Setting up a Headshop in the uk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up a Headshop in the uk

Me and a friend were talking last night about how tough it is to get seeds locally. We both grow and live in a small town which is and it's surrounding area full of growers.
    Most of which are not happy or suspicious of ordering seeds online.
    The friend in question has never purchased seeds online and would drive miles to pay cash.

Anyway we got talking about setting up a Headshop in town to supply the usual pipes, bongs and papers but also to stock a small selection of seeds.

Now I've been looking into it as it is something that between us could be set up quite easily and quickly.
    The thing I'm concerned about is the grey area in law. Theres a law that makes supplying items that make drugs available for consumption illegal but there's no definition of what these items actually are in UK law.
    This is why headshops can set up legally BUT it seems if a local council or police force are asresholes they can Infact shut you down and even bring prosecution.

I read about a shop in Leeds called Fantasia that in 2014 was raided, stock as in pipes bongs and grinders were confiscated and the owner and employee were fined £800.

My question is to anybody with any experience of headshops, is it worth it? Would we get shut down or is it just a local issue? We do kind of have a dick council and police force and headshops that have opened and disappeared locally in the last decade.

Cheers

I was under the impression your not aloud to sell seeds In the same shop as paraphernalia.
    Also there's not enough cash in it to run from a fixed premises (hence why most headshops punt out stuff "under the counter")

Comment

Originally posted by potty1 View Post
      I was under the impression your not aloud to sell seeds In the same shop as paraphernalia.
      Also there's not enough cash in it to run from a fixed premises (hence why most headshops punt out stuff "under the counter")
      You know what I seem to recall reading this sometime ago but I know of a few headshops that indeed sold seeds and paraphernalia. I've even know of grow shops that have sold seeds.
      More research needed I guess, like I say the whole business of headshops in general seems a bit shaky in UK law.

My friend is dead set on the idea and I would like to get in on it with him but I'm not as bullheaded as him. I'm cautious to a fault.
      I don't want to spend 1000s to have it all taken away before we even get profitable if we ever got profitable.

I think the main problem headshops had locally was location. They were always in some dumpy area out of the way.
      My friends plan was to open one more central, our town centre is failing, plenty of empty units on the highstreet and low rates to attract new businesses.
      I just don't think personally that our council would welcome a Headshop with open arms.

Comment

Just had another quick read. You can sell seeds along with paraphernalia but you can't sell seeds from the same premises that supplies grow equipment. So grow shops ain't allowed to sell seeds tut tut we have some naughty local grow shops or did anyway.

I also just read about another Headshop owner who was prosecuted for selling seeds. Even when selling seeds is legal in the UK.
        Its crazy.

Comment

Good Luck
          I'm probably up to no good.

Terpene Amplification

Comment

It depends a lot on the local council - if they want to cause problems for you - then they will - if you live in a more liberal minded, and governed area then that is unlikely - what sort of council are you under? - conservative/labour/lib-dems?

For over a decade I was in the head-shop - seed-shop - grow-shop - tattoo/piercing bizz in the UK - and also had the Seedboutique in Amsterdam.
            'It can all start from a seed'

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy Nirvana View Post
              It depends a lot on the local council - if they want to cause problems for you - then they will - if you live in a more liberal minded, and governed area then that is unlikely - what sort of council are you under? - conservative/labour/lib-dems?

For over a decade I was in the head-shop - seed-shop - grow-shop - tattoo/piercing bizz in the UK - and also had the Seedboutique in Amsterdam.
              You see at the moment we are a labour council but only just. Our town was being watched by the whole of the uk in the European elections this year to see who won our seat and Labour snatched it.
              Unfortunately though on the whole our town is tory minded and very Conservative in its ways.

Like I say, I've seen headshops come and go locally but have never know why they disappeared. One minute they're there and the next it's a hair dressers or a European food shop.

Maybe I just need to track Down a previous owner and see what went tits up for them.
              I mean some I think it may have been a location issue with not much traffic but if one was to be set up more central in town I think it could do well.

I do fear our council would be the downfall.

Comment

Try and set up a regular coffee shop - that also sells head-shop stuff and seeds - you could probably also sell all the CBD products - even legal CBD flowers - and if you can make a go of it - then you will be well placed - if ever they legalize cannabis (THC) to be sold in coffee shops - but first - If you have a local lib/dem council rep - then have a word with him/her - the lib/dems are all for legalization of cannabis - and might be able to give you some sound advice about your area.

Comment

As far as Ian aware,,,you can sell beans and head stuff but no hydro or grow stuff ,,,
                  My dear old friend “ Dr Chronic” (the original DC) had the council come down to his head shop and it was seeds/ headstuff or growing supplies but ya can sell both,,,,
                  He got rid of all the grow bits,,,I copped quite a few bits I never used and kept his seeds, bongs ,etc , this was iaround 2003,,,,
                  So things may have changed now,,,
                  All the best OP,,,,,,,s2

Comment

Try and set up a regular coffee shop - that also sells head-shop stuff and seeds - you could probably also sell all the CBD products - even legal CBD flowers - and if you can make a go of it - then you will be well placed - if ever they legalize cannabis (THC) to be sold in coffee shops - but first - If you have a local lib/dem council rep - then have a word with him/her - the lib/dems are all for legalization of cannabis - and might be able to give you some sound advice about your area.
                    Brilliant thank you. I will pass this on to my friend. If we do decide that next year we're going to do this I will be contacting our local lib dem 1st to get a feel for the water.

The cbd flowers thing, wasn't a guy in the UK just prosecuted for selling the cbd flowers?
                    We had actually planned to have a coffee and seating area so the coffee shop does sound like a winner.
                    Thanks for the imput it's greatly appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by 944s2 View Post
                      As far as Ian aware,,,you can sell beans and head stuff but no hydro or grow stuff ,,,
                      My dear old friend “ Dr Chronic” (the original DC) had the council come down to his head shop and it was seeds/ headstuff or growing supplies but ya can sell both,,,,
                      He got rid of all the grow bits,,,I copped quite a few bits I never used and kept his seeds, bongs ,etc , this was iaround 2003,,,,
                      So things may have changed now,,,
                      All the best OP,,,,,,,s2
                      Yeah I read the same. I don't know about things changing. It seems the closer we are to legality the harder the nay sayers are fighting it and using anyway they can to stamp on it.

Comment

There have been many CBD cannabis shops/cafe's recently set up - the current leader of the Labour Party's son has set one up in North London - and from what I can gather - all of them are making good business - although some are placed in 'awkward' council areas - and have been hassled -

Comment

There have been many CBD cannabis shops/cafe's recently set up - the current leader of the Labour Party's son has set one up in North London - and from what I can gather - all of them are making good business - although some are placed in 'awkward' council areas - and have been hassled -
                          Oh I'm getting excited now

Comment

Yes,, I believe there a couple over near Brick Lane in Tower Hamlets masquerading selling CBD lol it’s normal thc cannabis’s,,,s2

Comment

Here is an old link about Jeremy Corbyn's son's café/shop - from The Daily Fail -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...est-craze.html

Comment

Working...
                              X