What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Thread Search Feature!

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
The member search is now more prominent on the members list page, and the useless alphabetical search is gone. :)
Anyway we can get the "My Posts" page to refresh the search more frequently so that we can get updated results? I list to see threads bold AND move up the screen if possible without too much of a strain on the server.

btw - what open source search programs do we use here?

Cheers!
Budelight

Skip

Veteran
Anyway we can get the "My Posts" page to refresh the search more frequently so that we can get updated results? I list to see threads bold AND move up the screen if possible without too much of a strain on the server.

btw - what open source search programs do we use here?

Cheers!
Budelight
This happens because vb only refreshes searches each hour.

"In order to conserve resources, vBulletin will allow search results to be shared among users for one hour. The downside of this is that search results can appear out of order if a thread is updated in the interim."

If we disable this, it will make the site less efficient and put more of a strain on the server. However the new Title Search and New Posts are not affected by this limitation.
One thing you can try is going to your profile and clicking on "My Posts" there. This is a slightly different search and should produce more up-to-date results. But if you do it twice in a row you'll likely get the same results.

None of our search code is open source.

Skip

Veteran
You go to the forum in question and there's a link to search that forum at the upper right.

Skip

Veteran
The "More.." like doesnt work it seems.
Thanks for reminding me to delete that link. You get a maximum of 100 results on the title search. All the more reason to be specific in your searches and in titling new threads.

budelight

Discovery Requires Experimentation
Veteran
Hey Skip,

Noticed improved performance with the "My Posts" showing updated info per our chat.

Thanks a bunch!!!
BeL

tehmaster

Hey skip i would just like to say thanks, i actually did the notice the difference from other forums search feature, because for some reason on ic IM BEING ABLE TO FIND WHAT i needed, it just works better than alot of search features !
I'm glad you posted this because with many successful "searches" i knew there had to be some sort of advanced magic behind the curtain making it perfect.
I can't thank you guys enough for this, and the search feature is working like a well oiled machine !

C

cyber echo

You know you can always use google to search this site ?

Search: ++site:icmag.com ++"phrase"

tehmaster

That's a useful little code there.

but you know google can and probably will , on record, be archiving all of your searches?
Not to mention they censor pages to their discretion, they even censor crime statistics.
Google ain't what it used to be.

I recommend staying far far away and using startpage, who doesn't log or report your ip/ search histories.

Neekz

That's a useful little code there.

but you know google can and probably will , on record, be archiving all of your searches?
Not to mention they censor pages to their discretion, they even censor crime statistics.
Google ain't what it used to be.

I recommend staying far far away and using startpage, who doesn't log or report your ip/ search histories.

It will always be logged somewhere regardless, unless using TOR ...

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran

i'm not sure i understand your search, but i just use this(assume i am searching bogglegum)

bogglegum:icmag.com

that's all you need

Skip

Veteran
i'm not sure i understand your search, but i just use this(assume i am searching bogglegum)

bogglegum:icmag.com

that's all you need
I've always used something like:
site:icmag.com bogglegum
for google searches

But now I use duckduckgo.com