may have changed now,,,
All the best OP,,,,,,,s2

Yeah I read the same. I don't know about things changing. It seems the closer we are to legality the harder the nay sayers are fighting it and using anyway they can to stamp on it.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
There have been many CBD cannabis shops/cafe's recently set up - the current leader of the Labour Party's son has set one up in North London - and from what I can gather - all of them are making good business - although some are placed in 'awkward' council areas - and have been hassled -

GGNo2

There have been many CBD cannabis shops/cafe's recently set up - the current leader of the Labour Party's son has set one up in North London - and from what I can gather - all of them are making good business - although some are placed in 'awkward' council areas - and have been hassled -

Oh I'm getting excited now :biggrin:

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran

Yes,, I believe there a couple over near Brick Lane in Tower Hamlets masquerading selling CBD lol it’s normal thc cannabis’s,,,s2

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Is Tunisa in the UK? I don't know. But there is nothing within an hour of me that can be taken seriously, yet the next county openly state they have no interest in busting home grows, unless they cause a problem. It's simply not economical.

Skeg-Vegas or Blackpool. Bournmouth, or Brighton. All coastal so people can't come from one direction. But all worth a day trip. If you expect people to drive for an hour or more, it's nice to give them something else to do their. These coastal places can support headshops, as people wander about just looking for something to spend on. Making it safer for the seed buying customer to slip in under the tourist banner. Seeds are, after all, souvenirs. Plus living by the sea isn't that bad.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is Tunisa in the UK? I don't know. But there is nothing within an hour of me that can be taken seriously, yet the next county openly state they have no interest in busting home grows, unless they cause a problem. It's simply not economical.

Skeg-Vegas or Blackpool. Bournmouth, or Brighton. All coastal so people can't come from one direction. But all worth a day trip. If you expect people to drive for an hour or more, it's nice to give them something else to do their. These coastal places can support headshops, as people wander about just looking for something to spend on. Making it safer for the seed buying customer to slip in under the tourist banner. Seeds are, after all, souvenirs. Plus living by the sea isn't that bad.

Sorry but a lot of Brits won’t now go to Tunisia ,,
When a load of holiday makers were massacred on there sun beds a few years back,,,I have been to Tunisia a number of times and they are lovely people but there police force etc are “ cowards”,,,
Called this by there own government as police officers hid around corners, hid lying down in speedboats and took 45 mins to reach the crime site when it should have took 8 minutes,,,,
Hid ! Whilst holiday makers were massacred,,,
Cowards so good luck with there ditch weed,,,,,s2:tiphat:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
If you are a grower, I'd advise against, its only drawing attention to you. If you're prepared to quit ( at least for the first year), then quit. Then actually go and speak to both the council, parish and county, and also the police about it.
Even if you get the nod, local people may complain, and you're still gonna get a visit or two.
If you do it, put in the minimum cash. Open a company, and borrow as much of the start up as you can. That way, if for some reason it does go tits up, you can walk away from it and your debts, with your cash safe. After 2 years I want an invite, but not before.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If your from the Fens then Skeg-Vegas might be your answer. Obviously your just around the wash from KingsLynn there though. Where Herby set up in the corner of a headshop. I'm not sure if he is still there now, after a post about sending seeds out from Spain now. My last visit found staff from eastern Europe on the counter. It's 3 years since I drove out there though. I'm not sure if he has vacated the premises or not. Leaving a place open in the market, that has a track record. Skeg though.. Skeg would be better. A lot more foot traffic. More holiday money. More reasons to visit. Better transport links. Probably existing shops you could get in with. It's quite do-able. Or move inland, on the main M1 or A1 corridors.